*****UnOfficial Texas Rangers Post-2018 Off-Season Thread****

79,880 Views | 719 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fuzzy Dunlop
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Rossko said:

DallasAg 94 said:

Maybe the Owners are looking towards Six Flags as a potential suitor.

Picture this... Six Flags buys the Rangers. The Texas Live! area becomes the center of their entertainment facility. They can share a common parking, which currently butts up against each other. Six Flags now has the same type of central entertainmen, like Universal Orlando has. You turn RBiA into a special theme, like Universal has Harry Potter. Six Flags STH get special advance concert tickets... and Six Flags can co-Market together.

The real ballpark will be the home of the Bob Stoops led XFL team.
Well, now that we'll have the new special-event stadium with turf... shouldn't be a problem to the football to that stadium.

Win-Win-Win.
KT 90
AG
So Gallo and Mazara are open to contract extensions. Good idea or not? link

Quote:

Mazara is entering his fourth year with the Rangers and is eligible for free agency after the 2021 season. Gallo is behind him in service time and isn't eligible until after 2022

jtstanley4621
AG
KT 90 said:

Quote:

Mazara is entering his fourth year with the Rangers and is eligible for free agency after the 2021 season. Gallo is behind him in service time and isn't eligible until after 2022

I'd give both those guys a season to prove it. Sure, they could theoretically have a great seasons and then you missed locking them up long term of cheap, but both of them have flaws in their games that makes me a little hesitant to sign them long term right now.
KT 90
AG
jtstanley4621 said:

KT 90 said:

Quote:

I'd give both those guys a season to prove it. Sure, they could theoretically have a great seasons and then you missed locking them up long term of cheap, but both of them have flaws in their games that makes me a little hesitant to sign them long term right now.
I tend to agree here. May need to sit tight for another season and see how it goes. Mazara is limited defensively and may end up as a DH or at 1B. But we have Guzman at 1B currently. Gallo is a lot more athletic and can play several positions, but needs to find a way to cut down on the ko's and bump up the average.

Rossko
AG
KT 90 said:

Quote:

Personally I would lock up Gallo now while his value is lower. Once he gets to 50 HR he is going to cost a lot more. As for Mazara I wouldn't sign him and hope he has a good year to boost his trade value. If the new stadium plays better for pitching we will need guys that can field out there and Calhoun is cheaper to have as the DH.
Rossko
AG
Random post about another possible Rangers killer. Lookout for Ramon Laureano this year. He hit 4 of his 5 HR last year against the Rangers while putting up an .833 SLG & 1.179 OPS & 20 total bases in 6 games. I know it's a small sample size but he should be the starting CF this year, put on 10 lbs of muscle and has been working with Rickey Henderson on all aspects this spring. Him and Davis together might be giving Rangers pitchers nightmares this summer.
jtstanley4621
AG
I could DEFINITELY see Profar and Chirinos being Ranger killers, unfortunately.
Michael Cera Palin
AG
Profar is for sure going to tear us apart
Danny Vermin
PWestAg18 said:

Profar is for sure going to tear us apart

Absolutely no doubt.
toucan82
A lot of players are going to tear us apart next year
DeangeloVickers
AG
C Mathis/IKF
1B Guzman
2B Odor
SS Andrus
3B Cabrera
LF Gallo
CF Delino
RF Mazara
DH Choo

Minor
Lynn
Smyly
Volquez
Miller

Closer: LeClerq
Shawn Kelley
Chavis
Chris Martin

I was also checking out our AAA roster and it's the best it's been in years...but its mainly veterans....hell they could give our MLB a run....I think Id ratehr see Ben Revere over Delino

C Jett Bandy
1B Andy Ibanez
2B Chase d'Arnaud/Eli White
SS Nolan Fontana
3B Matt Davidson
OF HUnter Pence
OF Ben Revere
OF Danny Santana

bigcat22
AG
Joey Gallo got jokes

KT 90
AG
bigcat22 said:

Joey Gallo got jokes

Lol, I like it
KT 90
AG
Ryno01 said:

C Mathis/IKF
1B Guzman
2B Odor
SS Andrus
3B Cabrera
LF Gallo
CF Delino
RF Mazara
DH Choo

Minor
Lynn
Smyly
Volquez
Miller

Closer: LeClerq
Shawn Kelley
Chavis
Chris Martin

I was also checking out our AAA roster and it's the best it's been in years...but its mainly veterans....hell they could give our MLB a run....I think Id ratehr see Ben Revere over Delino

C Jett Bandy
1B Andy Ibanez
2B Chase d'Arnaud/Eli White
SS Nolan Fontana
3B Matt Davidson
OF HUnter Pence
OF Ben Revere
OF Danny Santana

And somehow we need to find a way to get ab's for Calhoun and see if he can hit mlb pitching. We aren't getting squat for him in a trade unless he proves he can hit, and it's a tank season anyway. Have to get him in the lineup at least semi regularly and see what he can do.

