*****UnOfficial Texas Rangers Post-2018 Off-Season Thread****

80,562 Views | 719 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fuzzy Dunlop
Rossko
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The only way I will ever be ok with artificial turf is if the Rangers are celebrating a World Series victory on it. Let's hope that happens at some point!
powerbelly
AG
AccidentProne said:

There are some people in this thread that didn't have a single post in the regular season thread, yet here they are in the offseason *****ing about something that has zero effect on the way they watch a baseball game. Amazing.

I'll say it again. When the Rangers win a division title and make a run in the playoffs, you won't care what the playing surface is
It absolutely effects the game watching experience.

We get it, you have to toe the company line. Hopefully concert sales are gangbusters.
TMACsDaMan
Well, baseball gods aren't gonna like this
Old Tom Morris
AccidentProne said:

There are some people in this thread that didn't have a single post in the regular season thread, yet here they are in the offseason *****ing about something that has zero effect on the way they watch a baseball game. Amazing.

I'll say it again. When the Rangers win a division title and make a run in the playoffs, you won't care what the playing surface is
LOL. This is directed at me, and I was a Ranger fan years before you were suckling your momma's titties. Quite frankly, I don't give a **** what you think and think it's funny you are taking criticism of a plastic field so personally.
Doug Glatt
AG

What's with Michael Young's being a part of ruining things I like?
Guess they'll get not another dime as well.....
powerbelly
AG
Doug Glatt said:

What's with Michael Young's being a part of ruining things I like?
Guess they'll get not another dime as well.....
A rangers employee speaking positive about turf... I'm shocked.
Old Tom Morris
I wonder if Young will get really spitfire mad at criticism of it.

BTW - roof should be open for everything but hot day games or if it's raining. Summer nights are great at the ballpark.
TMACsDaMan
So will the infield be dirt colored carpet too? Is the pitchers mound the only dirt? How about the warning tracks, home plate area, and base paths? Dirt colored carpet?

powerbelly
AG
TMACsDaMan said:

So will the infield be dirt colored carpet too? Is the pitchers mound the only dirt? How about the warning tracks, home plate area, and base paths? Dirt colored carpet?

Basepaths will be clay, the statement doesn't speak to warning track.
Bones08
AG
I'm optimistic but skeptical. I will take a wait-and-see approach rather than go all Chicken Little.
powerbelly
AG
TMACsDaMan said:

Here is your answer:

AgBQ-00
AG
What is the point of a warning track if there is no texture difference from the "grass"? Thought that was part of the WARNING
TXAggie2011
AG
If they could rip off most of the stadium design from Minute Maid Park, I'm positive they could have ripped off the grass they use in Houston, too.

Arlington doesn't really need another concert venue and I don't believe Arlington voters ponied up half a billion dollars and let the team out of the Ballpark lease early for the franchise to cut any corners in making the best baseball experience possible.
powerbelly
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

What is the point of a warning track if there is no texture difference from the "grass"? Thought that was part of the WARNING
Hopefully the fill is different texture. If not, the claim that they care about player safety seems false.
Old Tom Morris
That warning track stuff looks like running track material, so I assume it would feel different.
AgBQ-00
AG
Looking at the picture bigger it is just shorter "grass" material that is brown.
Old Tom Morris
I just blew it up. You are right. It's like running from pubes in 90s to pubes in the 00s. Hopefully they'll notice before eating the wall.
double aught
AG
Quite the poet
Schall 02
AG
Boo. Only thing worse I can think of is advertisements on uniforms. Just a matter of time I'm sure.
double aught
AG
AccidentProne said:

I'm one of those people. I've been quiet about the team because I don't really enjoy conversing about them when they're down. But this plan is so stupid that it deserves to be derided.
AstroAggie15
AG
Friendly Houston fan here. Hold your fire.

Was really looking forward to catching a game at the new park. A total bummer to hear it's going to be plastic turf.

