*****UnOfficial Texas Rangers Post-2018 Off-Season Thread****

79,904 Views | 719 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fuzzy Dunlop
_lefraud_
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It's the same reaction if Kyle Field went to something synthetic in place of real grass.

The game of baseball should be played on grass and dirt. End of discussion.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
I honestly just have so many negative thoughts about this new stadium that it's starting to turn me off as a fan. Looks like the odds of me staying in Texas past graduation are pretty slim, and my childhood baseball memories are being bulldozed for some glitzy multi-purpose entertainment venue trying to compete with Jerry World. I get pretty sentimental about baseball, some of my favorite memories as a kid were going to games in 110 degree heat with my dad to watch the Rangers. We sucked, I burned, and probably drank $100 worth of water but it was always fun.

I know complaining about turf sounds pretty stupid, and I have no doubt turf has improved enough to make it comparable to grass, but at what point do you start taking away from the fan experience? It sounds so stupid but seeing that beautiful manicured field is PART of baseball. It adds to the experience and the memory of going to the ballpark along with all the smells, foods, and sounds. Maybe I'm just a 60 year old man trapped in a college super-senior body, but it's gonna be a sad day when the Rangers play their last game at TBPiA.
BarryProfit
AccidentProne said:

I've said it before, this will not be like anything ever seen before. Based off of years of research, this turf is supposed to play exactly like natural grass, if not better.

Old Tom Morris
I'm willing to withhold judgment on the rest of the building until I actually see it in person. I think the knock-off talk, JerryWorld comparisons, and panic there is premature. I just think baseball is meant to be played on grass, especially when you are located in part of the country that should have no trouble growing it. I know growing it inside poses somewhat of a challenge, but between how you handle stadium orientation, windows, etc, it seems like it should be overcome.

Mr Gigem
AG
I admittedly no nothing about agriculture or growing grass. What I do know is the playing surface will be 70 feet below ground level, and I know they had to remove tons of clay in the excavation (they even found an old house and a car). How well does grass grow at that level, and if the roof is projected to be closed more times than not?

As a side note, sunlight will still be able to get in despite the roof being closed
Doug Glatt
AG
The 70 feet below is the key part here, they made decision to go plastic as soon as the stadium plans were finalized.
Old Tom Morris
Quote:

and if the roof is projected to be closed more times than not?
This is definitely causing heartburn. I really don't think the heat is an issue for night games, even at the peak worst July/August heat. Worst case, there's maybe a few weeks of the season it should be closed at night. And then some of the Thursday/Sunday getaway day games in that hot summer time-frame. But if they've elected to build an underground enclosed box, then they created their own heat and playing surface issue which to me is a flaw from the beginning.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Again for comparison, in 2017 Houston didn't have a single open roof game between June 9 and a World Series game on October 26th...and then only because MLB ordered them to open it. I realize Houston nights and Arlington nights are different, but it's not totally off-base to make the comparison.
Quote:

The Houston Astros have not played a game with Minute Maid Park's retractable roof open since June 9. They want that to remain the case through Games 3, 4 and 5 of the World Series this weekend against the Dodgers, the last games of the year to be played in the stadium.
Old Tom Morris
How far underground is the current ballpark playing surface? You walk in at the top of the first level, so maybe 30-40 feet? It's certainly not ground level.
double aught
AG
Doug Glatt said:

The 70 feet below is the key part here, they made decision to go plastic as soon as the stadium plans were finalized.
If that's true, then it's poor stadium design. One of the very first factors should've been "Can we grow grass in here?"
powerbelly
AG
double aught said:

Doug Glatt said:

If that's true, then it's poor stadium design. One of the very first factors should've been "Can we grow grass in here?"
They never wanted grass. There was zero thought put into growing grass because they never were going to try.
BCSWguru
when do single game tickets go on sale?
Mr Gigem
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

How far underground is the current ballpark playing surface? You walk in at the top of the first level, so maybe 30-40 feet? It's certainly not ground level.

I believe GLP is 40-50 feet below
Mr Gigem
AG
LSCSN said:

when do single game tickets go on sale?

March 1
BCSWguru
Thank you. And thanks for posting the texags code. Cant wait for that 2-game Pirates series.
Doug Glatt
AG
Bingo.

