*****UnOfficial Texas Rangers Post-2018 Off-Season Thread****

79,626 Views | 719 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fuzzy Dunlop
DallasAg 94
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Let's start this off with a blaze.

Wakamatsu will be our Manager, as the Rangers will remove the "interim" label.

It is all we can afford. You know... with the cost of the new stadium, and all.

That is all.
powerbelly
AG
I can't believe they are building another stadium in arlington.
mhayden
Quite the risk having the thread starter be a guy that will abandon the team if they go to a 6-man rotation
DallasAg 94
free_mhayden said:

Quite the risk having the thread starter be a guy that will abandon the team if they go to a 6-man rotation
Well, we do have like 150 days, so let's see where this team does.
jkag89
If it is the Unofficial thread why did you use the *****TexAgs***** indication of an official thread?
94chem
Dear God, please make Adrian come back.
94chem
free_mhayden said:

Ya know, he said that about the 5 man rotation in about 1985. I'll look around for the quote.
DallasAg 94
94chem said:

free_mhayden said:

Ya know, he said that about the 5 man rotation in about 1985. I'll look around for the quote.
Ironically enough, I grew up in LA watching the Dodgers who were the 1st in the modern era to use a five-man rotation, on the advisement I gave Tommy Lasorda.

In '76, he had:
Tommy John: 31 GS, 207.0 IP, 3.09 ERA, 1.295 WHIP
Don Sutton: 34 GS, 267.2 IP, 3.06 ERA, 1.169 WHIP
Doug Rau: 32 GS, 231.0 IP, 2.57 ERA, 1.255 WHIP
Burt Hooten: 33 GS, 226.2 IP, 3.26 ERA, 1.160 WHIP
Rich Rhoden: 26 GS, 181.0 IP, 2.98 ERA, 1.204 WHIP
DallasAg 94
So... here we go...

According to COTS, the Rangers have the following liabilities:
2019: $88M
2020: $64M
2021: $26M

Choo: $21M - Only 2 yrs left
Andrus: $15.25M. I assume he didn't opt-out
Minor: $9.83M - 2 yrs left
Odor: $7.83M
Chris Martin: $2.25M

Arbs:
Profar (A3)
Mazara (A1)
DeShields (A1)
Rua (A2)
Carlos Perez (A1)

Barnette (A1)
Claudio (A1)
Butler (A1)

Serfs:
Bush, Gallo, Guzman, Jurado, LeClerc, Mann, Martin, Mendez
Ricardo Rodriguez, Blackburn, Herrera, Palumbo, Tocci,
Alberto, ABD, Sadzeck, Trevino
And on, and on with the Serfs.

Options:
Moore
Perez
Fister
Chirinos

If you find a write-up on the options for the rotation... I'd love to see it.

AFAIK, it is:
Minor, Jurado, YoMen, ABD, TBD
DallasAg 94
Andrus is in the Rangers' boat for 2019.

SO:
Profar-Andrus-Odor-Guzman

Assuming Beltre retires, as I expect. I think he gets a "special assistant" role.
KT 90
AG
Quote:

Haven't seen a recent one, there were some out there towards the end of the regular season, but they were mostly swag's for the most part. I'm sure we will sign a re-tread or two and then hope that we can move up one of the younger arms around mid-season or so.

KT 90
AG
And I see that Prince Fielder is included in the $88M for 2019? I'm probably not remember correctly, but I thought we came up with some agreement with him and he was "off the books".

KT 90
AG
Quote:

Options:
Moore
Perez
Fister
Chirinos

On these, most of the beat writers have stated that we will probably keep Chirinos and decline the other three. Supposedly we will try to bring Perez back on a cheaper deal, but obviously once we decline his option Perez is going to go to the highest bidder.

DannyDuberstein
AG
KT 90 said:

And I see that Prince Fielder is included in the $88M for 2019? I'm probably not remember correctly, but I thought we came up with some agreement with him and he was "off the books".

Rangers are stuck with $9MM per year for 2019 and 2020. Detroit is still carrying $6 as part of the original deal, and insurance is covering $9. So I think the $88 is correctly just factoring in the $9 they owe.

I think the "off the books" arrangement was he initially went to the extended DL and would have had to stay there for the duration of the contract for them to collect the insurance vs. officially retiring. However, after over a year of him going to the extended DL, the Rangers got the insurance co. to settle with them (still pay the full amount) by allowing them to go ahead and release him. So that happened in Oct 2017. I think the extended DL kept him from counting toward the 40 during the season, but there is no DL in the offseason, which meant he was going to eat up a spot for them to get paid unless they worked something out with the insurance co. Which they did.
DallasAg 94
DannyDuberstein said:

KT 90 said:

Rangers are stuck with $9MM per year for 2019 and 2020. Detroit is still carrying $6 as part of the original deal, and insurance is covering $9. So I think the $88 is correctly just factoring in the $9 they owe.

