*****UnOfficial Texas Rangers Post-2018 Off-Season Thread****

80,542 Views | 719 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fuzzy Dunlop
sburg2007
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Kyle does have drainage, the air flow system if it's the same as soccer, Olsen, and atleast old softball. However, it does not any sort of heating mechanism. Soil temps down here generally don't get cold enough to need them. My sand based fields in north Texas generally get to the low 60's during winter. Soil temps about 70-75 is preferable for bermuda roots.
DallasAg 94
sburg2007 said:

Kyle does have drainage, the air flow system if it's the same as soccer, Olsen, and atleast old softball. However, it does not any sort of heating mechanism. Soil temps down here generally don't get cold enough to need them. My sand based fields in north Texas generally get to the low 60's during winter. Soil temps about 70-75 is preferable for bermuda roots.

You MAY or MAY NOT have just a little more knowledge about soil, grass, drainage, etc, than I have.
sburg2007
My 8 years in college station and a few since have been run by grass and soil. I just came to help explain some of this fun stuff.
mhayden
The concerts are big money-makers for the stadiums when they otherwise would have no events (teams on the road or off-season).

AT&T and Globe Life really don't compete for the same acts -- AT&T is only really going to land your mega-stars (like a U2), while Globe Life goes after the Paul McCartney's and Billy Joel's -- guys that otherwise would be playing at American Airlines Center.

Many of these acts like the allure of an "outside" concert in a historical setting like a ballpark, so these tours that started with your Wrigleys and Fenways eventually start including parks that aren't so "historical".

The playing surface decision was absolutely due to events -- had nothing to do with whether or not the grass would grow well.
DallasAg 94
sburg2007 said:

My 8 years in college station and a few since have been run by grass and soil. I just came to help explain some of this fun stuff.
Much appreciated.
sburg2007
I'm not claiming to know it all. Came off as quite arrogant, didn't I?? It'll be great to get back to baseball soon!
gomerschlep
AG
Man. TexAgs knows stuff. Love it.
DallasAg 94
sburg2007 said:

I'm not claiming to know it all. Came off as quite arrogant, didn't I?? It'll be great to get back to baseball soon!

I don't think you came across arrogant and I wasn't offended.

I was very appreciative for the info. I think most Rangers fan will take substiated knowledge first, if available.
DallasAg 94
And here we go... P & C report on Feb 12.

KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

And here we go... P & C report on Feb 12.

Pretty wild that we are this close to the start of Spring Training and Harper, Machado, Keuchecl and others are still unsigned.

KT 90
AG
Here is a writeup on the Rangers bullpen and some others who are possibilities to make it to the bullpen.

https://www.mlb.com/news/rangers-bullpen-taking-shape-for-2019-season/c-303520336

DeangeloVickers
AG
I think its gonna be the new norm

Game of chicken with agents and clubs
DeangeloVickers
AG
The Free Agent team would be pretty good

SP Gio Gonzalez
SP Dallas Kuechel
SP Ervin Santana
SP Clay Bucholz
CP Kimbrel

C Martin Maldanado
1B Josh Harrison
2B Marwin Gonzalez
SS Machado
3B Moustakas
RF Harper
CF Adam Jones
LF Carlos Gonzalez
DallasAg 94
Ryno01 said:

I've seen an occasional reference to the CBA.

Trying to figure out why the Rangers have not committed long-term to anyone, I was thinking maybe they are planning for a negotiation and shutdown threat. I believe it isn't up for negotiation for another couple years, but have seen some comments about a shutdown.

I got the sense there is a lot of politicking going on outside the public view. I'm not sure what to believe, but it is certainly weird.

Not sure if teams are done paying 5-6 yrs for a SP knowing they will only get 4 yrs, or if the metrics are truly changing.

I get playing a controllable 24 yo unproven player in a down year v paying millions for an aging veteran, to fill a hole to compete...

Maybe those players have just not lowered the asking price to where the market is...
KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Ryno01 said:

I've seen an occasional reference to the CBA.

Trying to figure out why the Rangers have not committed long-term to anyone, I was thinking maybe they are planning for a negotiation and shutdown threat. I believe it isn't up for negotiation for another couple years, but have seen some comments about a shutdown.

I got the sense there is a lot of politicking going on outside the public view. I'm not sure what to believe, but it is certainly weird.

Not sure if teams are done paying 5-6 yrs for a SP knowing they will only get 4 yrs, or if the metrics are truly changing.

I get playing a controllable 24 yo unproven player in a down year v paying millions for an aging veteran, to fill a hole to compete...

Maybe those players have just not lowered the asking price to where the market is...

CBA is up after the 2021 season. And yeah, the days of giving a 30ish player long term deals are probably over. Harper and Machado are actually still in their twenties though. All the additional analytical work being done is providing data that is causing more hesitation on giving out the big contracts.

Players and agents are definitely seeing this too. They will push to get players paid more at a younger age since the aging vets are now getting shorter contracts and less guaranteed money. Owners won't just give in and say ok. So yeah, we may be looking at a shutdown. Saw an article recently that the players % of the overall revenues is starting to drop, so there may also be a push to have a minimum team salary to help with that and also to keep teams from totally tanking and banking rolling the revenues for a season or two while they tank. Somehow, someway, players will be looking to make sure they aren't getting a declining percentage of the overall revenues.

