Arsenal 2017-2018 Thread

98,508 Views | 1739 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by PJYoung
wangus12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Auba Laca connection!
texagbeliever
I love everything about that goal. If arsenal are able to get in behind it will allow them to control the middle. Bummer that Auba can't line up in europa league
wangus12
AG
Well this is about what we can expect for the rest of the season. Young teams that can't create. Better be careful because we could easily fall into 7th. Although if that happens and we crash out of Europa then I don't see Wenger staying
byfLuger41
gougler08
AG
This season
chjoak
AG
Don't know who this guy's is but...

Maximus_Meridius
AG
Wenger just announced about an hour ago that he will be stepping down at the end of the season. Truly the end of an era. It needed to happen, but I find myself feeling sad all the same.
wangus12
AG
As someone who's been around since the early 1990s, it's kind of hard to say how I feel right now. I remember the club before Wenger came in, but it is hard to imagine a club without him now. Sure we've needed to probably move on and change managers, but it's definitely going to be tough to not see him on the sideline. As frustrated as everybody got me in with him, hopefully everybody will remember how much he made a huge difference to the club and to all the success that he brought the club. Hopefully the team can send him out on a high by winning the Europa cup because that's really what he deserves to go out on.
wangus12
AG
I also completely agree with Paul Merson.

Quote:

They should drop the Emirates bit - they don't need the money - and name it the Arsne Wenger Stadium. That's his stadium. He built that. He made that stadium. Even if they called it the Emirates Arsene Wenger Stadium. He deserves to be on that.
chjoak
AG
A) Very surreal moment. He's been the manager for so damned long.
B) Never expected him to actually step down. Really curious who's decision this actually was? I'd guess like most other managers that this was a saving face move.
C) It was time. Actually was time a couple years ago atleast. This was an RC-esque situation. He deserves respect for what he has done but it was time to get a fresh start.
D) Not sure if AW is capable of reinvigorating his career but he wasn't going to do it in London. If he continues to manage I think it needs to be in another league or international. International may actually be his best bet. Someone else develops the players and he just has to deploy.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
He's 68. I'm gonna be pretty surprised if he manages somewhere else.

I think I saw somewhere last night (ESPNFC, maybe) where Wenger said he could see Vieira succeeding him. Haven't watched a lot of MLS, so I'm not sure what NYCFC have looked like. Good fit?
chjoak
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

He's 68. I'm gonna be pretty surprised if he manages somewhere else.

I think I saw somewhere last night (ESPNFC, maybe) where Wenger said he could see Vieira succeeding him. Haven't watched a lot of MLS, so I'm not sure what NYCFC have looked like. Good fit?
Vieira has done pretty well at NYCFC. I believe they have been running a 4-3-3 and maybe a 3-4-3 at times. Little lite on managerial experience but I'd probably put him ahead of Arteta, which others have mentioned as an option.
wangus12
AG
If we are gonna go the former player route, than Vieira is the only proper option. I love Arteta, but he has only been an assistant for 2 years.
wangus12
AG
God I hope the lads go out and give 1000% to get to cup final.
Mathguy64
AG
As a neutral it would be fitting and a bit ironic for Wenger to go out on a Europa League win. Dudes been an institution and I hope he gets to go out on a high note.
PJYoung
AG
Surprising timing to me. Now go win the Europa lads!
TXAggie2011
AG
A true legend and one of the most respected men in the game.

Managers don't do what he did anymore, stick around and devote your career to a single club.

A sad day, he's the only Arsenal manager I've ever really known, but I hope he's happy and finds peace and enjoyment in his post-Arsenal life.
wangus12
AG
Wenger Ball

chjoak
AG
Primary names I've seen floated around in the media today...

Carlo Ancelloti
Luis Enrique
Rafa Benitez
OneBlitzer
AG
It was time but I feel no joy today. Wish Wenger the best as well as Arsenal.
TXAggie2011
AG
TXAggie2011
AG
But also this...

Maximus_Meridius
AG
chjoak said:

Primary names I've seen floated around in the media today...

Carlo Ancelloti
Rafa Benitez
I will personally fly to London to burn it down if one of these two get it.
wangus12
AG
Still makes me sad that we weren't able to hang on to Gnabry. He was always injured with us, but damn he is a helluva young player.
wangus12
AG
Looks like the fans decided to start showing up again.
wangus12
AG
Elneny injured. AMN coming on.
wangus12
AG
Mo might have broken his ankle. Clearly distraught and covering his face as the stretchered him off. The put the brace on as well
wangus12
AG
LA CABRA on the volley
wangus12
AG
Rambo scores on a cross that West Ham left and it just falls into the far post
wangus12
AG
Laca adds a 3rd!
wangus12
AG
Arnautovic shoving a full speed Aubameyang out of bounds. Kinda like when he shoved Debuchy into the message boards and dislocated his shoulder. Right proper **** that one
who?mikejones
AG
wangus12 said:

Looks like the fans decided to start showing up again.

Hope is a funny thing
chjoak
AG
Luis Enrique's name is picking up steam in the media. There is also a rumor of Messi wanting to follow him to Arsenal if he is named manager.
wangus12
AG
Yeah I don't think the board is gonna pay that 650m release clause
chjoak
AG
No way in hell. But if he is demanding to leave and they want Bellerin, maybe something could be worked out.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.