***** USMNT vs Iran WC Game Thread (11/29) *****

66,165 Views | 1367 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
Rudyjax
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
https://www.instagram.com/reel/ClkWTyvtFZ8/?igshid=ZDhmZGIxNmQ=
Rudyjax
AG
Scrolling twitter, any updates on Sargent???
zgolfz85
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

zgolfz85 said:

JJxvi said:

Reyna should have been on the field for the last 25-30 minutes. The US needed a player who would be able to receive the ball and if necessary force them to foul. That 5-4-1 with all those players was suicidal, nobody on the pitch was a player who would be able to hold up the ball high on the pitch. Pulisic doesn't give you much when you think about defense, but he is immeasurably valuable when the US do have a late lead, IMO.
totally agree....really my only major beef with ggg thus far. ggg has been frustrating at times in managing, but not near to the point I thought he would pre-tourney.

Reyna just seems like the obvious spark and just as confusing to me as England not going to Foden in the first 2 games.

I still want to see Christian and Gio on the field together for at least 15 mins or so.
Regarding the highlighted part of your comment, Southgate might just be a worse manager than GGG. I haven't perused any England fan chats but I have to imagine there are a lot of Brits saying the same regarding Foden. He's a dynamic player.

Very dynamic. In hearing southgate's comments after their first 2 games, he's pigeon holing him real bad. Foden can play in several spots and is creative wherever he does play. Been a real head scratcher. Gio seeing limited time is frustrating but nowhere close to Foden's exclusion.
Rudyjax
AG
AustinScubaAg
AG
Is it just me or has musah really run out of gas at the end of the last two gamess.
Rudyjax
AG
AustinScubaAg said:

Is it just me or has musah really run out of gas at the end of the last two gamess.

All 3.
Mathguy64
AG
Finally got a chance to watch. Great 1H and like Wales we took our foot off the throat in 2H. But we play on.
Aston94
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Finally got a chance to watch. Great 1H and like Wales we took our foot off the throat in 2H. But we play on.

I didn't feel like we "took our foot off" today like we did against Wales. I think more accurately was Iran played the second half in full desperation mode and we had to sink back a bit.

My only disappointment was that we did not find a way to get a second goal on one of the counters. Thought we did with Weah, but was unfortunately offside.
KCup17
AG
I think our biggest issue was that we couldn't keep possession when we got the ball forward. When Sargent went off we lost all ability to hold the ball. So Iran just kept cycling the ball back at us much like we did to them in the first half. We were super gassed by the 80th.

GGG got his subs all wrong today. Except BA and Zim. And BA got barely any opportunity to show his quality.
Rudyjax
AG

Pulisic seeing Weah reminds me of Ryan in the Office when he sees Michael in New York.

https://images.app.goo.gl/PfjQ23f5fjQ8mK2y9
akm91
AG
Good sportsmanship from the guys

Rudyjax
AG
I hate to see what might happen to those Iranians.

While life in this world is better than ever, there are still some evil people.

But……….

Sargent doesn't look seriously injured here!
deadbq03
AG
Good observation. He's not gonna squat like that voluntarily if he was truly injured.
Aston94
AG
KCup17 said:

I think our biggest issue was that we couldn't keep possession when we got the ball forward. When Sargent went off we lost all ability to hold the ball. So Iran just kept cycling the ball back at us much like we did to them in the first half. We were super gassed by the 80th.

GGG got his subs all wrong today. Except BA and Zim. And BA got barely any opportunity to show his quality.

I agree that Sargent had a better game than Haji did, for sure. I need to go back and rewatch Haji's performance, but I think the most disappointing thing was not dribbling to a corner and seeing the game out there at the end of the match. He gave Iran a last gasp chance.

I though Acosta was good in a second 6 role. He backed up Adams on a couple of occasions and did not make any mistakes that I noticed. So McKennie was tiring, I don't think he got that sub wrong.

Zimmerman was good in his role, but when he came in at 82 minutes we went from a 4-3-3 to a 5-4-1, so Wright had all of 5 minutes where he wasn't the sole forward, so comparing his hold up to Sargent's is a bit unfair.

Aaronson I thought was really good, doing Aaronson things and helping on defense as well.

Shaq Moore was awful. I have never seen so many give aways in such a short amount of time. I cannot believe he is a better option than Yedlin or a tired Dest.

