***** Official Rangers Off-Season Thread *****

63,386 Views | 714 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by IronAg45
KT 90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
_lefraud_ said:

So the Rangers will sign Arrieta, Archer and Kluber. Hoping one of them turns into something to flip at the deadline.

But at least they have a shiny new stadium!

Arrieta is actually a decent possibility I would think. He went to high school and college in Texas, plus I believe he lives in Texas during the off-season (want to say in the Austin area).

You could put Mike Minor on the list too. He didn't have a great year and would likely come pretty cheap.

IronAg45
AG
With Hinch getting hired and now Cora, should we look at replacing JD with Luhnow?
Quincey P. Morris
AG
_lefraud_ said:

So the Rangers will sign Arrieta, Archer and Kluber. Hoping one of them turns into something to flip at the deadline.

But at least they have a shiny new stadium!

Even if they turn into something to flip, Daniels will refuse to come off a high price and keep them. I have zero faith in his ability to actually pull off a solid sign and flip.
La Fours
AG
I have zero faith in JD, period. I wish they would have kept Preller and gotten rid of JD. I admit that is my hindsight talking and all. But JD's track record since then isn't exactly producing good results.
KT 90
AG
This sounds like great news.... the owners will never open the books to prove how much money they truely lost in 2020.

[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/latest-from-tony-clark-on-mlbpa-mlb-negotiations.html][/url]MLBPA head Tony Clark 'optimistic' negotiations with MLB will be amicable
[url=https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/11/latest-from-tony-clark-on-mlbpa-mlb-negotiations.html][/url]
Originally posted on MLB Trade Rumors | By TC Zencka | Last updated 11/7/20

Despite the antagonistic tone of the negotiations that spilled so frequently into the public square last winter, the MLBPA is hopeful that the sequel this winter will strike a more amicable (and private) tone, per The Athletic's Evan Drellich.
At the same time, Drellich provides interesting comments from executive director of the MLBPA Tony Clark, who spoke harshly of last winter's mediation:

Quote:

"In essence, going back to March, what manifested itself thereafter, we view largely as a lockout. There are lines that can be drawn between what happened this year and what may have happened historically. But I continue to remain optimistic that as a result of that experience, we have an opportunity and take advantage of the opportunity, to work through our respective disagreements to the benefit of the game moving forward."

It's unclear what to glean from Clark's retroactively labeling the coronavirus shutdown as a work stoppage, but if nothing else, his point highlights the severity of those negotiations. It also puts in no uncertain terms the length the players are willing to go in order to have their needs met.

Clark spoke about being open to any conversation this winter, broadly speaking, but he also made a point to note the MLBPA's general skepticism about the financial numbers being put forth by MLB in regard to their operating losses from 2020. The owners' use of the word "debt," for example, Clark explains as an evocation that misconstrues the true function of debt for businesses the size of MLB.
Issues like the universal designated hitter and extra-innings rules appear on the back-burner priority-wise for the MLBPA. One might expect a less steadfast approach from players in those areas. The MLBPA won't be as flexible on issues of player pay. Players expect a battle in securing a full 162-game season in 2021, especially if fan attendance remains a non-guarantee. The owners will want the players to take some part in the financial risk of putting on a season when fans might not be allowed to attend, but the players don't appear willing to bear that burden unless provided with more substantive proof of the operating losses suffered by MLB and the owners.
Until some of the numbers being put forth by MLB can be verified in some form or fashion, the owners' financial concerns are likely to fall on deaf ears. MLB has been hesitant to provide more detailed financials to the players, however. This saga is likely to continue well into the winter, much as it did prior to the truncated 2020 season.
WestTexasAg
AG
South Platte said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Every org is going to take a hit developmentally, this year.

Let's look what the Rangers have found out this season... starting with the position players.
C: Trevino (27-MLB), 24G, .250, 2 HR <- Still a serf
C: Sam Huff (22-MLB), 10 G, .355, 3 HR, .394 OBP

3B: IKF (25-MLB) - Control through 2024. GG finalist
SS: Anderson Tejeda (22-MLB), 23G, .253, 3HR, 4 SB, .273 OBP

CF: Leody Taveras (22-MLB), 33G, .227, 4HR, 8SB

I think we have 4 solid players to build on for 2022+

Others:
3B: Josh Jung (22-AA) - Expected 2021
1B: Sherten Apostel (21-MLB), 7G, .100 <- Not ready

2B is still a hole. Take Odor out of the picture and we don't have a replacement. We just don't.

I think we can have a solid positional roster for 2022, with young controllable players.

