***Official Aggies vs. 2017 MLB Draft Thread***

61,997 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by oragator
Mr.Ackar07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Round 2, Pick 56: Corbin Martin (Astros) - Slot Value: $1,178,600
---------------Signed 6/28 - $1,000,000 - Article
Round 2, Pick 60: Adam Hall (Orioles) - Slot Value: $1,068,700
---------------Signed 6/23 - $1,300,000 - Article
Round 3, Pick 91: Tyler Ivey (Astros) - Slot Value: $597,800
---------------Signed 6/21 - $450,000 - Article
Round 4, Pick 128: Jack Conlon (Orioles) - Slot Value: $409,000
---------------Coming to A&M - Article
Round 5, Pick 161: Alex Scherff (Boston) - Slot Value: $296,500
---------------Signed 6/23 - $700,000 - Article
Round 5, Pick 163: Brigham Hill (Nationals) - Slot Value: $291,200
---------------Signed 6/28 - $291,200 - Article
Round 13, Pick 390: Cason Sherrod (Royals) - Slot Value: $125,000*
---------------Coming back for senior season - Link
Round 18, Pick 553: Nick Choruby (Nationals) - Slot Value: $125,000*
---------------Signed 6/26 - $? - Article
Round 21, Pick 639: Turner Larkins (Blue Jays) - Slot Value: $125,000*
---------------Signed 6/29 - $125,000 - Link
Round 28, Pick 840: Tylor Fischer (Royals) - Slot Value: $125,000*
---------------Signed 6/27 - $152,500 - Twitter
Round 31, Pick 942: Asa Lacy (Indians) - Slot Value: $125,000*
---------------Coming to A&M - Article
Round 32, Pick 967: Kaylor Chafin (Mets) - Slot Value: $125,000*
---------------Coming back for senior season - Link

* Maximum offer without using the bonus pool allocation

With the draft just 47 days away (June 12-14), we should start to see a lot more projections, mock drafts, prospect lists etc. I thought I'd lump everything to watch out for in one post.

Draft Targets:

Seniors
Nick Choruby - Pick #553
Joel Davis
Austin Homan
Blake Kopetsky
Walker Pennington

Juniors
Kaylor Chafin - Pick #967
Lee May Gonzalez
Brigham Hill - Pick #163
Turner Larkins - Pick #639
Tim Lichty
Corbin Martin - Pick #56
Baine Schoenvogel
Cason Sherrod - Pick #390

Draft-Eligible Sophomores
Cole Bedford

High School Recruits
Jack Conlon RHP 6-4, 210, R/R - Sugar Land, Texas (Clements HS) - Pick #128
Mason Corbett INF 6-0, 175, L/R San Antonio, Texas (Brandeis HS)
Zach DeLoach OF/RHP 6-1, 195, L/R Lewisville, Texas (Hebron HS)
Tylor Fischer RHP 6-4, 175, R/R Houston, Texas (Langham Creek HS) - Pick #840
Will Frizzell 1B 6-5, 220, L/R - Rockwall, Texas (Rockwall HS)
Adam Hall INF 6-0, 180, R/R London, Ontario, Canada (A.B. Lucas Secondary School) - Pick #60
Cam Haller C 5-10, 200, R/R - Marshall, Texas (Marshall HS)
Michael Helman INF 6-0, 190, R/R Lincoln, Nebraska (Pius X HS/Hutchinson JC)
Austin Hendrix RHP/INF 6-0, 190, R/R Livingston, Texas (Big Sandy HS)
Nolan Hoffman RHP 6-3, 195, R/R Lincoln, Nebraska (Southeast HS/Hutchinson JC)
Chandler Jozwiak 5-10, 140, R/L Brenham, Texas (Brenham HS)
Asa Lacy LHP 6-4, 200, L/L Kerrville, Texas (Tivy HS) - Pick #942
Chandler Morris INF 6-1, 190, R/R The Woodlands, TX (Panola College)
Christian Roa RHP 6-3, 190, R/R Houston, Texas (Memorial HS)
Dustin Saenz LHP 5-10, 180, L/L Corpus Christi, Texas (King HS)
Alex Scherff RHP 6-2, 195, R/R Colleyville, Texas (Colleyville Heritage HS) - Pick #161
Aaron Walters C 6-0, 195, L/R - Kerrville, Texas (Center Point HS)

Other Names to Follow
Tyler Ivey - Grayson CC (2016 Aggie RHP) - Pick #91

Of the recruits, Alex Scherff and Adam Hall will probably never make it to campus as each has seen their name in the Top 3 rounds of mock drafts. Tylor Fischer is also a stretch to make it to campus as he rates as one of the Top 100 High School Prospects.

