*****UnOfficial Texas Rangers Post-2018 Off-Season Thread****

80,518 Views | 719 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fuzzy Dunlop
aginlakeway
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone gave a suggestion for getting 4 tickets for the March 30 game vs Cubs? Thanks!
"I'm sure that won't make a bit of difference for those of you who enjoy a baseless rage over the decisions of a few teenagers."
Mr Gigem
AG
aginlakeway said:

Anyone gave a suggestion for getting 4 tickets for the March 30 game vs Cubs? Thanks!

Use the TexAgs discount code when I post it.
AggieDPT
AG
When will the single game tickets go on sale?
PatAg
AG
AccidentProne said:

aginlakeway said:

I hope you have gotten good value out of it, it's a great deal for us on this board.
Mr Gigem
AG
AggieDPT said:

When will the single game tickets go on sale?

Usually around late February/early March
Mr Gigem
AG
PatAg said:

AccidentProne said:

aginlakeway said:

I hope you have gotten good value out of it, it's a great deal for us on this board.

Glad y'all enjoy it. I get a little compensation out of it, but the most important thing is being able to help out fellow Ags
KT 90
AG
See link below for a pretty good high-level overview of the Rangers pitching prospects. From ready/almost ready for Arlington, to the recent trade acquisitions, to those recovering from injury, to a few that have fallen off, to low level top prospects to the recent draftees.

https://www.mlb.com/news/rangers-pitching-prospects-breakdown/c-302319084

KT 90
AG
If nothing else, this season the Scott Lucas email updates on the minor league prospects should be interesting to follow . The big league team will be a struggle overall, but hopefully the younger players on the team will energize things a bit and provide some hope for the future.

DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

See link below for a pretty good high-level overview of the Rangers pitching prospects. From ready/almost ready for Arlington, to the recent trade acquisitions, to those recovering from injury, to a few that have fallen off, to low level top prospects to the recent draftees.

https://www.mlb.com/news/rangers-pitching-prospects-breakdown/c-302319084
He practically lifted my work... and removed half my analysis.
DallasAg 94
KT 90 said:

If nothing else, this season the Scott Lucas email updates on the minor league prospects should be interesting to follow . The big league team will be a struggle overall, but hopefully the younger players on the team will energize things a bit and provide some hope for the future.
I may have to subscribe.
DallasAg 94
37 days until Feb 13 reporting date for ST.

It is getting pretty late into the off-season. Anything left for the Rangers to do? I think they'll sign 3-4 FA SPs to 1 year deals, where they will have a shot to make the rotation, get traded or get cut. 1 or 2 might even take a minor-league deal with a clause that allows them to be unconditionally released 4-6 weeks into the season, if they request.

Manny Machado (3B/SS), Bryce Harper (OF), Craig Kimbrel (Cl), Dallas Keuchel (SP), AJ Pollock (CF) and Yasmani Grandal (C) remain FAs.

Who is left bidding on them?

KT 90
AG
DallasAg 94 said:

37 days until Feb 13 reporting date for ST.

It is getting pretty late into the off-season. Anything left for the Rangers to do? I think they'll sign 3-4 FA SPs to 1 year deals, where they will have a shot to make the rotation, get traded or get cut. 1 or 2 might even take a minor-league deal with a clause that allows them to be unconditionally released 4-6 weeks into the season, if they request.

Manny Machado (3B/SS), Bryce Harper (OF), Craig Kimbrel (Cl), Dallas Keuchel (SP), AJ Pollock (CF) and Yasmani Grandal (C) remain FAs.

Who is left bidding on them?

No telling where the remaining big name free agent signee's land. Don't really follow it that closely since obviously the Rangers are taking the budget approach this season and aren't really trying to compete. Not in the running for any of them. Hopefully we will be using this "savings" next season to land a big name or two in 2020. Speaking of which... ran across this article previewing the potential 2020 free agents: https://www.mlb.com/news/2019-mlb-free-agents/c-302403844

Maybe Arenado at 3B to replace Beltre a year late? Surely we can find a way to spring for a decent SP, either one of the free agents or via a trade for someone already signed.

