Houston Dynamo 2016 Season Thread

44,063 Views | 564 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FW Declerk
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Our 2016 motto:

Finding new ways to throw away points.
PJYoung
AG
That was entertaining!
Dre_00
Anyone know if USOC counts in determining who wins the cannon? I think it did originally, but then I think they took that away. Can't remember now.

If it does, then a QF win at against Dallas in the USOC will not only get us to the SF but it will also clinch the cannon (unless we play in the playoffs...OK, I can't even finish that thought. It's too laughable.)
Brick Tamland
I mean, I could see an argument either way. I want to say it's the regular season. That's what I would prefer, anyway.

Edit: looked it up and every game counts, USOC, MLS, playoffs
aggiesoccer#1fan
AG
Not relevant this year, but what about a matchup in Champions League?

So if the results are even, what is the first tie breaker? Goal differential? Road goals?

Anyone want to add/link these details here?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texas_Derby
Brick Tamland
Forgive the DMN link. I live in Dallas and Google picks up on that during searches.

quote:
The cannon, nicknamed El Capitan, goes to the overall winner of the teams' meetings in a calendar year, whether they come in regular-season play, the playoffs or the U.S. Open Cup.

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/soccer/soccer/2016/03/11/clash-cannon-winners-prize-makes-fcd-dynamo-series-unique-among-dallas-houston-rivalries
Out in Left Field
AG
At the death!
fig96
AG
Just, wow.

http://www.snappytv.com/tc/2287677/1154954
Brick Tamland
Great goal
gig them
AG
I like our look under Wade.
Dre_00
Rocha had his contract terminated by mutual consent. Heading back to Spain where he says he has a couple of offers. Always a weird signing. 31 year old central midfielder who spent most of his career in the Spanish 3rd division. Seemed like a mistake from the get go.

Miranda is also leaving the club as his loan has ended and a contract wasn't agreed to. Always thought he could have been a MLS player as he had some good performances but he never got a consistent run of games.
FW Declerk
No more burin
Dre_00
Seems as though Dynamo wanted to keep Miranda. I guess Independiente asked too much for a player that currently is a spot starter. Shame.
Dre_00
Maybe the worst soccer game I've ever witnessed. That was beyond boring.
Brick Tamland
No longer in last place
Out in Left Field
AG
Scoreless draws: Why soccer will never be popular in America.
PJYoung
AG
quote:
Scoreless draws: Why soccer will never be popular in America.

Yeah but we almost scored a couple of times.
Bockaneer
AG
I used to think that too but life is not always clear cut B&W and honestly soccer has made me nostalgic for the CFB tie - hated Pat Dye for it but probably like it better than the tiebreakers.
Brick Tamland
quote:
According to the agreed-upon rules and tiebreakers for El Capitn, Wednesday's matchup between the Houston Dynamo and FC Dallas will only factor into the cannon's victor if the teams finish the regular season tied in both record and goal difference and do not meet in the MLS Cup Playoffs:
[ol]
  • Head-to-head regular season series (W-L-T)
  • Head-to-head goal differential in regular season series
  • Result of playoff series (if applicable)
  • Result of CONCACAF Champions League series (if applicable)
  • Result of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup match (if applicable)
  • Holder retains trophy
  • [/ol]Currently, the Dynamo have the edge in the 2016 series with one win and one draw, and one game yet to be played in Houston on August 27. The Men in Orange also have a substantial lead in the goal difference category thanks to the 5-0 rout in March. FC Dallas must win by more than five goals in August to claim El Capitn on the first tiebreaker. If Dallas wins by exactly five goals and the teams do not meet in the playoffs, then Wednesday's result will decide who gets to fire the cannon in 2017.

http://www.houstondynamo.com/post/2016/07/19/how-does-us-open-cup-affect-el-capit-n
    Brick Tamland
    Going tonight with three other Ags. $24 for a ticket and two beers in the beer garden.
    fig96
    AG
    quote:
    Going tonight with three other Ags. $24 for a ticket and two beers in the beer garden.
    Enjoy, it's a great place to watch a game.

Though I hope you go home disappointed
    Brick Tamland
    Well.. except I am back to rooting for Houston. I was rooting for Dallas because of my wife but I got tired of it and am back to rooting for my hometown team. Wearing a Dynamo shirt now.
    fig96
    AG
    quote:
    Well.. except I am back to rooting for Houston. I was rooting for Dallas because of my wife but I got tired of it and am back to rooting for my hometown team. Wearing a Dynamo shirt now.
    Then I take that back. