Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Homebrew Board - Recipes

370,687 Views | 3345 Replies | Last: 18 days ago by 62strat
Kyle98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A post on the beer thread made me decide to start this up. Homebrewtalk.com is a good resource, but I thought it would be fun to trade recipe ideas and get critiques from fellow Ags.

I bottled a double IPA a couple of weeks ago, and started drinking it this past weekend, and it came out fantastic. I took Vinnie Cilurzo's Pliny recipe and tweaked it a bit to coincide with my hop preferences. I was still doing extract at the time.

Here's what I did:

Grains/Extract:
10lbs Extra Pale LME
1/2lb Crystal 20L
1/2lb Carapils
3/4lb corn sugar

Specialty grains steeped for 30 minutes at 165*, 5lbs of LME and the corn sugar added at boil. Other 5lbs added at 15min.

Hops:
4oz Chinook - 90min
0.75oz Chinook- 45min
1.25oz Simcoe - 30 min
0.75oz Centennial - Flameout
2.5oz Simcoe - Flameout

Fermentation:
2x vials of White Labs WLP001 California Ale Yeast. Pitched @ ~65*. Femented around 64-68* using a swamp cooler setup with rotating frozen water bottles when the weather was warmer.

Dry hopping:
Racked to secondary after 9 days
1oz each Chinook/Centennial/Simcoe for 14 days total
0.25oz each Chinook/Centenntial/Simcoe for last 5 days

Bottled to 2.2 vols of CO2 with corn sugar. Ended up with just over 4 gallons bottled due to losses to hops and trub.

Tried a bottle on Saturday, and holy crap, I can't believe I made a beer that good. I can't wait to try it again, but all grain!

For my next beer, I'm making my first venture into all grain, using a BIAB setup. I'm going for a simple ESB:

9lbs Maris Otter
1lb English Medium Crystal (50-60L)

Mash at 148* for 60 min

1oz Challenger - 60min

White Labs WL002 English Ale Yeast
WorkBoots09
AG
Good idea Kyle98. I've done 3 BIAB batches so far, and I have been impressed not only by the quality improvement but also the ease of the brew day. You won't regret it. The main thing that advances quality of your beer at an early stage is fermentation temperature control. I live in Arlington, so summer means swamp coolers and/or budgeting for a craigslist fridge and temp controller.

My last beer was a winter warmer that I took from HBT. It was MoodyCopperpot's Santa Baby Spiced Ale. I freaking nailed it. 6.5%, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and brown sugar. Lordy it is good. Now that the weather is warming up, I'm switching to a couple of wheat recipes that I want to flesh out into my own house recipe. The first one is going to be a small batch of spiced rye wheat. 3 gallons

Grain
3 lbs Pale 2-row
3 lbs Wheat
8oz Rye
4oz Flaked Wheat

Hops
.5oz Pacifica @ 60 min
1 oz Motueka @ 30 min
.50z Pacifica @ 5 min

Spices
1 oz Sage
1 oz Rosemary
1 zest of one lemon
(All in hop bag, last 5 minutes of boil)

Yeast
WLP 320 or Wyeast 1010

After that, I'll probably drop the spices and mess with the grain bill for head retention and see how I like it in a full 5 gal batch.

farmer2010
AG
That spiced rye wheat sounds like it'll be really good. Let us know how it turns out.
Sooner Born
Anyone have an extract tripel or dubbel recipe or an all grain that could be converted to an extract?
Kyle98
AG
Here's a pretty simple Tripel:

9lbs Pilsner LME
1lb Light Belgian Candi Sugar
1lb Carapils (steeping grain)

2oz Hallertau - 60min

WLP500 or Wyeast 1214
Sooner Born
Is that a 5 gallon batch, Kyle?
Scriffer
AG
Can anyone recommend an extract recipe for a Saison that's reasonably close to Brooklyn Sorachi Ace? I know AggieOO is into those, so hopefully he chimes in.
Kyle98
AG
Yeah, that's for 5 gallons.
62strat
AG
I brewed this English bitter and donated the mostly full keg to Rockwell's in Houston for a benefit one night.. They sold the pints for $2 I think. Anyway.. I was surprised to have lots of people come to me and comment on how much they liked it.

Banner Bitter
8lbs 4oz marris otter
8oz C60
4oz C120
1oz chocolate malt

mash at 154 for 1 hour

1/2oz northern brewer for 60 min
1oz east kent goldings for 30 min
1oz east kent goldings for 10 min

white labs california ale (WLP001)
1.039 OG
4% abv

A good ol american ipa. Based on piranha pale ale by Bj's brewhouse.
9 lbs 2row
1 lb white wheat
1/2 lb c10
1/2 lb honey malt
1.1 oz roasted barley

mash 154 for 60 min

1oz columbus 1 hour
1oz cascade 30 min
1oz willamette 10 min
1oz willamette 5 min

WLP001 yeast
1.061 OG
1.014 FG
6% abv

AggieOO
That's slightly illegal.
62strat
AG
OH yeh... We didn't sell beer, we gave away beer with a donation to the cause.

[This message has been edited by 62strat (edited 3/25/2014 8:50a).]
jock itch
quote:
Can anyone recommend an extract recipe for a Saison that's reasonably close to Brooklyn Sorachi Ace? I know AggieOO is into those, so hopefully he chimes in.

