***** Official Rangers Off-Season Thread *****

63,381 Views | 714 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IronAg45
toucan82
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I can't imagine watching one of the teams ranked below the Rangers this season
investorAg83
AG
The Pirates actually have a couple young guys that are pretty intriguing. Probably 2-3 years away though.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
And the #1 pick
DallasAg 94
IronAg45
AG
With pitchers and catchers reporting and spring training just around the corner, what are some things we want to see that will give us hope for the near future?
hawk1689
AG
I don't care about winning this year, but I don't want to waste my time watching Gibson or Lyles. I want to see one of our 22+ year old pitching prospects on the mound every night. Don't even care if Foltyniewicz throws an inning.
Schall 02
AG
I cancelled my mlb.tv subscription. That's what I think of the team's watchability this year.
CampingAg
AG
Just learned that former Rangers PBP guy (and Angels for the last decade or so) is now Owner and GM of the RoughRiders. Interesting career track.
Disco Stu
AG
Chuck Greenberg still owns the RoughRiders. Victor Rojas has been hired as President and GM.
KT 90
AG
Gibson, our likely opening day starter.... gulp.

https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/kyle-gibson-a-leader-in-rangers-clubhouse-on-field

rbtexan
S
I have zero optimism about this team in '21 as it pertains to W/L record. I do think, however, that it will be interesting to watch & find out if they actually follow through on this new "meritocracy" initiative.

For me, it would be forward progress to (for example) show Odor a nice spot on the bench if/when his BA drops down below .200, as it always does. One of the biggest frustrations I've had watching the Rangers is their insistence on trotting the same players out there day after day when they are proven underperformers.

I'm skeptical, but I hope maybe Woodward will begin to go with the players who are producing/hustling/improving, as opposed to feeling obligated to play some stiff just because he has an overinflated contract.

If that should happen, I can see myself enjoying watching the Rangers this season. I could find some satisfaction in watching guys like Taveras, Solak, etc. develop (or not). That said, I do think the pitching is liable to be absolutely brutal and I foresee a lot of teams scoring in double digits against them.
toucan82
Whatever you do, don't look up Odor's stats from last year. They're even worse than I was expecting
DallasAg 94
wbt5845
AG
FWIW - Matt Bush has been impressive so far in camp. Regularly hitting 95 mph with his fast ball in his comeback from TJ. Not even stretched out yet, he ought to still be a 100 mph guy.
CampingAg
AG
We have to have the most TJ guys of all time.
hawk1689
AG
Did we lose somebody else?
Daveintx
Lot of well wishes to choo floating around out there, did I miss something? Also, if so, our payroll just took another major cut
BryanAggie2013
AG
He signed to play ball back in South Korea, with the SK Wyverns.

Cool for him to go finish out his career back home!

https://www.mlb.com/news/shin-soo-choo-kbo-2021
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Rangers gunna get PHAT on those Lotto Tickets.

Tyson Ross and Ian Kennedy both signed to minor league deals.

We may have to get a 2nd AAA team to give all these SPs a place to throw.

Ready for them get a few more 2B'ers in camp. Put some pressure on Solak, Santana, and Calhoun.

Neil Walker? Logan Forsythe?
It's supposedly a meritocracy now. Players need to earn their spots and their playing time at the highest level of the game.
Proposition Joe
I feel like when you hear stuff like that from the organization that its conveniently quickly followed with a new team slogan like "It Must Be Earned".

T-shirt presses already running.
AgBQ-00
AG
Do we still have Fielder on the books or has he finally dropped off? Sad to see Choo go. I liked him but it opens up more room for younger guys. I still wonder if this front office has a clue about finding and getting young talent to the majors. Seems the best they have ever done was getting young talent from elsewhere to build a contender
ChipFTAC01
AG
Prince is off the payroll.
AgBQ-00
AG
That is good to know
rbtexan
S
Hey....maybe if we leaked the rumor that Rob Childress was having TJ surgery, the Rangers would fire Woodward and hire him to be the manager....
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Disco Stu
AG
Arihara
Grapesoda2525
Hearns
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
We're paying +/- $20M for our pitching staff? My goodness! Does any team have a lower payroll for their starting 5?

This year is going to suck.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
EastSideAg2002
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

We're paying +/- $20M for our pitching staff? My goodness! Does any team have a lower payroll for their starting 5?

This year is going to suck.
But think of the possibility of wins/dollar spent.
DallasAg 94

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.