I'm unsure on where or if Cole Bedford will be drafted. He has a plus arm, good defense, and unusual speed for a catcher. He's not currently a highly rated catcher among college prospects. I'd expect him back for 2018 unless he just wants to hear his name called.

Among the junior pitchers, I fully expect Corbin Martin, Brigham Hill, and Turner Larkins to hear their names called by the end of the 2nd day of the draft. Cason Sherrod and Kaylor Chafin also have a good chance to hear their names and not be back for the 2018 season.

Of the seniors, I believe that Nick Choruby has the best chance to be selected. Austin Homan might be a late round choice or a non-drafted signee. I don't see the others playing at the next level.

Tyler Ivey is having a stellar year at Grayson Community College. He could be a late top 10 round or early teen round selection.

Last year, the Aggies lost 15 guys to the draft, eligibility, or transfers. This year, we should lose no more than 10 with the biggest hit being to the pitching staff.

What to look forward to next year:

Despite potentially losing Hill, Larkins, and Martin, the Aggies should still be well stocked with arms going into 2018. They will return both Kolek and Kilkenny, all of the freshmen arms including Doxakis, and add highly touted pitcher and OU transfer Chris Andritsos who was OU's Friday starter in 2016.

The vast majority of the bats will be back for 2018. Currently, based on production, only Choruby's bat will be missed in 2018. Janca will be back with another offseason of weight training, all of the freshmen will hopefully take a step forward for next year, and the Ags should add a few more high quality freshmen bats next season in DeLoach and Walters.

2018 could be a great year for the Ags with a potential CWS appearance.

CypressAg09
AG
Any chance Larkins could return and try to improve his draft stock since he was injured this year?
Mr.Ackar07
CypressAg09 said:

Any chance Larkins could return and try to improve his draft stock since he was injured this year?
I don't see it. He was highly regarded coming out of high school and turned down a $1 million offer. He pitched well when healthy last year. He has the frame and build that scouts like. His only downside has been staying healthy.
HoustonAg2106
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

CypressAg09 said:

I don't see it. He was highly regarded coming out of high school and turned down a $1 million offer. He pitched well when healthy last year. He has the frame and build that scouts like. His only downside has been staying healthy.

Based on his college career I can't imagine that he would be drafted high enough to make it enticing to leave for the pros...wouldn't he be better off coming back and pitching a full year to improve his draft stock?
Mr.Ackar07
I think Larkin's offer will be more based on how Ryan Hendrix and A.J. Minter were both drafted. Hendrix was wildly inconsistent, and Minter was injured his junior year. Both were drafted based on potential/ceiling and not what they had shown at the collegiate level. I think Turner proved himself enough last year against Florida, Minnesota, and TCU to compensate for missing the majority of his junior year. He may not go as high as Minter, but I could see him as a 4-6 round selection.
technoviking
AG
Good write up OP. I'll reference this thread when the draft occurs.
mdanyc03
AG
What about Helman and Hoffman? Both seems like important pieces next year.
Mr.Ackar07
mdanyc03 said:

What about Helman and Hoffman? Both seems like important pieces next year.
I've never been comfortable trying to project CC transfers, but they do seem like nice additions if they go undrafted. Keep in mind that Kyle Simonds was the National Junior College Athletic Association Division I Pitcher of the Year out of Hutchinson CC as well before his transfer to A&M; it took him a season to transition into a consistent starter in the SEC.

Michael Helman is currently batting .508 with 15 home runs - 2017 Hutchinson CC Stats
Nolan Hoffman is currently 6-1 with a 4.13 ERA and 66 strikeouts - 2017 Hutchinson CC Stats

Hoffman's ERA is inflated from 3 poor starts out of his 11 games started this year.
mdanyc03
AG
Helman especially seems like a very big priority for the staff. A Helman/ shewmake/ janca infield could be very, very good.

