***** Official Rangers Off-Season Thread *****

63,424 Views | 714 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IronAg45
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow. I'm speechless. Came outta no where.
IronAg45
AG
Wow! Did not see that coming... So how much of a leash does GM Young have under JD? Here's to hoping for some fresh ideas and a better direction then the past few years have given us...
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
This may be like the guy that just bought the Mets. As a lifelong Ranger fan, maybe he'll actually have the fans interest at heart to some extent. I know you can't completely cater to fans but maybe he'll be more willing to bring in some talent.
Grapesoda2525
I'm not sure what to think of this. I probably would've liked it more if Daniels was jettisoned.
TV Casualty
AG
Definitely wasn't expecting this move.
Schall 02
AG
Love.
toucan82
tallest GM in the league?
DannyDuberstein
AG
jtstanley4621
AG
Hope they were able to get his thoughts on signing previously injured old starting pitchers
KT 90
AG
TR Sullivan Q&A on the IKF to SS move. Pretty similar to what the posters here already came up with:

Can you explain the decision to move Isiah Kiner-Falefa to short? He just won a Gold Glove Award at third base and was hitting well most of the year. It seems like the organization isn't expecting Josh Jung to be ready for the Majors in 2021, so what's the rush to make Kiner-Falefa change positions yet again?
-- Jacob H. Austin, Texas

Kiner-Falefa is the Rangers' best defensive infielder and ideally you want that player to be at shortstop. Kiner-Falefa's bat is getting better but long-term you would prefer the third baseman to swing with significant power in the middle of the order.
So, if Kiner-Falefa shows the same defense at shortstop that he did at third and the bat keeps getting better, the Rangers are set at the position for several years. Hopefully at some point Jung, Davis Wendzel or Sherten Apostel will be ready to line up next to him at third base.

If Kiner-Falefa isn't the answer, the Rangers still have Elvis Andrus for two more years, and they could plunge into next winter's deep free-agent class of shortstops which potentially includes Francisco Lindor, Corey Seager, Carlos Correa, Javier Bez, Trevor Story and Miguel Rojas.
Are there any recent non-tenders that the Rangers might have interest in?
-- Tony A., Dallas

Travis Shaw should be on the Rangers. He is a front-line third baseman who could start there and move to other spots once Jung is ready. Maikel Franco is another proven third baseman. Right now, they may rank as two of the best free-agent third basemen on the market.
There is also former Rangers infielder Hanser Alberto, who was non-tendered by the Orioles. He could also fill in at third base until Jung, Wendzel and Apostel are ready.
There are some intriguing outfielders who became available, including Eddie Rosario, Adam Duvall and David Dahl. All could be options in left field for a Texas club that needs more offense. Then there is Kyle Schwarber, who has a chance to be an impact bat at designated hitter in the American League. There are players on that list who will help contending teams this year.

Schall 02
AG
Like the upside of Dahl. And I think he's a local kid.
AgBQ-00
AG
Introduction presser now.

Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
xjrayx
AG

So, ummm this just happened.
xjrayx
AG
xjrayx said:

So, ummm this just happened.

La Fours
AG
Who... and, is that it?
jtstanley4621
AG
Honestly if Lynn pitched anything but lights out for us next season his trade value probably goes down and since JD already ****ed it up by not trading him just get what you can for him now. We need prospects badly
xjrayx
AG
Apparently he is their #5 prospect (SP). Also we are supposed to be getting another prospect, but no one knows who yet.
toucan82
Chris Young making moves
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Just read that Dunning was 2-0 with a 3.97 ERA last season with the big club. Not a bad trade to be honest. I think I would have rather gotten a bat for our new ballpark but we need arms too.
Grapesoda2525
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

Just read that Dunning was 2-0 with a 3.97 ERA last season with the big club. Not a bad trade to be honest. I think I would have rather gotten a bat for our new ballpark but we need arms too.
We need fly ball pitchers and hitters who are good at getting on base in this ball park.

No more of that Jeff banister style home run hero ball crap.
Grapesoda2525
From a Jeff Wilson article :

Quote:

But the overriding sense here from Tuesday's news drop is that the wrong player lost his job. Rougned Odor has been told (again) that he must win the job at second base, with Nick Solak his main competition, but Odor wasn't pushed aside as Andrus was.

That might mean more about the Rangers' stockpile of second baseman than it means Odor has compromising photos of Jon Daniels.

The Rangers still aren't sure if Solak's defense will be reliable enough to handle second base over a full season. If the Rangers aren't convinced that Solak is a better defender than Odor, who's not exactly Bill Mazeroski out there, then that's problem.