Musah looked like he needed a sub the last 10 minutes, and him being on the side of Moore only exasperated the problem. If Pulisic doesn't go down I would assume that sub would have been used for Musah, but we didn't have another available.

I would have loved to have seen Reyna running at a tired back line for Iran in Musah's place, that would have been fun.

So my team ratings (1-10):

Jedi---7. Did good work running up the side and making crosses, but lacked that perfect cross. He put in a strong defensive effort the last 20-30 minutes.

Ream---7. Solid, not sure why this dude hasn't been with the team since the start of WCQ, but man are we fortunate he was out there. Few loose passes today, but solid in defense.

CCV---7. Gregg really proved me wrong on this one. I thought it was not smart to change out CD in game 3, but he played really well. Could have all been for naught if the referee had awarded a pk on his hand on the shoulder, but played a solid match.

Dest---8. I love Sergino Dest! What a great performance, so many great crosses and wonderful pssing sequences with Weah and Musah. His best game so far in the WC.

Adams---7. Tyler Adams did Tyler Adams things all game, he did have players run by him a few times near the end, and he had a few loose passes, which lowered him to a 7, but another great performance.

McKennie---7. I didn't think Weston was as influential today, but that could have had more to do with Iran playing in a 5-4-1 until the goal. The pass to Dest to set him up for the cross to Pulisic was sublime.

Musah---7. Musah first 60 minutes was a 9, Musah last 30 minutes was a 4-5. When he is on he is so much fun to watch.

Weah---8. Great game by Weah, really coming into his own, so dangerous on the wing. Should have had a goal or two, and rating would have been even higher.

Pulisic---9. MOTM, was a great finish, wonderful run to get there. He was dangerous the whole match, taking the punishment doled out by Iran and continuing to find space in their defense.

Sargent---7. Held up play and made some great run and passes. But a 9 has to score at some point, and he wasn't really close today that I can remember.

Subs:
Aaronson--7
Acosta--6
Wright--5
Zimmerman--7
Moore--2
KCup17
AG
I'd agree on most of those ratings. My biggest knocks to Haji were on 2 distinct passages of play. The 1st one was when there was a ball in the air and he was by himself and instead of control the ball pick his head up and ping it to Aaronson who was away on goal he went and looked for a defender to run into before getting the ball. He ended up missing both ball and man and killed an opportunity for a 2v1. His 2nd one was the flubbed shot. He had acres of space to either take an additional touch then lay it off or go for goal or take the ball into the corner. Those 2 among others made me really frustrated with his presence on the pitch.

I really thought Jesus or Reyna would have been better sub for Sargent.
Dre_00
Aaronson plays in the middle for Leeds. He looks uncomfortable wide in my opinion. Not that he can't play wide but when you've been playing in the middle for your club, I can understand why your sub appearances in a wide position might be underwhelming. Yet another reason to give Reyna a crack at first sub.
Dre_00
TXAggie2011 said:

Oh, and Adams was pretty good but that wasn't his most impactful game

That pass Adams made to spring Weah for that 3v3 in the 1st half was ridiculous. And if Adams can start doing that on a semi-consistent basis...my lord our midfield will be absurd for the next 8 years.
Dre_00
YokelRidesAgain said:

oragator said:

Feel terrible for their players. Both sides there using them as pawns in a much larger game.
All kidding aside, I know several native Iranians professionally and all of them hate their country's government with a black passion. I would have thought potentially biased sample given that they have chosen to live in the US, but maybe not.

One thing that is not immediately apparent to most Americans from media coverage is the degree to which the 1979 revolution is an "OK Boomer" type of phenomenon. Their nutter Ayatollah's Twitter account (yep, actually a thing) is constantly making reference to "the previous regime". They seem obtuse to the reality that no one under 50 has any meaningful recollection of the previous regime. The women in particular seem to be of the opinion that if the previous regime meant you could walk around without a burqa and not get cracked upside the head, that doesn't sound so bad.

I'm half Iranian. Mother was born there and emigrated to the US when she was 16 to go to college. To say that watching the game was a complex experience for me is an understatement. Ultimately, I wanted the US to win but there were about a dozen different layers of experiences watching that game which I won't go into. I'm not even sure I fully understand them myself.

