***** USMNT vs Iran WC Game Thread (11/29) *****

66,140 Views | 1367 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
Atreides Ornithopter
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The couple of Iranians I have known at work, preferred to be called Persian. Is this common?
Rudyjax
AG
Dre_00 said:

I can't think of another play he could be referring to but it is entirely possible I blacked out for an undetermined period of time.
I can't either but it says he missed a header by inches.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Dre_00 said:

Lost all credibility with the Haji Wright rating and claiming he "almost scored", which he most definitely didn't, especially when the right play was to go to the corner and kill time.

There are only 2 options put it in the back of the net or take it to the corner

Hitting a shot a 7 year old keeper could save should have you never see the pitch again
oragator
Yes.
Iranians aren't Arabs so they very much like to make sure that distinction is made by calling themselves Persian. And if they don't like the government, it's their way of identifying with their homeland and not the regime as well.
Thunder18
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

The couple of Iranians I have known at work, preferred to be called Persian. Is this common?

One of my buddies at A&M who was Iranian always referred to himself as Persian.
KCup17
AG
Chuck Cunningham said:

Dre_00 said:

I can't think of another play he could be referring to but it is entirely possible I blacked out for an undetermined period of time.
I can't either but it says he missed a header by inches.

I can't for the life of me figure out what that header might be. I don't remember him ever barely missing a header
zgolfz85
AG
birdman said:

Mussah is getting tired at the end of the games. Everybody does.

At times, Mussah seems like 'all breaks, no gas' kind of player. If you have a wide-open game, up and down, Mussah is perfect. If you need to slog it out in possession, inch by inch game, Mussah isn't ideal. He's young and has potential to be great all-around player.

I don't think yall are giving enough credit to our opponents, specifically Wales and Iran. They changed formations and drastically changed their mindset. They were throwing everything and everybody forward. No matter who was on the pitch for USMNT, it was going to be frantic. United States were going to appear to be playing ping pong against Chinese Olympian. Desperate defense, followed by another wave 15 seconds later. Then again, until the whistle blows.

You hope to that Mussah can flip a switch and go into "Pablo Mastroeni mode". He doesn't have that yet.
agreed on that, but the concerning part given the opponents' shifts in the 2H of both of those games is that we didn't score any goals. We have to take advantage of counters going forward as we won't be controlling possession against the remaining teams.
oh no
AG
Arrakis ecologist said:

yes. They are Persian.
JJxvi
AG
He's giving Wright credit for "almost scoring" on a high cross from Aaronson that Wright couldnt even get his head to. So he almost scored, and would have if only they had, you know, actually done the things that could have happened to score.
Dre_00
Very common. Persian is an ethnicity rather than a nationality. There are Iranians who aren't Persian (though Persian is the dominant ethnicity). Plus it makes clear the historical connection to the Persian Empire much more apparent (and that they belong to that group and are not, for example, Kurdish) while at the same time sort of disavowing modern Iran. Modern day Iran now exists in Persia's cultural center and I think Iran has come to be synonymous with Persia but they aren't strictly speaking the same thing.

Growing up, I used both. Often times I'd use Persian if I thought the other person didn't know what Persian was or I thought saying Iranian would start a thing that I didn't have the energy to entertain.
deadbq03
AG
Dre_00 said:

Lost all credibility with the Haji Wright rating and claiming he "almost scored", which he most definitely didn't, especially when the right play was to go to the corner and kill time.
I agree he rated Wright too high, but "lost all credibility" is harsh. I've yet to find anyone's ratings for any game that doesn't have things I disagree with.

I still found this one better than others out there (like the ESPN turd who is giving Pulisic a 6 for some ungodly reason).
JJxvi
AG
My ratings are definitive. There might not be actual "numbers" or other witchcraft. But you can be sure they are as accurate as the ravings of a man who spent two hours pacing and yelling at the TV can possibly be after a short cooldown period to reflect.
zgolfz85
AG
Dre_00 said:

Very common. Persian is an ethnicity rather than a nationality. There are Iranians who aren't Persian (though Persian is the dominant ethnicity). Plus it makes clear the historical connection to the Persian Empire much more apparent (and that they belong to that group and are not, for example, Kurdish) while at the same time sort of disavowing modern Iran. Modern day Iran now exists in Persia's cultural center and I think Iran has come to be synonymous with Persia but they aren't strictly speaking the same thing.

Growing up, I used both. Often times I'd use Persian if I thought the other person didn't know what Persian was or I thought saying Iranian would start a thing that I didn't have the energy to entertain.
have a neighbor/buddy who's Kurdish -- what is the dynamic there?
Rudyjax
AG
You learn something every day. I always thought they were cats.
Unemployed
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

Is it just me or has musah really run out of gas at the end of the last two gamess.
Musah, Adams, and Pulisic, have done a lot of running.

zgolfz85
AG
watched the game live at a bar with the same crew I've watched with back to 2014. couple beers in at the end there, watched it sober on the replay at home later. Man, I didn't realize how close that near-penalty was at the end for us. No call was the right call obviously, but had he called a penalty on Carter-Vickers....we've certainly seen much worse calls over the years.

