Arsenal 2024-2025 Thread

29,363 Views | 636 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by TXAggie2011
CatD11Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Agree. I am starting to think Partey is going to be part of the team coming season. Need him to be healthy, log minutes and play with quality.
chjoak
AG
Think the only way he bounces is if someone offers him atleast 150k/wk over 3-4 yrs. Anything less is not worth walking away from his current 200k/wk. Given his injury history the last 2-3 yrs, i dont see anyone offering him that if they have to also pay a transfer fee.
TXAggie2011
AG
Yeah, I started to figure as Partey kept starting games at the end of the season, that it was not a given he would be moving on. Won't be surprised at all to see him stay.
wangus12
AG
I do think it looks like he'll stay, but I still think we stay in the market for a major upgrade in the midfield. You simply can't trust Partey to stay fit and it seemed very obvious during the last several games of the year that his legs aren't really there.
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

I do think it looks like he'll stay, but I still think we stay in the market for a major upgrade in the midfield. You simply can't trust Partey to stay fit and it seemed very obvious during the last several games of the year that his legs aren't really there.
I agree that you stay in the market, my question is whether you can afford to drop 80m on Bruno G (or a similar high priced transfer) if he stays? In theory, if you can keep him healthy enough and in solid form for 1000-1500 min, you could have he & Jorge platoon the #6 and then you buy someone younger/cheaper that maybe needs a few months to adjust to the league.
agdoc2001
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

Yeah, I started to figure as Partey kept starting games at the end of the season, that it was not a given he would be moving on. Won't be surprised at all to see him stay.
I just figured Arteta was trying to put him in the shop window a bit. Unfortunately, it just revealed that his legs are shot. Looks to be yet another expensive player we will not get any return on.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
agdoc2001
AG
Is John Cross a reliable source now? He certainly didn't use to be.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
chjoak
AG
I don't know but Hagn has had some good info in the past
TXAggie2011
AG
agdoc2001 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

I just figured Arteta was trying to put him in the shop window a bit. Unfortunately, it just revealed that his legs are shot. Looks to be yet another expensive player we will not get any return on.

I just never thought Arteta was a manager who would do that. Arteta would play Partey if he gave the best chance to win the game or he'd be on the bench.

Keeping him does give them flexibility in who they go buy this go around. Could be another 6 or could be an 8. If you got rid of Partey, I think you'd have to get a 6.
TXAggie2011
AG
Add best available/obtainable midfielder this year. Winter or next summer, move Partey along and get whatever we don't get this summer
chjoak
AG
The way I see it (MF addition).....

We go into next season with Rice, MO, Jorge & atleast 1 new MF guaranteed. The position (6 vs 8) and the quality/quantity of the MF signing(s) is determined by who else stays. My expectation is that we head into the season with 5 MF that Arteta feels he can trust in EPL/CL comps plus 1-2 young MF (Nwaneri?) that we are grooming for the future.

Potentially on the chopping block are Partey, ESR & Vieira.....

Partey - I think we want him gone but he could be hard to move given his salary, injury history, form and expiring contract. Keeping him may not be a terrible situation IF we can get 1000-1500 min of 22/23 season Partey. If that is the case we can afford to buy a younger/cheaper MF that could be eased into a significant role for the 25/26 season. Its possible that we both keep Partey AND buy a high end MF but I think doing so would require us to sell very well.

ESR - Highly likely that he is gone. Don't think Arteta trusts/rates him post recovery. There have been too many opportunities to get him on the pitch where Arteta has opted for others that didn't need the minutes as much. The bonus here is that any fee is 100% profit for FFP purposes since he is an academy product. And since he accounted for under 500 min this season, replacing should not require a huge investment. If we are committed to developing from the academy, promoting Nwaneri to take his spot is a near no brainer.

Vieira - Probably should be moved. Arteta seems to rate/trust him more than ESR but he has still been limited in his playing time and has a tendency to get pushed around too much to be an effective EPL MF. The problem with Vieira is that his value isn't high enough to turn a profit selling him. That leaves us with the option to either..... keep him and do what we can to get him minutes or loan him to a league that is less physical where he might excel (Italy?). In theory you could replace both he and ESR with a single player (they had less than 1000 min combined) so loaning him may be a strong option.

While I don't think the entire window hinges on Partey, whether he stays or goes could play a big role in our allocation of funds.

Sell Partey - If Partey is sold, we 100% will be signing a starting quality 6 or 8. In this scenario we are also likely looking atleast 2 signings.

Keep Partey - If he stays, we could still sign a starting quality MF. That would by far be our most expensive MF scenario and may impact our other signings but it would create a significantly stronger MF with Jorge & Partey only be relied upon as depth. Opting to buy cheaper/younger options instead would be riskier because you are relying on Partey to start until one of the new guys proves ready. However, that could be the better long term option for both a stronger MF and team (shift money to other positions).

