***Official Aggies vs. 2017 MLB Draft Thread***

62,289 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by oragator
TAM85
How long do you want to ignore this user?
So what do you guys think Conlon may do?
Mr.Ackar07
TAM85 said:

So what do you guys think Conlon may do?
Gabe mentioned in premium that he has turned down a few million dollar offers, so I would assume he signs over slot.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Based on a quick search of the internets it seems like his family doesn't "need" the money and may not think of 300k after taxes as a reason not to go straight to the pros.
tarhee200
AG
Should we just assume Conlon and any other HS Aggie commit that gets taken today is not coming to campus? Based on the comments previously in the thread, it would appear that the MLB team isn't going to draft a kid during the 1st 2 days unless they've already agreed verbally to a signing bonus, correct?
Phil Garner
Aggies1322 said:

Kohl Stewart should be a cautionary tale.. 4 years later and he's got a losing record in AA. Hope Rob can convince most of these guys to get to campus.

4 years in at AA for a HS guy is very good. 21 and 22 year olds in AA are young. His record has no merit in the minor leagues, with one exception, but I won't get into that.

If he breaks into the big leagues in the next 2 years, he is well below the average age of rookies.
Phil Garner
Aggies1322 said:

mdanyc03 said:

Aggies1322 said:

Kohl Stewart should be a cautionary tale.. 4 years later and he's got a losing record in AA. Hope Rob can convince most of these guys to get to campus.
Not sure I follow.

Are you suggesting that Kohl would have gone higher in the draft (than fifth overall) if he had come to college? Or that he would be progressing through the minors faster?

I like to see every prospect possible come to college (especially Aggies) but not sure I would use a guy that went fifth overall as a cautionary tale.

Yeah, I think coming to college would've helped him develop into a pro pitcher faster. I think it's easier to develop when you aren't riding a bus to nowhere, USA every week. But it's all speculation of course. He got a huge payday, so I'm not sure he's complaining about it.

High round college guys generally go to High A and sometimes AA. He's right on schedule. The debate on which is better for development is fine, but let's stop claiming that AA is behind schedule for a player his age.
Mr.Ackar07
Alex Scherff picked by Boston
Aggie1205
AG
Red Sox just took Scherff
Aggie1205
AG
Hill just went to Nationals.
Mr.Ackar07
And Brigham Hill goes in the 5th as well
Sean98
AG
themissinglink said:

Pick 128 (Conlon) carries a slot bonus of $409k. The Orioles have one of the lower bonus pools in the league and drafted a high school with their 1st round pick. I can't imagine he got much above $500k.
...and then they drafted another HS player, and Aggie commit, in the 2nd round in Adam Hall.
Ben Puig 97
AG
When will we know his intentions?
Aggie1205
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

And Brigham Hill goes in the 5th as well
Finally beat you on this one.
Sean98
AG
Between now and mid-July.
themissinglink
AG
I wouldn't count on getting Scherff to campus...

Congrats to him.
jja79
AG
Last year between High A and AA Kohl was 12-8 with a 2.88 ERA in about 150 innings. Right on track you'd think.

He's been hurt some this year so it hasn't gone so well. I think he's on the DL now. His family belongs to the same country club I do and one of the golf staff told me he broke the course record within the past couple of weeks.
Mr.Ackar07
We should start to see a lot more college seniors getting picked now by teams looking to play with slot pool money.
VegasAg86
AG
themissinglink said:

Congrats to him.
That certainly doesn't seem like the tweet of someone that is coming to campus.

Bummer.
twk
AG
themissinglink said:

Congrats to him.
Dammit!
Basketball and Chain
AG
Ben Puig 97 said:

When will we know his intentions?
Based on recent history, you can be about 98% certain that a player is going pro if they're drafted in the first 10 rounds.
Mr.Ackar07
Through 6 rounds now, just 120 picks left today. I won't name names, but there are still a few top high school commits left on the table.
Mr.Ackar07
Slot values have now dropped below $200,000 going forward
Aggie1205
AG
Values are under 150K now. Not that a team couldn't have saved money with other picks and still pay above slot though.
Mr.Ackar07
Just 30 picks to go today
W
AG
one data point...Lance McCullers Jr. with the Astros...was drafted out of high school in 2012. He made his major league debut in 2015
NumberEinAg
AG
Thank you!!
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin
MountainAg99
AG
Boston is going to have to save close to a $1M on other signees then....his number was reported to be around $1.5M or higher.

Come on Alex! We want you in Aggieland.
Goose06
AG
It seems the good news is Asa Lacy and Tylor Fischer slipped outside the top 10 rounds. The bad news is Conlon went in the 4th round. The expected news was Martin, Hill, Schref and Hall going in the first 5 rounds. Probably the best we can hope for is one of Schref or Conlon to turn down a payday to come to school and that's pretty low odds.

Will be interesting to watch what happens with Sherrod, Larkins and Chafin who were all expected to leave.
MountainAg99
AG
Questions abound:
Will the Orioles over pay slot value for Conlon?

The combo of Boston history and needing to highly overpay for Scherff?

Scherff knows he will be a first round pick in a few years. Will he choose to pass up Boston?
Mr.Ackar07
Sean98
AG
MountainAg99 said:

Scherff knows he will be a first round pick in a few years. Will he choose to pass up Boston?
No one "KNOWS" anything will happen in a few years. There's many a slip twixt a cup and the lip.
MountainAg99
AG
Scherff wouldn't have slipped past round 2 if he told people he would sign. If he comes to A&M, there is a high degree of confidence he will be a 1st rounder.
Bunk Moreland
MountainAg99 said:

Scherff wouldn't have slipped past round 2 if he told people he would sign. If he comes to A&M, there is a high degree of confidence he will be a 1st rounder.

Was likely in talks with only a few teams after night one, and they might have floated a number that was what he wanted. At that point he probably could have played favorites and only accepted it from an organization he wanted to be a part of.

Sounds like he said yes. Don't get your hopes up on him coming to Aggieland other than to maybe wave a 12th man towel during the third quarter on Kyle Field in 12 years.
Agsuffering@bulaw
I'm new at draft analysis, but getting Scherff to campus looks probable.

-Boston has a bonus pool of around $5.6 mil
-Tanner Houck in 1st round, about where he was projected
-Boston will probably have to pay Houck approx $2.6 mil
-Boston has $3 mil left to pay its other 9 picks
-Boston would take a bonus pool penalty of $300k if it does not sign Scherff
-I assume that Boston will not exceed the bp by more than 5%, b/c that means losing draft picks
-So even if they exceed the bp by 4%, they only get another 200k to play with
-Cole Brannen with the 2nd pick, about where he was expected to go
-He should get a mil
-Down to 2 mil to pay the next 8 picks

I dont see how they afford Scherff. If Scherff should have gone day 1, then he would have been getting 1-2 mil. I bet Boston did not have anybody they liked at the price they liked, so they reached on Scherff on the off chance that he would change his mind about going to school and take the money.

If they did, it would have to go something like:

-Houck signs for something like $1.8 mil, saving 800k
-Brannen signs for 700k, saving 300k
-They would still need to squeeze between 500k from the remaining 8 picks
-Boston kicks in 200k above bonus pool and pays the luxury tax

It could be done, but they would have probably needed a plan in place for it. Based on the first 2 picks being taken about where their projections expected, I doubt it.
caleblyn
I work with Enlow's dad. He said that it is a lot quicker decision to make then most think. Most of the discussions were had about 2 minutes before the pick and would last about 30 seconds. Sure, there are some short discussions made prior to the draft via some kind of portal that allows the draftee to "post" a target value, but the real decisions are made right before the pick.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.