*****UnOfficial Texas Rangers Post-2018 Off-Season Thread****

79,906 Views | 719 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fuzzy Dunlop
TwoTimeAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any word on if/when our University Day will be with the Rangers/A&M cap?
Mr Gigem
AG
I haven't heard anything yet. Unfortunately, A&M is actually one of the more difficult schools to work with and is usually the last one scheduled
DallasAg 94
SEC BABY!!!!
Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Rossko said:

For those of you interested in farm system deep dives...

Rangers Top 50 Prospects
It is a nice list, but I think if you put those names in a hat and draw them out and rank them... it is about as legit as anyone will publish this Spring. At least you kinda have a starting list to say, "Maybe I'll keep an eye out for him."

The problem I'm having is, 50% of the players are newly acquired via trade, 50% of the pitchers either are coming back from TJ or won't be back until mid-season, 50% of the players are retread players the Rangers have stuffed the upper levels with, non of the HS pitchers from June 2018 pitched and 50% of the players have been legit to follow in their minors.

It will likely take 2 months into the season, to truly gauge if the Rangers are on the right track, or spinning aimlessly. I think the fact none were listed as Tier 1, supports that.
I just randomly came across it so wouldn't vouch for the validity of the person writing the article but it is the only place I've seen more than a Top 30 so lists more guys to look out for.
Rossko
AG
AccidentProne said:

I know they had to remove tons of clay in the excavation (they even found an old house and a car).
Do you have any pictures of this? That's crazy a house was underground.
KT 90
AG

DallasAg 94
Rossko said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Rossko said:

For those of you interested in farm system deep dives...

Rangers Top 50 Prospects
It is a nice list, but I think if you put those names in a hat and draw them out and rank them... it is about as legit as anyone will publish this Spring. At least you kinda have a starting list to say, "Maybe I'll keep an eye out for him."

The problem I'm having is, 50% of the players are newly acquired via trade, 50% of the pitchers either are coming back from TJ or won't be back until mid-season, 50% of the players are retread players the Rangers have stuffed the upper levels with, non of the HS pitchers from June 2018 pitched and 50% of the players have been legit to follow in their minors.

It will likely take 2 months into the season, to truly gauge if the Rangers are on the right track, or spinning aimlessly. I think the fact none were listed as Tier 1, supports that.
I just randomly came across it so wouldn't vouch for the validity of the person writing the article but it is the only place I've seen more than a Top 30 so lists more guys to look out for.

My comments may have come across as more biting, than I intended.

I was kinda bundling some frustration with anxiousness. I'm anxious for the players to sort out so I can start following their results, and frustrated with my lack of foundation going into the season. No clue who ends up where.

Previous seasons, you could follow players up the ranks. You'll have surprises and disappointments.

This year, I think 5-10 players on that Top 50 were obtained in trades... 5 - 10 recovering from TJ... and the HS Ps didn't pitch.

Argh...
mavsfan4ever
AG
I don't put much in the Musers' sports opinions and usually tune out when they talk sports, but they just did a rangers segment and I agreed with everything they said.

And the artificial turf is ridiculous. I'm a huge basketball fan and more of a casual baseball fan. I usually go to 3-4 games per year (would go to a lot more if the stadium was closer to Dallas). I have no desire to see a game in the new stadium. Even if the artificial grass is a decent playing option, that would be like building s golf course from turf and then when people complain saying that it shouldn't matter because the turf plays just like grass. That's not the point, the course would get absolutely no customers because the smell, look, etc of grass is a big part of golf. Most baseball fans feel the same way.

Im definitely going to go to opening day this year since I guess it will be the last time to see opening day played on actual grass.
Seven Costanza
AG
I'm 98% certain that I'm wrong about this, but part of me feels like the dome and the artificial turf are going to sink the franchise over the long term. It's just a different experience, even watching on tv. Of course Houston, Arizona, and Toronto are doing fine with a closed roof, so I guess most people don't care.
KT 90
AG
Seven Costanza said:

I'm 98% certain that I'm wrong about this, but part of me feels like the dome and the artificial turf are going to sink the franchise over the long term. It's just a different experience, even watching on tv. Of course Houston, Arizona, and Toronto are doing fine with a closed roof, so I guess most people don't care.

