Houston Dynamo 2016 Season Thread

44,096 Views | 564 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FW Declerk
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Here's what I don't get.

Put aside whether it was a good idea to trade Barnes or not. The fact that they did further exposes a seemingly complete lack of direction or organizational control from Canetti and Jordan.

6 months ago, Barnes was signed to a DP contract, presumably at the behest of Owen Coyle who was a huge fan of his. But nonetheless, Jordan and Canetti made a hefty financial commitment to Barnes and they can't (or shouldn't) be allowing such a contract without understanding that they too are committing to Barnes. They are giving their blessing to a 4 year DP contract and all that entails when they offer Giles that contract in January. That's the whole reason (or a big reason) why you have a technical director. He and the manager work in tandem in personnel and contract decisions so no one person has 100% authority in salary and personnel decisions.

Fast forward to today and Coyle is off in NW England and Wade is the interim coach. Barrett doesn't seem to care for Barnes too much and is keen to let him go. So Jordan dumps his salary and trades him. If you were that willing to dump a player that you just signed to a DP contract 6 months ago, you obviously didn't put much thought into the decision to sign him and pretty much just did what Coyle told you to do which was "Sign him at all costs" (probably). And now when your INTERIM MANAGER tells you that he doesn't rate him, you trade him. You are literally trading your most talented player...a player you just invested a ton into...at the behest of a manager you aren't even willing to give a permanent deal to. It's absolutely non-sensical and bad management and begs the question....what the **** is the point of a technical director if he's just going to let managers dictate DP salaries and let interim managers trade away top talents? This whole thing would make more sense if they simultaneously announced that Wade was the permanent manager but they didn't. Imagine if, come December, the Dynamo decide not to make Wade the permanent manager? You will have effectively traded an asset for 50 cents on the dollar (there's no way that the Dynamo got market value for Barnes) because a temp told you to and significantly weakened the team for a future manager (who may have been able to get a lot more out of Barnes' talent).
Bockaneer
AG
further if I'm stuck watching us rebuild the rest of the year make another bold move and dump Bruin - find some speed to match Cubo and Boniek and the youth that finished the game last night
AG@RICE
AG
The entire trade was nonsensical. Why would a last place team sell low on their only asset? Stupid.

The entire organization is so poorly run that I think it has serious Comets potential.
Dre_00
Dynamo sign Jose Escalante (who was with RGV) on loan till the end of the season with an option to buy as well as Keyner Brown (on loan from Herediano with an option to buy).
FW Declerk
quote:
Dynamo sign Jose Escalante (who was with RGV) on loan till the end of the season with an option to buy as well as Keyner Brown (on loan from Herediano with an option to buy).
Splash?
byfLuger41
AG
I created a fantasy league for this year. It's creatively titled "TexAgs Classic League" and the league code to join is 1634813-400128.

The other league is a head-to-head titled "TexAgs Head-to-Head League" and the code to join is 1634813-400242.

If you haven't done this before, the website is [url=http://fantasy.premierleague.com/][/url][url=http://fantasy.premierleague.com/][/url]http://fantasy.premierleague.com. Go there, click "Leagues," "Join a League (private)," and enter the code.
Bockaneer
AG
Ugh rain delay - or more properly lightning delays

Reschedule for 815 Sunday night... Ouch, Monday morning comes too quick.
PJYoung
AG
Went to the RGVFC game Saturday night (6-0 win over Seattle) and got to see Lovejoy up close and personal.

He had a fine game with at least one assist that I remember - got pulled in the 70th minute or so.

Hair good, calf muscles strong, attitude fine.
FW Declerk
quote:
Went to the RGVFC game Saturday night (6-0 win over Seattle) and got to see Lovejoy up close and personal.

He had a fine game with at least one assist that I remember - got pulled in the 70th minute or so.

Hair good, calf muscles strong, attitude fine.
subway?
carl spacklers hat
Maybe Houston should switch rosters with RGVFC...

On a side note, at the match about a week ago, Toros' staff mentioned that the moderate-range goal will be to develop RGVFC into a full MLS squad. I know they have the money backing them to do it, and the way things are being built out (i.e. Academy, stadium, community involvement), they are certainly lining up the ducks to make a push when the time comes.
PJYoung
AG
Nice road win!
gig them
AG
Interesting (and I have to say somewhat encouraging) note from the ownership group

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2016/08/22/message-dynamo-fans-managing-partner-gabriel-brener
Dre_00
Not a lot of new information really but just nice to actually hear something from the owners. Still not used to it after 10 years of AEG. We'll have to take Brener at his word and see what happens in January.