We just piloted a more sessionable Saison with Sorachi Ace in mind, so hopefully I can at least point you in the right direction. Ours was just 100% Pilsner malt w/ all of the hops added late (in the whirlpool for our system). Sorachi generally is high alpha, so it doesn't take much to get to the 30-40 IBUs that Brooklyn has listed on their site. Brooklyn also lists a sugar addition which we didn't do because of the lower gravity, but I would suggest maybe 10% of the fermentables. Regular table sugar is fine.

We used French Saison for the yeast (Wyeast 3711), but I have a feeling Brooklyn uses something proprietary. Either way, 3711 makes a fantastic beer and is easy to work with.

Hopefully that at least helps a little!
Kyle98
AG
The guys over on HBT seem to think that they use champagne yeast after primary fermentation is done.
danieljustin06
AG
So, at Bluebonnet, I won 10 lbs of Rahr 2-row and a bunch of Belma hops. The hops have a slight citrus to strawberry and melon notes. I'm trying to figure out what I want to brew.
farmer2010
AG
^ I think I'd make a simple pale ale with those ingredients + a pound or so of crystal 20L, doing Belma additions @ 60, 45, 30, 15, 5, flameout, and dry hopping. The goal would be to find out everything that Belma has to offer.
danieljustin06
AG
Sounds like a good idea. It's all loose leaf hops and I haven't measured out exactly how much I have yet. With loose leaf, do you use more, less, or the same as you would with pellets?
Kyle98
AG
You'll get a little more utilization from pellet hops, I think, but not much. Do you use Brewsmith or some other brewing software? It should be able to do calculations for you.
jock itch
quote:
The guys over on HBT seem to think that they use champagne yeast after primary fermentation is done.

Yep, that's what their website says too. My best guess is they're using it for bottle conditioning.
Kyle98
AG
quote:
Yep, that's what their website says too. My best guess is they're using it for bottle conditioning.

Filter out the primary yeast and add the champagne yeast when bottling, I'm guessing? Not something that's really easy for most homebrewers. At least not those at my stage!
danieljustin06
AG
Yeah, I use beersmith, but I haven't gotten around to using the hop conversion. I'll take a look at it when I get home.
AggieOO
quote:

still most likely illegal, but doubt anyone is going to come busting down the door.
jock itch
quote:
Filter out the primary yeast and add the champagne yeast when bottling, I'm guessing? Not something that's really easy for most homebrewers. At least not those at my stage!

I wouldn't bother filtering, but rather just add the champagne yeast and priming sugar, then bottle away! If kegging just add the yeast and sugar directly into the keg.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:

still most likely illegal, but doubt anyone is going to come busting down the door.
Not on my part. I just gave Tiffany a keg of beer Totally legal.
AggieOO
there are actually laws on how much homebrew you can transport, so yeah, maybe illegal on your part. but maybe not b/c i can't remember the limit.
danieljustin06
AG
Per TABC code, you are supposed to call TABC whenever you transport any homebrew over 32 oz (IIRC). I learned this because Bluebonnet got flagged for that and a couple of other issues that were easy enough fixes.
farmer2010
AG
What a stupid law.
62strat
AG
hahah.. right.. like I'm gonna call because I want to bring a keg to a friends house, or to a homebrew club meeting.

I'm sure that's what TABC wants to spend their time on.
danieljustin06
AG
I agree it's a stupid law. I really wonder how many people followed that law for Bluebonnet.
Kyle98
AG
Brewed my ESB on Saturday. First attempt at all grain, went pretty well. Used the BIAB method. Got about 70% efficiency. I'm hoping that will improve as I go. The new 16 gallon kettle is much better than my old 8 gallon one!
khkman22
AG
Did you lose much temp during the course of the mash? One issue I've wondered about with getting a 15 or 20 gallon pot for the occasional time I would do a 10 gallon batch is controlling the mash temp. If I didn't think I'd ever do a 10 gallon batch, I think I would be fine with a 10 gallon pot.
Kyle98
AG
Nope, only lost maybe a degree over the course of the mash. I wrapped a think blanket around the kettle to help with insulation.
jock itch
quote:
Brewed my ESB on Saturday.

Love me some ESB. Did you use the 1968/WLP002 Fuller's strain?
Kyle98
AG
Yep, used WLP002.
Kyle98
AG
Thinking of doing a Saison next, with the summer heat coming up. Anyone used WLP565 and had success? How hot do I need to get? I'm reading that some people had to get up to 90* to get it to finish!
jock itch
quote:
Thinking of doing a Saison next, with the summer heat coming up. Anyone used WLP565 and had success? How hot do I need to get? I'm reading that some people had to get up to 90* to get it to finish!

565 is reportedly the Dupont strain, which despite tasting fantastic (IMO) is supposed to be a royal PITA as you mentioned.

We use Wyeast 3711 (French Saison) for all our saisons and for the most part are very pleased with it. It ferments out anything you throw at it, is pretty easy to work with, and is very versatile in that you can get the entire range of saison flavors by varying the growth phase temperature. I haven't experimented with it enough personally, but supposedly you get more spice/pepper as temperatures rise and more phenolics at the lower end. Our standard procedure now is to pitch around 62-64F, then once fermentation has taken off let free-rise to 75F. I know some people that let it go higher (85+), but I haven't had the balls to try that yet honestly!

Basically if you have a lot of beers in your pipeline, the Dupont strain would definitely be a fun experiment. If you don't, 3711 is a safer bet and still produces a fantastic beer IMO.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.