***Official Aggies vs. 2017 MLB Draft Thread***

62,282 Views | 318 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by oragator
Tex100
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
twk said:

You might be right. It could be as simple as that. Still, I would be interested to hear the story, but I doubt we ever will (at least not the full truth--if you ask the kid, you'll hear one thing, ask the agent another, ask the team and yet another version).
I could see wanting to play for an organization that you think is really well run for the best chance to develop. Cole Lankford gave up his lat year to sign with the Cardinals, and they seem like that kind of organization to me. However, he got promoted to AA in August, 2016 only to be released April, 2017, so go figure. I guess he could have had an injury.
W
AG
the longhorn that was drafted in 24th round managed to get a $100,000 signing bonus out of the Royals
moneyag7
Y'all may want to go check out Kaylor Chafin's twitter.
Bunk Moreland
slusherbradley said:

Y'all may want to go check out Kaylor Chafin's twitter.

Wow. That's a VERY pleasant surprise.
dirkjones
AG
May be just playing hardball, I'm hearing has 100k offer on table. I would think that would be hard to turn down.
moneyag7
@olsenmagic tweeted about it as well so I would imagine he will be back for next season
88agswin
AG
First it was in New York so by the time you take the taxes out that isn't a whole lot of money for a 2 year commitment. And he is coming back to play next year.
W
AG
have to ask...if Tyler Ivey makes it to the show one day...does his MLB jersey get hung in the Blue Bell hallway?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Highly doubt it.
powerbelly
AG
twk said:

Mr.Ackar07 said:

Tex100 said:

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/dfwvarsity/prep-baseball/article157476724.html

These guys say it is reported. signed for 700K

I know he doesn't need the money, but he could have made a lot more than that with 2 seasons in College Station.
He could have made a lot more in this draft if he'd told teams he would sign. For some reason, it was important to him to sign with the Red Sox. I'm curious as to what the thinking was. I don't think I've ever heard of a Scott Boras client leaving that much money on the table (proportionately, looking at the slot if he'd drafted as a signable high schooler late in the first or in the compensation picks). I'm sure there's a story behind it.
It will be amusing when he gets traded to another team in a few years.
Aggie1205
AG
Mr Ackar - could we perhaps update the OP with a notation or if/when the drafted players sign?
Mr.Ackar07
Aggie1205 said:

Mr Ackar - could we perhaps update the OP with a notation or if/when the drafted players sign?
Updated
Aggie1205
AG
Gracias
Agsncws
AG
W said:

have to ask...if Tyler Ivey makes it to the show one day...does his MLB jersey get hung in the Blue Bell hallway?

Anthony Vasquez is the case study for this answer. I don't know if his jersey is up or not though.
[url]https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Qh0MyYgSAQsDxvvIIU3ehE1nf8WWLQEa/view?usp=sharing[/url]
Bunk Moreland

Remember when he told #1 thanks but no thanks? Well that's why.
Ags #1
AG
Fischer signed with the royals
technoviking
AG
Wow is he really that good?
Bunk Moreland
technoviking said:

He was a top 10 prospect as a position player and a pitcher. He's a big hard throwing lefty with good control. Yes.
Texags is garbage
Bunk Moreland said:

technoviking said:

He was a top 10 prospect as a position player and a pitcher. He's a big hard throwing lefty with good control. Yes.
Definitely seems like he could make it to the show as a position player or a pitcher depending on what they want to do with him.
Basketball and Chain
AG
Jim Callis @jimcallisMLB
2nd-rder Corbin Martin signs w/@Astros for $1 mil (pick 56=$1,178,600). Texas A&M RHP, 91-95 as SP, to 98 & wipeoit curve as RP. @MLBDraft
Justanotherposter
Turner signed with the Blue Jays today.
Goose06
AG
Ags #1 said:

Is this confirmed? If so, pretty disappointing to lose a Guy who slipped so far in the draft...
Justanotherposter
Goose06 said:

Ags #1 said:

Is this confirmed? If so, pretty disappointing to lose a Guy who slipped so far in the draft...

I haven't seen anything yet to confirm it but I don't know if he's seen something I haven't.
ftworthag02
AG
MountainAg99
AG
Do we know how much they paid him? I bet it would have to be $300-400k
Sean98
AG
If so that would be a helluva deal for him. For KC, anything over $125k counts against their bonus pool, and they are generally big spenders as an organization.

My guess is it's not more than $200k, but I have no way of knowing that.
Mr.Ackar07
Updated the OP for latest signings. Looks like Asa Lacy and Jack Conlon have yet to make anything official although Conlon will likely sign.
Mr.Ackar07
http://m.mlb.com/news/article/240669238/draft-signings-update/

Quote:

With the Draft signing deadline fast approaching, six first-round choices have yet to agree to terms. But sources indicate all six should finalize agreements by 5 p.m. ET on Friday, as should the vast majority of the 19 remaining unsigned players in the top 10 rounds.

[...]

It also looks doubtful that fourth-rounder Jack Conlon will sign with the Orioles. A fourth-rounder from Clements High (Sugar Land, Texas), he displays a 92-95 mph fastball and a sharp 81-84 mph slider when he's at his best. If he doesn't turn pro, he'll attend Texas A&M.
Sean98
W
AG
apparently the Dodgers haven't sign any of their top 3 picks yet. Familiar names:

Jeren Kendall
Morgan Cooper
Connor Wong

also 2 of LSU's stars...Lange and Deichmann are going down to the wire too
themissinglink
AG
Interesting to see so many college guys go down to the wire this year. Maybe my memory is lacking, but I don't remember this many guys going down to the wire since the changes to the draft to place a cap on spending.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Really want to see Conlon in maroon and white.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
MountainAg99
AG
Did anyone find out more info on why Tylor signed and for how much? Did Gabe have any details?

Tylors heart must have been set on turning pro regardless of money.
themissinglink
AG
He signed for $152.5k. No idea what the situation was or why he signed, but it seems like he just wanted to turn pro.
Sean98
AG
It's a tough choice for a kid (or any of us). And frankly for most it's not about the money. They've dreamed their entire life of being a professional baseball player, and then a team sets their dream in front of them on a table. All you have to do to realize your dream is sign your name. You don't think about 2-(eternity) years of bus rides, hotels, and living paycheck to paycheck, you see a chance to play in front of 40,000 on national TV and you get the chance to start making progress towards that NOW.

Frankly it's probably a harder decision for a 28th round pick than a 3rd round pick. If you merit a 3rd, you're probably pretty sure you're going to go to college, be a weekend starter, and then get lots of exposure. If you're a 28th on a great time then you may have to languish in the pen for a bit, pick up scattered innings here and there, and hope to earn more playing time. In the minors you have greater access to more coaches/trainers/staff, and you don't have classes or NCAA mandated limited hours for practice.

I wish he had chosen to come to campus, but I can't ever hate on any kid for choosing to take an affirmative step towards their dream when it's placed in front of them.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.