***Official Aggies vs. 2017 MLB Draft Thread***

62,319 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by oragator
Wicked Good Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't see Chaffin staying. Isn't he on pace to graduate and I think he took part in senior day activities if I am not mistaken.

That said

Would love to see him one more year
fightinwacoag
Heard Chaffin was taken in the 13th round today. Believe it was on ******** I saw it.
fightinwacoag
Just looked and think the person who reported this was wrong, looks like Sherrod was the 13th round Aggie to me.
dirkjones
AG
Cason was drafted in 13th, no Chafin yet. I also would like to see him return.
mdanyc03
AG
Chafin has graduated and will take a "normal" job if he isn't drafted.
HoustonAg2106
AG
mdanyc03 said:

He wouldn't want to play one more year of baseball?
Aggie1205
AG
Asa Lacy went 942nd overall to Indians.
powerbelly
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

Not if it cost him tuition.
HoustonAg2106
AG
powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

Why would it cost him tuition if he graduated?
powerbelly
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

You have to be enrolled and taking classes to play a NCAA sport.
HoustonAg2106
AG
powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

I don't think that's accurate. You don't lose a year of eligibility because you graduated early. You just have to request a waiver to the NCAA...that's what graduate transfers do all the time.
powerbelly
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

I don't think that's accurate. You don't lose a year of eligibility because you graduated early. You just have to request a waiver to the NCAA...that's what graduate transfers do all the time.
I never said anything about years of eligibility. You do have to be taking classes at the university you are playing for. Graduate transfers are taking graduate classes.
HoustonAg2106
AG
powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

I never said anything about years of eligibility. You do have to be taking classes at the university you are playing for. Graduate transfers are taking graduate classes.
I don't know the rules, but that's not right if you can't play your 4th year because you graduated in 3.
powerbelly
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

I don't know the rules, but that's not right if you can't play your 4th year because you graduated in 3.
You CAN play a fourth year. You just have to be enrolled in school. This isn't an issue in full scholarship sports like football where graduate transfers are common, but in baseball the kids have to decide if playing another year is worth the cost.
HoustonAg2106
AG
powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

You CAN play a fourth year. You just have to be enrolled in school. This isn't an issue in full scholarship sports like football where graduate transfers are common, but in baseball the kids have to decide if playing another year is worth the cost.
Yea I get it, just don't think it's right to force someone to enroll in classes that they obviously don't need just to be able to play your senior year. You should get to play 4 years no matter what as long as you are in good academic standing/graduated...but it's the NCAA so I guess I'm not surprised.
Mr.Ackar07
Chafin goes in Round 32
Wicked Good Ag
HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

Yea I get it, just don't think it's right to force someone to enroll in classes that they obviously don't need just to be able to play your senior year. You should get to play 4 years no matter what as long as you are in good academic standing/graduated...but it's the NCAA so I guess I'm not surprised.

So you are saying non students should get to play for college athletic teams ??
HoustonAg2106
AG
Wicked Good Ag said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

I'm saying you're supposed to get 4 years of eligibility. So yes I guess for cases like this that's what I'm saying.
Phil Garner
TheChameleon said:

dirkjones said:

dirkjones said:

jkag89 said:

, I would not write off Boomer just yet.

Sorry but it's not looking good

He needs one more season. I don't know if he's hurt or has been in extended spring training, but either way he needs one more look with an affiliate. If it's not any better the second time around, then yeah, he's probably done. But a bit too early now to declare it
He is with an affiliate. Rookie, Extended, Short-season, etc., all affiliates. Could make an argument that Extended is just an unoffial affiliate, but it is basically Rookie ball until the official Rookie Leagues begin. Playing in front of paid attendance has no bearing on the organization's evaluation of a player. You're either a player or not, statistics are irrelevant and raw ability carries the most weight at the lowest levels, while polish matters a little in High A, and the combination gets you to the big leagues from AA and AAA.

Not trying to kill your post, but just wanted to clarify what an affiliate is and evaluations happen everywhere, constantly, by every organization on every other organizations players.
W
AG
powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

this is where the coaching staff has to decide how bad they want an experienced left-handed arm out of the bullpen...capable of pitching multiple innings.

if tuition cost is an issue, then you bump up the scholarship % until it's manageable for him
twk
AG
I suspect we could make the money work for Chafin. The issue would be what he wants to do. For some kids (no idea if this applies to Chafin or any of our other guys), once they've decided they are going to sign, there is a tendency to not take care of academics that last semester.
VegasAg86
AG
Chafin went through the Senior Day stuff and was moving on, whether by draft or a real job he has lined up. It is possible a run to the CWS could make him want another shot, but it seems highly unlikely.
histag10
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

I'm saying you're supposed to get 4 years of eligibility. So yes I guess for cases like this that's what I'm saying.

you get 4 years of eligibility, so long as you are in good standing and enrolled as a full time student. You can use up your 4 years and still not have graduated, or you can graduate and still have a year or so left of eligibility. You are given 4, and it is up to you on how many of those you use. He can certainly pursue a second degree, or apply to grad school, and still use his 4th year of eligibility. But that is up to him.

