***** Official Rangers Off-Season Thread *****

63,413 Views | 714 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IronAg45
Mr Gigem
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wbt5845 said:

Mr Gigem said:

wbt5845 said:

Mr Gigem said:

PRESS RELEASE INCOMING

So where are my tickets? The app is empty.

March 17 in your app

And is the plan at this time I have my same games, my same seats? (p.s. - I don't have a good cell number for you anymore so text me if you like).

Yes.

It's not technically 100% capacity as MLB stated. It's full capacity based on the seating protocols we have setting. We will have distanced seating sections in the outfield for those that few more comfortable being spaced out for the time being
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
This group is definitely throwing off some Hicks vibes.
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

Even if the goal is simply to make fans happy (even if it doesn't move the franchise closer to a world series), you seriously overestimate our fanbases's desire to be done with rougie.

Id bet on any given night this year there will be 100 people with Odor shirts on at the ballpark.
I guess I don't interact with the right people then in regard to odor.

Another ranger message board I post on, it's unanimous. Everyone hates him and wants him gone.

When I listen to the radio after games, most fans are disappointed and upset with odors performance.

The fans on lone star ball all admit odor is a joke.

Who are these fans who love odor and why do they love a guy who can barely hit above .200? It defies logic or reality.
Proposition Joe
Grapesoda2525 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Even if the goal is simply to make fans happy (even if it doesn't move the franchise closer to a world series), you seriously overestimate our fanbases's desire to be done with rougie.

Id bet on any given night this year there will be 100 people with Odor shirts on at the ballpark.

Another ranger message board I post on, it's unanimous. Everyone hates him and wants him gone.

When I listen to the radio after games, most fans are disappointed and upset with odors performance.

The fans on lone star ball all admit odor is a joke.

Who are these fans who love odor and why do they love a guy who can barely hit above .200? It defies logic or reality.

You err in thinking the majority of the "fanbase" are message board posters.

Are large chunk of the people that buy tickets every night are coming out there simply to be entertained, see their favorite players, a few homeruns, maybe some fireworks. The short and long term strategy of the franchise rarely crosses their mind.
DallasAg 94
Danny Vermin
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Maybe they're just tired of listening to your non-stop ****ting on Odor and quit responding to you.

You tried it on here and many of us have grown tired of it.

And those of us with Stars, ignore your annoying ass.
DallasAg 94
Danny Vermin
Sorry, my post was about pothead grapesoda and his neverending odor posts and lefty agenda.
DallasAg 94
jtstanley4621
AG
Saw we scored 17 runs against the Mariners, get on, see some posts, and it's this useless drivel
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
DeangeloVickers
AG
Was really.hoping Tavares was gonna lead off
gigem1223
DallasAg 94 said:

Rangers combined for 1 H, today.

IKF (SS)
Solak (2B)
Gallo (RF)
Davis (LF)
Odor (3B)
Guzman (1B)
Lowe (DH)
Heim (C)
Taveras (CF)

Not sure how Odor looked at 3B, or Solak @ 2B.

Hearn went 2.1, 2K, 0R

That's at least 600 strikeouts sitting in the heart of the order
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Rule changes to be tested in the minors this year:
https://www.mlb.com/news/baseball-rule-changes-tested-in-minor-leagues-in-2021?partnerId=zh-20210312-156906-MLB&qid=1026&bt_ee=%2FWqZQydQtxx%2BMfMHVCjsE8CSDAvDUwtJukuVWlQvs5JD4Y2HRjj9fpiMlZK7s%2Bx%2B&bt_ts=1615552943025

this one will be interesting:

DEFENSIVE POSITIONING RESTRICTIONS (ALL DOUBLE-A)
"Infielder" will never be a misnomer in Double-A this year. The first baseman, second baseman, shortstop and third baseman will be required to have both feet completely in front of the outer infield dirt boundary when the pitch is delivered.
Note that this is different than the oft-discussed idea of forcing teams to have two infielders on each side of the second-base bag -- a rule that was part of past Atlantic League experimentation. So infielders can still shift to the other side of the diamond, but they must position themselves within the infield.
This is more easily enforced by umpires than a restriction on lateral movement in which players could conceivably rush from one side of the second-base bag to the other as the pitch crosses the plate. It is possible, though, that MLB may require two infielders on each side of second base in the second half of the Double-A season, depending on how the initial experiment goes in the first half.
The goal here is, simply, a higher batting average on balls in play. Under this new arrangement, for example, the scorching ground ball we so often see gobbled up by a second baseman positioned in shallow right is more likely to get through.
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
For the longest time, I was in the side that the 7 players should be able to play anywhere. But I've actually come around on this because I hate what the shift has done to the game so incredibly much. One of my self-justifications is that we tell pitchers and catchers where they have to be, so why not a little more I guess. I can live with a "stay on the dirt" more than directing which side players need to be on
sburg2007
I'm 100% with you. I want to see hitters be better; use the entire field to beat someone.
rbtexan
S
Most of the time I would completely agree, because I don't like the tinkering with rules. However, there was great wailing and gnashing of teeth when replay was introduced to MLB, and it has (IMO) worked pretty well. As it pertains to these hard shifts, I think it's time they pull that back some.

