************* Houston Rockets 22-23 Season thread *************

98,823 Views | 1176 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Max Power
CFTXAG10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got to talk to Rudy T out at the Houston Open today. Apparently he lives about a mile from Memorial now. Super nice guy. Sounds like he's going to be more involved in the community moving forward.
1876er
AG
gordo97 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

GigEmMortis said:

Beating Orlando doesn't help our chances at landing the #1 pick! WTF guys?!
The NBA might notice the 1-81 season record.

Exactly…. You gotta win at least 1 game every other week

Y'all realize the worst team only has a14% chance at the number one pick right? That isn't really worth tanking. This team is truly just awful.
WES2006AG
AG
1876er said:

gordo97 said:

The Porkchop Express said:

GigEmMortis said:

Beating Orlando doesn't help our chances at landing the #1 pick! WTF guys?!
The NBA might notice the 1-81 season record.

Exactly…. You gotta win at least 1 game every other week

Y'all realize the worst team only has a14% chance at the number one pick right? That isn't really worth tanking. This team is truly just awful.
Yea, we have regressed. Silas needs to go before he ruins these young guys.
AG@RICE
AG
I'm not sure a better coach is going to help us win more than handful of games. The overall ball handling on the team is very weak. Lots of errant passes, poor dribbling and lapses in judgement. Opposing teams can easily blitz our backcourt and wings to cause turnovers. This is obviously a product of both youth and not having an actual point guard on the team.

Certainly a better coach might design a better scheme, but the players actually have to run it. Due to our lack of ball-handling skills, its pretty much going to be a challenge no matter who draws on the whiteboard. Silas might be costing us 8-10 wins this year, but I'm ok with it.

You are correct that finishing last place isn't as nice as it use to be. This year we would only have a 14% chance of getting Wemby. However, 10 extra wins doesn't get you in the playoffs and cuts those odds in half. I'm really not that desperate for a moral victory. Trust the process.

Ags #1
AG
Smith with 7 points
GigEmMortis
AG
Ags #1 said:

Smith with 7 points

Jalen got off to a slow start last year as well and really came on strong to finish out the year. Sometimes these guys just take a little bit to adjust to the NBA. He'll be fine, he just just needs to keep getting consistent minutes
Ags #1
AG
Well he will get plenty of minutes. Jalen was 19 so knew he would need to adjust. Thought since smith was more experienced he wouldnt need as much time. Cleary he does need that tjme
Ryan34
AG
Ags #1 said:

Well he will get plenty of minutes. Jalen was 19 so knew he would need to adjust. Thought since smith was more experienced he wouldnt need as much time. Cleary he does need that tjme

Jabari is younger than Jalen was last year.
Ags #1
AG
Lol didnt know that. Felt like he was at auburn forever.
AG@RICE
AG
It's going to be tougher for Jabari to get points as a rook than Jalen Green. The most obvious conclusion after watching Jabari at Auburn is that he is point guard dependent. He needs a good guard to make space for him. Right now his guard play is basically equivalent to what he had at Auburn, hot garbage. I honestly think he has already recognized his guards blow and he is just opting to shoot less and focus on other aspects of his game. He isn't really forcing bad shots, he is just trying to fit in. He isn't scoring a bunch, but he did nab 15 rebounds against the pelicans.

We will have to judge his progress using non-scoring metrics.
GigEmMortis
AG
I agree with this assessment. I'm also not sold on Silas, and I wonder if his head coach isn't doing him many favors by putting him in positions to be a threat on offense.

It's hard to draw conclusions on the coaching staff when the average age of our team is early 20's, I acknowledge that. But I've been very unimpressed with him and his staff, and I wonder if a change in scheme/philosophy could help Jabari settle in a bit better
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
A change in scheme/philosophy requires that they actually have either of those in place to start and judging by last night's game, it doesn't look that way. I'm over Silas.
AG@RICE
AG
Unless we get a new PG, the coach or the sets really wont matter. Almost every team has a guard that can disrupt KPJ and get him off the intended play before crossing half court. It just descends to chaos after that.
CoachRTM
AG
Only 1.5 games behind Lebron and the Lakers

Don't give up yet!
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
I would agree with this. KPJ ain't it. In the one or two times I saw them try to set up basic high pick-and-roll and our screener got muscled out of the play, instead of looking for a quick pass and reset or just passing the ball period, he just descends into one-on-one dribble and throw it up. He stacked his box, but that was the worst 20/7/3 slash line I've ever watched.