No athlete is guaranteed 4 years no matter what. There are stipulations to that.
histag10
AG
W said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

this is where the coaching staff has to decide how bad they want an experienced left-handed arm out of the bullpen...capable of pitching multiple innings.

if tuition cost is an issue, then you bump up the scholarship % until it's manageable for him

If he has graduated, he cant just enroll in classes. He would either have to reapply to seek a 2nd bachelors or apply to grad school. Both require him to be accepted. Grad school would also require GRE.

If its something he hasnt considered until now, it may not be possible for him to just "decide" to stay.
HoustonAg2106
AG
histag10 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

you get 4 years of eligibility, so long as you are in good standing and enrolled as a full time student. You can use up your 4 years and still not have graduated, or you can graduate and still have a year or so left of eligibility. You are given 4, and it is up to you on how many of those you use. He can certainly pursue a second degree, or apply to grad school, and still use his 4th year of eligibility. But that is up to him.

No athlete is guaranteed 4 years no matter what. There are stipulations to that.
Yea but they should change that for situations like this is all I'm saying. Could be motivation to graduate early rather than a deterrent.
histag10
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

histag10 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

Yea but they should change that for situations like this is all I'm saying.

Why? Then it no longer is an amateur sport. You no longer have a student-athlete, you have a full grown man who is working a full time job, not enrolled in school, but is playing a college sport. Theoretically, he could go work for a sports management firm, play college ball, promote himself, and get himself a nice signing deal. That is not "amateur", which is what college ball is.

college sport = student athlete. If you dont understand that, or get why it is that way, I'm not sure what to tell you.
HoustonAg2106
AG
histag10 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

histag10 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

Why? Then it no longer is an amateur sport. You no longer have a student-athlete, you have a full grown man who is working a full time job, not enrolled in school, but is playing a college sport. Theoretically, he could go work for a sports management firm, play college ball, promote himself, and get himself a nice signing deal. That is not "amateur", which is what college ball is.

college sport = student athlete. If you dont understand that, or get why it is that way, I'm not sure what to tell you.
I didn't say all that

All I said was don't punish kids for graduating early.

I understand it's not going to change.
histag10
AG
HoustonAg2106 said:

histag10 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

histag10 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

Wicked Good Ag said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

powerbelly51 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

mdanyc03 said:

I didn't say all that

All I said was don't punish kids for graduating early.

he's not being punished. He got a degree that will allow him to get a job, and he got to play ball while doing so. That's what he signed up for.
Agsuffering@bulaw
Even if he was getting 100% scholarship, he would pass up whatever small signing bonus the mets throw at him plus whatever he would make working for a year. He has his degree. It does not sound like he loves college enough to stick around another year.

How much upside does a SR relief pitcher have?
Mr.Ackar07
And that concludes the 2017 MLB draft
Wicked Good Ag
Final player report for the draft ??

Commits and current players without sifting all thru the posts ??
Mr.Ackar07
Wicked Good Ag said:

Final player report for the draft ??

Commits and current players without sifting all thru the posts ??
It's summarized in the OP:

Quote:

Round 2, Pick 56: Corbin Martin (Astros) - Slot Value: $1,178,600
Round 2, Pick 60: Adam Hall (Orioles) - Slot Value: $1,068,700
Round 3, Pick 91: Tyler Ivey (Astros) - Slot Value: $597,800
Round 4, Pick 128: Jack Conlon (Orioles) - Slot Value: $409,000
Round 5, Pick 161: Alex Scherff (Boston) - Slot Value: $296,500
Round 5, Pick 163: Brigham Hill (Nationals) - Slot Value: $291,200
Round 13, Pick 390: Cason Sherrod (Royals) - Slot Value: $125,000*
Round 18, Pick 553: Nick Choruby (Nationals) - Slot Value: $125,000*
Round 21, Pick 639: Turner Larkins (Blue Jays) - Slot Value: $125,000*
Round 28, Pick 840: Tylor Fischer (Royals) - Slot Value: $125,000*
Round 31, Pick 942: Asa Lacy (Indians) - Slot Value: $125,000*
Round 32, Pick 967: Kaylor Chafin (Mets) - Slot Value: $125,000*

* Maximum offer without using the bonus pool allocation
Wicked Good Ag
Thanks. Didn't bother to look at the top. Sigh
jpag
AG
Well I guess there is a 95% chance we lose all the juniors that were drafted.

What are the odds that Conlon makes it to Aggieland? And Scherff? Less than 50/50?
VegasAg86
AG
jpag said:

Well I guess there is a 95% chance we lose all the juniors that were drafted.

What are the odds that Conlon makes it to Aggieland? And Scherff? Less than 50/50?

Well below 50/50, highly unlikely either will play for us. 2 or 3 percent chance at best.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.