************* Houston Rockets 22-23 Season thread *************

94,499 Views | 1176 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by Max Power
Harry Dunne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I'm going to be really disappointed if Gordon isn't traded today. If the best we can do for him is a couple of 2nd rounders, that's fine. Use those as part of another trade in the future.

He deserves to play for a contender and he's not doing anything for us here anymore other than eating up minutes that should be going to someone else.
AG@RICE
AG
Texaggie7nine said:

I don't see that same energy from Silas during the game. I've never once seen him chew out a player or even give a slightly annoyed glare. Just a smile or deadpan nothing.
WES2006AG
AG
Silas has let this happen and he has been around long enough to know that he will be fired for it. If you can't get your guys to give basic effort then it is time to try someone else.
Harry Dunne
Unfortunately cannon fodder coaches are part of a rebuild. I don't know if an old school disciplinarian would have been well-received until now, when these guys know what a pushover coach gets you and how bad it sucks to get rolled every night.
Caleb12
He's lost the ear of the team. It's not like his schemes even if/when they are well executed make a lot of sense for maximizing the talent of our team. And now he can't get buy-in. It's time for a fresh voice. However, hoping we let him finish out the tank job so we can lock up that guaranteed top-4 pick.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
AG@RICE said:

Texaggie7nine said:

I don't see that same energy from Silas during the game. I've never once seen him chew out a player or even give a slightly annoyed glare. Just a smile or deadpan nothing.
He's a corpse during those 48 minutes. Zero energy, zero body language, zero coaching. The assistants do the leg work during the game. This would be acceptable if he was an X's and O's coach where he does all the work and offers all of the guidance outside of the lines and let's the staff be the drill sargeants during the actual game, but he's not that either. I see no redeeming qualities. He doesn't even seem like a good player's coach.
Harry Dunne
No trade. What a joke.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Harry Dunne said:

No trade. What a joke.

Trade deadline is a few days away, no?
CFTXAG10
AG
Trade deadline is Thursday
Harry Dunne
Yes. Oops. February 9. I thought it was today.

I blame my mistake on Silas' coaching.
Aggie09Derek
AG
What moves are you wanting them to make?

Trade EG for a bad contract coming back and get a worthless 2nd?
Harry Dunne
The only reason to have played him so much is to get his trade value up. If the best you can get in return for him is a half drank diet coke, you still make the trade. If not, then giving him all of these minutes was moronic. If they can't get anything for him, I'd be OK with the John Wall plan and let him hang out in Miami the rest of the year and come visit us if we play there.

What move are you wanting them to make? To hold him?

You think he's providing bad ass leadership? You think the 30 minutes a game he's eating are good for the young guys?
Aggie09Derek
AG
Wasn't sure if you had anyone else in mind that had any value to help us.

Yeah, I would be looking to get rid of EG, but what we get back is going to be minimal. Total luck if ends up being worth anything.

The team is a mess no doubt, but I do think it is good to mix in vets who know what it takes (not saying EG is for sure that guy though). Ideally, you get those guys on MUCH smaller contracts and can be good role players and leaders. Some teams try to get all players around the same age and it's a bit moronic.
Harry Dunne
Yeah I'm not expecting much in return. A couple of second rounders is what they said on the radio.

If that's all he's worth, I'd really be OK with him staying and just being a mentor if he's OK with it but I think he deserves a shot at playing for a contender.