Hope he makes it to campus.

Another prospect I really like is cam Haller from Marshall. Catcher, all state running back, leads the state in home runs. Not sure what his draft status is.
Mr.Ackar07
Edited OP to include Austin Hendrix (Ryan's brother) and Blake Mayfield to the HS listing.

According to Austin's twitter, he just recently tossed his 5th career no-hitter

TheChameleon
AG
Sherrod is probably gone
mdanyc03
AG
Fwiw, I saw another draft preview with asa lacy rated as a top 100 prospect. Mlbpipeline
Mr.Ackar07
Draft Site's 11 round 2017 Mock MLB Draft shows the following (pick value in bold):

1st Round; 25th Overall: Corbin Martin $2,530,400
2nd Round; 39th Overall: Alex Scherff $1,760,700
2nd Round; 49th Overall: Turner Larkins $1,392,200
2nd Round; 70th Overall: Adam Hall (Comp B Pick) $837,300
5th Round; 151st Overall: Tylor Fischer $326,600
6th Round; 175th Overall: Brigham Hill $262,400
7th Round; 209th Overall: Asa Lacy $198,500
9th Round; 272nd Overall: Jack Conlon $141,200

I would expect that Justin Seely and Rob Childress have stressed how well they develop pitchers, and that Asa and Jack could substantially improve their stock with 3 years of tutelage.

Mr.Ackar07
MLB Pipeline Top 100: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2017?list=draft

I'm not sure when this was last updated:

32nd: Corbin Martin
51st: Alex Scherff
87th: Asa Lacy
88th: Adam Hall
Mr.Ackar07
34 days to go

http://www.baseballamerica.com/college/2017-top-200-mlb-draft-prospects/#7xHRaKcwcBTlHMyI.97

Baseball America released their updated Top 200 prospects list last week:

#52 Alex Scherff
#90 Adam Hall
#109 Corbin Martin

All 3 have dropped from BA's previous rankings. Alex was #43, Adam #36, and Corbin #87 previously. Gabe has noted that since Alex comes from a wealthy family, he may pass up the draft depending on where he is selected to come to College Station.
Mr.Ackar07

Newest commit from Panola College added to the list.
Mr.Ackar07
Chandler Morris' Panola College Stats: http://panolaathletics.com/sports/bsb/2016-17/bios/morris_chandler_y4b8?view=career&pos=h
Goose06
AG
What are the odds we get Hill back and then get Schreff to campus?
Mr.Ackar07
I'd put the odds at little to none for both. Hill won't make it past the 5th round and he's not in a position to improve his stock by coming back for a senior year; at this point, he is what he is.

Scherff should be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, but it all depends on sign-ability. If he has a threshold in mind, that could deter teams from signing him and he comes to campus. He already has the size and arm though to go early unlike Shewmake who still needs to fill in his weight. The one thing in the Ag's favor is that he "doesn't need the money" as his family is well off, so there may be incentive to aim high and go to college if it's not met. He will also be a draft-eligible sophomore, so if he comes to campus, he will only be here 2 years giving him great leverage to work with come that time. I still don't see him not signing though.
Mr.Ackar07
http://www.baseballamerica.com/draft/mock-mlb-draft-3-0-major-league-baseball-draft/#g7v4TwiZYvdzHjzv.97

Baseball America's latest Mock Draft has Corbin Martin going in the Supplemental 1st Round at Pick 34
Sean98
AG
Has anyone ever heard what is the matter with Naquin? He's been on the 7 day MiLB disabled list for about 2 weeks now... Can't find any info on what happened.
aggie0109
AG
Lower back tightness
Sean98
AG
Gracias
themissinglink
AG
It seems like some of our higher rated HS draftee's have slipped lower in the pre-draft rankings. In BA's top 200 draft prospects. Sherff and Hall can be found at 52 and 90 which is 2nd - 3rd round territory. Pick 52 and 90 would be approximately $1.3m and $600k in signing bonus. I get the feeling we'll still lose both guys, but it is looking a little more likely they could make it to campus. Lacy doesn't seem to show up in any of the mocks or pre-draft rankings I've seen.
OKCAGS
Word is Sherff has told MLB he wants to play for A&M and his financial situation ( his family is well off ) will force whoever signs him will have pay WELL over slot money . He is a weekend starter the day he steps onto campus. Hall could very well be the most important recruit to get to campus. His stock has slipped a little in the latest projections ..... but if he gets to campus - lookout. Think Shewmake . This kid has all the tools and is a top3 hitter from Day 1 . An infield of Helman ( hitting over .500 at Hutch JC ), Shew and Hall combined with whoever you put at 1B ( Coleman , true fish Frizzel, True fish Deloach) would give us an incredibly talented infield both offensively and defensively. Next year team will hit - trust me .
mdanyc03
AG
Don't know your source on scherff, but I will chose to believe it.
Mr.Ackar07
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Draft Site's 11 round 2017 Mock MLB Draft shows the following (pick value in bold):

