***** USMNT vs Iran WC Game Thread (11/29) *****

66,278 Views | 1367 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I thought our starting 11 was pretty good, but I don't understand how Haji Wright and Shaq Moore are allowed to see any playing time. Use Ferreira or Reyna, Scalley or even Yedlin.
aginlakeway
AG
Kunkle for Congress TX-34 said:

Are those really the best 11 players in the United States of America?

I mean seriously...we have over 330,000,000 people in this country, and that is it? I've seen better finishers in the adult league of BCS! Or is this about the players that have been coddled through the various "elite" systems in the US...

Even freakin' Portugal has Ronaldo and still keeps Pepe (39) as captain...

I feel like this hype is just like the Freddy Adu situation where "the future will be exciting."

Ok, rant over.

Then why aren't they making millions playing in Europe if they are that good?
moneyag7

I mean seriously...we have over 330,000,000 people in this country, and that is it? I've seen better finishers in the adult league of BCS! Or is this about the players that have been coddled through the various "elite" systems in the US...

I feel like this hype is just like the Freddy Adu situation where "the future will be exciting."

Ok, rant over.
Is there sometimes a pay to play limitation with soccer in the states? Sure. Would an all out star in your Sunday adult league have been recognized by someone along the way if they were as good as you think they are? yes.
La Bamba
AG
What we need is more depth. Our starting 11 can play with anyone. Hell, I'd argue our starting 11 played like the best team through 60 minutes in our group. It's the final 30 minutes when you need quality from the bench that we lose a lot.
KCup17
AG
Ohhh no… if Pulisic is out our WC hopes take a dive
KCup17
AG
aginlakeway said:

Ok, rant over.

Then why aren't they making millions playing in Europe if they are that good?

Because I prefer to stay close to family.
Valtrex_11
Wright is the number 9 for his team in Turkey is their league that bad...Valenice and many good European pros play there he should be playing better.
wangus12
AG
Valtrex_11 said:

Ok, rant over.
Most of the starting 11 plays for big European clubs so you know better than them? Not picking on you but I think the starting 11 is pretty good some big clubs shelling out a lot of cash for their services.

Probably his first time watching the sport
Mike Elko
AG
Moore and Wright should be sent home ASAP. Like right now.
Rudyjax
AG
KCup17 said:

Man reading this thread early in the game people acted like he was the worst player in history.
Pahdz
Andres Cantor is an American treasure
Rudyjax
AG

Ok, rant over.

That's the worst take I have ever read on this v board.
rgag12
AG
La Bamba said:

What we need is more depth. Our starting 11 can play with anyone. Hell, I'd argue our starting 11 played like the best team through 60 minutes in our group. It's the final 30 minutes when you need quality from the bench that we lose a lot.

The starting 11 in the first halves look like they are in the running for third best team behind France and Brazil. Then the second half starts/subs start coming in…
planoaggie123
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

KCup17 said:

Man reading this thread early in the game people acted like he was the worst player in history.

LOL i was thinking the same thing....i was a tad critical, hence why I don't agree our hopes dive. Our hopes don't live and die by Pulisic....our issue is simply being matched up against NED....
Rudyjax
AG
It definitely hurts. But he's not as critical as Adams.

And to be fair, I love these players and anyone bashing them angers me.
Valtrex_11
rgag12 said:

La Bamba said:

The starting 11 in the first halves look like the third best team behind France and Brazil. Then the second half starts/subs start coming in…
Thats mls dudes moslty and Im a huge MLS guy you can see the gap in talent.
oh no
AG
sent home? I don't think you get to release two from your 26 man roster and add two replacements.

Every player on the pitch made a bad decision or two or made a bad touch or two. It's easy to criticize a late sub who came on cold and made a bad touch or a bad decision. All they can do is learn from it.

I needed to see more decisive runs / aggressiveness from Haji though.
rsf0626
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

I thought our starting 11 was pretty good, but I don't understand how Haji Wright and Shaq Moore are allowed to see any playing time. Use Ferreira or Reyna, Scalley or even Yedlin.
I HATED these subs...Reyna is available, Scally is available. Sometimes I have no idea how GGG has this job
rsf0626
La Bamba
AG
Umm guys we've scored two goals this World Cup. CP assisted the first and scored the second. No, our hopes and dreams aren't shot if he doesn't play against NL, but… that game gets waaay harder than it already is if he doesn't.
Rudyjax
AG
MLS guys don't face the daily pressure to earn a start. They don't get kicked out of their league for not winning. The pressure the euros face on a daily basis is 100s of times greater.

