************* Houston Rockets 22-23 Season thread *************

93,427 Views | 1176 Replies | Last: 6 mo ago by Max Power
Iowaggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If checking Texags in middle of work day:

RGV Vipers in G-League playoffs during lunch time

AG@RICE
AG
Both the Vipers and the Rockets won their G-league games today!
The Porkchop Express
Head Ninja In Charge said:

Anyone going to the McDonald's game tonight at Toyota? Been tracking D.J. Wagner for a while because I thought his dad was going to be Allen Iverson 2.0 back when I was in junior high. Also, Bronny is playing which will be interesting to watch.
See if Bronny is reading the Table of Contents of a good book.
WARNING: I have a deep-seated desire for others to love the Star Wars franchise as much as I do, in exactly the way I do, and get snippy and sensitive and passive-aggressive when they don't.
Harry Dunne
Harry Dunne said:

AAggie said:

Harry Dunne said:

Very Dallassy flex.

Enjoy continuing to pay top dollar to watch all y'alls underachieving teams.

Says the team playing so terribly, you're fighting for the top lottery pick. The money you save will help you pay for that smashed car window though leaving the stadium. Safe lite repair, safe lite replace!
Fighting for a franchise-changing lottery pick is a few steps closer to a championship than making a desperation trade for flat-earth Kyrie and praying that he's weird enough that he won't hate Luka.

Either start a Trash Talk thread or GTFO. We have important tanking to discuss around here.
Looks like the Mavs finally figured this out.
coastalAg
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Harry Dunne said:

AAggie said:

Harry Dunne said:

Very Dallassy flex.

Enjoy continuing to pay top dollar to watch all y'alls underachieving teams.

Says the team playing so terribly, you're fighting for the top lottery pick. The money you save will help you pay for that smashed car window though leaving the stadium. Safe lite repair, safe lite replace!
Fighting for a franchise-changing lottery pick is a few steps closer to a championship than making a desperation trade for flat-earth Kyrie and praying that he's weird enough that he won't hate Luka.

Either start a Trash Talk thread or GTFO. We have important tanking to discuss around here.
Looks like the Mavs finally figured this out.

They may have figured it out better than the Rockets. We played several starters almost 40 minutes in a meaningless game. We should be doing everything we can to lock in a pick floor of 6.
dixichkn
AG
Taking their cues from Lovie I see
. . .
Silas fired (err 4th year option not picked up)

"Sources say the Rockets' initial coaching candidates are expected to be Raptors head coach Nick Nurse, Warriors assistant Kenny Atkinson, former Lakers coach Frank Vogel, ex-Hornets coach James Borrego, Raptors assistant Adrian Griffin and ex-Celtics coach Ime Udoka. The Rockets are expected to have a list of about eight candidates, according to sources." The Athletic

HotardRat
AG
All great options
Aggie09Derek
AG
Nurse would be best of the bunch
GigEmMortis
AG
HotardRat said:

All great options

Not too high on Vogel, but he'd be an improvement over Silas for sure. Nurse is the one I would go for. Udoka would be a nice hire as well, if you can get past his baggage
Harry Dunne
Whoever can get Harden to snort the least amount of cocaine
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Harry Dunne said:

from April to June*. My guy won an MVP when he was here.
Harry Dunne

Harry Dunne said:

Your guy has always $h@t his pants when it counted and is about to bail out on his 3rd team in 3 years.
WES2006AG
AG
We aren't really thinking about bringing James back are we? Dude left in about the worst way possible and is entering the end of a career that has seen a lot of NBA miles for a guy who isn't known for taking care of himself.
Guitarsoup
AG
WES2006AG said:

We aren't really thinking about bringing James back are we? Dude left in about the worst way possible and is entering the end of a career that has seen a lot of NBA miles for a guy who isn't known for taking care of himself.
I'm not sure what NBA player you would prefer to mentor Wemby, Green, and Jabari than James Harden.

The man has his jersey hanging from the rafters and he is still playing.

Caleb12
Bringing harden back and signing another quality free agent with the remaining cap space would immediately bump us up 15 wins or so. We need to strive for the play-in so we can evaluate the young guys in a playoff-type setting and see who's built for it. Plus getting them experience. Harden is the best player we can actually get for the max this year and he fills a need as a distributor. I'd absolutely take him back.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Harry Dunne said:

Harry Dunne said:

Your guy has always $h@t his pants when it counted and is about to bail out on his 3rd team in 3 years.
Did I not say April to June?
AG@RICE
AG
There isn't a person in the world that thinks we have a chance of winning a title next year. If Harden returns to this situation, its a giant admission that he isn't looking to win a championship and is just interested in the most $$$$. We are certain to get the fattest laziest version of James in his career. He would probably show up to every game covered in stripper lotion, body glitter and powdered donut sugar.

Hard pass.
coastalAg
AG
Ive seen three year deals thrown out with respect to Harden. Sign me up for that. He was still an All-Star caliber player this year now that he is healthy again.

Im tired of sucking and Harden immediately makes them better. He fills a huge need as a primary facilitator and pushes KPJ to a bench scoring role.