Daniels said that Justin Foscue, the 2020 first-rounder from Mississippi State, likely won't make his MLB debut in 2021. Considering Foscue has yet to play as a professional, well, that makes sense.

But there is a growing caucus in the organization that believes Foscue will be a star. When Baseball America, MLB Pipeline and the sort reveal their organizational prospect rankings a year from now, Foscue could be the Rangers' No. 1
The rangers really should spare us all from watching another 150 games of odor this year and next year. The guy isn't going to turn it around.
wbt5845
AG
Dane Dunning is a good young prospect. RH SP - 1st round draft choice of the Nationals in 2016 out of Florida. Throws hard - kinda wild too.

I never heard of the second guy.

Tastybrisket10
AG
Closes the book on a real solid deal. A bargain for Lynn given his performance and a solid young starter to backfill. JD doesn't get credit when it's due, this one was a good one and CY gets the assist for writing the ending.
investorAg83
AG
La Fours said:

Who... and, is that it?

Dunning is a stud if he's able to recover fully from Tommy John. Hoped it was him when they announced the deal with the Sox.
WestTexasAg
AG
On the surface, seems like a good trade for the Rangers. Time will tell.

As for IKF, my guess is the thinking is traditionally your 3rd baseman provides a lot more power than what IKF provides. His offensive numbers fit more for SS or 2B. Will be interesting to see how he does. I also think Solak has a bright future. Question is will it be at 2B or in the outfield.
IronAg45
AG
xjrayx said:

Apparently he is their #5 prospect (SP). Also we are supposed to be getting another prospect, but no one knows who yet.

The other prospect is Avery Weems. Seems like a potentially decent lefty BP arm.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/white-sox-trade-for-lance-lynn-send-rangers-2-pitching-prospects/
wbt5845
AG
The Athletic is reporting LL and his agent told the Rangers last season he would sit out if they did a deadline trade to someplace he didn't want to play this coming year.

So when we were all beating up JD for not doing something, we shoulda been beating up LL.

This trade looks really good. This dude has averaged 1 K per inning at every level he's played. His K/BB ratio is 4. I like a lot.
Proposition Joe
Yeah, looks like no one really to blame here just bad luck for the Rangers. Lynn used the leverage he had, and Texas was stuck in a unique situation since their player basically had what amounted to a no-trade clause even though they didn't give it to him.
KT 90
AG
WTH. I'm kind of scratching my head here thinking Lynn isn't exactly a young pitcher anymore, I doubt he is seriously going to give up millions (even though it was a cheap contract for a mlb pitcher... it's still "millions") in his prime earning years just to dictate a trade location. But maybe so.

Does that mean he liked it in Arlington enough that he didn't want to leave? lol, I'll have to read up on what the beats are saying later when I have time.

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Dunning the #5 and Weems #10 prospects in in the CWS farm system. not too shabby i'd say:

Goes on to say Dunning would probably rank around the #3 prospect in the Rangers system
jtstanley4621
AG
While I am in NO way trying to clear a spot for Odor in the lineup, why couldn't Solak play LF? Have him and Calhoun alternate between that and DH. Then have Taveras in center and Gallo in right.
Proposition Joe
KT 90 said:

WTH. I'm kind of scratching my head here thinking Lynn isn't exactly a young pitcher anymore, I doubt he is seriously going to give up millions (even though it was a cheap contract for a mlb pitcher... it's still "millions") in his prime earning years just to dictate a trade location. But maybe so.

Does that mean he liked it in Arlington enough that he didn't want to leave? lol, I'll have to read up on what the beats are saying later when I have time.

He probably wouldn't have - but what team was going to potentially waste top prospects calling his bluff?
investorAg83
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Dunning the #5 and Weems #10 prospects in in the CWS farm system. not too shabby i'd say:

Goes on to say Dunning would probably rank around the #3 prospect in the Rangers system

That is a ridiculous top 10...wonder where their farm system ranks as a whole.

Edit to add that they're 11th in one ranking but have 4 of the top 40. The top are very good and make no mistake...Dunning is one of their best.
CampingAg
AG
Dunning was drafted 29th overall. At 30 we took Cole Ragans who hasn't seen the mound since 2017, has had two Tommy John surgeries, and is Rule V eligible now.

Hopefully Chris Young will end this fascination we have with high school pitchers in early rounds.
Grapesoda2525
CampingAg said:

Dunning was drafted 29th overall. At 30 we took Cole Ragans who hasn't seen the mound since 2017, has had two Tommy John surgeries, and is Rule V eligible now.

Hopefully Chris Young will end this fascination we have with high school pitchers in early rounds.
Kip ***g has been the only constant in the draft room throughout all of our failures

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.