***Official Aggies vs. 2017 MLB Draft Thread***

62,320 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by oragator
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
RPag said:

Any idea why Hall would be picked up before Scherff? Alex seemed to be well ahead in all the projections so it must have been reservations about him being signable in the end, right? Would seem to be good news for the good guys.

Could be about what each camp was floating as a "number" for a signature. Lots of moving parts with the draft set up the way it is.
Mr.Ackar07
RPag said:

Any idea why Hall would be picked up before Scherff? Alex seemed to be well ahead in all the projections so it must have been reservations about him being signable in the end, right? Would seem to be good news for the good guys.
Definitely signability. The longer we go, the better the Ags chance with Alex. I would estimate that if we don't hear Alex's name by the end of the 3rd round, you won't hear his name until Day 3 when a team takes a flyer against him. Day 3 picks that don't sign do not affect the draft pool money.
themissinglink
AG
RPag said:

Likely signability which would be good news for the good guys. I assume he's asking for more than $750k which is about the top of the 3rd round bonus money. Saw this tweet from a fort worth reporter...

I would assume he's asking for at least >$1 million, likely $1.5-2 million. The teams to watch out for are teams who cut underslot deals in the first rounds, but no idea of knowing exactly how much each team has.
Sean98
AG
True, but Day 3 picks who sign for more than $100k count against the bonus pool (the amount in excess of $100k).
Mr.Ackar07
Sean98 said:

True, but Day 3 picks who sign for more than $100k count against the bonus pool (the amount in excess of $100k).
It's the same concept as signing someone below slot early to use towards players later on. If the Twins saved $1 million on the #1 overall pick, they could apply that million to a $1.1 million offer to a Round 11 guy.
RPag
That's a good point but I guess its just hard for me to imagine turning down that kind of money to play pro ball. Even if its less (maybe significantly less) than the slot value, a 2nd round pick would be a pretty incredible pay day. Not compared to the millionaires on texags of course.
Aggie12B
AG
Good info
CapCityAg89
AG
Mr.Ackar07 said:

Sean98 said:

It's the same concept as signing someone below slot early to use towards players later on. If the Twins saved $1 million on the #1 overall pick, they could apply that million to a $1.1 million offer to a Round 11 guy.

I don't think that's right. The pool is top 10 rounds. After 10 is the penalty for too high. So you can sign a round 10 guy for a million over slot but a round 11 guy gets you in trouble.
W
AG
remember Uncle Sam gets a nice chunk of that signing bonus plus 3-5% to the agent.

so a $750k payout...shrinks to the $400k range fairly quick
Sean98
AG
CapCity is correct. Using $1m on a round 10 pick is fine. If you use it on an 11th Round pick it will cost you luxury taxes and you lose future draft picks.

I posted this on the previous page, but here it is again.
Quote:

Penalties: Here are the penalties that are assessed to clubs that pay bonuses over their allotted bonus pool.

0- 5% over- 75% tax on the overage

5- 10% over- 75 % tax on the overage and loss of the team's first round pick the next year

10- 15% over- 100% tax on the overage and loss of the team's first and second round picks next year

More than 15% over- 100% tax on the overage, and loss of the first round picks in the next two years' drafts
twk
AG
W said:

remember Uncle Sam gets a nice chunk of that signing bonus plus 3-5% to the agent.

so a $750k payout...shrinks to the $400k range fairly quick
This. From a money standpoint, only the very top picks are really having to make a hard economic decision. It's more about chasing the dream, and the preferred path to do it. If your dream is playing major league baseball, the fact that a team is willing to draft you high, and spend the bonus money on you is more important as a sign of their commitment to your development than it is to your financial future (although that is of some consequence, too). Most of the kids whose heads would be turned by the money will blow it in a couple of years. Their aren't many kids that will take that $400k and invest it, as we contemplate when talking about these hypotheticals arguing over whether a kid should sign or go to school. Almost all of them are going to blow $50k on a car. The exceptions are probably the kids like Kohl Stewart who come from a better financial situation to start with.
Tamu_mgm
AG
Did Scherff get drafted?
Mr.Ackar07
Sean98 said:

CapCity is correct. Using $1m on a round 10 pick is fine. If you use it on an 11th Round pick it will cost you luxury taxes and you lose future draft picks.

I posted this on the previous page, but here it is again.
Quote:

Penalties: Here are the penalties that are assessed to clubs that pay bonuses over their allotted bonus pool.