Partey is currently on 200k/wk with 1 yr remaining on his contract. If he rides out his current deal and continues to fall off a cliff he still likely lands a 75-100k/wk 1yr "prove it" deal next summer in a lessor league. Because of that, I don't see him leaving for anything less than 3yr 150k/wk. I also don't see him being offered that (if at all) until later in the window and us getting screwed on the fee due to low interest. Because of that, Edu/Arteta are gonna have to decide what they want to do and run with it. Logically I see 2 legit scenarios....

Option 1 - get your starting quality MF and plan for Partey being an expensive depth option. If he leaves late in the window have a deal for a cheap replacement ready that you can trigger on very short notice.

Option 2 - plan for Partey to be around and likely be atleast a platoon starter. Buy a young/cheap option (or 2) and hope they can take the job from him by Xmas. If a team comes in late, hold your ground and don't let him go unless they also offer a respectable fee.

Option 1 solidifies our MF for next season but could leave us a bit lite on cash for other transfers.
Option 2 allows you more cash to strengthen in other areas but is a bit risky in MF. Those risks could however be mitigated by stronger signings at FW and/or defense.
chjoak
AG
chjoak
AG
zgolfz85
AG
chjoak said:

ha yes please...take him haha
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Who was the coach and sporting director when Partey was signed?
chjoak
AG
Arteta & Sanllehi
agdoc2001
AG
TXAggie2011 said:

agdoc2001 said:

TXAggie2011 said:

I just never thought Arteta was a manager who would do that. Arteta would play Partey if he gave the best chance to win the game or he'd be on the bench.

Keeping him does give them flexibility in who they go buy this go around. Could be another 6 or could be an 8. If you got rid of Partey, I think you'd have to get a 6.

I wouldn't have either, but it was painfully obvious that we were less secure at the back when he played and that he couldn't track back. Partey was forced to foul over snd over to prevent counterattacks. We looked better overall with Jorginho in the midfield.
wangus12
AG
Adidas is having a sale on the radioactive zebra kit. $50 for the replica and $60 for the authentic. I caved and got a Rice 41 top
CatD11Ag
AG
I'm not sure OZ is a priority signing for Bayern.
gougler08
AG
What's the difference between authentic and just regular? All I can tell is the lower back has the stripes on the authentic version
wangus12
AG
Overall material quality and more breathable. I jokingly told my wife I can never go back to buying the cheaper version after I got an authentic one. They feel wildly more comfortable to me.
gougler08
AG
Thanks! For $10 more, I'll get the nicer one
chjoak
AG
I believe authentic have a more fitted cut as well
wangus12
AG
I'll check when I get home. I have an authentic and a replica for this season.
wangus12
AG
Sounds like Martinelli is starting today for Brazil at Ktle Field. Any of yall going
chjoak
AG
My son & I will be there
chjoak
AG

chjoak
AG
Little Gabi had a shot at goal in the first 5 and has been quiet the rest of the half. Brazil in general has been very sloppy.
chjoak
AG
Little Gabi scores!!!!
Ag Since 83
AG
This might be the greatest worlds colliding moment in the history of my sports fandom
wangus12
AG
Well ***** Sesko is gonna stay at Leipzig and sign a new contract it seems.

We can't afford Isak or Gyokeres. Last I heard, Zirkzee was going to Milan. I'll be surprised if we get a striker at this point
chjoak
AG
wangus12 said:

Well ***** Sesko is gonna stay at Leipzig and sign a new contract it seems.

We can't afford Isak or Gyokeres. Last I heard, Zirkzee was going to Milan. I'll be surprised if we get a striker at this point
Honestly don't think we will unless it is a development prospect. I think we run with Havertz/Jesus/Trossard and instead go and get a young high end winger that can push Marti & Saka and provide both of them rest. Maybe Rafeal Leao wants a change in scenery? Maybe make a run at Ferran Torres, Raphinha, Nico Williams, Xavi Simons (though that would be a loan) or Olise.

Saw a rumor yesterday that suggested we may push for Brahim Diaz from Real. With their current & rumored acquisitions he could be pushed further down the pecking order. He is very 2-footed and has the ability to play both wings and AM. Won't be cheap but could be a starting quality rotational piece for 3-4 positions.
TXAggie2011
AG
Schedule's out. Tough start. https://www.arsenal.com/news/arsenals-202425-premier-league-fixture-list

AUGUST
Sat 17 Wolverhampton Wanderers (H)
Sat 24 Aston Villa (A)
Sat 31 Brighton & Hove Albion (H)

SEPTEMBER
Sat 14 Tottenham Hotspur (A)
Sat 21 Manchester City (A)
Sat 28 Leicester City (H)
wangus12
AG
Thats a ***** of start. Away to Villa, City and Spurs. League can go **** off for that

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.