***** Official Rangers Off-Season Thread *****

63,397 Views | 714 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IronAg45
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rangers Baseball Express, LLC owns the franchise. Mr. Davis and Simpson own most of it. After they bought the team in 2010, Chuck Greenberg was bought out first - then Nolan Ryan. Neither of them owned a controlling interest.

Not sure who all are still minority owners but Mr. Pride was still one of them. Less than 1%, I believe, but still more than I own.
DeangeloVickers
AG
If we trade and get a MLB starter we are going it wrong. We need minor league high upside players so bad.

I can't believe how quickly our minor league teams sucked
Grapesoda2525
DeangeloVickers said:

If we trade and get a MLB starter we are going it wrong. We need minor league high upside players so bad.

Dunning and lowe both have 5-6 years of control off the top of my head. Dahl has 3 years of control.

These guys are potential building blocks.
wbt5845
AG
it is not unreasonable to think Guzman may not be the man at 1B.
DannyDuberstein
AG
At age 26, I think peak Guzman is probably a .250 hitter who could hit 20 HR's and play good defense. There are worse things, but if that is what is holding down 1B, they need a guy that can rake at the other corner if you are trying to put a contender together vs an average team with a bunch of replacement level players. Hipefully one of these developing guys like Jung can be that guy
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

DeangeloVickers said:

Dunning and lowe both have 5-6 years of control off the top of my head. Dahl has 3 years of control.

These guys are potential building blocks.
I want to be optimistic, but Lowe looks like Guzman. We can stack a ton of "just a guy" types on the roster, but we only get 40 spots. At some point, you need some quality.

I don't think we can determine what we have with Dunning. The short season probably helped his return from TJ. 34 IP/7GS is probably better than 150 IP. I didn't follow him, but with expanded rosters and a shorter season, I don't think we really know if he will be a sub-4.00 ERA pitcher.

He would be a Rule V guy, so he is on the roster. Yes, I know the draft just happened, but after 2021...

We have a ton of guys like Dunning.

For 2021, we'll have (slated for rotation):
Kyle Gibson (32): 5.35 ERA in 12 GS
Jordan Lyles (29): 7.02 ERA in 9 GS

Kolby Allard (22): 7.75 ERA in 8 GS
Kyle Cody (25): 1.59 ERA in 5 GS
Dane Dunning (25)
------------------------------------------------
Next man up:
Joe Palumbo (25)
Brett Martin (25)
Taylor Hearn (25)
John King (25)
Joe Gatto (25)
Brock Burke (23)

Jonathan Hernandez (23)
AJ Alexy (22)

Those are just guys on the current roster.

Glad we got something for Lance Lynn, but Dunning could be just another AAA SP competing for a rotation role among the other 25 year olds we already have.
The recent trades made sense because unfortunately for the rangers, the vast majority of their talent or "quality" in the minor leagues is still concentrated at the lower levels. They needed some major league ready guys to step in and play.
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

For 2021, we'll have (slated for rotation):
Kyle Gibson (32): 5.35 ERA in 12 GS
Jordan Lyles (29): 7.02 ERA in 9 GS

Kolby Allard (22): 7.75 ERA in 8 GS
Kyle Cody (25): 1.59 ERA in 5 GS
Dane Dunning (25)
------------------------------------------------
Next man up:
Joe Palumbo (25)
Brett Martin (25)
Taylor Hearn (25)
John King (25)
Joe Gatto (25)
Brock Burke (23)

Jonathan Hernandez (23)
AJ Alexy (22)
Isn't Wes Benjamin a starter?

I agree this is the weakest unit on our team. For this season, you cross your fingers and hope Gibson and Lyles are better. Cody and Dunning - well, we're gonna find out if they're part of the future.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

New GM same as Old GM.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/12/rangers-sign-jharel-cotton-jason-martin-to-minor-league-deals.html

Jharel Cotton is a decent starting pitcher coming off TJ surgery. No harm in giving him a flyer on a minor league contract.

Jason Martin sucks.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Signing those kinds of guys isn't a problem. It's a problem when that's basically all you do. They're gonna have to fill out a roster somehow.
CampingAg
AG
Ranger #007 said:

Signing those kinds of guys isn't a problem. It's a problem when that's basically all you do. They're gonna have to fill out a roster somehow.
Yep. This teams absolutely loves handing out fliers. YOU get a flyer, YOU get a flyer, YOU get a flyer.
wbt5845
AG
Montero gone to Mariners for a 17 year old pitching prospect. This one is a bit of a head scratcher. I realize Montero is AB3, but he was good last year - seems like we coulda got more.
DallasAg 94
Disco Stu
AG
Which TJ pitchers looking for a comeback are taking up a spot on the 40?
Seven Costanza
AG
South Platte
I wish we had better players.
Proposition Joe
College football at the ballpark, just what we've always wanted!
Mr Gigem
AG
Why are you complaining about that?
Proposition Joe
Because that's my shtick?

Actually, as long as it's not A&M I don't really mind, though I hate all the gimmicky neutral site stuff.
dvldog
AG
Context? Was something about this mentioned above and I'm blind?
Proposition Joe
Army vs Air Force next year at GLF
dvldog
AG
Ah. Thanks for the reply.
KT 90
AG

TXAggie2011
AG
Proposition Joe said:

College football at the ballpark, just what we've always wanted!
I'm glad the game is coming to Arlington, but from a financially disinterested big picture viewpoint, its dumb to play it inside Globe Life Field, which is sandwiched between a real football stadium and Globe Life Park, which was partially renovated to essentially become a football stadium.

Arlington doesn't need 3 40,000+ seat football stadiums.
TXAggie2011
AG
By the way, based on the renderings...they're going to have to do what they did at Wrigley Field and have each offense play in the same direction all game. The endzone boundary is right against the outfield wall.

CampingAg
AG
I'm in a Rangers history internet wormhole (depressing I know). What's the story behind why Chuck Morgan went to KC for the 2002 season?
DannyDuberstein
AG
If I recall, KC hired away the Rangers VP of Sales/Marketing, and I guess Chuck was close to him so he brought Chuck along. But the pull back to Texas was too much so he bailed after a year. I also think Chuck and Jim Lites butted heads which played a part.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
CampingAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

DannyDuberstein said:

If I recall, KC hired away the Rangers VP of Sales/Marketing, and I guess Chuck was close to him so he brought Chuck along. But the pull back to Texas was too much so he bailed after a year. I also think Chuck and Jim Lites butted heads which played a part.
I think that was also along the time that Lites wanted to change the Rangers game-day experience to be more like the Dallas Stars.

They cranked up the music between batters and made it just awful.

A sport designed for conversation was suddenly alienating one of its core benefits.
Thanks. Interesting. I stumbled upon a Rangers Angels game from 2002 on YouTube. It was just weird.
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

My biggest gripe about the new GLP is that seats are directed to the top of the infield dirt behind 2B. That means if you want to watch baseball, you have to rotate 30+% to see the pitcher's mound...
Not from my seat boo-yah....

DallasAg 94
Correct.
KT 90
AG
I missed this, it's about a week old. Former Ag Wacha to the Rays for pretty cheap. You'd think the Rangers would have (should have) been interested in him at that price range.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.