I think the "off the books" arrangement was he initially went to the extended DL would have had to stay there for the duration of the contract vs. officially retiring, which would be necessary to collect the insurance. However, after over a year of him going to the extended DL, the Rangers got the insurance co. to settle with them (still pay the full amount) in that they were no longer required to carry him on the roster and burn a 40 man spot for him. So that happened in Oct 2017.
I think that is correct. The rub came in the off-season. During the season, he could be on the DL60, which didn't count against the 40. At the end of the season, the DL60 goes away and players on the DL60 count against the 40.
DannyDuberstein
AG
yep, I'd just edited to bake in that part while you were replying.
KT 90
AG
DannyDuberstein said:

KT 90 said:

I think the "off the books" arrangement was he initially went to the extended DL and would have had to stay there for the duration of the contract for them to collect the insurance vs. officially retiring. However, after over a year of him going to the extended DL, the Rangers got the insurance co. to settle with them (still pay the full amount) by allowing them to go ahead and release him. So that happened in Oct 2017. I think the extended DL kept him from counting toward the 40 during the season, but there is no DL in the offseason, which meant he was going to eat up a spot for them to get paid unless they worked something out with the insurance co. Which they did.

Thanks. I figured I wasn't remembering it exactly right. I do remember the discussion of him taking up a roster spot.

KT 90
AG
KT 90 said:

Quote:

Haven't seen a recent one, there were some out there towards the end of the regular season, but they were mostly swag's for the most part. I'm sure we will sign a re-tread or two and then hope that we can move up one of the younger arms around mid-season or so.

Sooo, apparently Drew Smyly will be a rotation option for the Rangers in 2019:

Quote:

The Texas Rangers are acquiring lefthanded pitcher Drew Smyly from the Chicago Cubs in a deal that helps facilitate the Cubs picking up Cole Hamels $20M team option for 2019, per Jerry Crasnick on Twitter. No word yet on what other pieces are involved.
Smyly, 29, signed a 2 year, $10M deal with the Cubs after the 2017 season. Smyly underwent Tommy John surgery in June, 2017, and missed all of the 2018 season, but would seem to be on track to pitch in 2019, when he is due $7 million. Smyly has a career 3.74 ERA in 570 IP with Detroit, Seattle and the Rays, and while he has worked as both a starter and as a reliever, he will presumably be penciled into the Rangers' 2019 rotation.
What does this have to do with Cole Hamels, you may ask? Well, Buster Olney said yesterday that the Cubs wanted to pick up Hamels' 2019 option, but needed to move salary to do so. The Rangers would pay the $6 million buyout if the Cubs decline the option on Hamels, but pay nothing if the Cubs exercise the option. Thus, it is in the Rangers interest to take on some salary to induce the Cubs to pick up the option on Hamels, which is reportedly happening. Last night I suggested Brandon Kinztler, a reliever owed $5 million, could go to Texas to make this happen, but Smyly is a better fit for Texas.

DannyDuberstein
AG
I was hoping the Cubs would pick up the option so the Rangers could dodge the $6MM, so at least they are getting something for the $$$.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Mr Gigem
AG
I'm in. Let's hope For an entertaining offseason
DannyDuberstein
AG
Well, at least when they make it back to the World Series, maybe they won't get their strategy pants pulled down in the NL park games.

Seriously though, seems to fit the profile I was expecting - youngish former player with a successful organization that has been embracing analytics. Pretty much checks all the boxes.

Schall 02
AG
Kershaw
powerbelly
AG
Schall 02 said:

Kershaw

He was never coming to Texas this offseason
mhayden
And on a 3-year deal, no thanks.

That deal works for the Dodgers because there window is still open.

We'd basically be punting Kershaw's first year here.
bigcat22
AG
Surprised to see that we declined the option on Chirinos. I'm guessing this means we are trying to work out a two year deal with him. I'd hate to lose both him and Beltre as they are both considered the leaders of the locker room.

