***Official Aggies vs. 2017 MLB Draft Thread***

62,292 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by oragator
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Boston picked college seniors in Rounds 8, 9, and 10. They will probably sign for around $10,000 each saving Boston a little more than $400,000.

Take a look at last year's signees in those rounds. That is a pretty typical plan for teams that pick a few more high $ draftees earlier in the draft: http://m.mlb.com/news/article/183906680/2016-draft-signing-and-bonus-tracker/
sincereag
Very happy to see that Zach will end up in Aggieland! Looking forward to watching him play and develop over next three years!
gougler08
AG
W said:

one data point...Lance McCullers Jr. with the Astros...was drafted out of high school in 2012. He made his major league debut in 2015
He skipped AAA though right?

And wasn't that the same draft where the Astros went with Correa #1 so that they could pay under slot value and then sign McCullers, or was that someone else that the Astros used the Correa money with?
Sean98
AG
You are correct. Correa at 1-1, and then McCullers at #41.
W
AG
Cason will have a decision to make. Drafted in the 13th round pick #390 by Kansas City
Agsuffering@bulaw
Even if Boston sqeezed $400k out of the last 3 rounds*, Scherff's slot is 300k. If he wants $1.75-2 mil, they would still be at least a mil short. The biggest place to save money would be the top 2 or 3 picks, but they were all picked about where they were projected. That suggests they must have expected close to slot.

Even if they squeezed 50k out of picks 4-7, that is only 200k. They are still at least 800k short.

So, this only plays out if either Scherff had an inside deal with Boston, or Boston somehow managed to beat down the price on their higher picks.

*(which seems high, even paying 40k each, it would only be $300k savings)
gougler08
AG
From the premium writeup Gabe had...he said it's almost a sure deal that Cason will be leaving
W
AG
into round 16...and approaching 500 picks
fightinwacoag
I get the childhood dream thing with these kids, however, many of them are taking a short term view of a very long life. Look at Kramer "little sweet" Robertson from LSU. He was drafted in the 13th round last year, came back to LSU and was drafted in the 4th round this year. He played another year in college, still gets a big payday, and another shot at a National Championship, all while not traveling on buses to play instructional league A ball.

I know that many of these kids think in terms of 3 years and go because of bargaining power from what I've heard. However, let's be honest, most of them will never darken the doors of a big league club house and no future employer is going to care about your status as a AA ball player the last 6 or 7 years. Finishing college, playing baseball, and still playing professional baseball after college in the minor leagues makes sense to me, UNLESS you are getting that huge payday for being selected in the first 2 or 3 rounds. Staying in college and graduating is a better long term decision for their lives, especially those whose chance of ever cracking a big league lineup is slim and none.

Look at a guy like Boomer White. Last I saw, he was batting sub .225 in A ball. Why? Because like it or not, professional baseball is an UPHILL battle to play with the big boys. And he was the SEC player of the year last year, right? Yes, not having to go to class, and playing ball as your job sounds glamorous, but for almost all of these guys drafted every year, most will be looking for real jobs in a few years, after having not finished college. Name for me 1 Aggie off last year's team that you think will have a long career in the major leagues? 13 draft choices, how many will actually play in the majors over the next 2 or 3 years?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Boomer is a bad example because he was already 4 years removed from high school, but we get your point.
W
AG
into round 18...

no Chafin or Asa Lacy yet
W
AG
no Larkins either.

the pitching staff may not get as ravaged as originally expected
Wicked Good Ag
Understand the point but a 13th round selection as a junior might very well get more than a 4th round senior

It is all about leverage and desire to start their 20s something career.

See how far you can go, you can always finish your degree in the fall semester as most season end in early September in the lower classes if you so choose
Sean98
AG
The reality is his number was probably FAR less than $1.75M.

I mean when I go to the bar I start out by saying I want Kate Beckinsale, but by 1am that has changed considerably.
powerbelly
AG
fightinwacoag said:

I get the childhood dream thing with these kids, however, many of them are taking a short term view of a very long life. Look at Kramer "little sweet" Robertson from LSU. He was drafted in the 13th round last year, came back to LSU and was drafted in the 4th round this year. He played another year in college, still gets a big payday, and another shot at a National Championship, all while not traveling on buses to play instructional league A ball.

