***** Official Rangers Off-Season Thread *****

63,399 Views | 714 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IronAg45
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Rule 5 draft is Thursday, see link below for the eligible players. Rangers pick second, so if we are interested in someone only the Pirates are in front of us:

https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-2020-preview

fc2112
Round Rock to be AAA affiliate again.

https://www.kxan.com/sports/together-again-round-rock-express-texas-rangers-renew-class-aaa-affiliation-ahead-of-2021-season/amp/
Seven Costanza
AG
Just in case you were interested in seeing Dane Dunning throw

DeangeloVickers
AG
fc2112 said:

Round Rock to be AAA affiliate again.

https://www.kxan.com/sports/together-again-round-rock-express-texas-rangers-renew-class-aaa-affiliation-ahead-of-2021-season/amp/

Badass
KT 90
AG

wbt5845
AG
KT 90 said:

CBS had him at 3 in this class. Their write up:

As a general rule of thumb, there are worse ideas for rebuilding teams to embrace than picking up players deemed to be expendable by the league's most talented clubs. The Dodgers, for their part, have an embarrassment of riches, meaning that someone with big-league potential was going to be left exposed. To wit, de Geus is an interesting relief prospect whose velocity has improved since he moved to the bullpen on a permanent basis. In addition to the heat, he has a pair of usable secondary pitches, in a cutter and a curveball, and he issued just 13 walks over 60-plus frames split between two levels in 2019. De Geus hasn't yet pitched above High-A, but he seems certain to get plucked. He has a fair chance of sticking, too.
wbt5845
AG
Rangers trade for Nate Lowe from Rays. 1B/DH. Looking at this roster, I don't see a back up 1B / DH. Guess this is him
Grapesoda2525
wbt5845 said:

Rangers trade for Nate Lowe from Rays. 1B/DH. Looking at this roster, I don't see a back up 1B / DH. Guess this is him
Rays prospects are usually good. Look at solak.
Mr Gigem
AG
Army vs Air Force football game at Globe Life Field next season
Grapesoda2525
Grapesoda2525

Rangers must really like this kid. JD seems to be trying to take advantage of the rays surplus of talent by taking their guys who are blocked but still very talented for some pretty talented lower level guys. The trade could hurt us later, but in the short term we might have found 2 starters this way in both Lowe and Solak.

Kyle98
AG
Mr Gigem said:

Where did you see that?
Mr Gigem
AG
Kyle98 said:

Mr Gigem said:

Where did you see that?

I just know things
dvldog
AG
Reminder: Mr Gigem used to be AccidentProne, our friendly resident Ranger employee.
dave94
AG
dvldog said:

Reminder: Mr Gigem used to be AccidentProne, our friendly resident Ranger employee.
Kyle98
AG
dvldog said:

Thanks, I must have missed that!
wbt5845
AG
Kyle98 said:

dvldog said:

Thanks, I must have missed that!
It's OK - I know him IRL and I'd forgotten that too.
Mr Gigem
AG
Just gotta keep y'all on your toes
KT 90
AG

wbt5845
AG
KT 90 said:

gigem1223
I like it. Other than last season, Dahl has been a pretty dang good player. Hopefully he bounces back in 2021.
Grapesoda2525
Are we loading up too many lefties again?

Both of these recently acquired hitters are lefties?

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Does it really matter? This team isn't competing next season and probably not the season after that.
KT 90
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

Choo is gone and Guzman will be gone soon as well, so call it a wash.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Thank goodness the Choo era is over. Often injured, .250 hitting, lucky to barely hit 20 HR, strike out a ton while not being much if a power threat. That 7 year deal felt like 17 years
wbt5845
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

Thank goodness the Choo era is over. Often injured, .250 hitting, lucky to barely hit 20 HR, strike out a ton while not being much if a power threat. That 7 year deal felt like 17 years
Only offset by the fact Choo was a damned good guy, great clubhouse presence and stellar supporter of charities throughout the community.

As opposed to some other low performers.

Remember, Choo was the guy who gave $1000 to every minor leaguer in the Rangers system when their season was cancelled.

Tastybrisket10
AG
Choo was a great Ranger and had some solid OBP years. He should have been used as a DH but he was a solid player. Overpaid but still a solid addition.
Danny Vermin
Ill add that I hope they find a place in the organization for him if he wants to be in baseball. Can't have enough class around.
Grapesoda2525
KT 90 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Choo is gone and Guzman will be gone soon as well, so call it a wash.
We need to cross our fingers that Solak can competently defend second base. If he does, rangers baseball will be more enjoyable to watch for the next few years without having to see Odor all of the time.
DallasAg 94
KT 90
AG
Long time Ranger fan and Spring Training visitor Charlie Pride died today. RIP Charlie.

wbt5845
AG
Well, more than a fan - he was still a minority owner. RIP. Great man who I had the pleasure of having a beer with a few times over the years.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It's been abundantly clear that nobody was going to replace Odor before this season. They were trying their best to force it to work and they've finally given up. If you think anybody was given a fair shake to take playing time from Odor I've got a bridge to sell you.
KT 90
AG

Quote:

Well, more than a fan - he was still a minority owner

Did not realize that part.
Grapesoda2525
DallasAg 94 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Rangers must really like this kid. JD seems to be trying to take advantage of the rays surplus of talent by taking their guys who are blocked but still very talented for some pretty talented lower level guys. The trade could hurt us later, but in the short term we might have found 2 starters this way in both Lowe and Solak.

You crack me up.

Tampa makes a killing off people like JD. It is why they are constantly competitive, without spending a ton on FAs.

Lowe is 9 months younger than Guzman.

Lowe: 71 G, .251, 11 HRs, .322 OBP
Guzman: 236 G, .230 BA, 30 HRs, .308 OBP.

Tampa just got 3 teenagers who hit over .300 in rookie ball in 2019, and had a cup of coffe in A- ball.

The guy they gave up was behind a player that is team controlled for 3 more years. If Tampa thought Lowe was better, they'd have given us Choi.

We traded Fairbanks (who was a solid RP in 2020) for Solak. A guy who was not good enough to make their team.

Solak will NEVER be good enough to take 2B. I've said this since we got him. If he were good enough, he'd have already replaced Odor. He isn't. He won't be. He is "just a guy" that would have been Rule V and Tampa dumped him for a solid RP, before losing him.

That's what good teams do.

Now, Tampa will continue to take their "not good enough" player and parlay them into young high ceiling players. They'll likely get 3-4 MIFs, 6-7 OFs, bunches of pitchers.

Then, in 3 years, the best of those players will be their star starters and the backups will get traded to teams like the Rangers as "high-ceiling, under-performing" prospects that need a change of scenery right before they become Rule V eligible. In return, they'll get highly regarded players that will plug into holes on the ML team... or traded for low-level prospects.

Rinse.
Repeat.

What do you expect me to do? Be pessimistic all of the time?

This guy was blocked and he might pan out here. The rangers had a surplus of good bullpen pieces and could do without Fairbanks.

I don't hate either the solak trade or the lowe trade.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.