***Official Aggies vs. 2017 MLB Draft Thread***

62,306 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by oragator
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Larkins might be best suited to stay. I don't think he will sign for much although I could be wrong. Coming back from injury and pitching another year may improve his draft stock although the loss of leverage may not make it finiacially a better deal however another year closer to a degree might help
Bunk Moreland
Honestly if I were the team that drafted him I'd try to sweeten his deal a bit to get him to sign specifically because he had so much time off from the injury due to the mono so he didn't log a lot of pitches this year.
TheChameleon
AG
Where did I say he wasn't being evaluated at all, in any fashion currently? I wasn't aware that I said anything even close to that. And I'm sorry but extended is not an affiliate. They work out, do drills, get extra attention, and play intrasquads for the most part. Yes, teams use plenty of methods to evaluate their own prospects- it is not 100% about numbers. Certainly not. Especially when you consider age relative to a specific level. But in the end statistics do matter, and that plays out when historically comparing which players have succeeded in the majors and what numbers those players put up at A+, AA, etc.

Boomer White is technically assigned to an affiliate, yes, but his season hasn't started yet. He is not playing affiliated games right now. The team may or may not be happy with his progress in extended, but chances are slim that any major decisions will be made before he sees real action this season. Perhaps they are excited about his side work recently, or performance in intrasquads, or maybe they're neutral. Maybe they're discouraged. But either way, he'll get a chance WITH AN AFFILIATE this season, and then further determinations will be made.

Going forward, don't bother responding to any posts of mine, I will not take the time to answer. Go try to be condescending elsewhere, possibly to someone who is less knowledgeable or capable of defending themselves.
Phil Garner
You are very knowledgeable. Your post was correct. Boomer just needs to get another chance at an affiliate like short season.

Hate that I wasted your time. Hate that I'm violating your request not to reply to your posts. Hate that I clarified anything...especially that Extended was an unofficial affiliate...that was quite a folly on my end.

Keep spreading the knowledge!
dirkjones
AG
TheChameleon said:

Where did I say he wasn't being evaluated at all, in any fashion currently? I wasn't aware that I said anything even close to that. And I'm sorry but extended is not an affiliate. They work out, do drills, get extra attention, and play intrasquads for the most part. Yes, teams use plenty of methods to evaluate their own prospects- it is not 100% about numbers. Certainly not. Especially when you consider age relative to a specific level. But in the end statistics do matter, and that plays out when historically comparing which players have succeeded in the majors and what numbers those players put up at A+, AA, etc.

Boomer White is technically assigned to an affiliate, yes, but his season hasn't started yet. He is not playing affiliated games right now. The team may or may not be happy with his progress in extended, but chances are slim that any major decisions will be made before he sees real action this season. Perhaps they are excited about his side work recently, or performance in intrasquads, or maybe they're neutral. Maybe they're discouraged. But either way, he'll get a chance WITH AN AFFILIATE this season, and then further determinations will be made.

Going forward, don't bother responding to any posts of mine, I will not take the time to answer. Go try to be condescending elsewhere, possibly to someone who is less knowledgeable or capable of defending themselves.
Haha, Chameleon. You might google Phil Garner and you may see he has quite the background in baseball. I think he was just trying to help with how the minor leagues work and not attacking you like you just did..
histag10
AG

Aggie1205
AG
Anyone in the know about Fischer or Lacy? Do we think they sign drafted so late?

Amongst guys who didn't play as much this year or had to sit out, any expected losses?

Chris Andritsos
Coll Stanley
Baine Schoenvogel
Landon Miner
Trey Jimmerson
John Kutac
Mason Cole
Kyle Richardson
Tristen Bayless
Tanner James
Tim Lichty
Tommy Gillman
Lee May Gonzalez
Jason Ruffcorn

Would an early projection of our starting 3 next year be Kolek, Kilkenny, and Doxakis?

Bondag
AG
I think Andritsos will be in the mix to start as well as Asa Lacy.
Mr.Ackar07
This is how I could see it playing out:

C: Bedford/Coleman
1B: Coleman/Gutierrez/James
2B: Helman/Gutierrez
3B: Janca/Andritsos
SS: Shewmake
LF: Blake/Andritsos
CF: DeLoach
RF: Foster/Stanley
DH: Coleman/Andritsos/Gutierrez/Foster

SP: Andritsos/Kolek/Doxakis/Kilkenny
CL: Ruffcorn/Cole
LHP: Lacy/Richardson
RHP: Kilkenny/Miner/Hoffman
Aggie1205
AG
I haven't seen anything yet on signings, anything heard anything official?
technoviking
AG
The players and the clubs that selected them have until 11:59 pm on August 15th to sign.

