Houston Dynamo 2016 Season Thread

44,060 Views | 564 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FW Declerk
Bryan98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I'm of the opinion that Cubo doesn't start because he's not that good with english and it's hard to communicate with him.

Let's get Miguel Herrera.
On the one hand, I'm not sure about hiring a dude who attacked a reporter in an airport. Lots of bad judgment and impulse control on display there.

On the other hand, wow, that would be fun as hell.

Aw, who are we kidding? A wildman like him is not going to want to leave Tijuana.
Dre_00
I would probably die of happiness if we hired Herrera. The memes alone are reason enough to love that man.
PJYoung
AG
We would finally have a full stadium if he was hired.
leoj
AG
On that note, I have no idea how a city like Orlando can fill their stadium up with bodies every week and our stadium which is just east of downtown is at best half full every game. It's kind of embarrassing for the 4th largest city with a huge Hispanic population
Texaggie7nine
Orlando only has one other pro sport in town. And most houstonians have enough pro teams that suck they already support
7nine
leoj
AG
I just looked in Wikipedia and it shows our average is over 20k per game. Do that many people really buy tickets and just not show up?
JJxvi
AG
Its been clear to me from Day 1 at BBVA that the org was interested in selling lots of tickets not having folks actially show up. An ungodly portion of seats seem to be corporate type, and i guess when you give away a dynamo ticjet to a client they just throw it in the trash
JJxvi
AG
You also have to keep in mind that the team has been owned by entertainment promoters, so there is likely a multitude of things happening in the background with ticketing

https://theringer.com/ticket-industry-problem-solution-e4b3b71fdff6#.ka58cviyq
leoj
AG
Hopefully new ownership can change that. With the supporters groups moving to the north side that place could be really rocking if we put some effort into improving attendance and the game day experience
Dre_00
Hopefully, but he's not really a new owner. The question is how silent was he when he was minority owner and how different his vision is now that he's majority owner. Thus far, I'd say it's way too early to tell. We won't really know until maybe this time next year at the earliest.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
quote:
I just looked in Wikipedia and it shows our average is over 20k per game. Do that many people really buy tickets and just not show up?
yes that is frequently the case. A friend of mine and his wife have season tickets. They both work downtown and go religiously. We know weeks in advance when they can't make a match because they offer us their tickets because we reliably use them. As a courtesy, we text them to let them know as soon as the tickets are scanned.

The prize for perfect attendance last season was a photo with the team. The number of season ticket holders that actually got that prize was somewhere around 200 iirc.
AG@RICE
AG
I haven't noticed anything "new" about the new ownership.
Dre_00
I agree but I'm trying to remain optimistic based on the fact that 1) it's only been, what 3 months? and 2) the timing of the sale. Very hard to implement a new strategy that would impact transfers or to have a new way of selling tickets or changing game day experience when you take control at the very beginning of a new season. That's why I think it's going to be hard to definitively say that he is or isn't different until at least the off-season.

That said, the pessimist in me says that if he was really motivated to change things, there are ways he could have signaled his intent by now. Add in the fact that he's been watching AEG operate the team for 8 years and it's easy to see the status quo continuing in perpetuity.
Bockaneer
AG
I have season tickets as well and if I can't make a match I try to pass them on to someone that I think will use them - sxn 236 - I am more likely to miss weekday games bc it's a ***** to drive home and back.
FW Declerk
Bruin is still on this team? Does he even start anymore dude stinks
leoj
AG
Bruin actually had a good year last year
Bryan98
AG
quote:
Bruin is still on this team? Does he even start anymore dude stinks
I think he's looking pretty bad this year. He's very hesitant to shoot even when he's playing as the lone forward. He has passed the ball off in several obvious shooting situations. We need to find another option if he doesn't find his form quickly. And since we're still at the bottom of the table, there's no harm in experimenting with other players right now.
Dre_00
Wade officially given the interim tag. I love this quote from him.

"Houston is my home and this club, in its entirety, is in my blood."
Idk3
AG
Glad Wade got interim tag.

Watching the Copa and have question about scouting for talent. Why hasn't the MLS been able to get more influx of quality South American footballers? Is it purely money related? Is it because a lot of the upcoming talent have "handlers" that need to be paid along with the player? How good would it be to have a player that is I the starting eleven for a Columbia, Uraguay or Chile. I'm not even saying Brazil or Arg. That would grow MLS by adding fan bases that currently don't have a reason to tune in.

Just wondering and yes I want all the players to be on the Dynamo.
JJxvi
AG
It will eventually be the norm, but salary restrictions keep it from happening now.
fig96
AG
Yup, you're starting to see it a bit with players from countries where a lot of clubs are having financial difficulties (Brazil, Spain) and it'll only increase as the league grows.
Dre_00
Dynamo actually fielded a pretty strong lineup today in the USOC and they are beating San Antonio 3-0 in the 60th minute. Be still my heart.
Dre_00
4-0 is the final. Manotas, Rodriguez, Miranda, and Alex score. Let's see how Saturday goes against DC but that's 3 positive results in a row under Wade.
Dre_00
Playing Sporting KC at home in the next round. Winner of that game hosts Dallas/Colorado winner. A chance to host 3 games in a row.
Dre_00
Missed the game but apparently we had a number of good chances in the 2nd half. Another clean sheet but it's coming at the expense of a sputtering offense.
fig96
AG
quote:
Missed the game but apparently we had a number of good chances in the 2nd half. Another clean sheet but it's coming at the expense of a sputtering offense.
Two especially great chances in stoppage, Hamid had a diving gamesaver of a Manotas shot then Raul put a header off the ensuing corner right at his feet.
AG@RICE
AG
Didn't get to watch the game today, but saw the highlights. Dynamo lost on a super BS call. Awful awful call by the ref. He should receive some kind of a suspension or disciplinary action.
fig96
AG
I did watch it, here's the 90th minute "penalty":

FW Declerk
We didn't lose because of the ref we lost because we suck..

Can't defend a two goal lead Horst was god awful today
byfLuger41
Texaggie7nine
What good is having an offense if we are just going to bleed goals like that. Wish we still had Taylor. I hated seeing him on Portland. He's better than Worst.
7nine
gig them
AG
quote:

No, we lost because of the ref. We DREW because we suck and can't defend a two goal lead.

There's a difference.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
quote:

No, we lost because of the ref. We DREW because we suck and can't defend a two goal lead.

There's a difference.
This is exactly right. Still, can't believe that ref. Can't remember the last time I saw two penalties awarded to the same team. That alone should have given him pause, and then the assistant ref comes over for a chat, and he still awards the penalty.

Instant replay now!
fig96
AG
Yup, no argument that we didn't defend the lead well, though in our defense Portland is a really tough place to play.

But there was a pretty good shout for a penalty for the Dynamo that went uncalled (and didn't even get a replay on tv) and then a 90+ minute game deciding penalty was awarded on a really questionable call.

If a keeper just flat out fouls a player then I understand the penalty, but at worst Willis played the ball and got there the same time the attacker did. No respectable ref makes a game changing call like that in that situation at that point in the match.
BBallAggie06
AG
As a Timbers supporter, I thoroughly enjoyed that 2nd half, especially those final 10 minutes

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.