*****UnOfficial Texas Rangers Post-2018 Off-Season Thread****

80,472 Views | 719 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fuzzy Dunlop
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My only observation is it seems the majority of the seats will be opposite most of the parking and other things to do.
KT 90
AG
Fuzzy Dunlop said:

KT 90 said:

bigcat22 said:

I was watching some MLB Network earlier and they had a top 100 players for 2019 show on, not one Ranger on the list. Also read an article of top 10 players at each position, and again not a single Ranger.

I'm trying to get pumped for the season but man seeing stuff like that is depressing

There are always multiple lists out there, but most I've seen has 1 or 2, possibly 3 Rangers in the top 100 listing (always in the latter portion). With a couple exceptions, most Ranger prospects are 2 to 3 away, so not as likely to end up in a top 100 just yet.

Here is one, has three Rangers, spots 85, 88, and 89: http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=prospects

The problem is that he is not talking prospects. The show is highlighting the Top 100 Major Leaguers for 2019. Not a single Ranger on the list and there probably won't be for a year. If Gallo could hit consistently in the .260 to .275 range he might make it some day. Odor has a shot but it is a long one. Guzman is a great defensive 1B but doesn't generate the offense to make a list like this.

MLB network has been rating the Top 10 at each position the past few weeks and again, no Rangers on the list. This is going to be a tough year to watch.

"The problem is that he is not talking prospects"

my bad, read through too quickly. Yeah, for top 100 players we are hurting. Maybe Mazara, but he missed a good chunk of the season due to injury last season so that likely made him slide a bit. Elvis is getting older, and missed a good chunk of the season too. If he can play at the 2018 level for a full season again he could be back on that list.

DallasAg 94
TXAggie2011 said:

My only observation is it seems the majority of the seats will be opposite most of the parking and other things to do.

I used to be the guy that was always positive about the Rangers. Hope rang eternal.

That changed about 1.5 yrs ago.

Something tells me there will be plenty to complain about the new stadium development.
Will enough baseball fans come along to support the dev, or will there be enough non-baseball fans to fill the gap?

Risky move.
PatAg
AG
Someone could probably make a good chunk of money with "Not my Ballpark" t-shirts
AgBQ-00
AG
And then open a "competing" company that sells "Love my Ballpark" shirts
Communists aren't people. They are property of the state.
Mr Gigem
AG
Best seat in the new ballpark right here.

Chipotlemonger
AG
That's a hypothetical day game with the roof open pic, better close the roof.
_lefraud_
AG
Yea, other than opening day, the roof is not going to be open, similar to Enron in 2000. Might get 10-15 games with the roof open for the season.
alvtimes
do we get a train and track in LF also?????
Schall 02
AG
AccidentProne said:

Best seat in the new ballpark right here.

Man. I'm gonna miss the ballpark. When it was built I thought the throw-back thing was a fad. But it was a fad with authenticity. I'm afraid this strikes me as "just a ballpark." I hope I'm wrong.
double aught
AG
Alvarado Times said:

do we get a train and track in LF also?????
At least at Minute Maid, that wall past left field opens up too, really giving the park an outdoor feel. This new park doesn't even appear to have that feature.

Why did the citizens of Arlington agree to this again?
Mr Gigem
AG
There will still be lots of natural light that gets into the stadium when the roof is closed
Ag_07
AG
Just my thoughts...You guys will like your new digs.

There will be lots of natural light so even with the roof closed you wont feel like you're in the dingy Astrodome or The Trop.

I hear you guys on the grass. That's shltty.

Coming from someone who wasn't sold on MMP and is now a big fan of it I think once it opens and you guys go visit you'll be raving about it.
Mr Gigem
AG
I learned something new this week during an event in our sales center at the stadium. It was never a question of whether they could or couldn't grow grass in the new stadium. The plan was to grow grass from the beginning. Given the way the way the stadium is oriented, the direction the roof opens, the amount of glass letting additional sunlight in, they knew they would be able to grow grass.

What happened was during their research, they traveled to other stadiums with retractable roofs and natural grass, and they did not like the consistency of the grass foul line to foul line. On top of that, Shaw Sports had approached in advance to pitch them on this synthetic grass they were developing that they had spent years of research on. It is supposed to play and feel just like, if not better than, natural grass.