He will be signed significantly under slot. This is not a great example of getting a huge payday.
jkag89
It would be a lot easier for these kids to opt to stay in school for their senior year if they were getting a full ride, very few come close to getting most of the cost of their schooling covered. Robertson family finances are not the norm, for many the bonus money can pay for whatever hours they lack towards graduation plus maybe a little left over for a nice vehicle. If I remember correctly Boomer was only about a semester short of graduation, certainly not a gap so large in which he could not make progress toward a diploma in the off season. Also, while any shot at making the Show are rather long odds, I would not write off Boomer just yet.
Mike Elko
AG
Choruby to Nats. (Round 18, 553)
Aggie1205
AG
Choruby drafted in 18th round by Nationals. Joins Hill with that organization.
dirkjones
AG
jkag89 said:

It would be a lot easier for these kids to opt to stay in school for their senior year if they were getting a full ride, very few come close to getting most of the cost of their schooling covered. Robertson family finances are not the norm, for many the bonus money can pay for whatever hours they lack towards graduation plus maybe a little left over for a nice vehicle. If I remember correctly Boomer was only about a semester short of graduation, certainly not a gap so large in which he could not make progress toward a diploma in the of season. Also, while any shot at making the Show are rather long odds, I would not write off Boomer just yet.
dirkjones
AG
dirkjones said:

jkag89 said:

, I would not write off Boomer just yet.

Sorry but it's not looking good
W
AG
approaching 600 picks
powerbelly
AG
dirkjones said:

dirkjones said:

jkag89 said:

One injury plagued short season is enough to make that claim?
W
AG
okay, that's 20 rounds in the books.

at this point it's not about the money if a player signs
Mr.Ackar07
Aggie1205 said:

Choruby drafted in 18th round by Nationals. Joins Hill with that organization.
Also, depending on development, join Nick Banks and Kyle Simonds currently with the Nationals A team.
Mr.Ackar07
Turner Larkins in Round 21
dirkjones
AG
powerbelly51 said:

dirkjones said:

dirkjones said:

jkag89 said:

No, but not being promoted to A ball and staying another season in short helps with my opinion.
dirkjones
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Turner Larkins in Round 21
He gone
TheChameleon
AG
dirkjones said:

dirkjones said:

jkag89 said:

He needs one more season. I don't know if he's hurt or has been in extended spring training, but either way he needs one more look with an affiliate. If it's not any better the second time around, then yeah, he's probably done. But a bit too early now to declare it
Bondag
AG
dirkjones said:

powerbelly51 said:

dirkjones said:

dirkjones said:

jkag89 said:

No, but not being promoted to A ball and staying another season in short helps with my opinion.
He did an interview with Gabe yesterday. Said he was torn on staying in school or going to draft and his heart wasn't in it last year. Combine that with some injuries and he is starting short season with a new mindset this week.
fightinwacoag
Some fair responses were made to my post. Powerbelly51, I said Kramer still gets a big payday, not a "huge" one, but I get your point and it's well taken.

Also, I do get the family finances and how that plays a role, I chose Little Sweet as an example because it was fresh on my mind from the morning paper, there are probably many better examples. The main point is this, if a kid and his family made it through 3 years on limited scholarship funds, what really is one more year to wait to pay off everything a year from now if you are looking at this through the lens of the long term versus the short term? Too many of these life decisions are made solely on the basis of money and immediate gratification, rather than on the benefit of time, education and maturity, in my own humble opinion. Money gets spent quickly for a 15th round draft choice, but the year spent playing with his brothers is something they will remember and cherish for a lifetime, and I think many would say that if we tracked them down 10 years from now and they were honest with us.

And, I am most certainly not giving up on Boomer. He will always be one of my favorite Aggie ball players. I believe Gabe said last year Boomer could have returned if he wanted to despite being one semester short of graduation. My main point in brining up Boomer is he was a great college player, but is experiencing the typical growing pains of professional baseball, and let's be honest, players not half as good as him from last years team also left school to chase their dream. The question stands, were there any Tyler Naquin's in last years crop of Aggies who left early? What about this year? Just looking at this yearly situation through a different lens than most I'm sure.

Anyway, love Aggie baseball, and the job Coach Childress and the kids did this year. Was there for Super Regionals and wish work would allow for me to go to Omaha too. Wishing travel grace to those of you who can go. Have fun and yell loud.
HoustonAg2106
AG
I don't follow the draft all that much...do people who get drafted in the 21st round normally leave?
Mr.Ackar07
Tylor Fischer just got picked in Round 28
dirkjones
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

I don't follow the draft all that much...do people who get drafted in the 21st round normally leave?
All situations are different, they usually sign though when they have been pretty vocal during the season about being ready to leave.
W
AG
still no Chafin or Asa Lacy thru 28 rounds.

it's been a while since the Ags had a relatively balanced left vs. right pitching staff. Might have one in 2018
Aggie1205
AG
dirkjones said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

All situations are different, they usually sign though when they have been pretty vocal during the season about being ready to leave.
When has he been vocal about this?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.