Pulsic knows if he has a bad training session, he's not going to start.

JW
AG
wish we had pepi right now.
Rudyjax
AG
La Bamba said:

Umm guys we've scored two goals this World Cup. CP assisted the first and scored the second. No, our hopes and dreams aren't shot if he doesn't play against NL, but… that game gets waaay harder than it already is if he doesn't.

You're right, but he had the assist and goal on both.
Pahdz
Shaq Moore has made decisions like George from Seinfeld when he decides to do the opposite of what his instinct tells him...but in this version it doesn't work out.
oh no
AG
MLS schmell esss. Most of those Iranian players are in worse leagues than MLS. Our boys are fighting their asses off and our MLS guys like Zimmerman and Acosta have helped this group through qualifying and their coaches and teammates trust them.
Gordo14
La Bamba said:

Gio and Aaronson are both very capable goal creators. I would be way more worried if we lost Adams, Dest, or Robinson.
agsalaska
AG
La Bamba said:

This.

England brings on subs who start for Arsenal and Liverpool. We don't have that yet. But our starting 11 can play with just about anyone.

To the odd rant about better finishers in the BCS adult league, I do agree that we are one finisher short. But IMHO at this level those are very few and far between. Hopefully we can find one in the next four years.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
La Bamba
AG
Gordo14 said:

La Bamba said:

Gio and Aaronson are both very capable goal creators. I would be way more worried if we lost Adams, Dest, or Robinson.

Will Greggory allow Gio to get actual playing time?
AgGrad99
AG
I didnt think Moore was terrible. He had some bad moments, but he was at least active.

Wright kills me. It's a waste of a sub. I feel like we have to play a man down when he's in, because he either disappears or has a bad touch. The best thing he did was get fouled once.

Overall I thought we played good 75% of the game. But we went into a shell way way way way too early. We needed to keep possession, and keep the ball on their side of the field. Instead we just hunkered down, and that's a sure way to give away a Win (ie. Wales). I really wish we kept hunting for goals, and pushing for possession. We're just not built to get out of our game and play so defensive.

All worked out though. Happy to get the W and move on. Survive and advance at this point.

Dest was great today. Adams was great. Robinson was great. Aaronson, Weah, Musah and Sargent played well. Pulisic started out a little shaky, but played well.

Hoping Gio sees the field a bit more Saturday, but at this point, Im not holding my breath.
stick95
AG
I agree with your point. The problem with losing CP is that he commands so much attention. Things get a lot harder without him creating space.
Try and make something idiot proof, and all they do is make a better idiot.
Rudyjax
AG
agsalaska said:

La Bamba said:

This.

England brings on subs who start for Arsenal and Liverpool. We don't have that yet. But our starting 11 can play with just about anyone.

To the odd rant about better finishers in the BCS adult league, I do agree that we are one finisher short. But IMHO at this level those are very few and far between. Hopefully we can find one in the next four years.

And they finisher is an 05 about to sign his first pro contract. We'll have one on 2026.
Agthatbuilds
Texaggie7nine said:

No Pulisic vs NED = no way to win.

Geo better ****ing get a start
agsalaska
AG
Who is that?

I don't follow that level.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Pahdz
Wright was incredibly lazy for a sub, was jogging around like he'd played the whole game
Gordo14
La Bamba said:

Gordo14 said:

La Bamba said:

Will Greggory allow Gio to get actual playing time?

If Pulisic is out, Gio or Aaronson will start, period. And if we have to sub a LW or RW the other will come in.

I'm disappointed in Reyna's minutes as well, but it is difficult to decide who to sub out for his minutes. Pulisic? Weah? Mckennie or Musah? If Pulisic isn't available it makes the decision for you.
PJYoung
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

Oh geez...pulisic looks like a 90 year old man at halftime.

I wouldn't be shocked if he has something internally wrong. hopefully not

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.