1st Round; 25th Overall: Corbin Martin $2,530,400
2nd Round; 39th Overall: Alex Scherff $1,760,700
2nd Round; 49th Overall: Turner Larkins $1,392,200
2nd Round; 70th Overall: Adam Hall (Comp B Pick) $837,300
5th Round; 151st Overall: Tylor Fischer $326,600
6th Round; 175th Overall: Brigham Hill $262,400
7th Round; 209th Overall: Asa Lacy $198,500
9th Round; 272nd Overall: Jack Conlon $141,200

I would expect that Justin Seely and Rob Childress have stressed how well they develop pitchers, and that Asa and Jack could substantially improve their stock with 3 years of tutelage.

Draft Site recently updated their projections:

2nd Round; 60th Overall: Alex Scherff
2nd Round; 69th Overall: Corbin Martin (Comp B Pick)
3rd Round; 92nd Overall: Adam Hall
6th Round; 177th Overall: Turner Larkins
7th Round; 217th Overall: Tylor Fischer
8th Round; 233rd Overall: Brigham Hill
9th Round; 260th Overall: Asa Lacy
11th Round; 320th Overall: Jack Conlon

They added up to 14 rounds in this version. Everyone fell to varying degrees in this version, and no new Aggies/recruits were added. Once you get to Tylor's pick and beyond, depending on how much over-slot a team is willing to pay, it would seem likely that a talented high school player would come to A&M in the hopes of bettering their payday in a few years. Alex Scherff's slot value in the updated version is $1,068,700.
Mr.Ackar07
Not MLB draft related, but the writers of D1 did a mock 20 round draft of current D1 players they would take to try and win the College World Series. It's subscription only: https://d1baseball.com/features/d1baseballs-2017-dream-draft/, but Braden Shewmake, Kaylor Chafin, and Corbin Martin were part of the 120 players selected.
Mr.Ackar07
Less than 3 weeks to go.

A week and a half ago, Alex Scherff talked with NBC on going to Texas A&M and how much he loves the coaching staff: http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/sports/Colleyville-Heritage-Alex-Scherff-421696963.html?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_DFWBrand
Mr.Ackar07
Mr.Ackar07
2017 MLB Draft Profile: Corbin Martin (SB Nation)

Quote:

OVERALL PROJECTION

Martin's draft stock has been rising steadily all spring. Better command and the development of his change-up have boosted his stock, and a team that projects him as a starter could be tempted to select him in the back half of the first round.

He may not advance as quickly as some college arms, but there's upside here as a mid-rotation arm or as a power reliever.
Mr.KyleReed
AG
I just moved to Forney at the beginning of the month. Pleased to find out Forney HS has a pitcher Junior Jonathan Childress (no relation to Coach Childress) pitching for them. From most things that I have read this kid is pretty good.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/PlayerProfile.aspx?ID=399198

*edit, guess he is class of '18
mdanyc03
AG
We also have a recruiting thread for this type of info.

https://texags.com/forums/8/topics/2760421
Mr.KyleReed
AG
Thank you!

I dont frequent this board as much as Id like to.

Mr.Ackar07
Mr.KyleReed said:

I just moved to Forney at the beginning of the month. Pleased to find out Forney HS has a pitcher Junior Jonathan Childress (no relation to Coach Childress) pitching for them. From most things that I have read this kid is pretty good.

https://www.perfectgame.org/Players/PlayerProfile.aspx?ID=399198

*edit, guess he is class of '18
He's definitely a draft risk next year. He was on the 15U USA National team and is already 6-4/215.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.