Before the season teams supposedly offered deals including first rounders, but like you said who knows what garbage contract we would have had to take back in return.
3 Toed Pete
AG
Seems like they have been trying to move Gordon forever, but especially since the rebuild. They can't ever get what management thinks EG is worth and it seems obvious they have overvalued him for years. I was happy when we got EG from NO and have always liked his game but at this point they need to move him for whatever they can get.
Aggie09Derek
AG
It's not what he's worth..it's who would take on the terrible contract but now being an expiring it makes him much more attractive for those that can swap a bad contract and may be what someone needs.
coastalAg
AG
Watching tonight to see if Lebron will break the record, and my main takeaway is that I am very jealous of where the Thunder are relative to the Rockets right now. They play such smart and disciplined basketball. SGA, Giddey and Williams are so fun to watch together.
Aggie09Derek
AG
And will have Chet plus lots of picks
Ags #1
AG
So basically they know how to draft well? Giddey and williams are draft picks. Of course sga was in a trade. Assuming it helps to have a coach who may actually teach them something. Stone may have hit on segun though. Green is still tbd and same with jabari.
CFTXAG10
AG
AG@RICE
AG
I don't think Gordon has any chance of being bought out. Even if we don't trade him now, his contract still has some value. He has an extra team option after this year. That means he can be traded this offseason for a team looking to shed salary.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Shai is such a smooth player. Hard to define and quantify "smooth" past the eye test, but he's like a better/younger version of Paul George. One of those guys that does everything well, doesn't look like he's forcing anything or trying too hard, and all of sudden ends up with 35 points out of nowhere. I love his game.
WES2006AG
AG
Being reported that there are multiple teams looking to acquire Tate. Be interesting to see how highly our front office values him in the rebuild.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Wouldn't that require us picking up that option, no chance IMO
Harry Dunne
WES2006AG said:

Being reported that there are multiple teams looking to acquire Tate. Be interesting to see how highly our front office values him in the rebuild.
100% need to trade him.

He's a nice role player for a contender, but he's already 27 & we're not going to be competitive before he's a FA in 2025.
Harry Dunne
No chance the team picks up a $21M option on Gordon. His highest value is as an expiring contract and if there is a way to swap him to a contender with a useless player also with an expiring contract + even garbage picks that would be great. If we don't do that I'm not sure why the eff he has been playing 30 mpg, but I'm not sure about a lot of stuff with this organization.

It's a tricky situation. I doubt we move on from KPJ after investing in him. Next year you've got:

1. Jalen
2. KPJ
3. Sengun
4. Jabari
5. Hopefully Wembanyama. Maybe Scoot. Definitely someone who is going to be in the starting lineup.

IMO we are pretty far away from being good. Far away enough not to hold on to role players that have trade value. At some point you have to stop just accumulating draft capital, investing minutes into guys just to build them into trade assets and sucking with young players...and try to actually be good. But our older role players aren't still going to be on this squad by the time that happens so it doesn't make any sense to hold on to them if you can get something in return.

Martin Jr. is a starter in this league. His trade value is only going to diminish if his minutes do. Tate and Garry are nice role players for a competitor and ditto on trade value. They are all so cheap that I have no problem with keeping them. I mean you have to have role players and it's nice to have some mature guys in the locker room, but if someone is willing to give up something worthwhile for them I'd flip them in a heartbeat.

I'd love to trade KPJ as well but I doubt that's gonna happen.

Most of all I'd love to get a real coach who will come in here and hold guys accountable. I don't mind losing with guys who are trying hard and creating a good culture and hope for the future but this trash is hard to watch.
AG@RICE
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Wouldn't that require us picking up that option, no chance IMO
I don't believe so. I think he can be traded at the end of the season and then the option can be turned down by the receiving team. So basically he can be an empty salary filler.

I could be wrong, I just remember hearing something along these lines recently.
Aggie09Derek
AG
I guess similar to CP3 trade where made sense for trade purposes for Clippers to pick up option for the trade (if I'm remembering correctly).
shano0603
AG
I don't get how the lakers get people to give them solid guys.
Aggie09Derek
AG
shano0603 said:

I don't get how the lakers get people to give them solid guys.

Who did they get who is "solid"?

Also they gave up a fist which will be a mid first
Harry Dunne
You don't think D'Angelo Russell & Malik Beasley are solid?
Aggie09Derek
AG
D'Angelo is trash
HotardRat
AG
D'Angelo is awful
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
D'Angelo is basura
Harry Dunne
He's a bad defender bit trash is a little harsh.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.