Also, glad to see we DFA'd Rua, he just can't hit MLB pitching.
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

KT 90 said:

Quote:

Sooo, apparently Drew Smyly will be a rotation option for the Rangers in 2019:
Quote:

The Texas Rangers are acquiring lefthanded pitcher Drew Smyly from the Chicago Cubs in a deal that helps facilitate the Cubs picking up Cole Hamels $20M team option for 2019, per Jerry Crasnick on Twitter. No word yet on what other pieces are involved.
Smyly, 29, signed a 2 year, $10M deal with the Cubs after the 2017 season. Smyly underwent Tommy John surgery in June, 2017, and missed all of the 2018 season, but would seem to be on track to pitch in 2019, when he is due $7 million. Smyly has a career 3.74 ERA in 570 IP with Detroit, Seattle and the Rays, and while he has worked as both a starter and as a reliever, he will presumably be penciled into the Rangers' 2019 rotation.
What does this have to do with Cole Hamels, you may ask? Well, Buster Olney said yesterday that the Cubs wanted to pick up Hamels' 2019 option, but needed to move salary to do so. The Rangers would pay the $6 million buyout if the Cubs decline the option on Hamels, but pay nothing if the Cubs exercise the option. Thus, it is in the Rangers interest to take on some salary to induce the Cubs to pick up the option on Hamels, which is reportedly happening. Last night I suggested Brandon Kinztler, a reliever owed $5 million, could go to Texas to make this happen, but Smyly is a better fit for Texas.

It should prove interesting the Cubs will have a rotation of Darvish, Hamels, and Kendricks. All former Rangers pitchers.

I read an article earlier in the week, talking about Tyler Chatwood. I was afraid we'd end up with him. We still might, I suppose.

Smyly is right in JD's recent wheelhouse. A high risk high reward type on the cheap, coming from injury with no long-term commitment. Could he start the season in the minors?
DallasAg 94
bigcat22 said:

Surprised to see that we declined the option on Chirinos. I'm guessing this means we are trying to work out a two year deal with him. I'd hate to lose both him and Beltre as they are both considered the leaders of the locker room.

Also, glad to see we DFA'd Rua, he just can't hit MLB pitching.
It was time to end Rua experiment.

Not only Chirinos, but declined on all 4. Chirinos, Fister, Moore and Perez. Chirinos was never considered a full-time starting catcher, so hopefully the Rangers have something in mind. They must have seen enough with Jose Trevino. He has done well everywhere he has been and he was the 2016 and 2017 Minor League Gold Glove Catcher winner. An award given out to only one player (at each position) for ALL of the minor leagues. He also fits the JD player mold of a serf.

Should be interesting.

Also, out-righted: ABD, Blackburn, Mann, and Carlos Perez.

So, we got:
IF
Profar (A3) - Andrus ($15.25M) - Odor ($7.83M) - Guzman (Serf)
Trevino (Serf)

OF
Gallo (Serf)- DeShields (A1) - Mazara (A1)
DH: Choo($21M)

That's an Offense of:
$44.08M (3)
A3 (1)
A1 (2)
Serf (3)

COTS projects 6 Arbs ($13.57M) and 13 Serfs ($7.475M)
Total: $96.2M

I could see us dumping Choo, by picking up some of the money. With only 2 seasons left, you could make it attractive for other teams.

DeShields isn't the answer in CF, IMO. Great defensively, but he is a late defensively replacement. Not a full time player (.216, 5 HR, 20 SB).

Outside of those 2 moves, I don't see any major changes on Offense/Defense.
Cappo
AG
Would have loved if we could have somehow brought Kershaw home
bigcat22
AG
option short side
AG
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/texas-rangers/rangers/2018/11/03/19-things-new-rangers-managerchris-woodward-address-2019-including-call-first-willing-experiment Posted in the old thread, thought I'd share here. Pretty good read
jtstanley4621
AG
Cappo said:

Would have loved if we could have somehow brought Kershaw home

Would have been a cool sports story, but I don't know how I would have felt about spending that much. Kershaw is as good as anyone, but I don't know if the Rangers are a Kershaw addition away from competing
_lefraud_
AG
So I spent a short stint working in the visiting clubhouse at the Ballpark back in 2011. Toronto was in town, and as the series concluded, we are going around the clubhouse to collect bags/gear to load. I get to Woodward, and ask if his is ready to go, he just shakes his head. I come back a bit later, and again, he shakes his head no. So I go back a third time, and he finally tells me, "hey man, the bag is staying here with me." I walked away a little confused and then someone told me he had just been DFA....

Bro. Story. Cool
EllisCoAg
AG
The Texas Rangers have hired Los Angeles Dodgers third base coach Chris Woodward to be their new manager. The team made the official announcement in a press release on Saturday, with an official introduction planned for Monday.
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
gomerschlep
AG
Welp, here we go...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.