I don't think the dome/roof will be an issue, that is something that was actually desired to help with Summer temps and attracting players. But hopefully it isn't closed almost exclusively like it seems to be in Houston and other locations.

It remains to be seen on the turf issue. At least Arizone is going to be the ginny pig on that. But even if it doesn't go well in Arizona, I'm not sure that there will be time to reverse course and switch to grass.
powerbelly
AG
KT 90 said:

It remains to be seen on the turf issue. At least Arizone is going to be the ginny pig on that. But even if it doesn't go well in Arizona, I'm not sure that there will be time to reverse course and switch to grass.
Even if it doesn't go well in Arizona they are going to stick with turf. There was never a desire for grass in the new stadium and they wont change.
Seven Costanza
AG
KT 90 said:

Seven Costanza said:

I don't think the dome/roof will be an issue, that is something that was actually desired to help with Summer temps and attracting players. But hopefully it isn't closed almost exclusively like it seems to be in Houston and other locations.
It makes perfect sense that not dealing with the heat would attract players and fans, but I'm choosing to ignore all logic because it makes the watching experience so non-baseballish.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
KT 90 said:

Seven Costanza said:

I don't see much hope with the roof being open. Most retractable roof stadiums are left closed almost year round and it's mainly because of stringent rules from MLB and the organization itself.

The MLB groundrules basically make the only logical step to keep the roof closed from the start if there's any measurable chance of rain: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info/umpires/ground_rules.jsp

Apparently Minutemade has it's own rules which are even more stringent https://www.thescore.com/mlb/news/510737

Quote:

...the roof is closed for the threat of rain, threat of sustained winds above 30 mph, temperatures below 65 degrees for a night game and air temperature or heat-index readings above 88 degrees for a night game or 84 for a day game.
If the Rangers were to follow that it'd be closed year round
DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein
AG
Away from Texags, I've never encountered so much hostility about a local stadium. The Ballpark was so well done and loved, so a lot of people were already bitter about abandoning it so soon. And now this turf thing has really stirred things up.
Corporal Punishment
AG
Yep.

The Ballpark is still a gorgeous venue a quarter of a century after opening. Rangers did it right. Timeless architecture, grass, great food options, fairly easy ingress/egress, etc. It's the biggest reason I plan trips to DFW.

Razing this stadium is a sin.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I disagree....those damn Sunday afternoon games are a sin. 100 degrees...and the stands look like Oakland.

I'm very much in favor of the new stadium
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

4 days until P & C report, and all you guys want to do is complain about 2020...

45 mins will be 3 days...

The emoji was supposed to be the winkle face.
DallasAg 94
2 for 2 with 2 to go.

DallasAg 94

DallasAg 94
Hard to believe so many FAs are still available.

MLBTR indicating Keuchel and Boras were after a 6-7 yr deal at $25-30M per. At 30, that just isn't go in ng to happen. If MLB owners believe by 33 decline is inevitable... SP like Keuchel won't be getting that last big payday.

My question is... if 32-33 is the end... will the CBA reduce serf and/or Arb years. Teams who wait to promote a player until 24, then control for 6 years... it will be tough for players to get lucrative FA years.

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/quick-hits-keuchel-marwin-padres-tribe-wilson-athletics.html
DannyDuberstein
AG
I wonder if they may try to replace a year or two of arbitration years with some sort of restricted free agency. Leave a team the right to match and keep their guy, but a player can get his big, long-term deal earlier than they do now.
KT 90
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

I wonder if they may try to replace a year or two of arbitration years with some sort of restricted free agency. Leave a team the right to match and keep their guy, but a player can get his big, long-term deal earlier than they do now.

The players will be pushing for some path to earlier free agency. The CBA is up in 2021, and the teams are using the analytical data to support that not giving big contracts to 30ish middle aged players. If those players aren't going to get paid like they have in the past, the union will be pushing to get them paid earlier.