Google searches haven't revealed that any of the guys who hold a&m offers have signed yet.
Mr.Ackar07
Aggie1205 said:

I haven't seen anything yet on signings, anything heard anything official?
The Aggies that were drafted can't sign until the team is done for the season. Haven't seen anything yet in regards to the recruits.
West Texan
AG
Bump, for those looking at next year's roster and what we have coming in.
AgFan1999
AG
July 15
W
AG
interesting goings on...on the 40 acres...3 longhorn juniors have already signed. They were drafted in the 22nd, 24th, and 29th rounds respectively. Ready to start their pro careers apparently
mdanyc03
AG
Pretty much every junior that gets drafted is going to sign.

There is really no mystery here for us either.

All the juniors will sign. The high school kids that went on day 2 will sign. The two that went late (Lacy and Fischer) will make it to campus. This has already been essentially confirmed by Gabe and others.
ReggieF
Red Sox signed Houck for the full slot amount, I doubt it helps with Scherff but it can't hurt.
dixichkn
AG
Thought I'd heard that Scherff already signed?
MaroonStain
AG
W said:

interesting goings on...on the 40 acres...3 longhorn juniors have already signed. They were drafted in the 22nd, 24th, and 29th rounds respectively. Ready to start their pro careers apparently
Year 2 Purge
Mr.Ackar07
Tyler Ivey signed with the Astros: http://www.khou.com/sports/mlb/astros/astros-sign-10-players-from-2017-mlb-draft-class/450894194
MountainAg99
AG
Boston saved almost full value on 8th, 9th, and 10th round signees. Approximately $400k.

It will be very telling to see what they save on other picks to see if Scherff waits this out a little longer.
W
AG
that crossed my mind.

the horns also lost a good left-handed juco pitcher (Pflughaupt)...who had previously committed. He was a 27th round draft pick, but went ahead and signed with the Rays
Tex100
AG
https://twitter.com/alexscherff23

He gone
twk
AG
Tex100 said:

https://twitter.com/alexscherff23

He gone
That was posted 9 days ago. Are you insinuating that there is something new in that, other than the coffee and get back to Texas tweets? We are anticipating him signing, but have yet to see that it is a done deal.
MountainAg99
AG
Correct. Nothing new to report as he has not signed.
Bondag
AG
Tex100
AG
The one I saw right after the draft did not have the Red Sox logo at the top, picture of him in Red Sox gear or the statement he is a professional player in the Red Sox organization.
Tex100
AG
http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfwvarsity/prep-baseball/article157476724.html

These guys say it is reported. signed for 700K

Mr.Ackar07
Tex100 said:

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfwvarsity/prep-baseball/article157476724.html

I know he doesn't need the money, but he could have made a lot more than that with 2 seasons in College Station.
twk
AG
Tex100 said:

That's what we've been waiting for. Wanted to see the number. Thanks.
twk
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Tex100 said:

I know he doesn't need the money, but he could have made a lot more than that with 2 seasons in College Station.
He could have made a lot more in this draft if he'd told teams he would sign. For some reason, it was important to him to sign with the Red Sox. I'm curious as to what the thinking was. I don't think I've ever heard of a Scott Boras client leaving that much money on the table (proportionately, looking at the slot if he'd drafted as a signable high schooler late in the first or in the compensation picks). I'm sure there's a story behind it.
Sean98
AG
The draft is always interesting and rarely makes sense to me. All rumor of course, but he allegedly fell in the draft because he was demanding (insert your favorite number here) $1.5M or he wasn't going to sign. ...then he falls to Day 2 and signs for less than half of that.

I don't understand why you aren't realistic with teams about your signability. ...and maybe he was, I have no inside knowledge. Maybe his number for certain teams was much higher than it was for a team like Boston.

I've also never understood Juniors drafted in the 30th round signing. Are there scenarios where it makes sense? Yes. If you're unhappy at school, or your role has/will diminish, sure. But if you have a legit chance to increase your draft profile I just don't get it. I know you're not going to get much in a signing bonus as a 'no-leverage' Senior, but you're unlikely to get much as a 25th+ round pick as a Junior either. I'm sure cost of school factors in for some of these kids but living paycheck to paycheck in A ball isn't going to be much different.
Bunk Moreland
Going back to being 18, if I were a super stud and talked a big game, made some pre-draft rumors or numbers known....and I fell to round 2 because of it and was drafted by Tampa Bay or Minnesota, I'd probably go play for my school for a couple years and wait it out to see if I can improve.

If the Yankees, Cubs, Red Sox or my favorite team drafted me, I imagine it'd be pretty hard to get the dream of playing wearing pinstripes or playing in Fenway/Wrigley out of my mind.

Not saying it's the case with him. Just saying how easy it is and how many different unknowns go through that process that it's hard to try and guess at exactly why anyone makes those decisions, whichever way they choose.
twk
AG
You might be right. It could be as simple as that. Still, I would be interested to hear the story, but I doubt we ever will (at least not the full truth--if you ask the kid, you'll hear one thing, ask the agent another, ask the team and yet another version).
Tex100
AG
twk said:

Tex100 said:

That's what we've been waiting for. Wanted to see the number. Thanks.
Note that their article says it is "reported," not that it is fact. Still, look at his twitter. Does that look like a kid headed for college?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.