Houston had plenty of issues themselves before getting away from bermuda and implementing special grow light equipment.

It would have been a huge challenge to have gone grass in the new place, and being in the biz I would have loved to have seen it done, but its clear they want a place available for events year round
KT 90
AG
AccidentProne said:

I have to remove myself from this conversation. It's apparent that too many of y'all are ready to make snap judgments and not even willing to consider giving this thing a chance. FYI, they are rolling on this same turf in Arizona this season. It will be a great litmus test to see how it performs, and then make any changes necessary before installing it in Globe Life Field.

I've said it before, this will not be like anything ever seen before. Based off of years of research, this turf is supposed to play exactly like natural grass, if not better.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

The coupon code for discount tickets this year will be texags19, so feel free to save that. If you have questions regarding tickets, PM me.

Thanks for posting the code again. And yes, at least Arizona is the ginny pig with the new turf this season. But even if it doesn't go well, at this point I don't see them somehow shifting gears and going to grass. Put me in the "likes the smell of fresh cut grass" category. But willing to give it a shot (as if we have a choice ).

AgBQ-00
AG
Like I said yesterday. I am saddened and disappointed that this was the route they took. I can understand it from a business perspective. The baseball playing little kid in me though sees it as something less than what it could be. But as with all things Rangers, once the first call to PLAY BALL!! is shouted I will be happy to watch the game I love.
agent-maroon
AG
Became a Rangers fan when they played in the old Arlington stadium. Remembered how excited I was for them to be moving into a serious ballpark that didn't have a minor league vibe to it. BPIA was a great place for everyone but the pitchers and was excited that they wouldn't have the heat to put them off in the new stadium with A/C. Now it feels like we might be able to attract more quality pitching with the A/C but we're going to put off all of our position players with artificial turf. All because they want to monetize the field as a year round venue.

Is it really too much to ask for a MLB field to be optimized for baseball?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Front Range Ag
AG
I've heard the year round venue stuff, but maybe I don't understand. I realize Texas Live is this entertainment depot that they've come up with, but wouldn't all the concerts and football games and whatever else that came along be held a few hundred yards to the west?

Maybe that's what I don't get. Are AT&T stadium and Globe Life going to competitively bid over hosting these things and the Rangers feel like they have an advantage?

It would be one thing if Globe Life and Texas Live were the only spot within a large radius where events could be held. But, AT&T is casting a shadow over them and then there's all the other concert halls, convention centers, etc. in the metroplex.
Mr. White
What's everyone taking from the Ballpark on their last trip there? I call Chuck Morgan's mustache.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Anything left for the Rangers to do? I think they'll sign 3-4 FA SPs to 1 year deals, where they will have a shot to make the rotation, get traded or get cut. 1 or 2 might even take a minor-league deal with a clause that allows them to be unconditionally released 4-6 weeks into the season, if they request.
1. Shelby Miller
2. Next Up?
2. Jason Hammel
TXAggie2011
AG
It would have been real simple for the Rangers to make "growing grass" a key consideration of the design.

They've been able to build domes all over the world in which they're able to grow grass inside. They could have done it in Arlington.
TXAggie2011
AG
And I'm not someone to normally get annoyed about the playing surface but after getting the taxpayers to pony up hundreds of millions to let them out of a lease early and build a new stadium....

.....in which they lowered capacity (which I assume will help inflate ticket prices).....

.....it's damn annoying.
DallasAg 94
Doorbell said:

I've heard the year round venue stuff, but maybe I don't understand. I realize Texas Live is this entertainment depot that they've come up with, but wouldn't all the concerts and football games and whatever else that came along be held a few hundred yards to the west?

Maybe that's what I don't get. Are AT&T stadium and Globe Life going to competitively bid over hosting these things and the Rangers feel like they have an advantage?

It would be one thing if Globe Life and Texas Live were the only spot within a large radius where events could be held. But, AT&T is casting a shadow over them and then there's all the other concert halls, convention centers, etc. in the metroplex.
Different entertainment has different venue size and feel. Also, I think teams use access to these additional events to push season tickets.

I have tickets to see Paul McCartney in June and Billy Joel in Oct at GLP. The risk is weather. I think they chose GLP because the venue is more intimate than AT&T, AAC and I'm suspecting since both rely on the piano and music, the open air venue provides better acoustics. Also, I think they both appeal to more of a mid-cities crowd. Some FW, some Dallas, mostly HEB/Grapevine types.

