************* Houston Rockets 22-23 Season thread *************

94,238 Views | 1176 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Max Power
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
LMAO.
Woods Ag
AG
That photo is hilarious.. would you make the call if you were Houston? We know they were shopping OG. I wouldn't mind the conversation to see what it'd take. That's a pretty tough core for a coach I think values that. And defense to hide Harden.

y'all are right, I don't really want Reaves. That Linsanity comparison scared the shot out of me.

Guitarsoup
AG
Toronto turned down Dillon Brooks and 3 firsts for him. So they want a lot, and more than he is worth.

I think Reaves could be a good pickup, but he is also restricted and the Lakers need depth, so they likely pay whatever they have to to keep him right now.
Marvin
AG
I hope Houston gets Harden if that's who you guys really want. I doubt you'll get the Harden you think you'll be getting, and I am 100% confident it won't make a hill of beans to their playoff chances, plus it will disrupt the progress of younger talent, but have at it. I see many 11-30 shooting games that the Rockets lose by 12.

Freedom to be who he is. Criminy, how anyone can not see that for the flashing "STAY THE HELL AWAY" sign that it is is beyond me, but some of you guys spend money on the Rockets and deserve the chance to be entertained. I hope it works out for you... but I won't be holding my breath!!!

I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
Woods Ag
AG
I agree . It seems that's what they want tho
HotardRat
AG
Marvin said:

it won't make a hill of beans to their playoff chances

Playoffs?!

I don't give a damn about "how we'll look in the playoffs" right now. We've been in the absolute basement for 3 years. How about we get out of there first? Harden can help us do that.
1876er
AG
You guys are crazy.
Rockets with Harden: playoff team and regular contender for the WCF

Rockets without Harden: worst team in the league.

He may not be the same Harden as 2018, but he's still a top 20 player. What other top 20 player could the rockets get?
Guitarsoup
AG
HotardRat said:

Marvin said:

it won't make a hill of beans to their playoff chances

Playoffs?!

I don't give a damn about "how we'll look in the playoffs" right now. We've been in the absolute basement for 3 years. How about we get out of there first? Harden can help us do that.

At 4y200mm, he's going to block the team from adding young, talented role players. It will be just like Dallas and Luka. You need depth and role players and you won't get it with him like that.

The problems with him showing up a little out of shape at the off-season likely compound as he ages and has a guaranteed $200mm until he's 38.

He's never been a reliable or great playoff performer and just like this year, he has two great games and 5 <17 point games in the semis.

If your main concern is getting from 20 to 40 wins, then he helps.

If your main concern is growing the skill level and character of the young players, playing great defense and team ball, and building a championship-contending team, I don't think he helps that.
HotardRat
AG
Quote:

At 4y200mm, he's going to block the team from adding young, talented role players

Like who?? I keep asking what the other options are, but no one has yet to present one. "Young, talented role players" don't exactly grow on trees, and to get them, you have to pay starting 5 money.
Woods Ag
AG
So your suggestion is to bring in a cancer... a literal ****ing cancer to lead a bunch of young, talented kids.. That's going to go really well...

Do you remember him being fat as **** and literally quitting on this team the first time? Do you remember him doing it to Brooklyn, as well? Do you remember the countless disappearing acts that Harden has done throughout his career? How about that every decent player that has come to play with him quickly gets the **** out of dodge as soon as they can.

What are the positives of him coming here? Maybe we win 40 games next year so he can disappear in the playoffs again? The next year he's 35? Do you think he's going to age well given that he doesn't give a damn about health and fitness?

It's literally the worst idea you can have. It's such a short-sighted, immediate gratification seeking idea.. But you're not going to get the gratification. It will be a failure and you're going to hurt the development of the other guys we have.
Guitarsoup
AG
HotardRat said:

Quote:

At 4y200mm, he's going to block the team from adding young, talented role players

Like who?? I keep asking what the other options are, but no one has yet to present one. "Young, talented role players" don't exactly grow on trees, and to get them, you have to pay starting 5 money.

Jaylen Brown is a free agent next year. So is OG Anunuby.

Dejounte Murray
Nic Clayton
LaMeloBall
Kcp
Tyrese Haliburton
Paul George
Kawhi
Anthony Davis
Demond Bane
Jrue
Anthony Edwards
Maxey
Sabonis

Some role players some stars. None the Rockets will have a chance with if Harden if getting $50mm
Woods Ag
AG
I don't like some of the guys on that list, but I would take every single one of them over Harden.
Guitarsoup
AG
Woods Ag said:

I don't like some of the guys on that list, but I would take every single one of them over Harden.