I agree with what you said. I have met a lot of Iranians who are a part of the diaspora and I can say that not a single one of them has anything remotely positive to say about the current regime. Which you would expect. That's why they left. But, that sentiment is largely replicated in Iran as well. Of course there are those who are pro-regime. Inevitably they are the ones that benefit from the regime. But such a small number of Iranians actually benefit from the regime that the vast majority are either vaguely indifferent/apathetic to the regime (a sort of "it doesn't matter who is the leader, they will all suck and I'll still be poor") or actively hostile against it.

It can not be overstated how important the Iranian national team has historically meant to the people of Iran. It is a physical manifestation of the pride Iranians have in being Iranian (if you come to know an Iranian they will inevitably tell you all the different ways that Iran shaped the world...it's inevitable). It is on a level that has no comparable in the US. My mother didn't give a crap about sports. But she took pride in the national team because it was Iranian, not because it was soccer. (Sidenote: When the US lost to Iran in '98, she called me early in the morning and simply said in Farsi "Iran 2. America 1." and hung up. 99% of Iranians have at least that level of devotion and most have more.

To see how the platyers are now being used and the split it is causing is in some ways heartbreaking to watch...mostly for the players. They pressure and weight they feel is...unparalleled. I'm certain the tears they shed after the game were not simply tears of disappointment at losing. It was so much more than that.
Pahdz
I noticed during the game several moments of good sportsmanship from Iran that typically isn't seen on the pitch
jeffk
AG
Thanks for sharing. I think it's hard for a lot of Americans to understand just how deep or complex the feelings some fans in other nations have for their national team.
jeffk
AG
Sargent news

birdman
Mussah is getting tired at the end of the games. Everybody does.

At times, Mussah seems like 'all breaks, no gas' kind of player. If you have a wide-open game, up and down, Mussah is perfect. If you need to slog it out in possession, inch by inch game, Mussah isn't ideal. He's young and has potential to be great all-around player.

I don't think yall are giving enough credit to our opponents, specifically Wales and Iran. They changed formations and drastically changed their mindset. They were throwing everything and everybody forward. No matter who was on the pitch for USMNT, it was going to be frantic. United States were going to appear to be playing ping pong against Chinese Olympian. Desperate defense, followed by another wave 15 seconds later. Then again, until the whistle blows.

You hope to that Mussah can flip a switch and go into "Pablo Mastroeni mode". He doesn't have that yet.
deadbq03
AG
I like these ratings… and some of the stats this guy mentions for the subs aren't flattering at all.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/soccer/news/usa-player-ratings-iran-pulisic-goal-usmnt-world-cup-knockout/bgb6wybh7o8ri467tcwqeaii

To Dre's point above… Aaronson plays central, and when he's not central, he plays right side. I thought he looked lost on the left side. High motor, as always, but with almost no intentionality.

I thought Adams was tremendous. Leeds fans are raving about him:

ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
deadbq03 said:

Leeds fans are raving about him
I wonder if Adams time at Leeds is numbered
wangus12
AG
I'd wager yes.
gougler08
AG
ThunderCougarFalconBird said:

deadbq03 said:

Leeds fans are raving about him
I wonder if Adams time at Leeds is numbered
Someone is going to offer a big number for him
Dre_00
I doubt he leaves in January unless Leeds gets a mammoth offer. And I don't think they will. There will likely be more clubs keeping an eye on his play the last half of the season. If he keeps doing what he's doing, my guess is he leaves in the summer.
Agthatbuilds
Dre_00
Lost all credibility with the Haji Wright rating and claiming he "almost scored", which he most definitely didn't, especially when the right play was to go to the corner and kill time.
wangus12
AG
Agthatbuilds said:

We all felt that
Aston94
AG
I generally like those grades. I didn't think Aaronson was as off as they seem to think, I certainly cannot grade him below Haji Wright.

Adams has been awesome throughout the group stage. Just awesome.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Lost all credibility with the Haji Wright rating and claiming he "almost scored", which he most definitely didn't, especially when the right play was to go to the corner and kill time.
Calling that an "almost score" is laughable.
Rudyjax
AG
Aston94 said:

Dre_00 said:

Calling that an "almost score" is laughable.
Pretty sure he's referring to a different play.
Dre_00
I can't think of another play he could be referring to but it is entirely possible I blacked out for an undetermined period of time.
jeffk
AG
wangus12 said:

Agthatbuilds said:

We all felt that

Someone needs to cut the Zimmerman clearance with Immigrant Song (as in Thor Ragnarok).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.