Barring a trade or injury, only way currently is to play Gallo in CF. Could put Gallo at 1b, but I thought Guzman showed pretty well last year and deserves his shot too.
DeangeloVickers
AG
I watched Calhoun alot at Round Rock

I think he's just way too small to have an impact

Hope I'm wrong
bigcat22
AG
Ryno01 said:

Hope I'm wrong
Smaller than Altuve?
jtstanley4621
AG
Ryno01 said:

Hope I'm wrong
Calhoun's impact is going to be measured by his bat, and I don't think he's too small to hit. He's actually the player I'm most looking forward to seeing play this year in terms of watching his development.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Hope Im wrong on him, but I just was never impressed ...seemed way too small and slow

This is a start though (losing 24 lbs)

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2019/02/15/self-reflection-led-willie-calhoun-make-thebiggest-lifestyle-change-life
_lefraud_
AG
Rua and Robinson together had around 275 PA, so that should help Calhoun get to 300+ this year. I am so glad I don't have to see Ryan Rua suit up for the Texas Rangers this year.
rsf0626
I know its just the beginning of Spring Training, but so far it has been UGLY. Hopefully they turn it around
DeangeloVickers
AG
1-9 LOSS Royals (Ibanez scored Guzman)
1-10 LOSS Brew Crew (Tocci HR)
11-5 WIN vs Cleveland
J.P. 03
AG
rsf0626 said:

I know its just the beginning of Spring Training, but so far it has been UGLY. Hopefully they turn it around
The guy they're touting as our #1 starter is 31 years old and has never won more than 13 games in a season. The only hoping I'm doing at this point is that they turn it around by the 2021 season.

This part of a rebuilding cycle sucks.
DannyDuberstein
AG
So what you're saying is that our #1 is actually more like a #2?
DeangeloVickers
AG
Who is gonna suck the most?

My money in order
Miami
Baltimore
Kansas City (although such a strange fast roster)
Texas
Danny Vermin
Ryno01 said:

Who is gonna suck the most?

My money in order
Miami
Baltimore
Kansas City (although such a strange fast roster)
Texas

Yeah, but I'll be watching or listening to just about game no matter what. I guess I like misery.
DeangeloVickers
AG
We're Rangers fans
alvtimes
should be charging AA ticket prices for this sham of a roster!!!!!!
DallasAg 94
Dec 2021 is when the CBA expires.

Under contract for 2022?
Andrus: $14.250M
Odor: $12.333M

Gallo: A3
Leclerc: A3
IKF: A2
Tocci: A2

Calhoun and Guzman will have team control.

That's it.
KT 90
AG
Looks like Arenado is off the table as a free agent after the 2019 season, sticking with the Rockies. So much for him being a splash free agent signee to open the new stadium. Would've been a good fit as a RH bat that plays 3B.
KT 90
AG
Hey, maybe Calhoun can DH this season afterall... Choo already breaking down ~ a week into Spring Training.

KT 90
AG
If anyone is up, was flipping channels and noticed the replay of today's Ranger - Mariner game is on mlb channel right now.
Rossko
AG
MLB 30 Clubs in 30 Days spring training series is scheduled to be the Rangers tomorrow (Wednesday) night at 6PM on MLB Network.
BarryProfit
Gotta start somewhere
DallasAg 94
I'm going to call this "The Best of NRI..."

I know we are only 4 games into ST, and these are meaningless games.

Lots of NRI guys getting opportunity while the projected starters ramp up.

So, which NRI players came to play...

C: Jett Bandy (29): 2/7 (.286)

1B: Pence (36): 1/5 (.200)
2B: Fontana (28): 5/10 (.500)
3B: Ibanez (26): 4/9 (.444)
SS: Yonny Hernandez (21): 2/6 (.333)

OF: Preston Beck (28): 3/6 (.500)
OF: Eliezer Alvarez (24): 1/2 (.500)
OF: LeDarius Clark (25): 1/1 (.500)

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/TEX/2019.shtml

Lots of pitchers have seen action, but I'll wait until they send some to the minor-league fields, before wasting too much time.

Good right-up on Volquez, though. Hit 95... 96... 97, on his way to giving up 4R in 1.0 IP. But it is all about getting work, not necessarily missing bats, at this point.
alvtimes
Damn.... I thought the Rangers were in the lead for Harper!!!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.