Arsenal 2024-2025 Thread

25,777 Views | 557 Replies | Last: 3 days ago by MaroonTxAg03
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
2023-2024 is now OVER!

Let's do this.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
LFG!
wangus12
AG
LETS DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!
CatD11Ag
AG
wangus12
AG
wangus12
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
Why would a 26-year old keeper in a serious fight for a national team spot going into a World Cup cycle want to come to Arsenal?

Apart from a pay raise, of course.
wangus12
AG
No idea. I certainly wouldn't. I think the #2 GK isn't going to be a younger guy. I'd look at bringing Wojciech Szczsny if you can get him for cheap. Has 1 year left on his deal at Juventus, loves Arsenal and is still a good GK and can play with his feet.
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
wangus12 said:

No idea. I certainly wouldn't. I think the #2 GK isn't going to be a younger guy. I'd look at bringing Wojciech Szczsny if you can get him for cheap. Has 1 year left on his deal at Juventus, loves Arsenal and is still a good GK and can play with his feet.
And he could openly smoke a cigarette while on the bench, which I sort of love the image that creates.
chjoak
AG
Supposed 3rd leak. Not a fan of purple btu I don't hate this.....

chjoak
AG
Not sure I believe the Kadioglu links. He is effectively a right footed OZ and we started shifting away from OZ due to his defensive lapses.
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

This seems like BS. Why would you play a 6'5" guy on the wing, especially when you have Saka, Marti, Trossard & Jesus that can all play there better?
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

Only reason Bijlow makes any sense for us is the cost. I could see him possibly wanting to get out of the Dutch league and maybe thinking we could "Turner" him into a starter on a mid to upper mid tier team in a year.

Personally I would prefer a Woj or 35+yo FA with a young HG or u21 as the 3rd.
CatD11Ag
AG
gougler08
AG
CatD11Ag said:

I still wish we could figure out how to get ESR more minutes and I always thought Tierney was good, but he obviously doesn't fit what Arteta wants to do.

The rest, try and get some money for them
chjoak
AG
Saw something yesterday that pointed out ESR, Nelson & Vieira were available for 42, 43 & 34 games respectively across all comps but still they only 474, 639 & 470 minutes. That tells you that (a) they aren't good enough for what Arteta wants to do or (b) they aren't doing what they are being asked in training.
texagbeliever
or c) Arteta is going to kill his star players.

I fear in a couple years Arsenal are going to be wondering why some of their younger guys are playing like they are 29-30 because of all the minutes they have racked up.
wangus12
AG
I tend to agree. I feel the team got somewhat lucky this year with none of the major players like Saliba/Gabriel/Rice/Saka/Havertz ever missing a large amount of time. There is no reason that someone like ESR couldn't at the very least give you 1000 minutes this year. He has proven he can do it at this level.

Also saw Charles Watts saying not to expect a big money move this year, but smaller moves to fill out the roster. Basically don't get your hopes up for someone like Bruno G. or Gyokeres or Isak.
chjoak
AG
While I agree we could use more rotation, you have to stop and ask why. What is stopping him from playing these other guys? Why doesn't he trust them to get the job done? If he isn't gonna play them they need to be moved on so we can bring in guys he will trust.

You also need to consider that when a player is the best (or one of) in the world at their position, they are gonna play a ton of minutes. That's not an Arteta thing. It's a pro sports thing. Look at every world class player in history and they played TONS of minutes. Ronaldo has played 2000+ league minutes 19 times. Messi 15, Kroos 13, Lewandowski 15, Salah 9 (consecutive), etc.... Some may breakdown, some may not. Ideally we don't want people playing through pain but the best of the best want to play no matter what.
texagbeliever
Aresnal up 5-0 vs Chelsea (up 4-0 by the 65th minute): Subs off the bench at 72' used were Jorginho, OZ, Jesus, and Martinelli. Later at the 82' Viera (Saka played 82 minutes).
Subs that got 0 minutes: ESR, Nketiah.

Arsenal 6-0 vs Sheffield United: Saka subbed off at half for Vierra. Otherwise old vet subs after 60'.
ESR & Nelson got 0 minutes.

Arteta is in my opinion at risk of developing a rep of not giving younger guys playing time. I think you got to give those kids something for them to stay hungry.
chjoak
AG
I agree. He needs to play the younger guys. Go back and look in this thread during those games and you will find posts from me begging for Nelson & ESR in particular to get minutes. But again, my question is why aren't they?