We saw Foo Fighters at Starplex/Dos Equis Pavillion. Capacity 20,000. The place is a dump. It was a great concert, but it rained. Drinking and the smell of ... umm... "other stuff" catered to a lower clientele. Nothing to really eat, in a dangerous place. Took us forever to park and getting out was terrible.

We have tickets to Kiss at AAC. Capacity is 20K for sports. I'm guessing 27K for concerts?! Probably too small for AT&T, outdoors is probably too much of a risk. Typical arena, IMO, is about right. A ton will be made with food/beverages, etc. Because of the Mavs and Stars, it is hard to schedule things there.

U2 filled AT&T. 100K+? They'd likely fill a 200K stadium. Big acts perform there, but it is neither cost effective, not intimate for smaller acts. Under 60k tickets, IMO, it gets dicey.

We are going to America in Grand Prarie. It looks like they aren't opening the whole place. Seats 6,350 people, so I'm guessing maybe 4K? That place has a bunch of kids type shows. We saw... "The Backyardigans" there a decade or so, ago.

My son went to see Seinfeld in Oklahoma... maybe WinStar (3,500 seats). I think the Okie places have a thing in their contract that entertainers who play, sign a commitment to not perform within a certain distance for a period of time. It basically prevents them from playing in DFW. I think they are more like Verizon Theater in GP.

At 30K to 70K, enclosed, with nice concessions... I think you'll likely see 5-10 events in the off-season. Figure 50K X $50/txt, $2.5M per show. The lure of that will also drive tenants to your Texas Live! fooderies.

There are plenty of places, but each is a bit different.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I'm a little confused by this too and curious to see how many concerts actually get held there. Texas Live holds 5k, Verizon down the road holds about 7k, AAC holds 20k, Starplex/Dos Equis holds 20k, JerryWorld can do 80k, So I guess it fits a 40k-ish sweet spot, but it seems like anything that big has just been going to Jerry World. So I don't see much incremental benefit to the Arlington taxpayer. It seems like it will mostly compete with Jerry to land the biggest concerts, and Jerry has the advantage of double the capacity. I guess maybe it may pull some events that would have otherwise been in AAC.
TXAggie2011
AG
Baseball stadiums are not great layouts for concerts. Been there done that.

I'd prefer to go to a concert that fills up 45,000 seats in the lower bowl at Cowboys Stadium than go watch at a baseball park.
TXAggie2011
AG
"Incremental" is the correct way of looking at.

What acts will be coming to Arlington now that weren't coming before?

The new stadium may get some concerts, I'm sure it will. Not sure who will be coming that wasn't coming before to AT&T (or College Park Center at UTA.)
DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, the other factor with a baseball stadium is that by and large, these big concerts that may sell 40K tickets have staging that tends to be designed for football stadium layouts vs. baseball. Not that they can't be shoe-horned in, but in many cases, it's gonna be a lot less optimal than just gong across the street to JerryWorld. There's the main stage that's usually built to fit the width of a football stadium, and then oftentimes small secondary stages that are designed to take advantage of some of the rest of a football field. Between accommodating the stage(s) as well as on-field seating, can get a little awkward.
DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein said:

Yeah, the other factor with a baseball stadium is that by and large, these big concerts that may sell 40K tickets have staging that tends to be designed for football stadium layouts vs. baseball. Not that they can't be shoe-horned in, but in many cases, it's gonna be a lot less optimal than just gong across the street to JerryWorld. There's the main stage that's usually built to fit the width of a football stadium, and then oftentimes small secondary stages that are designed to take advantage of some of the rest of a football field. Between accommodating the stage(s) as well as on-field seating, can get a little awkward.
The way Globe Life is setup for the 2 I'm going to, is the stage is in the Outfield. Floor seats on the ground. It is laid out pretty nicely. Our seats are in the 12-14 section area. When I saw McCartney previously, he played the piano from the right-hand side (POV looking at stage), so we'll have full facial view. I got to see him in a private concert in Vegas. He put on a great show.

For Kiss, our seats would be the equivalent of Sec 6, but of course in the AAC. They are close, but I'm concerned about the side angle.

