***** USMNT vs Iran WC Game Thread (11/29) *****

64,747 Views | 1367 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
jeffk
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'll pass all this on to Gregg.
Mathguy64
AG
Quote:

I'd like to see Jesus playing forward today. Keep trying keys until one of them opens the lock. Sargent and Wright weren't bad but didn't wow anybody. I'm not sure if he is the answer but it's worth a shot.
The definition of insanity is doing the same failed thing over and over again.
oh no
AG
computer models showing Iran with a 58% chance to advance

letsssgo USA.

I believe that we will win.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Cough cough
Man what a day to be sick
Furlock Bones
AG
joemeister
Aston94
AG
It's Gameday!!!!!!!!
oh no
AG
****Nerd alert****

based on expected tactics initially on the pitch, Prince of Persia and Captain America should change weapons with each other:

vs

Gordo14
oh no said:

computer models showing Iran with a 58% chance to advance

letsssgo USA.

I believe that we will win.

Betting maekets have the USA at slightly better than 50/50 to win at +100.
Aston94
AG
NorCal
I expect Iran to play for the draw. Yes, their strategy is defense and counter attack, but it'll be even more so today. I don't expect Wales to get more than a point against England, so a point is all Iran needs,

We need to score multiple goals to get our 3 points.
KCup17
AG
Need to come out swinging. Score first and then continue to put the foot down. Need at minimum a 2 goal cushion going into the last 10 mins of play.
wangus12
AG
Don't be afraid to shoot today. Let them rip from all over
tysker
AG
just because

LeonardSkinner
tysker said:

just because

Sigh… back when the kits and players were both clutch.
KCup17
AG
If we lose today will this whole cycle be a failure?
La Bamba
AG
yea those unis were sick. What part of if "it aint broke dont fix it" do we not understand when it comes to our kit?
Aggies1322
AG
KCup17 said:

Lose or draw, would both be a failure.. with the talent pool we have, you have to get out of this group.
moneyag7
KCup17 said:

There's levels to failure. 10/10/17 was a catastrophic failure that affected the game as a whole in the states. Whether eliminiation today is just a dissapointment or a failure depends on your view of a lot of different factors.
Dissapointment = we aren't losing a lot of talent from this World Cup to next World Cup that we're hosting so the game in the states and team itself won't take a huge hit. One dumb challenge away from a win against Wales and looked better than England when we played them.
Failure = tell us a month ago that all we need to do is beat Iran after looking like we did against England and we can't get it done with this talent level?

Personally, I would consider it a failure. That could change when I look back at this tournament a month from now though.
dallasiteinsa02
NM
An L of an Ag
AG
Games like this make me miss Dempsey. If anyone was gonna score early, it was him.
Rudyjax
AG
An L of an Ag said:

Games like this make me miss Dempsey. If anyone was gonna score early, it was him.
He hit the post against T&T in his last cap.
tysker
AG
moneyag7 said:

KCup17 said:

There's levels to failure. 10/10/17 was a catastrophic failure that affected the game as a whole in the states. Whether eliminiation today is just a dissapointment or a failure depends on your view of a lot of different factors.
Dissapointment = we aren't losing a lot of talent from this World Cup to next World Cup that we're hosting so the game in the states and team itself won't take a huge hit. One dumb challenge away from a win against Wales and looked better than England when we played them.
Failure = tell us a month ago that all we need to do is beat Iran after looking like we did against England and we can't get it done with this talent level?

Personally, I would consider it a failure. That could change when I look back at this tournament a month from now though.
I think I'm here. Kind of matters how we play today. I think we should have beat Wales and deserved to beat England, but would not have considered those to be options a month ago. Not making it through on a 2-2 tie giving up a fluky goal is different than a 0-1 loss or 0-0 tie where we cant breakdown the Iranian defense.

In a game where you need to score playing with a team that doesnt have traditional goal scorers its going to be tough sledding.
Rudyjax
AG
I can't get over that question to Adams.

Does Germany get mad when we call them Germany and not Deutchland?
France was when don't call the Francais?
Mexico when we don't say Me hi co?

A perfectly acceptable answer would be, in English it's spell Iran. If they wanted us to pronounce it in their language, it should be spelled Earron.

Rant over.
oh no
AG
KCup17 said:

last cycle we didn't even finish in top 4 of the concacaf Hex to qualify for a playoff to get to the world cup. That was colossal failure.

What we've seen over the last 1.5 years this cycle, winning the concacaf gold cup and the concacaf nations league and qualifying in 2nd in concacaf.. and what we saw last week in the 0-0 draw vs England in the World Cup - this cycle would be far from the colossal failure it was previously. Future is looking bright, regardless of what happens today. One of the youngest squads of 26 in the entire tournament - nearly all will still be in their 20s in four years.
JJxvi
AG
I don't think its a failure, 3 group games is a knife edge in the best of circumstances. Just look at 2010 the difference between advancing vs winning the group. We could have easily gone out vs Algeria and heard about how ****ty we were for years, and also we could have easily been through and not even needed a result from Algeria just with fair refereeing vs Slovenia. Not losing a game and going out would be an OK performance, its just that if you cannot win you cant advance.

This team is critically flawed. There is no goal scorer. There are no goals to make up for that from set pieces. Unless we get blown off the field today I think we played well, and I still think we can go advance easily today also.
KCup17
AG
For me it's a failure if we don't win today. We have the better talent throughout our roster. It is unacceptable to lose or tie when you know how they will come out playing. Doesn't mean it will be easy. I will go out on a limb and say if we lose today GGG should be sacked.
Legal Custodian
AG
tysker said:

just because

One of those moments I'll always remember where I was when I watched this.
La Bamba
AG
oh no said:

KCup17 said:

last cycle we didn't even finish in top 4 of the concacaf Hex to qualify for a playoff to get to the world cup. That was colossal failure.

What we've seen over the last 1.5 years this cycle, winning the concacaf gold cup and the concacaf nations league and qualifying in 2nd in concacaf.. and what we saw last week in the 0-0 draw vs England in the World Cup - this cycle would be far from the colossal failure it was previously. Future is looking bright, regardless of what happens today. One of the youngest squads of 26 in the entire tournament - nearly all will still be in their 20s in four years.
Agree with this. It'd be disappointing not to make it to the final 16 but not a failure.
JJxvi
AG
KCup17 said:

For me it's a failure if we don't win today. We have the better talent throughout our roster. It is unacceptable to lose or tie when you know how they will come out playing. Doesn't mean it will be easy. I will go out on a limb and say if we lose today GGG should be sacked.
He doesn't need to be sacked. His contract is up. He definitely shouldnt be back after a group exit, and I probably wouldnt bring him back after even like a quarters or seminfinals (I think bad things happen with the relationship with the player pool the longer a coach is around) although I am sure the USSF would likely bring him back again, but I bet it would be a mistake.
KCup17
AG
I'll change to should be his last game managing the USMNT.
oragator
Will be profoundly disappointed if we don't win, but it's not a failure.
We have talent, but we are young, only Yedlin had WC experience, already played two quality sides tough, and we were always gearing for '26 anyway given where we are age wise and the next cup being on home soil.
Marvin
AG
1998 called and wants revenge.
I love Texas Aggie sports, but I love Texas A&M more.
aggiephoenix02
Marvin said:

1998 called and wants revenge.
I remember!
PatAg
AG
sack up, cut out the loser talk

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.