KT 90
AG
Quote:

MLBTR indicating Keuchel and Boras were after a 6-7 yr deal at $25-30M per.
That is just insane. And that is on his agent trying to drive the market. He is still a good pitcher, but not a top of the rotation guy anymore.

He'll get a lesser amount per year and for less years, no question.

KT 90
AG
Projected Ranger Opening Day roster from mlb.com
https://www.mlb.com/news/rangers-opening-day-roster-prediction/c-303763504

CATCHERS
Jeff Mathis
Isiah Kiner-Falefa
INFIELDERS
Ronald Guzman
Rougned Odor
Elvis Andrus
Asdrubal Cabrera
OUTFIELDERS
Joey Gallo
Delino DeShields
Nomar Mazara
Willie Calhoun
Shin-Soo Choo
Hunter Pence
UTILITY PLAYERS
Matt Davidson
STARTING PITCHERS
Mike Minor
Lance Lynn
Drew Smyly
Edinson Volquez
Shelby Miller
RELIEF PITCHERS
Jose Leclerc
Shawn Kelley
Jesse Chavez
Chris Martin
Zach McAllister
Jeffrey Springs
Connor Sadzeck
TXAggie2011
AG
Harper and Keuchel were both "controversial" free agents to begin with.

Keuchel was mediocre to bad 2 of the 3 previous seasons. Harper is a roller coaster.
DallasAg 94
I was thinking of listed the Career Best (CB) for each player, just to see what heights they've hit. I got to the 1st one, and well... Mathis stopped me cold.

CATCHERS
Jeff Mathis (35): Career best BA ('16:33) .238, 2 HR, 41 GP, .267 OBP

So, I figured... SP would be more encouraging. And it was.

STARTING PITCHERS
Mike Minor (31): CB - ('13, 25): 32GS, 3.21 ERA, 201.2 IP, 181 SO, 1.154 WHIP
Lance Lynn (31): CB - ('14, 27): 33GS, 2.74 ERA, 203.2 IP, 181 SO, 1.262 WHIP
Drew Smyly (29): CB - ('14, 25): 25GS, 3.24 ERA, 153.0 IP, 122 SO, 1.348 WHIP
Edinson Volquez (35): CB - ('14, 30): 31 GS, 3.04 ERA, 192.2 IP, 140 SO, 1.230 WHIP
Shelby Miller (28): CB - ('15, 24): 33GS, 3.02 ERA, 205.1 IP, 171 SO, 1.247 WHIP

Hard to believe 2014 was 5 years ago. But, man... if we had this roster in 2014, We'd have been pretty good.

DallasAg 94
Do we get an Official Spring Training thread tomorrow?

This one is about dead.
Mr Gigem
AG
Any full season ticket holders in here? Have y'all had your relocation appointment for the new stadium yet?
Proposition Joe
Our group is Lower Box, so I believe we'll be closer to March... Though two of the companies I know with Lower Infield seats said the price increase was staggering. Hoping Lower Box isn't as bad, but not holding out much hope.
sburg2007
AP, any idea when full promotion schedule comes out?
Mr. White
Uniform changes for 2020 have to be submitted before June.

Will there be a re-brand for the new stadium?
Mr Gigem
AG
sburg2007 said:

AP, any idea when full promotion schedule comes out?

It should be online. I know they announced it at Fan Fest
Mr Gigem
AG
Proposition Joe said:

Our group is Lower Box, so I believe we'll be closer to March... Though two of the companies I know with Lower Infield seats said the price increase was staggering. Hoping Lower Box isn't as bad, but not holding out much hope.

Eh, the lower infield price increase should be fairly nominal, meaning no more than a 30% increase

The areas that saw the largest increase were VIP Infield and Premium Infield

Mr Gigem
AG
Mr. White said:

Uniform changes for 2020 have to be submitted before June.

Will there be a re-brand for the new stadium?

Possibly

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.