KT 90
AG
As for this season, at the moment I assume we are going with a rotation of Minor-Lynn-Volquez-Smyly-young arm (probably either YoMen or Jurado) unless somebody breaks down or gets traded. Been a number of articles about teams interested in Minor, so that would be your only trade possibility. Nobody is trading for any of the others unless they get off to a good start and prove themselves.

Otherwise, I assume JD is waiting out the market for the absolute bargains. Maybe we snag another starter on a one year deal and leave YoMen/Jurado in the minors to start the season. Or pull in another reliever or two.

DallasAg 94

I can't see the Rangers spending big on a 3B after 2019.

When you look at 2020... $82.7'ish already committed.

We'll have Minor still under contract, but I truly expect him to get traded before the season starts. Which reminds me... Choo should be easy to move by the ASB if he is off to a solid start.

Lance Lynn will be under contract for 2020 & 2021. Here is the deal, though. If he pitches by the ASB 2019 worthy of the rotation, then he gets traded. If not, then he is another spending noose to bring down future FA signings. I think he gets traded, at the ASB.

We have too much need at SP, to spend big on a 3B. Especially if we retain Andrus, Odor, Guzman, Mazara and Gallo.

Interesting our current Top 30 Prospects:

12 RHP; 7 LHP. 19 of 30 are Pitchers and AFAIK, only 2 are RPs (as of now). This will all change in the next couple months, but interesting to be that dense in pitching.

3. Cole Winn (RHP-19). 15th pick in 2018
4. Hans Crouse (RHP-20). 66th pick (2rd) in 2017
5. Jonathan Hernandez (RHP-22). ETA 2019
6. Brock Burke (LHP-22). ETA 2020. 3rd Rd 2014
7. Taylor Hearn (LHP-24). ETA 2019
8. Joe Palumbo (LHP-24). ETA 2020
9. Cole Ragans (LHP-21).
14. Owen White (RHP-19).
15. Tyler Phillips (RHP-21)
16. Jason Bahr (RHP-23). ETA 2020
17. CD Pelham (LHP:RP-23). ETA 2018/2019
18. Yohander Mendez (LHP-23). ETA 2018/2019
20. AJ Alexy (RHP-20). ETA 2020
22. Mason Englert (RHP-19)
25. Jordan Romano (RHP-25). ETA 2019
26. Kyle Cody (RHP-24)
27. Alex Speas (RHP:RP-20)
29. Jeffrey Springs (LHP:RP-26). ETA 2018/2019
30. Yerry Rodriguez (RHP-21).

toucan82
I hope that's enough time for everyone to get into the best shape of their life
mhayden
toucan82 said:

How dare you somehow imply that Kevin Millwood's off-season regimen of kickboxing won't catapult him to the ERA title for years to come!
KT 90
AG
toucan82 said:

No wonder Bartolo isn't coming back for another season!

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Rangers signing Shelby Miller.
KT 90
AG
Lucky #007 said:

Rangers signing Shelby Miller.

Yep, another TJ rehab returnee. Price is cheap, so why not. Here is a writeup: LINK

Quote:

The Rangers appear at this point to be slated for a Mike Minor/Lance Lynn/Drew Smyly/Edinson Volquez/Shelby Miller rotation...

At least now we can leave YoMen, Jurado, etc in the minors until they are ready. Assuming none of these break down or get traded.

jtstanley4621
AG
I feel like literally our entire pitching rotation has had TJ surgery at some point recently. Jeez.
_lefraud_
AG
Miller and I grew up in the same town, although he's a tad better at baseball then I was. Bro story cool.
DallasAg 94
DallasAg 94 said:

Anything left for the Rangers to do? I think they'll sign 3-4 FA SPs to 1 year deals, where they will have a shot to make the rotation, get traded or get cut. 1 or 2 might even take a minor-league deal with a clause that allows them to be unconditionally released 4-6 weeks into the season, if they request.
1. Shelby Miller
2. Next Up?
DallasAg 94
jtstanley4621 said:

I feel like literally our entire pitching rotation has had TJ surgery at some point recently. Jeez.
Pretty much...

