Houston Dynamo 2016 Season Thread

44,752 Views | 564 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FW Declerk
gig them
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
One step forwards, two steps back
Dre_00
I think that might be too optimistic. It's more like "standing still, two steps back".
ja86
AG
quote:
I ****ing hate Owen Coyle. This team will suck balls as long as he is our manager. If he's not gone by July, I'll rage.
i'll bring the cocktails...
Pahdz
Coyle to Celtic?

jeffk
AG
quote:
Coyle to anywhere but here?

Dre_00
I can't imagine it's true but if it is, I really hope we go after Kreis.

But I honestly don't think it's true.
Dre_00
And Dynamo have confirmed that they have neither been approached by Celtic nor have they allowed Celtic to speak to Owen Coyle. Strictly an internet rumor.
herb96
AG
quote:
And Dynamo have confirmed that they have neither been approached by Celtic nor have they allowed Celtic to speak to Owen Coyle. Strictly an internet rumor.
well, darn.
Out in Left Field
Bockaneer
AG
nice win before the rain came back
Dre_00
Goal came from an incredibly direct ball. Willis actually got an assist on it. Looked very dangerous on set pieces (Horst hit the cross bar and had a few more efforts just miss) and on the counter. 2nd half was better than the 1st. Getting 3 shots on goal out of 17 total shots is not good enough.

If midfield possession is your thing, you aren't going to like this team. I think we barely had the majority of the ball and we were playing at home. Last week against SKC I think we only had about 35% possession. And that's fine. Leicester and Atletico have proven you can be a very, very, very good team who defends and plays on the counter. The problem is that we're still not all that great at the defending part. We aren't even average. But a clean sheet yesterday and I don't recall Willis having to make any challenging saves up until I had to stop watching in the 70th minute (though RSL did completely blow a 1v1 with the keeper in the 1st that should have been a goal but Movsisyan couldn't even keep on frame).

3 road games in a row now which is brutal for a team that hasn't even managed a point on the road yet. If Coyle has any chance of saving this season, he's going to need a minimum of 4 points during this stretch. 6 would be nice. If we're still sitting on 11 points by the time we leave Dallas on June 2nd, I'd fire him and find his replacement during the 2 week Copa America break. Doubt that happens though.
fig96
AG
Our lack of organization on the defending end is what scares me the most, we seem to get caught with defenders in no man's land or keeping an opposing striker onside with frightening regularity.

I don't know if that's on the centerbacks but considering we have two good to very good outside backs in Beasley and Williams it seems like it's a centerback issue more often than not. Horst is very capable athletically, just need to find a good pairing with him to keep things organized.

Dre_00
But Williams has only played 3 games at RB. And Anibaba is a huge dropoff. I don't think our CBs are horrible but they aren't great either. Seems like no matter what pair you throw out there, they have at least 2-3 "WTF" moments a game.
fig96
AG
Yeah, I think not having Williams play consistently has hurt us, Anibaba is definitely a bit of a liability there.

I expected Ibeagha to have an impact at centerback but he's apparently taking a bit more time to get up to speed than expected.
Dre_00
We lost on the road. Again. To a horrible team.

Carry on.
Bryan98
AG
We're the worst team in our division. Last year was hugely disappointing and this is worse. Time for a change.
AG@RICE
AG
Is anyone an active member of a supporter group on this forum?

Im curious to hear their thoughts about being moved to the other end of the stadium. Also about the general mood amongst those members.
Bockaneer
AG
I miss having them on south side but they have more room and are more visible in their new digs - just my 2 pennies
AudaciousAg
AG
I'm predicting we see Coyle replaced before season end. If we don't I'll be highly skeptical of Brener's supposed interest in the club.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
I'm predicting we see Coyle replaced before season end. If we don't I'll be highly skeptical of Brener's supposed interest in the club.

Needs to happen, imho. We've gone straight down during his tenure.
Texaggie7nine
Houston needs to get a WNBA team back.

Used to, when all other pro teams in Houston sucked, I had the Dynamo to lean on to at least have some enjoyment of success. Now they are permanent crap.

Can't Houston have at least ONE ****ing pro team that can actually win big?
7nine
fig96
AG
Most thought we'd have the Astros in contention this season so I figured I'd have that to find solace in.

Doh.
Bryan98
AG
To be fair, the ****ty Rockets somehow made the playoffs!
Texaggie7nine
You think we can go hire Pelligrini?
7nine
jeffk
AG
Welp, time to update the ol' resume.

jeffk
AG
Bryan98
AG
quote:

Dude! You got any lottery numbers you like?
Texaggie7nine
quote:
quote:

Dude! You got any lottery numbers you like?

All of them
7nine
Dre_00
I did NOT see that coming.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
I did NOT see that coming.

I didn't expect it today, but it had to be expected, right? We won two championships in back to back years (a long time ago) and were pretty much always in the playoffs. Under Coyle, we have become the worst club in our division.

If you don't fire a manager who runs your club into the ground, THAT'S a surprise.
Dre_00
"Jason Kreis, please pick up the orange courtesy phone. Jason Kreis to the orange courtesy phone."
Dre_00
The timing is what was surprising. Still relatively early in the season and Canetti had just come out with a statement supporting the process and the staff (while admitting they weren't where they thought they'd be).
Pahdz
They don't call it the dreaded vote of confidence for nothing
AG@RICE
AG
I guess this is a good thing, but I have a bad feeling it won't make a difference.

The whole organization has "rotten to the core" vibe these days.

The team sucks, the in stadium experience sucks and the community integration sucks.
fig96
AG
Oh he better be...

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.