0- 5% over- 75% tax on the overage

5- 10% over- 75 % tax on the overage and loss of the team's first round pick the next year

10- 15% over- 100% tax on the overage and loss of the team's first and second round picks next year

More than 15% over- 100% tax on the overage, and loss of the first round picks in the next two years' drafts

The way I've seen the rules stated, the bonus pool can be used on any draftee or free agent signing during that year. The excess over $100,000 on anyone drafted after the 10th round or signed in free agency counts against the bonus pool. If Team A has $10,000,000 in total bonus pool money, and they spend $9,000,000 on their first 10 round picks, a player in round 15 that agrees to sign for $600,000 would reduce their remaining $1,000,000 of bonus pool money by $500,000; that would leave Team A with an additional $500,000 to spend. The use of the Bonus Pool is not restricted to just the first 10 rounds, only the aggregation of the bonus pool is determined by the first 10 rounds.
Sean98
AG
You are correct. I didn't read your post close enough. The excess over $100k counts towards the bonus pool. If you haven't used the full pool, no problems.
Goose06
AG
Schreff was predicted anywhere from about 40-75 and we are 75 picks in. I'd say we'd like to see him fall past 100 before feeling too confident he will be likely to show up to campus and really we need him to fall to the 11th round before we write his name in the weekend rotation. Certainly things are looking up there.
FTACof2011
AG
Moreso than the round he's picked is who picks him. Teams like Minnesota saved a bunch of money in the first round by selecting people that they will be able to sign to under slot deals, so they will have extra money to throw onto his offer whether they draft him in the 3rd or 10th round.
Agsuffering@bulaw
For most HS kids drafted in the first 60 picks, walking away from the money would be foolish. It would be doubly foolish for a pitcher like Kohl Stewart- pitchers get hurt.

I get that Uncle Sam gets his, but I bet the payout could be structured over several years to lessen the blow and maybe move things around to offset some of it. And the kids contemplating going to college have not hired agents. My understanding is that it would make them ineligible, so dad or whomever negotiates for them.

I could use some help from those in the know, but what % scholarship would someone like Scherff or Hall get promised? Maybe 50%?

What does it really cost to go to A&M for a year, all costs? My guess is 20k modestly, 17k bare bones? So a really good player and his family have to spend or borrow 10k a year or more? So if he succeeds in college, he gets drafted and signs after 3 years without a degree and with 30-50k in debt?

vs a player who signs for 1.5m, puts most of it away, gets paid poorly but at least gets many expenses covered. Plays winter ball, probably same deal. If the kid is doing it right, he could be worth several million by the time he turns 25, even if his pro career has been a bust.

I think that it also depends on whether the kid is a pitcher or position player. It seems that so many of the high draft pick pithers who fail experienced a major injury to their arm or shoulder. They came back but were not the same.

I guess it also depends on how much scholarship money the kid gets promised and whether he qualifies for other academic sholarships.
dirkjones
AG
Agsuffering@bulaw said:

I get that Uncle Sam gets his, but I bet the payout could be structured over several years to lessen the blow and maybe move things around to offset some of it. And the kids contemplating going to college have not hired agents. My understanding is that it would make them ineligible, so dad or whomever negotiates for them
All the good kids have agents in college and some high school, they just are called advisors instead of agents.
twk
AG
Most kids don't get $1.5 million. Most spend a lot of what they do get in bonus money.
Aggies1322
AG
When do they actually start to draft today?
VegasAg86
AG
FTACof2011 said:

Moreso than the round he's picked is who picks him. Teams like Minnesota saved a bunch of money in the first round by selecting people that they will be able to sign to under slot deals, so they will have extra money to throw onto his offer whether they draft him in the 3rd or 10th round.
Would they be able to go over the 40-75 slot money? My understanding is he fell from there because he couldn't be signed in that range. I get the pooling savings from other players and being able to pay more later, but, if he could be signed for the 40-75 slot money, wouldn't someone have taken him there?
Aggie1205
AG
LSU signee Enlow goes first in the third round.
Sean98
AG
You would think/hope that is correct.
Aggie1205
AG
Tyler Ivey to Astros.
Mike Elko
AG
Dammit... Well, for us.
MikeM1960
AustinAg2012 said:

Dammit... Well, for us.
He was in JUCO and committed to OK State.
Ben Puig 97
AG
Why did he transfer? Can't remember.
dirkjones
AG
Ben Puig 97 said:

Didn't get along with RC
Mr.Ackar07
Ben Puig 97 said:

Supposedly playing time/conflict with Childress in regards to one-on-one coaching
Mr.Ackar07
Jack Conlon just went to the Orioles
Aggie1205
AG
Jack Conlon just went in the 4th.
AnalogyAg
Thanks for the info Mr. Ackard. One correction to below:

Quote:

Alex Scherff RHP 6-2, 195, R/R Colleyville, Texas (Grapevine HS)

Scherff pitched for and graduated from Colleyville Heritage HS
Mike Elko
AG
MikeM1960 said:

AustinAg2012 said:

Dammit... Well, for us.
He was in JUCO and committed to OK State.

My bad. Confused players.
Mr.Ackar07
Fixed
themissinglink
AG
Pick 128 (Conlon) carries a slot bonus of $409k. The Orioles have one of the lower bonus pools in the league and drafted a high school with their 1st round pick. I can't imagine he got much above $500k.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.