Mike Minor had shoulder surgery. Missed all of 2015.
Lance Lynn had TJ in Nov 2015, missed all of 2016.
Shelby Miller had TJ in May 2017
Drew Smyly had TJ in July 2017.
Edinson Voluquez had TJ in Aug 2017.

This from a post a few weeks ago from me, in December.

Quote:

Alex Speas (surgery 6/2018 - 2nd Rd 2017),
Cole Ragans (surgery 3/2018 - 1st Rd in 2016),
Collin Wiles (Sup 1st Rder in 2012) and
Kyle Cody (surgery 7/2018 - 6th Rd 2016).
I guess JD is doing some real-world study. After all of those TJs in 2018, JD sent he 2018 drafted pitchers to do strengthening and conditioning and NOT to pitch. He wanted to evaluate the pitchers and make sure the staff worked with them, before letting them pitch.

At least one was outspoken that he was disappointed, but understood. JD has taken a ton of guys recovering the past couple years, so signing all these retreads make sense in his analysis.

I think it may have been John Hart that said if you sign a TJ guy, you sign him for 2 years. The 1st is a rehab and the 2nd is the value.
mhayden
We're not in A's-Moneyball-era anymore - it's no secret what teams are aiming to do when signing guys coming off of TJ - looking for the high upside and a nice flip for prospects.

Shelby is a 1-year deal though -- that's why he was signed for just $2m. He's auditioning this year for a FA contract, not rehabbing any longer.
CTL
AG
The Rangers are apparently doing a series of bobblehead giveaways this season highlighting the top moments of The Ballpark. What would you say were the top moments?
bigcat22
AG
CTL said:

The Rangers are apparently doing a series of bobblehead giveaways this season highlighting the top moments of The Ballpark. What would you say were the top moments?

Off the to of my head:

Rogers perfect game
Striking out Arod to go to the WS
Beltre 3000th hit
Sosa 600th HR
First Interleague game
Mozart Paintings
AG
Game 6 win over the tigers
Rossko
AG
bigcat22 said:

CTL said:

Off the to of my head:

Rogers perfect game
Beltre 3000th hit
Sosa 600th HR
First Interleague game
I was there for the perfect game and Beltre's 3,000th. I was also there for Game 4 when Holland shut down the Cardinals. That was an ELECTRIC atmosphere for sure. I also enjoyed the 1995 homerun derby that came down to Albert Belle vs. Frank Thomas in the finals. That one probably wouldn't be a top memory for the ballpark as much as a Rangers game would.
gomerschlep
AG
Quote:

I was there for this one. Probably one of the greatest sports moments of my life.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I was there for the perfect game as well. Missed the Rusty Greer diving catch because my grandfather made us leave to beat traffic.
Mozart Paintings
AG
Lucky #007 said:

I was there for the perfect game as well. Missed the Rusty Greer diving catch because my grandfather made us leave to beat traffic.

I would t claim that man.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
It was really weird because he was a huge sports guy. We gave him hell for it all the time. Even told that story at his wake. My uncle had called the next morning to talk to me about it because he knew we'd been there. When I told him we'd left he made me put my grandfather on the phone so he could WTF? In person.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
We also missed a brawl in the early 90s for the same reason back when they were still at Arlington Stadium. Apparently he really hated traffic.
Rossko
AG
Lucky #007 said:

We also missed a brawl in the early 90s for the same reason back when they were still at Arlington Stadium. Apparently he really hated traffic.
A friend of mine was also at the Nolan Ryan beatdown of Robin Ventura but left early for the same reason then heard the crowd going nuts from the parking lot.
CTL
AG
I was there for 2,999 and 3,001. They didn't do anything special for those hits...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.