In addition, the reaction they got from the players about the idea of having a synthetic turf was "how is the ball going to play?" more than "how is my body going to feel on this turf?" So while the Rangers do have the players' health top of mind, that did not seem to be the highest of concern of the players themselves, except for a few players, one of which was Nomar Mazara. I had to go to an appointment with a client so I didn't get to hear anything after that.

The Rangers play in Arizona this year so they will get to feel first hand how it plays. Again, it's a great litmus test rolling it out in Arizona first to see if any changes need to be made be installing the synthetic turf in Arlington.

Oh, and one other thing. They did say they have the ability to switch back to natural grass if they want to.
powerbelly
AG
No one believes this. As soon as they wanted to be a multi-function facility turf was the only option.
Mr Gigem
AG
Okay buddy. It's not like I work here and get first hand knowledge or anything. I just watched them re-sod the entire field in a single day. I don't think repairing a few spots after a concert are too big of a concern.

But please continue to bleed all over this thread.
mhayden
Concerts and other events drove the playing surface decision.

It may very well turn out to be a great decision that the players love, but the added revenues from holding concerts and the like at Globe Life without tearing up the grass drove this decision.

The front office isn't going to come out and say this, because the people of Arlington agreed to pay for a baseball stadium not a concert venue so all acknowledging the decision as more than a "baseball decision" would do is ruffle feathers.

But there's a reason that even the local sportswriters said synthetic was all but a guarantee... They didn't have inside knowledge on how it would play or what the players preferred -- they just knew the $$$.
powerbelly
AG
Yes, the fact that you work there makes the bull**** story even less convincing. It is a pure marketing attempt after such negative public reaction.

Turf sucks, the new stadium looks like a poor copy of houston, and its clear ownership cares more about concerts than baseball.

We get it, you have to sell tickets and want to put the most positive view possible on the changes.
Corporal Punishment
AG
I haven't noticed any consistency issues with the grass at Enron but then again I haven't been there in a while. Ditto for Miller Park. The fact that they have grass way the **** up there and not here in Arlington is laughable.
AustinCountyAg
powerbelly said:

Yes, the fact that you work there makes the bull**** story even less convincing. It is a pure marketing attempt after such negative public reaction.

Turf sucks, the new stadium looks like a poor copy of houston, and its clear ownership cares more about concerts than baseball.

We get it, you have to sell tickets and want to put the most positive view possible on the changes.
I am an Astros fan, but your statement couldn't be anymore true.

I enjoy making the trip to Arlighton for games, but it sucks that the new field looks so much like MMP. I was hoping for something more different.
AggieDPT
AG
I'm getting less excited about the stadium. It's looking like a copy between Safeco and MMP without much character.
DallasAg 94
AccidentProne said:

What happened was during their research, they traveled to other stadiums with retractable roofs and natural grass, and they did not like the consistency of the grass foul line to foul line, after concerts and other events.

I believe your statement, with them intentionally having omitted the added bold context.

If baseball is your priority... then, you don't having Opening Day, with crop circles like this:

Quote:

On top of that, Shaw Sports had approached in advance to pitch them on this synthetic grass they were developing that they had spent years of research on. It is supposed to play and feel just like, if not better than, natural grass.

So, Shaw approached them "in advance" then they were already considering it.

We saw the incredible criticism from the terrible grass RBiA has had, especially after concerts. The FANS knew THEN... that turf was on the way, beit a new stadium, or not.
mhayden
For 250 something days a year the stadium basically sat empty -- just a few of these events jumps revenue significantly.

This was an obvious decision.
DallasAg 94
Ha ha... you changed it before I could post...

Globe Life Park holds 49,115 for concerts, according to Google. For Billy Joel, I might guess average ticket price is about $100. For McCartney... closer to $150.

Joel: $4.9M
McCartney: $7.35M

Add say, $20 per 3 people for parking. 15K X $20 = $300K.

3 hrs. 4 Drinks X $10 X 49K = $1.96M.

Even more important than the $7.16M (Joel) and $9.610M (McCartney), is the economic impact for the Live! area.