I don't think he has an issue with young players.
He trusts Saka, Marti who are both younger than Vieira, Nelson, ESR & Eddie.
He trusts Saliba who is the same age as Vieira & ESR and younger that Nelson & Eddie.
He was ready to hand Timber (same age as Saka) the starting LB spot until his injury.
So why doesn't he trust those 4?
He trusted a 20yo ESR in 21/22 when he had over 2000min and 11 goals.
So why doesn't he trust him now?
He trusted Eddie for parts of last season and earlier this. He could have and probably should have focused on buying a ST last summer but instead put faith in Eddie as backup. But Eddie lost that faith.
What did the others do/no do to lose his faith?

Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Do you think Saliba was ready to play for Arsenal a season before we brought him over?
chjoak
AG
If you go back and look at his FBRef numbers, the potential was there but his per 90 numbers at Nice weren't quite what they are and it was a 20 game example. Keeping him and starting him over White (who was playing well with Gabi) was a risk for a new manager wanting to make sure he retained his job. The Marseille loan was a bit controversial but I'm not mad we did it. It verified that he was 100% ready and I think he is perhaps a better player because of it.
texagbeliever
I wonder if he had some "grace" time where it was find out which of the young players to ramp up as starting 11 guys and who to bring in. For ESR he suffered a big injury that probably kept him from being more like Marti. Now I think Arteta has a too much of a win this one game mentality that he might miss the need to develop and win the season or 3 seasons from now.

We were lucky in a lot of ways injury wise. Man City had 8 players get at least 10 starts in their front attacking 3. Arsenal had 7. That would be 6 if you don't include Nketia who started more out of necessity from injuries.

Grealish started 8 Champions League games but only 10 EPL games. Arsenal doesn't have a rotated top 3 player like that.
chjoak
AG
texagbeliever said:

Grealish started 8 Champions League games but only 10 EPL games. Arsenal doesn't have a rotated top 3 player like that.
Arsenal also doesn't have a sheikh for an owner and 115 sanctions against them. City's championships are tainted in my mind. They have broken the rules to obtain depth at almost every position that could easily be starting for numerous teams in this league.
wangus12
AG
Vieira has never truly earned playing time in my opinion, although he did start to really show some promise last fall before he ended up having groin surgery and missing several months.

ESR is the one I really don't get. He was the 1st sub/starter in 2021/22. Missed a lot of last year because of injury. This year just hasn't been given opportunities, but imo when he has come on, he has looked good. There haven't been any games were he really struggled. He started 3 matches and did well. He was really unlucky not to have several goals this year due to goal line clearances and good saves.
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

ESR is the one I really don't get. He was the 1st sub/starter in 2021/22. Missed a lot of last year because of injury. This year just hasn't been given opportunities, but imo when he has come on, he has looked good. There haven't been any games were he really struggled. He started 3 matches and did well. He was really unlucky not to have several goals this year due to goal line clearances and good saves.
100% agree with this. I'd say he looks a bit lazy in defense at times but has generally looked good on offense and in possession. He has probably had atleast 5-6 goals either cleared off the line or deflected. One reason he may not be getting a legit shot..... he doesn't really create for others. He is much more of a goal scorer & dribbler vs a creative presence. I 100% think that he will be the one that fans will regret selling. I think he ends up on a mid table club and scores double digits.
CatD11Ag
AG
Newcastle has sizable FFP issue to deal with. No one is going to pay this #; curious to see how their roster management shakes out.

wangus12
AG
I think they keep Isak. It's a **** off price. Bruno G is gonna be the big name they're more likely to move
CatD11Ag
AG
CatD11Ag
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
It doesn't need to be scrapped but the VAR referees need to spend all summer working on how to do it properly
chjoak
AG
Ditching PGMOL and bringing in a new org with less bias would solve a ton of issues.
chjoak
AG
Seeing more and more claims that Partey doesn't want to leave this summer unless an ideal offer comes in which means he isn't leaving. Shapes our MF signings for the summer. With him making 200k/wk there is no reason for him to not play if he is healthy and doing what Arteta asks. That means our need for a starting quality 6/8 could get pushed in favor of youth with upside. Could argue that it makes it easier to move or loan Vieira as well.
chjoak
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.