Back a few decades, and the Rangers had that outside amphitheater. Went to EdgeFest there, so I can see the new park replacing Starplex. Although I almost got tickets to a few other concerts there recently and it looked like 50% filled a week before the concert (weather).

I'll let you know how the acoustics sound.

DallasAg 94
AccidentProne said:

I admittedly no nothing about agriculture or growing grass. What I do know is the playing surface will be 70 feet below ground level, and I know they had to remove tons of clay in the excavation (they even found an old house and a car). How well does grass grow at that level, and if the roof is projected to be closed more times than not?

As a side note, sunlight will still be able to get in despite the roof being closed
There is lots of clay in North Texas. It is also expensive to excavate, which is one reason you have so few basements in North Texas.

I think grass can grow, especially if you condition the soil. We have had heavy clay soil, and mixing in some sand and organic material, should be fine. Keep in mind the depth is the key. We moved 6 miles and our soil went from a mostly clay loam to an almost pure limestone, just based on elevation. Texas used to be underwater, so it is an interesting study in soils. I've done a little, but not extensive.

Back to your point... I used to know, but there is a "frost-line" and depth issue. Neil Sperry has done a gardening show on Saturday mornings for as long as I have listened to radio. I'll try to recall some recent comments.

Last year, I think I heard him talk about Bermuda. Someone was asking about fertilizing. I think he said specifically for Bermuda, the soil has to reach a temperature in the mid-70s (at a depth of 9") for the grass to signal Spring. He said don't expect the grass to fully come back until May, as Texas often has cold temperatures well into March.

So, if you put a stadium down 70' (21Meters), the question becomes how does the soil heat and what can you do initiate it. Because the surface is open, I would suspect it would be no different than a valley in a rolling hill pasture, no different than most of Wise and Parker county. However, because you'd have all of the building and parking structures surrounding the field, the soil underneath those structures would remain cold and the areas along the foul lines and warning track would be difficult to grow.

This graph shows the ambient temperature to be just under 20C (68F), so maybe it wouldn't be that difficult. With a controlled stadium closed during the winter, who knows... maybe it might be even more effective in bringing the grass back to life.

sburg2007
AccidentProne said:

So I've just been lurking over this topic. I have known this decision was coming for about a year as in I saw the shade studies. The organization never wanted grass because it would simply cost too much to host other events during the course of the season.

The fact it sits below ground has no bearing on sunlight because the height of the stands is no different than if it was at ground level. It's all about angles. Technology in varieties and science has grown leaps and bounds in the last decade. Look to europe's Soccer teams. Their stadiums are terrible for growing grass and do it. Look at FC DALLAS. Horrible shade and make it work. The ability to grow was not accounted for. Not one interview was done with the groundskeeper. If Evan grant wanted all sides, he would've talked to him. Why not? The organization told him not to talk.

I don't really want to get into specifics about that, but if anyone has questions about the grass or synthetic I'll be happy to answer. I saw the new synthetic at conference last week in Arizona. Is it different? You bet! Is better than a crappy natural surface? Absolutely. Is it better than what could be grown in Globe Life Field? If given the chance to succeed, I doubt it.

As many have stated, most fans are ticked because the organization treats us like morons. This is a multi use event venue that also hosts baseball. That is fine. Just admit it.
sburg2007
DallasAg 94 said:

AccidentProne said:

There is lots of clay in North Texas. It is also expensive to excavate, which is one reason you have so few basements in North Texas.

I think grass can grow, especially if you condition the soil. We have had heavy clay soil, and mixing in some sand and organic material, should be fine. Keep in mind the depth is the key. We moved 6 miles and our soil went from a mostly clay loam to an almost pure limestone, just based on elevation. Texas used to be underwater, so it is an interesting study in soils. I've done a little, but not extensive.

Back to your point... I used to know, but there is a "frost-line" and depth issue. Neil Sperry has done a gardening show on Saturday mornings for as long as I have listened to radio. I'll try to recall some recent comments.

Last year, I think I heard him talk about Bermuda. Someone was asking about fertilizing. I think he said specifically for Bermuda, the soil has to reach a temperature in the mid-70s (at a depth of 9") for the grass to signal Spring. He said don't expect the grass to fully come back until May, as Texas often has cold temperatures well into March.

