************* Houston Rockets 22-23 Season thread *************

93,437 Views | 1176 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Max Power
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At Toyota right now and this has been a very unpleasant evening.
agdaddy04
AG
Ouch
Unemployed
AG
We're tanking so no biggie but come on, ref. Terrible call.

* Edit * I take it back. EG brushed his leg on the way up. EG is a dumbass.

https://streamable.com/jtnsd2
Aggie09Derek
AG
Definitely a foul, epic collapse last few seconds.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Volume offensive guy and isn't efficient at all. Sure can put up points but what good is that if taking away from your better options to do so.

There is a reason keeps getting traded. In GS he was decent because had to play within their system.
Iowaggie
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Definitely a foul, epic collapse last few seconds.
I'm not so sure about definitely a foul.

If it's not called, the L2M report would call it a Correct No Call.
Since it was called, the L2M report will call it a Correct Call.

Of course, if Lakers were involved, the league would remorsefully share the call was wrong.

Aggie09Derek
AG

Great for future Nets picks. What years do we get them?
WES2006AG
AG
Ready for those Nets picks now.
WES2006AG
AG

CFTXAG10
AG
Wow. Good for the Suns. CP3-Booker-Durant-Ayton. Gonna be tough to beat that. Just need to get healthy and stay healthy

Also...LMAO

Aggie09Derek
AG
So 2 for sure picks and maybe 1 swap that is decent difference
WES2006AG
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

So 2 for sure picks and maybe 1-2 more.
This year's pick swap won't matter but hopefully we are decent enough that the one in 2025 does.
Harry Dunne
Weird position the Nets have gotten themselves in. They're going to still be solid and a playoff team moving forward, but nowhere near enough talent to contend for a title and can't see any superstars headed there now after how this has gone down. Since hardly any of their future picks are their own now I guess there is no point to them tanking though.

This is better for us than the "big 3" staying together and making our picks low, but I still don't think we'll end up with any better than middle of the 1st round picks. All in all, I'll take it.

Harry Dunne
Aggie09Derek said:

Volume offensive guy and isn't efficient at all. Sure can put up points but what good is that if taking away from your better options to do so.

There is a reason keeps getting traded. In GS he was decent because had to play within their system.
I don't disagree, what you're describing is not "trash". He's a solid player in the right system and role. He keeps getting traded because he's a terrible defender and a good scorer but not good enough to compensate. He'll be fine taking Russ' role as the 2nd team shot gobbler without all the baggage and turnovers.

He's a top 100 NBA player and closer to 50 on the right team. I'm not saying he's a HOFer but he's not trash. IMO the "he's basura" gente is either regurgitating someone else's opinion or doesn't watch enough basketball to know they're wrong.

Sorry to derail the Rockets thread with "other NBA" talk. We can just agree to disagree on this one.
Aggie09Derek
AG
What metric are you thinking he's anywhere near a top 50 player?

Tons of guys putting up less points that are MUCH better players than him. At some point have to be efficient. He's a negative add to a team (not saying for Lakers because they got rid of another negative) especially for what kind of salary he takes up when factoring in what else they could get for the same $$.
Harry Dunne
Give me what metric makes him trash. You've got a lot of opinions but nothing to back them up other than feelings.

At his best and in the best system with GS he was ranked 26 in the NBA by ESPN. This year he was 90something, which in a vacuum is probably more accurate. But that's his range.

Again, I'm not saying he's a HOFer or even an All-Star (which he has been, btw). I'm just saying he's not trash. Trash is "worthless". Replacement level. You can say he's not worth his contract or he's terrible on defense but you can say also that about James Harden and the defense part about the "cornerstones" we are trying to build our team around as well (and they are right on track to be future overpaid one side of the ball only guys at this rate).

He's a top 100 NBA player and valuable in the right role.
CFTXAG10
AG
Aggie09Derek
AG
I definitely am biased a bit from hearing NBA experts hate his game (Russillo, Bill Simmons, Zach Lowe, Windhorst, etc). It's all about what he's getting paid and expectations vs reality.

MAJOR difference between top 50 and top 100 player in the league. Can definitely see him being around the top 100 players. FWIW he's got the 34th-highest salary.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/nba-player-ratings/ - using RAPTOR - 96th

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/34552302/nbarank-2022-ranking-best-players-2022-23-100-26 - 93rd (200+ people on panel ranking NBA players)

coastalAg
AG
WES2006AG said:

Taking the pick heavy Nets package instead of the Ben Simmons package from the Sixers was definitely the right move, but Rafael Stone doesnt get much credit from me that it ended up working out so well...thats just dumb luck.

Rockets twitter is way too far up Stone's ass. He did a good job of accumulating assets quickly and finding some value in the draft, but so far his ability to construct a winning roster remains a huge question mark.

The proof will be in the pudding in a few years, but I am growing skeptical.
Aggie09Derek
AG

Shows what people think of 2nd round picks
YNWA_AG
AG
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
100% agreed. Stacking assets versus building a good team are two completely different things. With EG likely gone today, that leaves Boban as the oldest (only 30-plus) player on the roster. Considering we play next to zero defense and are already lacking in a sense of not just veteran direction, but coaching direction, what's the move here? The only plus I can see out of moving Gordon out is just being a good to Eric Gordon for his years of service by placing him in a better situation, which would be anywhere but Houston.
Aggie09Derek
AG

Yikes
Harry Dunne
On the radio today they suggested adding Russ after Utah buys him out and just letting him be Russ so at least the young guys can see what playing hard looks like and get their asses chewed a little. IDK if anyone can find the postgame Jalen audio, but he said last night's game was "super fun". Pathetic.

Anyway the Russ plan somehow sounds like both:

1. A really terrible idea
2. Better than what we have going on now
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
There's was talk about trading John Wall for Russ last year, right? For the same reason? I think it would be a complete disaster. Russ is his best version when he's allowed to be Russ (IE, let him do whatever he wants on the court and take the good with the bad). But we're already doing that with Jalen to grow him so having Russ reintroduced would be self-sabotage.
YNWA_AG
AG
YNWA_AG
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Head Ninja In Charge said:

There's was talk about trading John Wall for Russ last year, right? For the same reason? I think it would be a complete disaster. Russ is his best version when he's allowed to be Russ (IE, let him do whatever he wants on the court and take the good with the bad). But we're already doing that with Jalen to grow him so having Russ reintroduced would be self-sabotage.
Wait, Wall and Russ were traded for each other before? There was gonna be takebacks?
YNWA_AG
AG
Aggie09Derek
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
What in the hell
zgood10
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Lmao
Aggie09Derek
AG
All to help out other teams and get back worthless picks that maybe just maybe can get something for down the road.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Aaahahajajahahahahajahahahahahaja
Guitarsoup
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

All to help out other teams and get back worthless picks that maybe just maybe can get something for down the road.
Gordon goes out in the Wall trade. Wall's contract is team option for next year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.