************* Houston Rockets 22-23 Season thread *************

98,820 Views | 1176 Replies | Last: 8 mo ago by Max Power
Woods Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A couple of things:

1. He looked petrified at points in the playoffs this year.
2. There are only a FEW players, that were superstars and as they aged they reinvented their game. I haven't seen anything about James Harden that says he's one of those guys. Chris Paul got better at spot of shooting, so did Jason Kidd... both were true point guards and unbelievably intelligent basketball players that learned to play off ball a little more so the game didn't ahve to flow thru them constantly. James is a scorer that passed when he had to. While talented at that, it's not his first option and I doubt it becomes that.
Woods Ag
AG
He's spot on... Maybe I am Chris Mannix.
Woods Ag
AG
I'm happy with either Scoot or Miller.

KPJ
Green
Brandon Miller
Jabari Smith
Sengun
Eason

that's a young, nasty 6 man team...
coastalAg
AG
Woods Ag said:

A couple of things:

1. He looked petrified at points in the playoffs this year.
2. There are only a FEW players, that were superstars and as they aged they reinvented their game. I haven't seen anything about James Harden that says he's one of those guys. Chris Paul got better at spot of shooting, so did Jason Kidd... both were true point guards and unbelievably intelligent basketball players that learned to play off ball a little more so the game didn't ahve to flow thru them constantly. James is a scorer that passed when he had to. While talented at that, it's not his first option and I doubt it becomes that.

1. Im not worried about playoffs, this team has won 20 games for three years straight. I want 2-3 years of consistent regular season production. I dont have visions of James Harden leading this group to a championship.

2. He has averaged over 10 assists a game the last three years and ranked #2, #2, and #1 in the league in that time.
Guitarsoup
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

This is an avenue I wouldn't mind exploring. Not sure what it would take, but I like his game.

Going after Bridges or #3?

I don't think Houston has the win-now guys for #3 and I think the Nets are building around Bridges as their "star"

Both would be hard to get for anyone
CFTXAG10
AG
Woods Ag said:

I'm happy with either Scoot or Miller.

KPJ
Green
Brandon Miller
Jabari Smith
Sengun
Eason

that's a young, nasty 6 man team...
Problem is that Wemby is going 1 and then Miller/Scoot probably 2/3. We can hope they screw it up in front of us but likely not going to get one of the clear cut best 3 in the draft.
Woods Ag
AG
Read something that said Amen really helped himself at the combine and he could be in the conversation for the 2-3 pick.

Still, I would like us to explore all options to trade up to 2-3 to ensure one of those 2 guys.
CFTXAG10
AG
Guitarsoup said:

CFTXAG10 said:

This is an avenue I wouldn't mind exploring. Not sure what it would take, but I like his game.

I don't think Houston has the win-now guys for #3 and I think the Nets are building around Bridges as their "star"

Im not sure who is floating Bridges out there (Nets or Portland), but if he is being made available I wouldn't mind pursuing a trade that works for both parties. Problem being, we gotta have something they like and it definitely means parting with the #4 pick but stranger things have happened
Guitarsoup
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Guitarsoup said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Im not sure who is floating Bridges out there (Nets or Portland), but if he is being made available I wouldn't mind pursuing a trade that works for both parties. Problem being, we gotta have something they like and it definitely means parting with the #4 pick but stranger things have happened

I'm sure Portland is. Bridges put up 26ppg for Brooklyn and is a great defender
CFTXAG10
AG
Woods Ag said:

Read something that said Amen really helped himself at the combine and he could be in the conversation for the 2-3 pick.

Still, I would like us to explore all options to trade up to 2-3 to ensure one of those 2 guys.
I agree. I wish I could be a fly on the wall in Portland's GM office. If they keep Dame they don't need Scoot. Charlotte has Ball. He might very well fall to us at 4 if we just stand pat, but Id rather not risk it if a worthwhile trade is there.
Guitarsoup
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Woods Ag said:

I agree. I wish I could be a fly on the wall in Portland's GM office. If they keep Dame they don't need Scoot. Charlotte has Ball. He might very well fall to us at 4 if we just stand pat, but Id rather not risk it if a worthwhile trade is there.

Zero chance Scoot falls to 4
Ryan34
AG
Nets aren't trading Bridges unless we give them their picks back. They have no incentive to tank.
CFTXAG10
AG
Guitarsoup said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Woods Ag said:

I wouldn't think so either, but I also think its contingent on Portland. Wemby goes to SA, Charlotte takes Miller since they already have Ball, and that leaves Portland at 3 with Dame on the roster. Either trade Dame and draft Scoot or keep Dame and trade #3 to another team willing to give you some pieces to put around Dame.
Guitarsoup
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

Guitarsoup said:

CFTXAG10 said:

Woods Ag said:

I wouldn't think so either, but I also think its contingent on Portland. Wemby goes to SA, Charlotte takes Miller since they already have Ball, and that leaves Portland at 3 with Dame on the roster. Either trade Dame and draft Scoot or keep Dame and trade #3 to another team willing to give you some pieces to put around Dame.

