***** Official Rangers Off-Season Thread *****

63,388 Views | 714 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IronAg45
DeangeloVickers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There are ~4.17 runs scored per game. So, in theory you need 5 runs to win

1.39 home runs per game in the 2019 regular season
Previous high was 1.25 home runs per game, set in 2017

So that alone proves you need on base more and can't just swing for the fences....

However, the theory is walk or swing for fence....I still don't understand when teams are only hitting one homerun per game....

From what I can tell the most effective way to win is cheat and know what pitch is coming by banging on a trashcan...
Carlo4
AG
Don't worry. The Rangers will still take the first pitch that's luke warm pecker high for strike one every time.
PatAg
AG
I think its not as simple as "just bunt down the line" or "slap it to the left side"

For one, that's what the other team wants to have happen. Limiting Gallo to one base is a win for them, on average.

Two, the opposing pitcher isn't going to be throwing the ball where you can easily go the other way. He is pitching to the shift.
Personally, I'd like to see some rules put in to just get rid of the shift all together, as I think it can't be fun for anyone involved. It's not fun to watch for fans of any team, it's not fun to hit into, and it cant be fun to be a part of either.
duck79
AG
If they are having trouble bunting I know a coach at a local well known Texas university that loves to teach it.......it's not always executed though.
KT 90
AG
Fore Left! said:

We've been saying this for years, yet they don't because they've decided slugging away is still worth it. That's why I've finally come around to say "**** it, I'm okay with a rule change"

This is where I am as well, I think. The overuse of the ****s doesn't make a good product to watch, so some tweaking to bar the extreme shifts is in order. I am for experimenting with some changes to see what works best.
South Platte
PatAg said:

I think its not as simple as "just bunt down the line" or "slap it to the left side"

For one, that's what the other team wants to have happen. Limiting Gallo to one base is a win for them, on average.

Two, the opposing pitcher isn't going to be throwing the ball where you can easily go the other way. He is pitching to the shift.
Personally, I'd like to see some rules put in to just get rid of the shift all together, as I think it can't be fun for anyone involved. It's not fun to watch for fans of any team, it's not fun to hit into, and it cant be fun to be a part of either.
What about if Gallo learns to drive it to left center gap or over the left field fence?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I kinda think if that's something he was going to do he would have done it already. Dead pull hitters have existed forever. Even with normal shifts it'd be better if a guy could just hit it where they ain't. Sure, there are guys that can do that, but I don't think it's easy as just learning to do it.
DallasAg 94
gigem1223
Gallo continues to rake with a 2-2, 2BB, 2 rbi night.
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
Had great hope for Taveras right outta the box, but if he isn't ready, he isn't ready.

To those who say bring all the youngsters up anyway - they just get to arbitration that much sooner.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Ugh, kind of forgot we had DeShields back in camp. Given that this season is basically a throw-away season, we need to see what we have in Taveras and White. We already know what DeShields is: has some speed and good range/glove in the outfield, but has a noodle arm and isn't going to hit for much average or power. Unless we are going to send Taveras down to play every day for a month or two, then bring him back up and cut DeShields, I don't see why we would waste a roster spot on DeShields.
DallasAg 94
CampingAg
AG
I hope Leody wins CF. He's fun to watch. A true CF.
Schall 02
AG
This.

https://www.si.com/mlb/2021/03/17/baseball-preview-pace-of-play-crisis
IronAg45
AG
wbt5845 said:

Had great hope for Taveras right outta the box, but if he isn't ready, he isn't ready.

To those who say bring all the youngsters up anyway - they just get to arbitration that much sooner.

I had high hopes for him too but I think he would be better served in AAA most of this year.
DallasAg 94
investorAg83
AG
Dunning with 3 good innings right after. He's going to be just fine...loved that trade.
AgBQ-00
AG
Really good read. I think you will see a huge shift in play if strikeouts become hated by batters again.
PatAg
AG
South Platte said:

PatAg said:

What about if Gallo learns to drive it to left center gap or over the left field fence?
MVP if he does
gigem1223
Khris Davis with a 3-4, 2HR, 4 RBI night
Grapesoda2525
gigem1223 said:

Khris Davis with a 3-4, 2HR, 4 RBI night
It's nice to see, but I don't think he has to worry about making the team. Any decently smart front office would use the first 2 months of the season to evaluate a guy like him. Would be nice to flip him for a prospect at the deadline if he can still hit.
DallasAg 94
jtstanley4621
AG
Would be really nice if Gallo and Davis hit well enough to turn around for some top prospects. I would imagine all things equal Gallo would bring the biggest haul.

Also just want to add that I am still 10/10 disgusted that Elvis is now on the A's. Just feels all kinds of wrong
wbt5845
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

Would be really nice if Gallo and Davis hit well enough to turn around for some top prospects. I would imagine all things equal Gallo would bring the biggest haul.

Also just want to add that I am still 10/10 disgusted that Elvis is now on the A's. Just feels all kinds of wrong
He's hitting .120. Also guess I missed Moreland signing with them. He's around .200
jtstanley4621
AG
Wow, no idea Moreland was there too. Who knows what sort of production Elvis will have there, I just meant more that it's going to be really gross to see him in an A's uniform. One of my all time favorite Rangers
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
" Payroll in 2019 was $118M and 20th in MLB. 2020... "

This is almost criminal to be one of the bigger markets and to be ranked 20th. We are behind market wise I assume: NY, LA, Chicago? Maybe another.

KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

I don't recall seeing this posted here:

MLBTR posted ALWest projects from FanGraphs:

Astros (89-73)
Angels (84-78)
A's (83-79)
Mariners (74-88)
Rangers (72-90)

Thoughts?

Rangers or the M's will definitely be last, most likely the Rangers. I think any one of the top three teams listed could win the division. I'd keep an eye on the Angels, if they can get off to a good start I can see them making trades to take on salary to go for it. They are growing tired of the write ups claiming Trout is wasting his prime years on non-playoff contending teams.
Trucker 96
KT 90 said:

" Payroll in 2019 was $118M and 20th in MLB. 2020... "

This is almost criminal to be one of the bigger markets and to be ranked 20th. We are behind market wise I assume: NY, LA, Chicago? Maybe another.

I actually do consider it criminal given the taxpayer stadium funding. Seriously, I honestly consider this ownership group thieving low lifes. No better than some ahole that would stickup a gas station on Cooper
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
" Not nearly as criminal as the $87M projected for 2021"

That is just taking the misdemeanor to a felony. Where would 87M put us in the team rankings?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.