***** Official Rangers Off-Season Thread *****

63,392 Views | 714 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IronAg45
Quincey P. Morris
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yeah, that's not gonna play real well in Texas.
Mr Gigem
AG
I'm already imagining season ticket holders blowing up my phone tomorrow

Edit: checked my email right after posting this, and sure enough I have a voicemail already from a STH wanting to discuss this and asking if the Rangers are going to do this
wbt5845
AG
I haven't called. And my experience is the black players in MLB are mostly Carribean and they LOVE America!
WestTexasAg
AG
Mr Gigem said:

No way. Odor does not have the defensive skills or arm strength to play 3B
Apparently management disagrees with your opinion.....

https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/rangers-trade-elvis-andrus-for-khris-davis

Quote:

Third base will still be an open competition in Arizona, with Rougned Odor leading the pack, but the trade did not affect the Rangers' plans with top prospect Josh Jung.
hawk1689
AG
I already held a grudge against the NBA due to the way the Mavs were hosed in 2006. This just gives me a reason to not watch at all.
Proposition Joe
hawk1689 said:

I already held a grudge against the NBA due to the way the Mavs were hosed in 2006. This just gives me a reason to not watch at all.

I think you got your virtue signaling threads crossed.
rebag00
AG
Back to Baseball -
Rangers sign (checks notes) Mike Foltynewicz, former Brave SP to a one year deal. Was an All Star in 2018. Only pitched 3.5 innings last "season."
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Legal Custodian
AG
NBA just released a statement saying the National Anthem before the game is required. Cuban walking it back.
toucan82
Might as well if we're still taking flyers on guys
Old Tom Morris
LOL at cuban getting a public neutering by the nba
hawk1689
AG
Everything is fair game in the offseason.
rebag00
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

rebag00 said:

Back to Baseball -
Rangers sign (checks notes) Mike Foltynewicz, former Brave SP to a one year deal. Was an All Star in 2018. Only pitched 3.5 innings last "season."
When was his TJ?
I get it...sadly.

I may buy his jersey t-shirt just to confuse folks years from now. Still wear my faded Saltalamacchia T-shirt around at times.
rbtexan
S
Jon Daniels has a fixation on reclamation projects. Without having researched it at all, I would think we've signed more of those type of players than any other team in baseball in the last decade. Over and over, he picks up players (especially pitchers) who have had one good year in their career, totally ignoring the player's multiple bad/mediocre seasons, and somehow expects them to figure it out with the Rangers. It works out every now and then, but for the most part it's a bust.

This team has never, in its history, developed strong pitching in the minors. Just the occasional great arm, and they usually get traded away before they ever make an impact with the Rangers. Until that is fixed, it'll be the same old patchwork quilt of projects and retreads.
jtstanley4621
AG
You need at least a couple homegrown pitchers to round out your rotation to sustain success. I long for the day we see that with the Rangers. So beyond sick of taking flyers on guys who were good multiple seasons ago
DeangeloVickers
AG
Hiring a new GM and doing things the same way. ....

Daniels knows we are gonna suck and fire the "problem" GM to save face
Proposition Joe
Reclamation projects at pitcher isn't a strategy - it's what GMs use to fill out their rotations on the cheap in years where they likely aren't going to compete.
Proposition Joe
And how quickly some people forget the young arms we had coming through our system/team.

Matt Harrison - sub 4 ERA in 2011 and 2012. Made the All Star Game. Signed a 5 year deal.

Derek Holland - 4 ERA in 2010 followed by a 3.95 ERA and a WS gem in 2011. Signed a 5 year deal.

Martin Perez - 3.62 ERA in 2013. Signed a 4 year deal.

CJ Wilson - controlled on the cheap

Alexi Ogando - controlled on the cheap

Yu Darvish

I mean, I remember that Darvish + Harrison/Holland/Perez/Ogando rotation when we locked up the latter 4 on the cheap. The future had never looked brighter for Rangers starting pitching.

Then Harrison got hurt, Holland got hurt, Perez got hurt and none ever seemed to reclaim their stuff.
rbtexan
S
Some of the names you listed weren't drafted and/or developed by the Rangers.

Harrison came in a trade with the Braves and only spent a little over a half season in the Rangers farm system. Darvish was a free agent from Japan and was pretty much a finished product when he got to Texas.

I'm old enough to remember all the great arms traded away by the Rangers. Ron Darling, Walt Terrell, Dave Righetti, etc.

Point being, the Rangers have never shown a great aptitude or ability to hold on to great pitching. Even when we get a stud, they never seem to stick around for long - Nolan being the exception I would also argue that the last truly great pitcher developed by the Rangers system (starting pitcher at least, there's been some great relievers) was Kevin Brown, and that was in the mid-80s. Need to do better than that by a long shot.
wbt5845
AG
The Rangers are painfully aware of their inability to develop pitching talent. They have been working hard the last few season ti tyrn that around.

This year, we're gonna start seeing whether any of these guys are going to step up.

Kolby Allard L 23.5 Trade (ATL) Jul'19
Kyle Cody R 26.5 Drafted 6th Rd '16
Joe Palumbo L 26.3 Drafted 30th Rd '13
John King L 26.4 Drafted 10th Rd '17
Tyler Phillips R 23.3 Drafted 16th Rd '15
Yerry Rodriguez R 23.3 Amateur FA (DOM) Sep'15
A.J. Alexy R 22.8 Trade (LAD) Jul'17
Proposition Joe
My point is they made an attempt to lock up multiple young pitchers and injury knee-capped them, which then led to some albatross contracts (Harrison's contract had zero value after his back injury).

