***** USMNT vs Iran WC Game Thread (11/29) *****

64,742 Views | 1367 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
MB19
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not only is the USMNT under massive pressure today, but the Iran side is going to be under huge pressure themselves. I expect this to be pretty cagey for a while.
oragator
Nothing about today will be comfortable. We will likely either be scratching for that goal late (Algeria) or desperately hanging on to a lead. And that has t always worked out for us (Portugal).
JJxvi
AG
I really want to win today for winnings sake, but also, I want the "USA vs Netherlands" game for my "After the Whistle with Brendan Hunt and Rebecca Lowe" podcast listening pleasure.
randy828
AG
Come on USA. Get up early and kick some azz!
I was in the room here one day... watchin' the Mexican channel on TV. I don't know nothin' about Pele. I'm watchin' what this guy can do with a ball and his feet. Next thing I know, he jumps in the air and flips into a somersault and kicks the ball in - upside down and backwards... the dang (sc) goalie never knew what the hell hit him. Pele gets excited and he rips off his jersey and starts running around the stadium waving it around his head. Everybody's screaming in Spanish. I'
TRM
AG
JJxvi said:

KCup17 said:

For me it's a failure if we don't win today. We have the better talent throughout our roster. It is unacceptable to lose or tie when you know how they will come out playing. Doesn't mean it will be easy. I will go out on a limb and say if we lose today GGG should be sacked.
He doesn't need to be sacked. His contract is up. He definitely shouldnt be back after a group exit, and I probably wouldnt bring him back after even like a quarters or seminfinals (I think bad things happen with the relationship with the player pool the longer a coach is around) although I am sure the USSF would likely bring him back again, but I bet it would be a mistake.
USSF just needs to remember what happened bringing back Arena, Bradley, and Klinsmann for a 2nd WC cycle.
tysker
AG
oragator said:

Nothing about today will be comfortable. We will likely either be scratching for that goal late (Algeria) or desperately hanging on to a lead. And that has t always worked out for us (Portugal).

I imagine we see Acosta for some quality CONCACAFing if we are winning in the late stages
deadbq03
AG
I'll take a more nuanced approach.

It's unquestionably a failure for ggg if we fail to advance. The more I think about our struggles at the 9, the more it makes me wonder… the common thread to all of our failures at the 9 is ggg. I wonder if he simply doesn't understanding attacking tactics well enough. Wales and surprisingly England were both winnable games if we knew how to score goals. We don't. And if we lose today, it'll happen because we struggle to score.

But bigger picture, this WC is a success because we're playing like a legit team. In past WCs, we were underdogs and we played like it. We're playing this WC like we belong to be here and going toe to toe with the best. It's a great foundation for success in 26… we just need better offensive creativity and we'd be legit contenders.

aggiephoenix02
tysker said:

oragator said:

I imagine we see Acosta for some quality CONCACAFing if we are winning in the late stages
I sure hope so…
oh no
AG
roughly 30 minutes from lineup release. my stomach is in knots already.
StinkyPinky
AG
We need to find a way to average more than 1 shot on goal per game. Hope this the game where that happens.
oh no
AG
scoring goals is hard. Harry Kane couldn't score against us. Does Southgate not understand attacking tactics well enough? Greggg has tried a lot of dudes at #9 in a 4-3-3 over the last 2+ years. There just aren't that many Erling Haslands or Robert Lewandowskis out there that are going to come waltzing through that door. Our wingers and the 9s we've tried do their best to be creative and break down parked buses. I wish we had Mile Robinson in Qatar for getting his head on set pieces. Just keep scrapping.
Dre_00
Rumor is CCV for Zimmerman and Ferreira up top.
wangus12
AG
oh no said:

scoring goals is hard. Harry Kane couldn't score against us. Does Southgate not understand attacking tactics well enough? Greggg has tried a lot of dudes at #9 in a 4-3-3 over the last 2+ years. There just aren't that many Erling Haslands or Robert Lewandowskis out there that are going to come waltzing through that door. Our wingers and the 9s we've tried do their best to be creative and break down parked buses. I wish we had Mile Robinson in Qatar for getting his head on set pieces. Just keep scrapping.
The answer is yes. Southgate does not understand tactics. England survives him 100% on their talent
oh no
AG
Dre_00 said:

don't mind saying a prayer and putting Jesus in there. ...means Gio would have to unseat Weah if he's going to start (probably not)

...but why CCV now? We've conceded only 1 goal in two matches with the current back line- and it was a pen. Let that same pair of CBs continue to work together.
wangus12
AG
oh no said:

Dre_00 said:

don't mind saying a prayer and putting Jesus in there. ...means Gio would have to unseat Weah if he's going to start (probably not)

...but why CCV now? We've conceded only 1 goal in two matches with the current back line- and it was a pen. Let that same pair of CBs continue to work together.
I'm convinced Berhalter hates using the same backline more than once or twice.
JJxvi
AG
My lineup for today would be 4-2-3-1

Turner. Robinson, Ream, Zimmerman, Dest. Adams, McKennie. Pulisic, Reyna, Weah. Sargent.
Aston94
AG
KCup17 said:

If we lose today will this whole cycle be a failure?

Get these thoughts out of your head and focus on victory!!!!
moneyag7
Roster hasn't officially been released by the team but reporters and such are running with what appears to be a pretty official line up

Turner
Dest, Carter-Vickers, Ream, Robinson
Adams, Musah, McKennie
Weah, Sargent, Pulisic
gougler08
AG
oh no said:

Dre_00 said:

Yeah, no CCV please
oh no
AG
I like it, but Greggg has never done a 4-2-3-1 like that and he won't start now. I can't foresee Musah being benched to get Gio on.
aggiephoenix02
Turner in goal, right?
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Good lord why? Why mix up your back line now? Was our 0 goals allowed against England not good enough?
moneyag7
Roster officially set as

Turner
Dest, Carter-Vickers, Ream, Robinson
Adams, Musah, McKennie
Weah, Sargent, Pulisic
wangus12
AG
Aston94
AG
Lineup confirmed:
Turner
Dest CCV Ream Robinson

M M A

Weah Sargent Pulisic
TexasA&M
AG
Maybe Berhalter thinking CCV better in one vs ones on the counter?
Aston94
AG
Of our 3 No 9, Sargent makes the most sense to me to start.

I do not understand CCV unless Zimmerman is hurt.
tysker
AG
Anyone else still weirded out by seeing numbers 24, 25, and 26 at a WC?
tysker
AG
Why bring Jesus if you dont him today?
oh no
AG
CCV - even though he prefers the left side - i guess we're not worried about him playing out with his right- he's gotta be a lot faster than zimmer and we need to kill counters in this game. ...or maybe CCV has been better in the air at training- for set-pieces ...or maybe zimmer took a knock in the last match or in training...
DeangeloVickers
AG
moneyag7
The addition of CCV in a game that will probably be dependent upon set pieces at some point is weird. He's the weakest in the air. Throw on top of that the fact that Ream and CCV have never played together for the USMNT....
oragator
I am not at all a WZ fan, but you have to question the idea of breaking up the defensive line at this stage. For a guy that hasn't played a minute in this tournament.
Aston94
AG
tysker said:

Why bring Jesus if you dont him today?

We have a lot of people on the bench that haven't started. I don't understand this line of thinking.
Rudyjax
AG
fotmob just went out

Pulisic Sargent weah
Musah Adams Mckennie
Jedi Ream CCV DEst

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.