So, if you put a stadium down 70' (21Meters), the question becomes how does the soil heat and what can you do initiate it. Because the surface is open, I would suspect it would be no different than a valley in a rolling hill pasture, no different than most of Wise and Parker county. However, because you'd have all of the building and parking structures surrounding the field, the soil underneath those structures would remain cold and the areas along the foul lines and warning track would be difficult to grow.

This graph shows the ambient temperature to be just under 20C (68F), so maybe it wouldn't be that difficult. With a controlled stadium closed during the winter, who knows... maybe it might be even more effective in bringing the grass back to life.

This has pretty much nothing to do with how high end athletic fields are constructed. First, no field is built with a clay root zone. They drain well because they're constructed on sand root zones (high perc rates) on top of gravel with drainage.

Many stadiums in cooler climates (coors, Jacobs field, lambeau, sporting kc) have pipes running throughout root zones that they run heated water through. This keeps rootzone from freezing and plants roots "awake." This isn't an issue here now or in future because typically this Bermuda is overseeded with ryegrass (cool season) then transitioned in May/June. Newer varieties like the Tiftuf Bermuda going into ballpark this year are much more cold tolerant. They don't truly go dormant.
DallasAg 94
sburg2007 said:

DallasAg 94 said:

AccidentProne said:

I know they had to remove tons of clay in the excavation (they even found an old house and a car). How well does grass grow at that level, and if the roof is projected to be closed more times than not?

This graph shows the ambient temperature to be just under 20C (68F), so maybe it wouldn't be that difficult. With a controlled stadium closed during the winter, who knows... maybe it might be even more effective...

This has pretty much nothing to do with how high end athletic fields are constructed. First, no field is built with a clay root zone. They drain well because they're constructed on sand root zones (high perc rates) on top of gravel with drainage.

Many stadiums in cooler climates (coors, Jacobs field, lambeau, sporting kc) have pipes running throughout root zones that they run heated water through. This keeps rootzone from freezing and plants roots "awake." This isn't an issue here now or in future because typically this Bermuda is overseeded with ryegrass (cool season) then transitioned in May/June. Newer varieties like the Tiftuf Bermuda going into ballpark this year are much more cold tolerant. They don't truly go dormant.

True, it has little to do with most stadiums. My point was more baseline reference to the question about naturally growing grass in clay 70' down.

I don't recall having known they heat the ground, but that would be my expectation. I think I saw something on Kyle Field that included that, along with the drainage. This had to do with the new surface that was replaced during the season, when the sod was getting completely ripped up. It was a great awareness for the hybrid varieties they stadium's grow and the huge money in that industry. I 100% agree with you, if they wanted grass... they could have grass.

I agree this will be a multi function facility that just happens to have MLB as the primary anchor tennant.

Not sure what all MMP or BoB hosts, but I'd start there. Concerts... Conventions...

I know there were ideas of hosting an Olympics, so having the Opening ceremony and Track in Jerry World, Field events in GLP, Gymnastics in the new park... Swimming in AAC or a new facility.
Mr. White
sburg2007 said:

AccidentProne said:

So I've just been lurking over this topic. I have known this decision was coming for about a year as in I saw the shade studies. The organization never wanted grass because it would simply cost too much to host other events during the course of the season.

The fact it sits below ground has no bearing on sunlight because the height of the stands is no different than if it was at ground level. It's all about angles. Technology in varieties and science has grown leaps and bounds in the last decade. Look to europe's Soccer teams. Their stadiums are terrible for growing grass and do it. Look at FC DALLAS. Horrible shade and make it work. The ability to grow was not accounted for. Not one interview was done with the groundskeeper. If Evan grant wanted all sides, he would've talked to him. Why not? The organization told him not to talk.

I don't really want to get into specifics about that, but if anyone has questions about the grass or synthetic I'll be happy to answer. I saw the new synthetic at conference last week in Arizona. Is it different? You bet! Is better than a crappy natural surface? Absolutely. Is it better than what could be grown in Globe Life Field? If given the chance to succeed, I doubt it.

As many have stated, most fans are ticked because the organization treats us like morons. This is a multi use event venue that also hosts baseball. That is fine. Just admit it.

Grant is a Rangers stooge. What a condescending article he wrote regarding the turf decision.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.