Also, F ESPN, but the ESPN FC pod was good. I listened last night to the ep that immediately followed our game....not bad.
zgolfz85
AG
RealTalk said:

AustinScubaAg said:

Is it just me or has musah really run out of gas at the end of the last two gamess.
Musah, Adams, and Pulisic, have done a lot of running.

sounds about right. no wonder we get gassed....none of our players have learned to walk or jog

I love that robinson full out sprints....just develop a better final touch
JJxvi
AG
Tyler Adams ran almost 10% further than any other player in the whole tournament through two games??

Edit: OK. I see. Thats just "running"
JJxvi
AG
They should make an award to give to the player that walks the furthest.
KCup17
AG
Like a Budweiser decal-ed Walkman or something
deadbq03
AG
zgolfz85 said:

Dre_00 said:

I used this video in a class I teach. It's the most concise summary I know of:

JJxvi
AG
Its interesting that Pulisic was in that top ten. Not strictly speaking playing centrally like everyone else in that list.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
zgolfz85 said:

The Kurds generally consider themselves a defined people/nationality. Their homelands stretch across the borders of Turkey, Iraq, Syria and Iran.

The Kurds were the principal victims of Saddam Hussein's aggression within Iraq, and easily the most pro-American of the various Iraqi groups. The government of Turkey was absolutely not OK with this.

At present, Kurds in Iraq have relative autonomy. The Assad government in Syria, the Iranian mullahs and the Erdogan regime in Turkey are very opposed to Kurdish nationalism, viewing this as having potential to foment rebellion and/or alliance with the Iraqi Kurds to form a homeland of 'greater Kurdistan'.

Not sure as to the dynamic between the Persian majority and Kurdish minority in Iran in the general populace on a day to day basis. Turkish nationalists generally don't like Kurds, and everyone in Iraq and Syria hates everyone else, it seems.

(Obviously all of the above is a gross oversimplification, but that's the general vibe.)
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
jeffk
AG
Jedi is me playing FIFA when I forget not to hold down sprint at all times.
jeffk
AG
Oh, man. We're getting into my human geography bag here huh?

The Kurds were always my go-to example of a "stateless nation" when we'd discuss the differences between a state, a nation, and a nation-state.
oh no
AG
Messi and Lewandowski have done a lot of walking!! I guess they've earned that right!
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
Thunder18 said:

Arrakis ecologist said:

One of my buddies at A&M who was Iranian always referred to himself as Persian.
Pretty much every Iranian I've ever met refers to themselves as Persian. Seems completely normal. The Iranians that I've met in the US that have opened up about it to one extent or another seem to have a serious disdain for the Iranian regime and the Islamist things that are imposed on them.
deadbq03
AG
jeffk said:

Oh, man. We're getting into my human geography bag here huh?

The Kurds were always my go-to example of a "stateless nation" when we'd discuss the differences between a state, a nation, and a nation-state.
Yeah that's what I used the video for, too.

And I have a soft spot for them due to a friendship I made in Iraq.

I'll share one more video… It's long but tells a soccer story I bet no one has heard about:

Aggies2009
AG

Man.... I know Robinson gave the ball away a few times in the second half, but he was flying all over the field in the first half. You can't say he didn't leave it all out there.
zgolfz85
AG
deadbq03 said:

zgolfz85 said:

Dre_00 said:

I used this video in a class I teach. It's the most concise summary I know of:

excellent, thanks!
Rule Number 32
AG
Aggies2009 said:

Man.... I know Robinson gave the ball away a few times in the second half, but he was flying all over the field in the first half. You can't say he didn't leave it all out there.
I've been pretty surprised by the reaction of most on here to his play. He was flat out abusing their RB early on, and through the middle of the game. He definitely gave the ball away some, but we were forcing it through his side repeatedly early on. I really thought the goal would have come from that side.
Rule Number 32
AG
oh no said:

Messi and Lewandowski have done a lot of walking!! I guess they've earned that right!
I wish I could find it - theres a video on youtube about Messi and how much he walks during games. He spends the vast majority of the first half just walking around, and they said basically he is studying the defense and how they react or shift to certain movements. He then utilizes that information to get open in the 2nd half. It was pretty fascinating.
Dre_00
It was hyperbole to make a point
Dre_00
Chuck Cunningham said:

You learn something every day. I always thought they were cats.
Funny you should say that...

Rudyjax
AG
Rule Number 32 said:

Aggies2009 said:

I've been pretty surprised by the reaction of most on here to his play. He was flat out abusing their RB early on, and through the middle of the game. He definitely gave the ball away some, but we were forcing it through his side repeatedly early on. I really thought the goal would have come from that side.
I've found if you like a player, you focus on the positive. If you don't , you focus on the negative.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.