Control of average guys entering their "prime"
1B Guzman (26) through 2024
OF Calhoun(26) through 2024
DH Solak (26) through 2025

Trade bait: Gallo (GG Finalist), Andrus, Odor, and Lynn. The problem is... we have little idea what other team's farm has done this year. ;( So, it isn't like we really have a great idea of what we can trade for.
This is great analysis and all, and we appreciate you breaking this down. But we could clean this thing up really quick if we just fired JD and hire Jeff Luhnow. Hinch is about to sign with Detroit. Hire some woman as Director of Diversity to make sure he doesn't support Taubman behavior, and we'll be back in the playoffs by 2023.

Good analysis, but I'm gonna disagree on the no options at 2B comment. I think Nick Solak's offensive numbers project pretty well as a second baseman.

(Reply meant for Dallas Ag 94). Where did the original post go??
DallasAg 94
WestTexasAg
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

WestTexasAg said:

South Platte said:

This is great analysis and all, and we appreciate you breaking this down. But we could clean this thing up really quick if we just fired JD and hire Jeff Luhnow. Hinch is about to sign with Detroit. Hire some woman as Director of Diversity to make sure he doesn't support Taubman behavior, and we'll be back in the playoffs by 2023.

Good analysis, but I'm gonna disagree on the no options at 2B comment. I think Nick Solak's offensive numbers project pretty well as a second baseman.

(Reply meant for Dallas Ag 94). Where did the original post go??
I just think if Solak was a viable defensive 2B, he'd have already solidified the role.

I think in limited fashion, he is serviceable... but I don't think you want him there all season.

The original post went the same place all of my posts go.
Oh, I think he is plenty good to solidify that role. Problem this year is they have too much invested in Odor. Wanted to give him every chance to keep the job. He wasn't good enough. I predict Odor gets traded, and Solak is your new 2nd baseman. I think he has a chance to be a good one.
DallasAg 94
Squirrel Master
AG
I think its more likely that Andrus is your second basemen going forward than Solak. Agree that Solak can't play the position on a daily basis.
Mr Gigem
AG
LSCSN said:

at minimum, the Rangers would allow 11.5K per game next year, right? I think the reduced crowd was a success in terms of "mass gatherings".
We are currently budgeting for 100% attendance and all 83 homes games.
Mr Gigem
AG
With the recent news of the alleged success of the Covid vaccine, I have it on good authority Rangers ownership, along with the Governor, will do everything in their power to open everything back up.
Mr Gigem
AG
We've seen a wave of positive momentum in the ticket sales department recently. New full and half season sales are up a lot. 20 Game plans are going on sale on the 11th. I'll also have the discount code active around late Feb/early March

Mr Gigem
AG
Pardon the absence and the name change!

I've had a bit of change in focus personally and professionally. But I am back and thriving!
TXAggie2011
AG
Mr Gigem said:

With the recent news of the alleged success of the Covid vaccine, I have it on good authority Rangers ownership, along with the Governor, will do everything in their power to open everything back up.
I of course hope by April there is wide enough distribution of a vaccine that sports teams can fill their stadiums, but I sure hope the Rangers do develop some contingency plans--at least for the start of the season--even if they think they're unlikely to use them.
Mr Gigem
AG
I'm sure that's in the works. As of now, we have to operate as if everything will be normal, but we will be much more prepared this time around if something were to change.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
Still in the same role
alvtimes
Mr Gigem said:

Pardon the absence and the name change!

I've had a bit of change in focus personally and professionally. But I am back and thriving!

Ha I thought these post had an unusual amount of good info but the name was wrong!!!!
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

What did you say? Quit deleting your posts
DallasAg 94
Proposition Joe
Lies. He said you were the Roughned Odor of this forum.
DallasAg 94
Mr Gigem
AG
My advice would be to stay off F16. I ventured over there to follow the election and I wanted to rip my eyes out
jtstanley4621
AG
Yeah Texags politics board is basically the internet equivalent of the place Mufasa tells Simba not to go in the Lion King
KT 90
AG
F16 is best consumed in short spurts, and not more than once or twice a day.
PatAg
AG
Don't type that anymore, 3 mentions in one will summon them like Beetlejuice
IronAg45
AG
With the astros moving their AAA affiliation to sugarland, what's the likelihood of the Rangers returning to the Round Rock Express?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mlb.com/amp/news/astros-sugar-land-skeeters-agreement.html
Tastybrisket10
AG
I wouldn't be surprised if you see more teams doing similar regional minor league alignment and purchasing of clubs. I don't think it's coincidence almost all of the minor league teams in Utah, Idaho, Montana are on the list for contraction. I don't see Nashville as part of the Texas system for long especially since they are attempting an MLB bid.
KT 90
AG

KT 90
AG

AgBQ-00
AG
Just got email that 20 game plans on sale. How likely is it we will be able to actually go to games?
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Mr Gigem
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

Just got email that 20 game plans on sale. How likely is it we will be able to actually go to games?
We are planning for 100%, but I would bank on no less than 50% capacity, with season ticket holders having priority to get tickets.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.