***** USMNT vs Iran WC Game Thread (11/29) *****

66,212 Views | 1367 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Rudyjax
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
TheMasterplan said:

Dest has been one of my favorites on this team. The inside attack with the left foot is lethal.
He needs to be more aware on defense. Both of Iran's best chances came with him sleeping on his man.
Dre_00
MookieBlaylock said:

holland are a very good matchup for US- they are old and slow - really favorable bracket if we continue to improve

On that note, if Poland doesn't lose to Argentina tomorrow, then that side of the bracket really opens up. If Poland doesn't lose, we're in a situation where more than likely either the Netherlands, Poland, Saudi Arabia, Denmark, Australia, or the US are playing in a World Cup semi-final.
OneBlitzer
AG
Iconic goal!
JJxvi
AG
All feels no data player ratings.

Sargent - Decent game. Link up play excellent, end product, whether provided by finishing or passing still absent from American attack though.

Pulisic - Winning goal turns an "ok at best" half into a great one.

Weah - Decent game

McKennie - Good. Very mediocre compared to expectations, but crucial pass on the goal.

Musah - Good. Best game of the tournament for him, not displayed to good affect playing all 90.

Adams - Excellent.

Robinson - Very good game. Another player out there too long.

Ream - Great.

Carter-Vickers - Good.

Dest - Great game in the attack. Beautiful assist. Still a liability when the US cant hold the ball.

Turner - Good

Aaronson - Disappointing. Thought he would play himself into a match given a lot of field time. Not the case here.

Acosta - Man he replaced arguably didn't play his best, but mostly invisible replacing him.

Wright - Awful. Tired Sargent on one leg probably would have been better.

Moore - Bad today. Sometimes shows flashes of attacking game, but opportunity and what we needed from him was way different today.

Zimmerman - Good. The only sub who came in and provided what was sorely needed from them.

Rudyjax
AG
Potcake said:

MookieBlaylock said:

did Pullisic just sacrifice his left nut to win?

I mean, it worked for Lance Armstrong.

Oh, and the steroids.
Blood doping.
Dre_00
wangus12 said:

TheMasterplan said:

Dest has been one of my favorites on this team. The inside attack with the left foot is lethal.
He needs to be more aware on defense. Both of Iran's best chances came with him sleeping on his man.

That's what you get with Dest and it's not going to change. He's attack first, defend second. The Trent Alexander Arnold of the USMNT. I wish he was better at both but I'm OK with it that he's not. The bigger issue is that when he doesn't play well in the attacking half, he is a huge detriment. Feast or famine with that guy.
AgGrad99
AG
Curious why you thought Aaronson didnt play well?

I thought he was pretty active and kept their back line busy.

I didnt think he was great, but thought he played good.
Unemployed
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

holland are a very good matchup for US- they are old and slow - really favorable bracket if we continue to improve
I thought that Belgium was old and slow? At least that's what DeBruyne and Hazard said.
Rudyjax
AG
AgGrad99 said:

Agreed.
aggiephoenix02
JJxvi said:

All feels no data player ratings.

Sargent - Decent game. Link up play excellent, end product, whether provided by finishing or passing still absent from American attack though.

Pulisic - Winning goal turns an "ok at best" half into a great one.

Weah - Decent game

McKennie - Good. Very mediocre compared to expectations, but crucial pass on the goal.

Musah - Good. Best game of the tournament for him, not displayed to good affect playing all 90.

Adams - Excellent.

Robinson - Very good game. Another player out there too long.

Ream - Good.

Carter-Vickers - Good.

Dest - Great game in the attack. Beautiful assist. Still a liability when the US cant hold the ball.

Turner - Good

Aaronson - Disappointing. Thought he would play himself into a match given a lot of field time. Not the case here.

Acosta - Man in front of him didn't play his best, but mostly invisible replacing him.

Wright - Awful. Tired Sargent on one leg probably would have been better.

Moore - Bad today. Sometimes shows flashes of attacking game, but opportunity and what we needed from him was way different today.

Zimmerman - Good. The only sub who came in and provided what was sorely needed from them.

I thought Ream played incredibly well…
aggiephoenix02
RealTalk said:

MookieBlaylock said:

I thought that Belgium was old and slow? At least that's what DeBruyne and Hazard said.
They we're, we **** the bed…
JJxvi
AG
Ream should be "Great". I think I accidentally gave him Carter-Vickers score. Ream has been a life saver on the back line.
carl spacklers hat
Kunkle for Congress TX-34 said:

Are those really the best 11 players in the United States of America?

I mean seriously...we have over 330,000,000 people in this country, and that is it? I've seen better finishers in the adult league of BCS! Or is this about the players that have been coddled through the various "elite" systems in the US...

Even freakin' Portugal has Ronaldo and still keeps Pepe (39) as captain...

I feel like this hype is just like the Freddy Adu situation where "the future will be exciting."