The other thing I got out of it. You can pretty much remove the interim tag of Wade Barrett's title. He talked about him as if the decision was already made. I'm fine with that decision. At minimum, he's earned the right to see what he can do with this team with a full off-season under his belt.
PJYoung
AG
Your RGVFC are now in 3rd place in the West on an 8 match un-scored upon streak (new USL record). Last 3 matches have gone 6-0, 5-0, 2-0.

It can't hurt to have a strong minor league team connected to the big club.
Texaggie7nine
How many wins does RGV need to give the Dynamo an extra win???
7nine
PJYoung
AG
quote:
How many wins does RGV need to give the Dynamo an extra win???

Baby steps.
carl spacklers hat
One point out of first! Not bad for an expansion club this late in the season.
jeffk
AG
Get to spend the afternoon with the Dynamo staff this coming Saturday before the Dallass game. Facility tour and stuff too.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
Your RGVFC are now in 3rd place in the West on an 8 match un-scored upon streak (new USL record). Last 3 matches have gone 6-0, 5-0, 2-0.

It can't hurt to have a strong minor league team connected to the big club.
How is that going to help us when RGVFC joins the MLS, though?
FW Declerk
quote:
Get to spend the afternoon with the Dynamo staff this coming Saturday before the Dallass game. Facility tour and stuff too.
They gonna take you to the cool new bar under the stadium! Impressive I tell you!
carl spacklers hat
That's five years out, at best. Have to show attendance numbers are there for the first hurdle. But, the RGV is a soccer hotbed and the proximity to Mexico should help so I don't doubt the attendance threshold will be met.
PJYoung
AG
quote:
That's five years out, at best. Have to show attendance numbers are there for the first hurdle. But, the RGV is a soccer hotbed and the proximity to Mexico should help so I don't doubt the attendance threshold will be met.

I read a couple of really long articles about that yesterday.

Personally I would put their chances at less than 1% assuming the MLS caps things at 32 teams. They want those markets to be 2 million plus and I know we get there if you include Reynosa but I doubt they will go for that.

If that stadium they are building had a 20,000 capacity instead of 10,000 then I guess I would raise their chances to 2%.
jeffk
AG
quote:

They cancelled the event.
Texaggie7nine
7nine
Dre_00
Did they say why?
carl spacklers hat
Good points, which is why I said at least 5 years out.

What is interesting about the RGV is how under the radar it flies. Using Edinburg as your centerpoint, population numbers within a 75 mile radius currently stand at 2.3 MM. If you take that out to 150 miles the population numbers are 7.2 MM. Given historic rate of growth over the last two census periods, those numbers explode over the next 25 years.

Regarding the stadium, when opened it will seat about 10k but it has room to grow if attendance numbers dictate. I also wouldn't underestimate the influence of Alonzo Cantu and his ownership group. Those pockets are DEEP. But, if you are correct about capping expansion, it still isn't a bad situation if the Toros can compete for conference titles year in and year out in the USL.
jeffk
AG
quote:
Did they say why?

They said not enough coaches had registered. I understand needing a minimum to make it worthwhile, but i dont think they publicized it well. I only found out about it last week and I'm pretty tied in to stuff like that in our area. None of my counterparts at other schools or clubs that I talked to knee about it either.

And of course the notice I got regarding cancellation was just a "We're sorry email." No offer to bring us in at a later date, no offer to even let us keep the game tickets we had purchased. Disappointing more than anything.
Dre_00
That sounds poor on a number of fronts.
FW Declerk
quote:
quote:
Did they say why?

They said not enough coaches had registered. I understand needing a minimum to make it worthwhile, but i dont think they publicized it well. I only found out about it last week and I'm pretty tied in to stuff like that in our area. None of my counterparts at other schools or clubs that I talked to knee about it either.

And of course the notice I got regarding cancellation was just a "We're sorry email." No offer to bring us in at a later date, no offer to even let us keep the game tickets we had purchased. Disappointing more than anything.
The whole organization is an embarrassment from the coaching staff, down to the ticket staff.

At least Bruin doesn't start anymore.
Out in Left Field
Bockaneer
AG
A win...
Out in Left Field
AG
LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLIOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLILOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
Texaggie7nine
I would demand a refund if I paid to go to that game
7nine
Bockaneer
AG
srsly- saw the score line 1-0 at 92' ... just flipped to root and Rico's talking bout maintaining concentration

ugh
ram6332
What a ****e result yet again. 30 minutes to get through the gate bc security decided to wand everyone although there were less than 10k in attendance. They replaced the craft beer stand with a "Montejo Cantina". Been a season ticket holder since the Robertson days but this is the final straw for me. Canetti and Wade need to go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.