Can't beat the smell of fresh grass on opening day.
Rossko
AG
Wow, that turf looks identical to real grass. I didn't even realize it was artificial until I read the caption.
Mr Gigem
AG
I'll admit I'm pretty disappointed in the warning decision. Hopefully it does have a different feel since that is the whole point of a warning track
_lefraud_
AG
Old Tom Morris said:

I wonder if Young will get really spitfire mad at criticism of it.

BTW - roof should be open for everything but hot day games or if it's raining. Summer nights are great at the ballpark.

Not going to happen. They'll have some bs "policy" that says they can't open the roof it X happens, or if Y is occurring. A retractable roof is like having that really nice dining room that gets used maybe twice a year.

Just another giant FU to the tax payers of Arlington.
BarryProfit
AccidentProne said:

I suggest you all read that release entirely. Forget everything you know about turf because the surface at Globe Life Field will be nothing like the artificial turf you see in other stadiums
Chipotlemonger
AG
I haven't posted as much recently on the Rangers threads, but I too am a fan that does not like the turf decision.

That stupid off season golf hole crap they did on the field definitely did not help us to keep grass.

Can't wait to visit Texas Live! Except, the grass itself isn't really alive anymore!
Old Tom Morris
Watching the news coverage tonight and got a better look. This field is gonna be shiny under the lights, which is one of my issues with the fake fields. They tend to look their worst under the lights.

And they should call it a brown track vs a warning track, as no warning is gonna be involved.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
Man, I'm bummed out over this decision. I just don't understand how the team makes this decision. Does anyone actually like baseball and the traditions of baseball? I'll cut them some slack on the indoor stadium because Texas summers are brutal, but I won't cut them any slack on the artificial grass.
TV Casualty
AG
Can we get a National League team in Fort Worth and build a real ballpark?

I'm not looking forward to an always enclosed minute maid clone with a plastic field.

The Rangers are really testing me with the decisions they have made over the last few years.
alvtimes
I see the clown show continues!!!! Hey I know.... lets make a cool concert venue that we can also play baseball games in!!!!!
EllisCoAg
AG
can they rake in cool designs? one of the cool things about real grass is the mowing direction and creative designs they can come up with.
I wanna see our defense pissed off, not confused, maybe a little murder in their hearts Reload12, 11/4/11
Corporal Punishment
AG
free_mhayden said:

I'd wager this means that roof aint gonna be open for more a week or two all season either.
Agreed...

As much as I hate to use the Astros for comparison, even with their natural grass, they had only 14 open roof regular season games in 2017. So basically, we were going to be screwed either way.

So...
Shhtty AL West team: CHECK
Roof: CHECK
Fake grass: CHECK

It's like the Astros have become to the Rangers and the Rangers have become the Astros. Maybe we can have a rodeo at the new field.

I ****ing hate this.

Quote:

There are some people in this thread that didn't have a single post in the regular season thread, yet here they are in the offseason *****ing
Admitttedly, I didn't post much after May, but then again, why would I?

Quote:

Can't beat the smell of fresh grass on opening day.
This. From from an Astros fan no less. Spot on.
Quote:

A retractable roof is like having that really nice dining room that gets used maybe twice a year.
Holy shht. This is perfect.
Mr Gigem
AG
I have to remove myself from this conversation. It's apparent that too many of y'all are ready to make snap judgments and not even willing to consider giving this thing a chance. FYI, they are rolling on this same turf in Arizona this season. It will be a great litmus test to see how it performs, and then make any changes necessary before installing it in Globe Life Field.

I've said it before, this will not be like anything ever seen before. Based off of years of research, this turf is supposed to play exactly like natural grass, if not better.

That's all I'm going to say about that.

The coupon code for discount tickets this year will be texags19, so feel free to save that. If you have questions regarding tickets, PM me.
powerbelly
AG
You cant play better than natural grass. The shaw marketing team is working overtime apparently.
Corporal Punishment
AG
I would have more respect for them if they just admitted it was a financial decision instead of treating us like ree-tards

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.