Ironically one of the best development success stories was a guy most on this forum didn't even want them to sign when free agency hit.
Carlo4
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Our biggest acquisition this off-season appears to be a guy who was granted FA and we picked up for nothing.

In 2020, he went: 24 G, .183, 0 HR, 1 SB, .222 OBP

https://www.mlb.com/rangers/news/each-mlb-team-biggest-offseason-acquisition

And the Rays got a former Aggie starter at 3 MM per year... unreal....
Grapesoda2525
Proposition Joe said:

And how quickly some people forget the young arms we had coming through our system/team.

Matt Harrison - sub 4 ERA in 2011 and 2012. Made the All Star Game. Signed a 5 year deal.

Derek Holland - 4 ERA in 2010 followed by a 3.95 ERA and a WS gem in 2011. Signed a 5 year deal.

Yu Darvish

I mean, I remember that Darvish + Harrison/Holland/Perez/Ogando rotation when we locked up the latter 4 on the cheap. The future had never looked brighter for Rangers starting pitching.

Then Harrison got hurt, Holland got hurt, Perez got hurt and none ever seemed to reclaim their stuff.

Harrison and Holland have both proven themselves to be fools gold.
DallasAg 94
Jimmy McNulty
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

After his rookie season at age 22, Holland went 54-37, 4.06 ERA in 137 GS with 7 SHO in 7 seasons for a total cost of about $28M to the Rangers.

That's about $4M.

We are paying:
Gibson (32) $9.7M - 5.35 ERA in 2020
Lyles (29) $8M - 7.02 ERA in 2020

Arihara (27) $3.6M - 3.46 in Japan in 2020
Joely (28) $2.5M - 4.56 ERA in 49.1 career IP
Foltynewicz (28) $2M - 4.33 ERA in 118 career GS over 7 seasons and he only pitched 3.1 IP in 2020

I would LOVE to have a SP in 2021 go 23 GS with a 4.06 ERA. Not a single SP on our roster projects to be sub-4.06.
Proposition Joe
Grapesoda2525 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Yu Darvish

Yes, injuries tend to do that.

"Homegrown pitchers" who are drafted and developed in a team's farm then go onto produce as a TORP for more than 3-4 years on one team (that isn't a Top 5 payroll team that can/will moneywhip players) aren't really that abundant. Usually they are either traded early on, "find it" with another team, or have a few successful years then bolt in free agency.

Texas is definitely lacking in that department, but it's not a department a ton of teams actually excel in.
wbt5845
AG

Brock Holt brought into compete at 3B. I like it.
DallasAg 94
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Proposition Joe said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Yes, injuries tend to do that.

"Homegrown pitchers" who are drafted and developed in a team's farm then go onto produce as a TORP for more than 3-4 years on one team (that isn't a Top 5 payroll team that can/will moneywhip players) aren't really that abundant. Usually they are either traded early on, "find it" with another team, or have a few successful years then bolt in free agency.

Texas is definitely lacking in that department, but it's not a department a ton of teams actually excel in.
JD was making an effort, until he got bit and depleted of talent. He went high risk/high reward.

The Dodgers do it, but they draft lots of pitchers early on.

JD went through a phase where he drafted a bunch of pitcher early. We were getting lots of LATAM players for the field, so he was able to focus on SPs. Then... they went through several seasons of TJs for every pitcher and it spooked him.

The Dodgers have always been stacked with pitching... and they always seem to have more than they need. The key, IMO, is getting a couple guys who are #2s or #3s that pitch for 10+ years.

Hershiser was drafted in '79 and played 13 years for the Dodgers.

Kershaw drafted in '06. 13 years for the Dodgers

'04: Diamond: RHP
'05: Mayberry Jr: OF
-----JD era----
'06: Kider: LHP
'07: Beaven: RHP
'07: Main: RHP
'07: Borbon: OF
'07: Neil Ramirez: RHP
'08: Smoak: 1B
'09: Purke: LHP didn't sign
'10: Scheppers: RHP
'10 Skole: OF
'10: Deglan C
'10: Luke Jackson RHP
'10: Olt: 3B
'11: Matthews: LHP
'11: Cone OF
'12: Brinson OF
'12: Gallo: 3B
'12: Wiles: RHP (2018 TJ)
'13: Alex Gonzalez: RHP (2017 TJ)
'13: Demeritte 3B PEDs
'14: Ortiz RHP
'15: Tate RHP Injured when we drafted him
'16: Ragans LHP (2018 TJ)
'17: Thomspon OF
'17 Seise SS
'18 Cole Winn RHP
'19: Jung 3B
'19: Wendzel 3B
'20: Foscue 2B
Theres something about California teams and pitching.

The giants and A's can point to a long track record of success from drafting guys to developing them and watching them grow into aces, solid #2's and 3's.
Grapesoda2525
Check out this proposed trade.

https://nolanwritin.com/2021/02/12/texas-rangers-trade-odor-contract/

The rangers could finally rid themselves of odor. I think it actually does make sense for both teams.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Would be too good to be true
Proposition Joe
Not sure it actually solves any problems for either team, just moves money towards different players that will only help the Rangers in a trade deadline type deal.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
MLB power rankings are out: https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/mlb-power-rankings-dodgers-enter-spring-training-as-baseballs-best-team-can-they-repeat-in-2021/?ftag=SNL-04-10aaa0b

26. Texas Rangers:
It's going to be weird to see them without Elvis Andrus, right? I do love the power combo potential of Joey Gallo and a possibly-but-hopefully-not-washed Khris Davis, though that ballpark seemed tough on power last year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.