KT 90
AG
Ryno01 said:

Definitely. Those long term guaranteed contracts are getting a lot harder to come by these days. Owners are waiting them out hoping to get those mid-level veterans on a one, two or maybe three year deal at the most.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Prince Fielder and 24,000,000 for 2019 and 2020 are two pretty good reasons
TXAggie2011
AG
Quote:

AT&T and Globe Life really don't compete for the same acts -- AT&T is only really going to land your mega-stars (like a U2), while Globe Life goes after the Paul McCartney's and Billy Joel's -- guys that otherwise would be playing at American Airlines Center.
I've been to a Paul McCartney concert at AT&T Stadium.
DallasAg 94
TXAggie2011 said:

Quote:

I've been to a Paul McCartney concert at AT&T Stadium.
10 years ago?

He isn't that big of a draw, anymore.

And it looks like it took in about 35K for the event.

Looking at the lineups...Globe Life, PetCo, Dodger Stadium, Lambeau... lots of outdoor facilities.

Pretty good play list, if you haven't gotten tickets, yet.
TMACsDaMan
https://www.lonestarball.com/2019/2/4/18205453/texas-rangers-name-change?fbclid=IwAR1zezv8-rt6yAuyZxSdFm60p0-dC_jeRzolYxa64atS8Pg54aA-8yHdodM

The writer of the article needs to be kicked in the balls so hard that he doesn't have the chance to infest the world.
sburg2007
That clown works at the ticket as a board op. Typical UTA moron. I'd pay no attention to him.
TMACsDaMan
If he knows whats good for him, he better not let Rhynes see this article...he'd fire him for it.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
That's one of the dumbest articles I've ever read.
Mr. White
In the comments, he said it IS a good idea to disassociate from law enforcement. Good grief.

Get rid of the solid blue jersey, the gaudy font, and put Rangers back on the home jerseys. Unless they ARE changing from the Rangers since it's never on the unis.
gomerschlep
AG
TMACsDaMan said:

https://www.lonestarball.com/2019/2/4/18205453/texas-rangers-name-change?fbclid=IwAR1zezv8-rt6yAuyZxSdFm60p0-dC_jeRzolYxa64atS8Pg54aA-8yHdodM

The writer of the article needs to be kicked in the balls so hard that he doesn't have the chance to infest the world.

Yeah get the **** out of here with this bull***** That was one of the stupidest things I've ever read and I wish I never clicked on it.
jkag89
As an Astros fan i agree 100%. Dumb, dumb, dumb. One of the few things the new owners did correctly after the move from Washington was the team name.
agent-maroon
AG
Being a Texan is something to be proud of, not something to run away from. **** this guy...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
DannyDuberstein
AG
Julie Dobbs, the chick that leapfrogged him to get the midday Ticket Ticker job, has more testosterone in her veins than beta male Sam Hale.

Apparently losing a job to a girl at a station that employed nothing but guys for 25 years can cause some identity searching, which apparently spilled over to him assessing the local baseball team.
sburg2007
Couldn't have sAid it better myself!
Proposition Joe
Beltre retirement ceremony SAT June 8th vs Oakland.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Mr. White said:

In the comments, he said it IS a good idea to disassociate from law enforcement. Good grief.

Get rid of the solid blue jersey, the gaudy font, and put Rangers back on the home jerseys. Unless they ARE changing from the Rangers since it's never on the unis.
Had to look at the comments to see that he was in fact dumber than I already thought. Wow.
DallasAg 94
Tinker tinker tinker...

If these ideas have been bantered around since November, I can see why some teams have been slow to move...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/mlb-union-discussing-significant-rule-changes.html

If your RP has to go 3 batters...

Roster of 26?
DH for all?

Certainly changes the team make-up.
Rossko
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

Tinker tinker tinker...

If these ideas have been bantered around since November, I can see why some teams have been slow to move...

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/02/mlb-union-discussing-significant-rule-changes.html

If your RP has to go 3 batters...

Roster of 26?
DH for all?

Certainly changes the team make-up.
I like how they are pushing for a "Kyler Murray" rule to allow dual sport athletes to sign Major league contracts right out of the draft as if it is such a common occurrence.
Rossko
AG
For those of you interested in farm system deep dives...

Rangers Top 50 Prospects
DallasAg 94
Rossko said:

For those of you interested in farm system deep dives...

Rangers Top 50 Prospects
It is a nice list, but I think if you put those names in a hat and draw them out and rank them... it is about as legit as anyone will publish this Spring. At least you kinda have a starting list to say, "Maybe I'll keep an eye out for him."

The problem I'm having is, 50% of the players are newly acquired via trade, 50% of the pitchers either are coming back from TJ or won't be back until mid-season, 50% of the players are retread players the Rangers have stuffed the upper levels with, non of the HS pitchers from June 2018 pitched and 50% of the players have been legit to follow in their minors.

It will likely take 2 months into the season, to truly gauge if the Rangers are on the right track, or spinning aimlessly. I think the fact none were listed as Tier 1, supports that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.