Even if Portland doesn't want Scoot, they aren't passing on him.

If Houston wants to move up one slot, the best bet is probably to use cap space and find a third team.

So maybe something like this

Houston gives up #4 to Phoenix
Houston gives up #23 to Portland

Phoenix sends Ayton to Portland

Portland sends Nurkic, little and #3 to Houston

CFTXAG10
AG
At first glance, thats not too shabby
coastalAg
AG

Aggie09Derek
AG
Who is that?
Woods Ag
AG
Not sure how this works but it accepted both trades I put in. Is it saying this is fair value or just that the numbers work?

Aggie09Derek
AG
Sure they work on paper, in reality no chance for either. More to trades than just making $ work.
Woods Ag
AG
That's what I'm asking. What is this thing taking into account? Is it just a money thing? If so it's useless… if they're trying to assign value to players and picks, I'd like to see how that's done.

I wouldn't say no chance. They were shopping OG. Barnes didn't take the jump they hoped in year 2. I think he's still got great potential and we're buying low. From a rockets standpoint it's a no brainer. The Raptors just fired their coach. They want off of a few players, this gives them that chance to reboot. I could see them saying hell no for sure, but I'd reply "ok, what else?"

The other one… if charlotte did it then I'd probably take Miller and figure out a point guard.
M.C. Swag
AG
Ya it's just telling you that the trade is financially feasible.
Woods Ag
AG
Well then that site is dog***** Thanks for clarifying lol. Ignore what I posted
Guitarsoup
AG
CFTXAG10 said:

At first glance, thats not too shabby

Portland upgrades at center and Ayton is best playing PnR , which he would match well with Lillard.

Portland also dumps the Nurkic and Little contacts and has the #20 and #23 picks, that could possibly be moved for anothe vet or to move up in the draft.

Houston gets more depth and either Scoot or Miller.

Phoenix cuts major salary (they have super tax issues right now) and can take Amen to get a versatile wing/combo that can cover for lack of defense with Booker/Paul.

Edit: not sure why I used that emoji other than it's my resting ***** face
Woods Ag
AG
Yeah. I don't hate it at all
Caleb12
Bruce brown, Eric gordon, tyrese maxey, nic claxton. The list continues of players who have lauded hardens ability as a teammate.
Woods Ag
AG
What are they supposed to say when asked?
Guitarsoup
AG
CFTXAG10
AG
I've seen/heard rumors that Harden's mom still lives in Houston and is battling an illness which adds to the reasoning James wants to be back and closer to her for most of the season
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Caleb12 said:

Bruce brown, Eric gordon, tyrese maxey, nic claxton. The list continues of players who have lauded hardens ability as a teammate.

Since there is a lot of overlap with their past couple of teams, you can contrast these kind of quotes with what the same Philly and Brooklyn locker rooms say/said about Ben Simmons. So yeah, players are more transparent these days when talking about bad locker room guys when asked. At the very least, it's clear when reading between the lines when something is messed up.
Woods Ag
AG
Bruce Brown - Role player - he's not going to trash Harden bc if it comes down to Harden or him on a tema inthe future the team is going with harden.

Eric Gordon - of course he loves harden. Look at that fat ass - he benefitted from having harden run the show and allow him to be an out of shape fat boy making bank.

Tyrese Maxey - He's is current teammate and the 76ers HAVE to bring bring him back. They don't have a choice as they will lose the asset and not have the cap space to replace it.

I watched the first few minutes of that video this morning while getting my kid ready. All the bad stuff that was said was from the author. The worst thing the players said was when Giannis said "I want someone that will pass"

There's going to be times when it's ok to trash a player and then you have a couple of guys that just don't care. But these guys are trained on how to answer questions and not create a controversy. It doesn't help you at all to trash Harden, so just toe the line and go about your business.
1876er
AG
So everything was great in Brooklyn after Harden left, right? KD and Kyrie are still there winning championships?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Kyrie is a much bigger front office nightmare than Harden…which is saying something
Woods Ag
AG
How much was Jaylon Brown's stock hurt by this playoff season? Is it finally out there this dude may be the only NBA wing in the league that can't dribble?
HotardRat
AG
I definitely don't want him at a max deal anymore, that's for sure.
Woods Ag
AG
The new CBA is going to wreck teams. The rockets need to be patient and they'll have the opp to grab good players.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.