There is really no opportunity cost to acquiring him either. Wont have to give up any picks or players and have plenty of short term cap space.

I understand the negative feelings towards him, but there is more upside than downside, imo.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Why would Harden leave Philly for Houston for next 3 years?
AG@RICE
AG
Less taxes, better food and nicer strip clubs
Aggie09Derek
AG
Guessing you are joking

While all three are true none of those are top 10 variables when they are making a decision.
GigEmMortis
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Guessing you are joking

While all three are true none of those are top 10 variables when they are making a decision.

It's James Harden. That last one is absolutely a factor
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Guessing you are joking

How would we know this? The NBA to some of these guys is just like how the rest of view our current jobs. Pros and cons. Unless you're an all-time guy (or have aspirations of being an all-time guy), why would "winning" matter to you if the other perks are being extremely rich, having the freedom to go where you want, and maximizing your prime after office hours?

This idea that athletes should care about winning and winning only is hilarious to me. Maybe that's what we want from them as fans, but if it were me - I'd take Kevin Durant's GFYS approach. Granted he has rings, but my attitude would be the same.
Aggie09Derek
AG
Harden does love ball

Taxes have always been an incredibly weak argument since only matters for games played in those states.

Good/great food pretty much everywhere and he's traveling around the country always

Strip clubs he's going to every major city all the time…non issue. Guessing Philly has a few nice establishments that are up to his standards.

Maybe he does want to come back and right some wrongs…just don't see it actually happening and not a good fit for trying to build a team anyways. Would be different if Harden was some great locker room guy who would really be helping the young guys. Just not the case.
coastalAg
AG
He lives in Houston still and spends all his off time there. Im assuming that and his comfort level with the organization would be the biggest factors in wanting to come back.

If this team was closer to contending, I would feel differently. But given the opportunity cost and on floor fit, I think its a golden opportunity to accelerate the rebuild and start winning sooner. We dont control our pick next year so there is no incentive to keep tanking. Time to start doing something.
GigEmMortis
AG
coastalAg said:

He lives in Houston still and spends all his off time there. Im assuming that and his comfort level with the organization would be the biggest factors in wanting to come back.

If this team was closer to contending, I would feel differently. But given the opportunity cost and on floor fit, I think its a golden opportunity to accelerate the rebuild and start winning sooner. We dont control our pick next year so there is no incentive to keep tanking. Time to start doing something.
3 Toed Pete
AG
coastalAg said:

I've always liked Harden, even after watching him play poorly year after year in the playoffs.

And your points are valid. My concern is his being a bad influence on all of our young guys. Harden could not get along with Dwight Howard, Chris Paul, or his buddy Westbrook. His off the court lifestyle was not conducive to being in top form for games, including off-day trips to Cabo.

Chris Paul is about winning. Period. And he couldn't stand James as a teammate. If Rockets brass decides acquiring James is the right move, I'm okay with it. But there is a potential downside. Morey never stood up to Harden and letting that happen again would be a mistake that could stunt the growth of our youngsters.
SeanDaAg2005
AG
I can see both sides. If you could magically transport the version of harden playing in this Philly game right now to the rockets I think they would be way better and what other veterans do they even have a chance with? On the other hand, how realistic is that and what's the likelihood that harden starts jacking up 40 shots per game with no one he respects to stop him?
1876er
AG
SeanDaAg2005 said:

I can see both sides. If you could magically transport the version of harden playing in this Philly game right now to the rockets I think they would be way better and what other veterans do they even have a chance with? On the other hand, how realistic is that and what's the likelihood that harden starts jacking up 40 shots per game with no one he respects to stop him?

There is only one side. You take Harden in a heartbeat if he is willing to join this band of misfits. He's still a top 20 player and you have one of the worst teams in the league.

The purpose of the game is to try to win, not be in rebuild mode forever.
WES2006AG
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
The lottery only picks the top 4 picks, then everything else falls in place by record. Rockets won the toss, so they are defacto 2nd worst team.

Rockets Lottery Chances:

1: 14%
2: 13.4%
3: 12.7%
4: 12%
5. 27.8%
6. 20%

So if the Rockets get picked for a top 4 spot, that's what they get.
If neither the Rockets or Pistons get a top 4 spot, the Rockets get the 6th pick.
If the Pistons do get a top 4 spot, but the Rockets do not, the Rockets get the 5th pick.

Rockets also get the 20th pick from the Clippers.

The Rockets 2nd round pick (33rd overall) goes to Boston, and was actually part of the James Harden trade - a piece that went to Indiana.
Guitarsoup
AG
Harden put the cheap shot in the genitals and is amazed he is ejected.

Aggie09Derek
AG
Was a weak ejection

Should have been a flagrant 1.
Guitarsoup
AG
Aggie09Derek said:

Was a weak ejection

Should have been a flagrant 1.
Nah, the nba specifically uses a weak cup check as an example of what. Flag2 is. Textbook Flag2,, Harden usually uses his gut to hide it.

https://videorulebook.nba.com/archive/flagrant-foul-penalty-2-hit-to-opponents-groin/

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.