***** USMNT vs Iran WC Game Thread (11/29) *****

66,144 Views | 1367 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
birdman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Berhalter made the right decision up top. Sargent was terrific in first half.
OasisMan
AG
Dunno how you call that off
birdman
I would not make any changes to lineup. We are winning and Iran has shown no signs of life. There have been maybe 10 quality chances. US has 9 of them.

Watch Pulisic closely at the break. If he can't go 95% or better, pull him immediately.
PJYoung
AG
OasisMan said:

Dunno how you call that off

Technology. Looked barely on to me.
wangus12
AG
Dre_00 said:

It absolutely annoys me how they do this. The only parts that should count are the legs. Upper body lean should never be used for offsides.
JJxvi
AG
No part of his body except arm can be ahead of defender if defender had no arms. He was off, you can tell even in the still shots. Defenders arm doesnt count.
Aggies1322
AG
birdman said:

I would not make any changes to lineup. We are winning and Iran has shown no signs of life. There have been maybe 10 quality chances. US has 9 of them.

Watch Pulisic closely at the break. If he can't go 95% or better, pull him immediately.

I agree.. if he can go, he can go. If he can't, Reyna or Aaronson can.
bagger05
AG
JJxvi said:

He was off. IMO the rule should be changed to where any overlap is onside but as is some of his body was ahead of the defended

Agreed. Wish offside was "totally clear of the defender." In this WC alone there'd be like ten more goals.
Pahdz
I don't know why it cant be like track and field. Torso is what they go off
ColoradoMooseHerd
Overall good half but not a fan of our foot skills.

Way too many first touches were way too hard or misplayed. Possession is already being dominated, but if we had better first touches this would almost be embarrassing how much time we would possess. Not happy with our 1v1 skills.

And last complaint is we still play too week. Hopefully by next world cup these guys gain some muscle without losing speed.
planoaggie123
AG
I would like to see us bring in Lalas and Balboa to shore up things in the back....Wynalda up front....
DeangeloVickers
AG
Aaronson warming up heavily
Jarrin' Jay
AG
FIFA needs to get with the 2000s and change the interpretation of this rule similar to a QB illegal forward pass.

IMHO they should change the interpretation and enforcement to the attacking player, ALL of the attacking player, being behind that defender, as such the above would be onside.

Would boost scoring and chances created.
Aggies1322
AG
DeangeloVickers said:

For Pulisic I assume. He will be great running at those tired legs.
deadbq03
AG
JJxvi said:

He was off. IMO the rule should be changed to where any overlap is onside but as is some of his body was ahead of the defended
That just moves the goalposts. We'd be just as mad when VAR reveals a 2 inch gap.

I think we need to have ARs make a call and it only gets overturned if it's egregiously wrong. Egregious means you can spot it on a live action, full speed replay. I'll add that on scoring plays, AR should raise the flag, but not whistle… he makes his call but doesn't stop play.
JJxvi
AG
With the lead Id be tempted to get Aaronson for Pulisic early even healthy
wangus12
AG
Aggies1322 said:

DeangeloVickers said:

That's the move I'd make
MB19
AG
birdman said:

Berhalter made the right decision up top. Sargent was terrific in first half.
I've never been a Sargent fan, but you are spot on. He was terrific. His hard work was great.
AustinScubaAg
AG
What will ggg do.
jeffk
AG
planoaggie123 said:

I would like to see us bring in Lalas and Balboa to shore up things in the back....Wynalda up front....

idk about this, they've lost a step or two.
TRM
AG
TRM said:

I have a meeting in a minute so I'm sure we'll score while I'm in it.
Do I need to get a last minute meeting scheduled during the 2nd half?
JJxvi
AG
deadbq03 said:

JJxvi said:

That just moves the goalposts. We'd be just as mad when VAR reveals a 2 inch gap.

I think we need to have ARs make a call and it only gets overturned if it's egregiously wrong. Egregious means you can spot it on a live action, full speed replay.

Technology is good, human bias is real, and even where it doesnt exist perception is not perfect. The system is fine, i want the rule changed to increase scoring and pace not because I think calling it is flawed
jeffk
AG
deadbq03 said:

JJxvi said:

I think we need to have ARs make a call and it only gets overturned if it's egregiously wrong. Egregious means you can spot it on a live action, full speed replay. I'll add that on scoring plays, AR should raise the flag, but not whistle… he makes his call but doesn't stop play.

This is one area where MLS does it right. No lines on the replay. Has to be clearly on or off to overrule the call on the field.
planoaggie123
AG
jeffk said:

planoaggie123 said:

idk about this, they've lost a step or two.

I was just informed they did not make the roster...shocked....i would be ok with Aaronson
wangus12
AG
Aaronson on for Pulisic
PJYoung
AG
Welp. Pulisic out.
AustinScubaAg
AG
wangus12 said:

Aggies1322 said:

DeangeloVickers said:

That's the move I'd make
Depends on how much Mckinney has in the tank.
birdman
TRM said:

TRM said:

I have a meeting in a minute so I'm sure we'll score while I'm in it.
Do I need to get a last minute meeting scheduled during the 2nd half?
yes
Medina Co Ag
AG
Keep attacking and locking down that MF! Let's gooooooo
boogieman
AG
Let's go Aaronson!
Wabs
AG
Gotta keep the pressure on. 1 goal not enough.
birdman
Matt Turner is good dribbler and good passer. And I hope I never see it again this half.

Safety first.
deadbq03
AG
JJxvi said:

deadbq03 said:

JJxvi said:

I think we need to have ARs make a call and it only gets overturned if it's egregiously wrong. Egregious means you can spot it on a live action, full speed replay.

Technology is good, human bias is real, and even where it doesnt exist perception is not perfect. The system is fine, i want the rule changed to increase scoring and pace not because I think calling it is flawed
Ahh. Well if we're going down that road, I want offside changed to Van Basten's recommendation, where you draw a line across the top of the box and offside doesn't exist past it.
JJxvi
AG
Woo nervy Iran
dallasiteinsa02
AustinScubaAg said:

wangus12 said:

Aggies1322 said:

DeangeloVickers said:

That's the move I'd make
Depends on how much Mckinney has in the tank.
Acosta comes on for him pretty quickly is my bet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.