The issue that I have with the shift is that it doesn't really force the players to actually field their position. I can see the argument that a dead pull hitter should learn to go the other way, but to me it compromises the integrity of the game when you can so load one side of the infield as to make the chances of a pull hitter getting a hit almost impossible. Also, it's not like the shift is a time honored tradition - at least not the way it's being implemented currently. Having effectively 5 infielders between 2nd and 1st isn't baseball to me, it feels more like tee ball type stuff.

Totally my opinion here, and I concede that there are points to be made for keeping it the way it is. I've just never liked it. And as it relates to the Rangers, you have to wonder (had the dramatic shifts been disallowed) how much better the averages of Gallo, Odor, etc. would have been/would be.
Trucker 96
This is what I thought as well, but since the response of the game has largely been to focus on Three True Outcomes and slug away, I've given up on them fixing this with strategy at the plate.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Positive: Hearn went 2.1, 2K, 0 R

Negative: Rangers combined for 1 H, today.

IKF (SS)
Solak (2B)
Gallo (RF)
Davis (LF)
Odor (3B)
Guzman (1B)
Lowe (DH)
Heim (C)
Taveras (CF)

Not sure how Odor looked at 3B, or Solak @ 2B.

Told you Hearn was probably going to start.

He has several things going for him. He's a lefty and he's a prospect fully developed outside the rangers farm system.
investorAg83
AG
Fore Left! said:

For the longest time, I was in the side that the 7 players should be able to play anywhere. But I've actually come around on this because I hate what the shift has done to the game so incredibly much. One of my self-justifications is that we tell pitchers and catchers where they have to be, so why not a little more I guess. I can live with a "stay on the dirt" more than directing which side players need to be on

Agreed. If it gets rid of this nonsense, I'm ok with it.

DallasAg 94
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I abhor the shift and anything they can do to get rid of that crap is fine by me. I'm not sure having your feet on the dirt completely solves the problem though. I also wonder if the dirt is consistent in every stadium in terms of distance from the plate.

In terms of changing the game, I'm more concerned with the rule where they're enlarging the bases by three inches. They can say it will have a moderate effect but that's likely to change a few calls in every game.
DallasAg 94
Trucker 96
We've been saying this for years, yet they don't because they've decided slugging away is still worth it. That's why I've finally come around to say "**** it, I'm okay with a rule change"
hawk1689
AG
I think the best thing MLB can do is do more of what they're already doing...calling the high strikes. Hitters need to be forced to swing their bats. The game has gone stale with these .220/80 walk guys. Teams will correct the shift by brining in players that go opposite field.
sburg2007
The arc is 95' from the middle of the rubber all the way around.
wbt5845
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

investorAg83 said:

Fore Left! said:

Agreed. If it gets rid of this nonsense, I'm ok with it.

Just take the double to the Left side. Wear out the defense having to chase down the ball.

You slap that ball to where the 3B should be and you have the entire defense running. You are standing on 2B... maybe 3rd and the Defense is a bit winded.

Next hitter up and the defense has to play straight up.
DallasAg 94
Schall 02
AG
Stale. You nailed it. That's exactly I feel about the game and, generally speaking, this organization.

AgBQ-00
AG
Absolutely. The product that MLB is putting out for a while now is boring baseball. It is tiring watching homeruns and strikeouts and whole lot less strategy.
wbt5845
AG
First of all, don't put it all on Odor and Gallo. Their approach at the plate is EXACTLY what the Rangers want them to do.

I would really like to see some teams doing some next level analytics. What is the run scoring probability when the defense basically gives you a 100% chance of reaching base with the silly shift on? Hell, Gallo could bunt for a double with the shift shown above.

And I hate the counter argument "you're taking the bat out of the hands of you bets hitter by doing that." Those guys do a good enough job of that on their own walking back to the dugout after another strikeout.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.