Ok, rant over.
Good lord, dude.
People think I'm an idiot or something, because all I do is cut lawns for a living.
Rudyjax
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

RealTalk said:

MookieBlaylock said:

We Wondolowski'd it.
wangus12
AG
aggiephoenix02 said:

RealTalk said:

MookieBlaylock said:

They were not old and slow in 2014. They were probably just hitting their peak then.
aggiephoenix02
wangus12 said:

aggiephoenix02 said:

RealTalk said:

MookieBlaylock said:

They were not old and slow in 2014. They were probably just hitting their peak then.
If the peak of their golden generation was beating us in the round of 16 I can accept that…
Rudyjax
AG
carl spacklers hat said:

Kunkle for Congress TX-34 said:

Are those really the best 11 players in the United States of America?

I mean seriously...we have over 330,000,000 people in this country, and that is it? I've seen better finishers in the adult league of BCS! Or is this about the players that have been coddled through the various "elite" systems in the US...

Even freakin' Portugal has Ronaldo and still keeps Pepe (39) as captain...

I feel like this hype is just like the Freddy Adu situation where "the future will be exciting."

Ok, rant over.
Good lord, dude.
This is the brightest US Soccer has ever looked.

PJYoung
AG
OneBlitzer said:

Iconic goal!

The screen cap on the highlights:

Dre_00
I did NOT think about this but it makes a lot of sense. Tip of the cap to you Gregg.

JJxvi
AG
I'm incredibly pleased we survived. Because that 5-4-1 we ended the game with was just terrible. Maybe you could do that with Pulisic and a legit target forward on the field but I'm really relieved that the stood up to the pressure, and saw it out with very little hope of relief beyond hero ball counter attacks or a lucky turnover.
oh no
AG
Dest and Scally are natural RBs that can play on the left side, but the fact that we only have one true left back, I said weeks ago that Jedi might have to go full 90 in every single match as long as he's healthy.. .and through three group stage matches, he, along with his Fulham teammate Ream, have done so. Very well done.
Rudyjax
AG
Twellman said that on the broadcast and it's makes a hell of a lot of sense.
Valtrex_11
Dest is not a rb he plays out of position he would be better in a more advanced position
Agthatbuilds
Valtrex_11 said:

Dest is not a rb he plays out of position he would be better in a more advanced position

Isn't he our version of Dani alves? That's what barca wanted out of him
Rudyjax
AG
JJxvi said:

I'm incredibly pleased we survived. Because that 5-4-1 we ended the game with was just terrible. Maybe you could do that with Pulisic and a legit target forward on the field but I'm really relieved that the stood up to the pressure, and saw it out with very little hope of relief beyond hero ball counter attacks or a lucky turnover.
And if we just maintain possession it's a hell of a lot easier, but he brought in Moore and Acosta and Zimmerman (who defended great) who aren't great in possession.
aggiephoenix02
Valtrex_11 said:

Are you trolling this board too!?!?
BAP Enthusiast
OneBlitzer said:

Iconic goal!

That goal is now tied with Donovan's for an all timer for the US team.
JJxvi
AG
AgGrad99 said:

If Aaronson's name was something like "Jordan Morris" or "Paul Arriola" I dont think anyone would be praising that performance. He gave some energy, but thats about it. I also think his teammates let him down some too on what potentially could have been counters, but in the end the ball didnt come to him.
Agthatbuilds
aggiephoenix02
BAP Enthusiast said:

OneBlitzer said:

Iconic goal!

Whatever…

WHICH iconic World Cup goal by Donovan are you referring too?!?
KCup17
AG
Definitely not the worst player but early on he was struggling. Delivered in a big moment though.
Rudyjax
AG
BAP Enthusiast said:

OneBlitzer said:

Iconic goal!

I'd like to see the advance analytics on that. He blew through those defenders like they were standing still I'm guessing he hit that keeper at ~20mph.

Gordo14
JJxvi said:

AgGrad99 said:

If Aaronson's name was something like "Jordan Morris" or "Paul Arriola" I dont think anyone would be praising that performance. He gave some energy, but thats about it. I also think his teammates let him down some too on what potentially could have been counters, but in the end the ball didnt come to him.

He had some bright moments in the attacking 3rd. I just think he didn't really have an outlet today.
JJxvi
AG
Reyna should have been on the field for the last 25-30 minutes. The US needed a player who would be able to receive the ball and if necessary force them to foul. That 5-4-1 with all those players was suicidal, nobody on the pitch was a player who would be able to hold up the ball high on the pitch. Pulisic doesn't give you much when you think about defense, but he is immeasurably valuable when the US do have a late lead, IMO.
oh no
AG
Valtrex_11 said:

well, Greggg was putting him at left back when he first started getting called to the national team, while Barca at the time was rotating him between winger and right back. He has said himself he's most comfortable at right back. I think a right wingback is his best spot if he finds a club team that prefers three CBs. Regardless, if something happens to Jedi, it's him or scally playing somewhere they've proven to be suitable, but not their best spots. We don't have another LB and i was giving props to Jedi for going full-90 every single match.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.