Houston Dynamo 2016 Season Thread

44,062 Views | 564 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FW Declerk
heddleston
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
NOOoO! You can't have him. He's gonna hold out for the Seattle job once we can Sigi (Oh please oh please oh please).
fig96
AG
Well, Sigi has been about to be fired for most of the last 4 or 5 seasons so probably any day now...
heddleston
AG
Up until this year I was very much against the #sigiout people, but its become obvious that the front office and Sigi don't have the same vision. They want a high flying 4-3-3 and their player acquisitions reflect it, but Sigi seems to be incapable of doing anything but 4-4-2. our successes this year have been with that formation with guys painfully out of formation and with little depth to cover those positions. I like Sigi, but at this point they just need to rip the band-aid and move on.

Okay I'm done dumping Seattle crap on the Houston thread. Hope yall get a good coach.
Dre_00
You're probably right but at least there's a chance.
Bockaneer
AG
Why no Agus starting today?
Dre_00
Why no Manotas is the question I'm asking.

Dynamo got off to a good start and scored a goal even but Vancouver ties it up in the 2nd after several good saves by Deric in the 1st.
Dre_00
Hit a couple of crossbars in the 2nd half with what seemed like our only 2 good chances. Deric made some great saves and we hold on for our first road point of the season.
PJYoung
PJYoung
AG
Contemplating cutting the cord but is there any online options for Root Sports?
Bryan98
AG
I don't think there are.
DuncanField91
AG
Nope. I'm a season ticket holder and can't watch away games. Root of all evil... I can watch all games from any other team though. Cord cutting works best if you don't live where your teams are.
Dre_00
No official interim will be announced before the Dallas game. With the 2 week Copa break after that, the front office will have plenty of time to mull over their options.

Will Bruin tweeted that he hopes Barrett gets an opportunity to coach the team (or something to that effect).
Dre_00
Owen Coyle is now Blackburn's new manager. Of course I don't know how this all went down but it's a little suspicious that he got home sick and was released from his position as Dynamo head coach 18 days after the Blackburn job became available...and he became Blackburn's new manager 8 days after leaving the Dynamo. Maybe he was legitimately home sick and has been for some time and the Blackburn opening was the final push he needed to come back home. I'm not sure I believe that but it's possible. Regardless of whether you believe it or not, it's pretty clear he was gunning for this job before he left the Dynamo. Anyway, something smells here and I feel like Coyle, Canetti, and the entire Dynamo organization have a lot of stink on them.

As for Coyle, it amazes me that he continues to get decent jobs in spite of not being successful at any of his last 3 clubs. He hasn't stayed at one club for much longer than 2 years. I don't think he makes it through the 2016-17 season with Blackburn. Also, for a Burnley guy, he sure does know how to burn bridges. Bolton? Check. Blackburn? Check.
Texaggie7nine
Whatever under the table stuff happened, I'm glad it did. Good riddance.
7nine
Dre_00
I'm glad he's gone too. I'm just saying that neither he or the Dynamo were exactly truthful about what happened or how it happened. Either the Dynamo spun/PR'ed the hell out of this thing or the Dynamo are the dumbest fools in soccer.
Texaggie7nine
I'm going to go with what they said. That it was mutual. No matter how Coyle broke it to the Dynamo first or the Dynamo broke it to Coyle, I think they both thought they would be better off parting ways. So what is the harm in just saying something that sounds nice so as not to besmirch either party?
7nine
Dre_00
Because if the real reason that he wanted to leave the Dynamo was because of interest that he had in the Blackburn job, I'm pretty sure that the Dynamo would have been compensated.

The way it normally works if Team A has an open position and wants to hire someone from Team B who is under contract, Team A has to pay compensation to Team B for taking their manager away. Just as you would for a player. By releasing him from his contract before he was signed, the Dynamo receive no compensation. If the Dynamo knowingly did that even though they knew Blackburn and Coyle were each interested in one another, then it at least leads to the the question of why. If they didn't know that Blackburn and Coyle were in interested in one another, then that is a condemnation of the Dynamo and, perhaps, of Coyle.
Texaggie7nine
But does that not allow the Dynamo to not have to continue to pay Coyle?
7nine
Dre_00
Yes it does. Same exact concept as a player transfer.
fig96
AG
This is pretty ridiculous, that field barely qualifies as playable and we're only 4 minutes in.

EDIT: And there's now an official delay to see if the grounds crew can get the turf, err field, squeegeed.
PJYoung
AG
That was the dumbest thing I've ever seen. How did he start that game and let it go on???
jeffk
AG
The "highlights" from tonight are cracking me up.
Bryan98
AG
quote:
The "highlights" from tonight are cracking me up.

Some of the best televised comedy for a while now.

Oh well, at least now I can give my full attention to the USWNT - Japan friendly. Hopefully this game comes back at some point.
fig96
AG
Back on for anyone awake. Dynamo just gave up a lovely ball watching goal in the 24th.
Dre_00
Eddie Robinson pretty much just echoed my fire take on Coyle and the Dynamo so I feel pretty vindicated.
fig96
AG
What'd he say? I'm stuck with the Burn commentators.
fig96
AG
That was a freakin' ROCKET from Rico. Wow.
herb96
AG
great goal by Rico
Dre_00
Essentially said that Coyle signing with Blackburn doesn't look good for Coyle and it doesn't look good for the Dynamo. Also said that Dynamo should be forthright about what happened.
Dre_00
E-Rob mentioned on the broadcast that Wade's 1st goal was to shore up the defense and ensure the team was more organized. Not surprising given the teams he played on and the coach he played under. You could tell that was his area of focus and for the most part, I'd say he succeeded. Did a very good job of limiting Dallas' chances which is a rarity for us.

Offensively, we're still pretty putrid. The conditions didn't help but it was pretty ugly. Second half was much better than the first but even then, we really only created 2 chances other than Rico's goal. One was from a set piece and one was from a Dallas defensive screw up so not like we carved them open or anything.

Will be interesting to see what decision is made during the Copa break. Unless a marquis manager is willing and available right now (like a Kreis), I'd slap the interim tag onto Wade for the rest of the season and give him a chance to see what he can do.
Bryan98
AG
No chance we get a marquis. I suppose there's a small chance we might get a marquee manager, though.
Texaggie7nine
I'm of the opinion that Cubo doesn't start because he's not that good with english and it's hard to communicate with him.

Let's get Miguel Herrera.
7nine
jeffk
AG
quote:

Can you imagine the spectacle Herrera would have generated last night in those conditions?
PJYoung
AG
Back to back road points. Woo-hoo!
fig96
AG
quote:
I'm of the opinion that Cubo doesn't start because he's not that good with english and it's hard to communicate with him.

If you've ever heard Coyle talk, the idea that there may have been a communication gap is not far fetched

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.