***** USMNT vs Iran WC Game Thread (11/29) *****

63,897 Views | 1367 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
USMNT vs Iran
World Cup Group B
Tuesday, Nov. 29
2:00 pm ET
Al Thumama, Doha

Big Fox, Telemundo
jeffk
AG
US will advance out of the group with a win by any margin.

US will advance and win the group with a win AND an England loss to Wales OR a win by more than four goals AND an England tie with Wales.
Thunder18
AG
Let's ****ing GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Pahdz
Let's get it boys
ja86
TXAggie2011
wangus12
Agthatbuilds
deadbq03
AG
Thanks for the thread and the math.
KCup17
AG
LETS GOOOOOO!!!!!!

Let's get this dub and kickoff to the knockout round!
aggiephoenix02
2-1 USA
Agthatbuilds
We gonna go back to cardiac kids?????
PatAg
AG
My heart says we jump on them early and win by 3 goals.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
5-0 USA.
jeffk
AG
deadbq03 said:

Thanks for the thread and the math.

You're welcome! Glad to be back home. And I checked and double checked that math.
La Bamba
AG
I want the US to dole out a beating but I see more of a 2010 Algeria type of game, I think someone else mentioned this in another thread. Pulisic scores the go-ahead goal in the 70+ minute mark and the US advances.
Out in Left Field
AG
If we're not up at half, I would be pretty nervous.
jeffk
AG
Out in Left Field said:

If we're not up at half, I would be pretty nervous.

I will remain nervous for the next 48 hours regardless of score, tyvm.
oh no
AG
I'm already nervous as hell and that won't change until the final whistle.
oh no
AG
USA has not shown to be a squad that is capable of relentlessly attacking and finishing opportunities to pour on goals and break their opponents' will.

Most recent results:

Nov22 World Cup:
v Wales: 1 goal
v England: 0 goals

Sep22 World cup warm-up friendlies:
v Japan: 0 goals
v Saudi: 0 goals

midJune 22: concacaf nations league:
v El Salvador: 1 goal
v Grenada: 5 goals

earlyJune 22: friendlies:
v Uruguay: 0 goals
v Morocco: 3 goals

March 22 final WCQ window in concacaf:
v Mexico: 0 goals
v Costa Rica: 0 goals
v Honduras: 3 goals

Don't count the grenada match. That leaves only Morocco back in June and Honduras last March - 2 of 10 - where we scored multiple goals.
Unemployed
AG
3-1 The United States of America!!!
tysker
AG
How many goals did the US concede in those games?

Iran will not be able to sit back and absorb pressure for 90+ minutes, they will have to open things up. Iran playing for a tie is basically playing to lose. Iran has the pressure on them to score at least one.
akm91
AG
tysker said:

How many goals did the US concede in those games?

Iran will not be able to sit back and absorb pressure for 90+ minutes, they will have to open things up. Iran playing for a tie is basically playing to lose. Iran has the pressure on them to score at least one.
Iran doesn't have pressure to score if they don't let us score. They'll sit back, give us possession and absorb pressure to try to hit us on the counter.

Iran forced Wales into 62% possession. We're going to have to do something with all the possesion and not just try to whip crosses into the box.

The question is will Berhalter start Fereira at the 9 hoping he'll help unlock the low block that Iran will surely set up with.
tysker
AG
Quote:

Iran forced Wales into 62% possession. We're going to have to do something with all the possesion and not just try to whip crosses into the box.
Wales had 10 shots, 3 on target. 2 corners and 2 offsides. Iran had 21 shots and 6 on target. I didn't watch the game but highlights make it seem like Iran was clearly the more aggressive team. If teh US only manages 10 shots plus 2 corners, they likely lose.

The US has more offensive firepower than Wales and nothing to lose. The game is calling for Weah up top with Gio on the right wing.
akm91
AG
Most of Iran's chances prior to the goals were off the counter attack. They were not the aggressors as that's not how they play. They're set up to bunker and hit you on the counter.
oh no
AG
I'm just pointing out to the people hoping we whip Iran with all these goals, don't get your hopes up.

I agree- Iran should be through with just a draw, but they can't simply play for a draw and just assume Wales is losing at the same time our match is going on. I suppose they can park the bus and look to counter and if they hear their coaches on the sidelines yell that Wales is winning at any time, they can start pressing and attacking more. Regardless of what their tactics are, USA needs to take the early possession if it's given to them, and keep the pressure on until they go up. Tactics will change if they go up; can't panic and make a mistake; will need to find a way to score a second goal on a counter instead of scoring with possession.

It's a simple task for USA- win and you're in - but it's going to be a tough task. I'm so nervous, but I can't wait.
akm91
AG
Quote:

I agree- Iran should be through with just a draw, but they can't simply play for a draw and just assume Wales is losing at the same time our match is going on.
Iran only has to be worried if Wales beat England by 3 goals; anything less than that Iran goes through on GD at the minimum.
oh no
AG
yeah; we should have lots of possession. have to be excellent on killing counters and not do anything stupid defensively. can we be dangerous with our possession? can we be creative in breaking down that defense and can we be clinical and finish some chances? I feel like we will almost certainly need a second goal this time.

tysker
AG
That's how England and Wales played us as well and how'd that workout for them? The US was clearly the better team in both games. Wales only tied because they were the aggressor in the second half and stopped bunkering as much. I would argue England only tied because Maguire played flawless and Haji Wright did not.

I'm not saying it wont be hard for the US to break down the Iranian low block, but if the US does gets a glimmer of hope, and they start to believe like Ted Lasso, the pressure will be on Iran to disallow a goal for 90+ minutes, which is hard to do.
akm91
AG
Quote:

That's how England and Wales played us as well and how'd that workout for them?
Say what? England didn't bunker against us. They had 55% possession.
deadbq03
AG
I'm hoping the 4-4-2 we saw in the first half is a precursor to a rotational false-9 system. Put Aaronson or Reyna up there with Weah.
Out in Left Field
AG
In my "easier said than done" analysis, we seemed to have a ton of blocked shots against England. We need to do better to create that bit of space to get the ball on target.
oh no
AG
I think we need to be ambitious and take longer shots. don't need to break them down and wait for mistakes. you can clean up some junk on rebounds and deflections. take some shots from outside the 18 instead of sending the balls out wide in the corner and hope some crosses can be sent.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
I can see ggg going with Wright and Jesus in some combo up top. I see several opportunities from crosses with the box jammed with defenders and ggg trying to get our guys that are better in the air to connect. For the record, I am not sure I like this, just that I can see ggg trying it. I would say goals come on corner kicks, but I don't think that will ever happen. CP did much better against the limeys on his corners, but it just ain't our thing I guess.
tysker
AG
akm91 said:

Quote:

That's how England and Wales played us as well and how'd that workout for them?
Say what? England didn't bunker against us. They had 55% possession.
Most of that possession was in the first 15-20 minutes and after England's subs. Both team teams basically sat in a mid-block the US however tried to work the ball forward whereas the Brits tried to mostly counter. The US gladly let England hold the ball in their own final third and applied a high press. So those possession stats are misleading, imo

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.