Even using Al P as a homeless man's Jokic to run the set would be preferable, but Silas can't/won't do or enforce it.
AG@RICE
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

I would agree with this. KPJ ain't it. In the one or two times I saw them try to set up basic high pick-and-roll and our screener got muscled out of the play, instead of looking for a quick pass and reset or just passing the ball period, he just descends into one-on-one dribble and throw it up. He stacked his box, but that was the worst 20/7/3 slash line I've ever watched.

Even using Al P as a homeless man's Jokic to run the set would be preferable, but Silas can't/won't do or enforce it.
When Sengun plays, he is actually amazing. He is #17 in PER in the entire league! He just can't stay out of foul trouble (3rd highest Fouls/36min for players over 300 minutes). I actually think Silas wants everything to flow through him when he is in the game, he just can't stay on the floor. Again, another thing I hope improves with age.
AG@RICE
AG
Nice team win. They put on a block party! 19!....one less than the number of turnovers though...
WES2006AG
AG
If we are only going to win a handful of games it is a nice bonus to beat the Mavs.
Ags #1
AG
Still hard to watch them. So sloppy
ATM9000
AG
AG@RICE said:

I'm not sure a better coach is going to help us win more than handful of games. The overall ball handling on the team is very weak. Lots of errant passes, poor dribbling and lapses in judgement. Opposing teams can easily blitz our backcourt and wings to cause turnovers. This is obviously a product of both youth and not having an actual point guard on the team.

Certainly a better coach might design a better scheme, but the players actually have to run it. Due to our lack of ball-handling skills, its pretty much going to be a challenge no matter who draws on the whiteboard. Silas might be costing us 8-10 wins this year, but I'm ok with it.

You are correct that finishing last place isn't as nice as it use to be. This year we would only have a 14% chance of getting Wemby. However, 10 extra wins doesn't get you in the playoffs and cuts those odds in half. I'm really not that desperate for a moral victory. Trust the process.

I disagree some with this. There's a skill to finding ways to win basketball games. I don't know that a career NBA coach is the best to develop that skill rather than more of a collegiate coach. I know they are young, but I've seen no evidence that Green or Smith have the winning skill and little evidence that Silas knows how to teach it.
ATM9000
AG
AG@RICE said:

It's going to be tougher for Jabari to get points as a rook than Jalen Green. The most obvious conclusion after watching Jabari at Auburn is that he is point guard dependent. He needs a good guard to make space for him. Right now his guard play is basically equivalent to what he had at Auburn, hot garbage. I honestly think he has already recognized his guards blow and he is just opting to shoot less and focus on other aspects of his game. He isn't really forcing bad shots, he is just trying to fit in. He isn't scoring a bunch, but he did nab 15 rebounds against the pelicans.

We will have to judge his progress using non-scoring metrics.
… at some point it's not the guards… it's the player.
canadiaggie
AG
Watching the Hawks start all that **** just to lose to the Houston Baby Rockets was gold
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Was there last night and that was the most fun I'd had a Rockets game in a long time.
AG@RICE
AG
2 in a row!!!!

Sengun and Green are coming along nicely.
WES2006AG
AG
Winning streak
shano0603
AG
This is ugly
AG@RICE
AG
ANOTHER WIN ON THE ROAD AGAINST A GOOD TEAM!!!!

3-2 over the last 5 games with wins over the Suns and Hawks.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Anyone looking for good seats or seats in general for games coming up give me a shout. Have access to some good stuff for reasonable prices.

Username@gmail or pm me
WES2006AG
AG
Good win last night. Nice to see Jalen play better in the 2nd half after a really rough 1st half.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Anyone wanting to go tonight? Tickets are dirt cheap and Harden is supposed to play.
Ags #1
AG
What station we on?
AG@RICE
AG
Another nice win!

(F you james...)
GigEmMortis
AG
We're starting to get too good for our own good
WES2006AG
AG
This team has been borderline unwatchable for most of season but they seem to have turned a corner. They are still bad but they are at least competitive in most games at this point.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Go Rockets!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.