You also have to look at things like what teams are going to blow up.

Plus your Boston was in the finals. This year they're getting smoked by number eight Miami and it's expected that they're going to fire their coach and make major roster changes.

It's impossible to tell what teams just going to blow things up because they screw up or they just don't gel together.

Having a guy like Harden on the roster clogs up your team's ability to make movements and it probably makes a lot of players and not want to come to Houston. We're not talking about 20 something harden when he could bring in someone like Dwight Howard at the end of his peak. Teams are going to see the lack of salary cap flexibility in an increasingly out of shape James Harden and a team that either loses the play in or the first round.

Personally, I don't think that's a sexy destination for most players that are looking for a ring

And if Harden takes a 200 million contract to come to Houston, I don't think he's doing it because he thinks that's his best shot at winning.

What's the goal here? Do you want to make the playoffs just to lose in the first round or do you want to try to put in players that have a better shot of getting you to the finals?
Aggie09Derek
AG
He's not a top 20 player right now
Guitarsoup
AG
Last time harden made an All-NBA team was in the bubble.

HotardRat
AG
17th in the league in Win Shares, so yes he is.
Guitarsoup
AG
Harden came in 28th in all NBA voting this year.

He was lucky that they voted before game six and seven
Guitarsoup
AG
HotardRat said:

17th in the league in Win Shares, so yes he is.

Nic Claxon was 9th.

Is Nic Claxton a top 10 player?

Jarrett Allen was 8th.

Is Jarrett a top ten player?
Woods Ag
AG
Agreed. If the we have all this cap flexibility and there isn't the right players to spend it on this year, then you wait a year. By all accounts its a terrible FA year. That's ok, more playing time for the young guys, bring in a couple of old vets on 1 year deals that take up minimal minutes but can provide examples to the young group and let's go.

You said "your" Boston, but Boston isn't my team. I was cheering them on last year with Rob Williams, btu for some reason I haven't been a fan of theirs all year. It's a different team with the same players. Very weird.

Jimmy B has always been a favorite, so I am happy as hell for him, and it's really fun to watch the Nuggets play basketball. This playoffs has been good for me lol

1876er
AG
Guitarsoup said:

We'll I don't think Luka or Steph are options, so Harden will have to do.
Woods Ag
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
1876er said:

Guitarsoup said:

We'll I don't think Luka or Steph are options, so Harden will have to do.

This type of thinking is how you destroy a team's chances of ever making the finals with players on the current roster
Woods Ag
AG
I wouldn't want Luka either unless he wants to give up the ball some.. to put him and Steph in the same sentence is blasphemy.
1876er
AG
Woods Ag said:

I wouldn't want Luka either unless he wants to give up the ball some.. to put him and Steph in the same sentence is blasphemy.

HotardRat
AG
Perhaps there should be a split of this thread. One for people who are just going to ***** about Harden all day, and one for people who are accepting the reality of our situation and moving on to find the positives.
HotardRat
AG
Yes.
Woods Ag
AG
we have directly opposing views on about everything I would assume.
Guitarsoup
AG
HotardRat said:

Perhaps there should be a split of this thread. One for people who are just going to ***** about Harden all day, and one for people who are accepting the reality of our situation and moving on to find the positives.

Call it the "Happy just to have a first round exit and stripper stories" Thread and "Trying to win a championship" Thread
Aggie09Derek
AG
Or ones that understand ball and those that don't.

I want to win a 'ship
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
HotardRat said:

Ayyyyyy. This is what TF I'm talmbout. The discourse in the thread of a last place team being annoying enough to justify a thread split is hilarious. On the cusp of the Finals, no less - which is a series the Rockets won't be able to even sniff at least six years out from now and that's only IF every single right thing falls into place.

The board just might be back.
HotardRat
AG
Back until we drop 8 of our first 10 games.
CFTXAG10
AG
If anything, like HNIC, I am just happy to see some traffic on the Rockets thread again. Good or bad.
WES2006AG
AG
Maybe James makes us better but as someone who defended his antics for way too long when he was here I just don't want to root for him again.
CFTXAG10
AG
WES2006AG said:

Maybe James makes us better but as someone who defended his antics for way too long when he was here I just don't want to root for him again.
I feel the same way. I defended him a ton, and honestly still do based on past achievements. He didn't win here, but he came damn close. Some of the seasons he had, including the MVP one were historic. Sure as hell beats the mess we are in now. However, he is not the same player, and it definitely feels as others have mentioned to be a stunt to sell tickets. We would be better off to steer clear.
Aggie09Derek
AG
This

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.