The area around RBiA never took off because of the 150 dead days... and I'd argue it is higher than that... baseball has 81 home games, plus pre/post season games.

Look at West End, before the AAC. Game nights for Mavs/Stars were booming, but if you went downtown any other night, it was pretty dead at night.

Will the Rangers be able to host enough events at the new park, for restaurants and other businesses be able to succeed? I doubt it. It would either need to be organic, new social business (possible), or pulled from somewhere else (likely).
DallasAg 94
Maybe the Owners are looking towards Six Flags as a potential suitor.

Picture this... Six Flags buys the Rangers. The Texas Live! area becomes the center of their entertainment facility. They can share a common parking, which currently butts up against each other. Six Flags now has the same type of central entertainmen, like Universal Orlando has. You turn RBiA into a special theme, like Universal has Harry Potter. Six Flags STH get special advance concert tickets... and Six Flags can co-Market together.
mhayden
"Vote No To Six Flags and Six-Man Rotations"
DallasAg 94
free_mhayden said:

"Vote No To Six Flags and Six-Man Rotations"
It is just Goofy to have 6-Man rotations.

And about 6-Flags... we don't want to be a Mickey Mouse organization like the Halos.
PatAg
AG
AccidentProne said:

I learned something new this week during an event in our sales center at the stadium. It was never a question of whether they could or couldn't grow grass in the new stadium. The plan was to grow grass from the beginning. Given the way the way the stadium is oriented, the direction the roof opens, the amount of glass letting additional sunlight in, they knew they would be able to grow grass.

What happened was during their research, they traveled to other stadiums with retractable roofs and natural grass, and they did not like the consistency of the grass foul line to foul line. On top of that, Shaw Sports had approached in advance to pitch them on this synthetic grass they were developing that they had spent years of research on. It is supposed to play and feel just like, if not better than, natural grass.

In addition, the reaction they got from the players about the idea of having a synthetic turf was "how is the ball going to play?" more than "how is my body going to feel on this turf?" So while the Rangers do have the players' health top of mind, that did not seem to be the highest of concern of the players themselves, except for a few players, one of which was Nomar Mazara. I had to go to an appointment with a client so I didn't get to hear anything after that.

The Rangers play in Arizona this year so they will get to feel first hand how it plays. Again, it's a great litmus test rolling it out in Arizona first to see if any changes need to be made be installing the synthetic turf in Arlington.

Oh, and one other thing. They did say they have the ability to switch back to natural grass if they want to.
I appreciate everything you do for us, from the awesome deals on seats to giving us fun/neat semi insider information.

It's all about the non-baseball events right?
Front Range Ag
AG
Indeed.

As an demonstration, plug Globe Life Park into Google Maps. I don't know what they had going on the day that image was taken, but baseball was a long way from their minds.
Mr Gigem
AG
Looks like Enchant
PatAg
AG
Personally, I think it will probably take a bit to adjust to but it will probably stilll be a great time at the game
DallasAg 94
AccidentProne said:

Looks like Enchant
I'm assuming the re-sodding is a result of Enchant. Is this the 2nd year of Enchant, or has it been going on longer? It wouldn't seem financially beneficial if having to re-sod if necessary.

I'll refer back to Neil Sperry, because I was listening to him last week. I have some areas I need to sod, and for us residential people, he says, April/May for the sodding.

He said if you need to sod before then, in an emergency for signing off on code, you can do it. Opening Day would qualify. <- Yes, I know for a ballpark the grass and management is different.
Mr Gigem
AG
Second year for Enchant, but this is the first time it was inside the ballpark
Rossko
AG
AccidentProne said:

Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Maybe the Owners are looking towards Six Flags as a potential suitor.

Picture this... Six Flags buys the Rangers. The Texas Live! area becomes the center of their entertainment facility. They can share a common parking, which currently butts up against each other. Six Flags now has the same type of central entertainmen, like Universal Orlando has. You turn RBiA into a special theme, like Universal has Harry Potter. Six Flags STH get special advance concert tickets... and Six Flags can co-Market together.

The real ballpark will be the home of the Bob Stoops led XFL team.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.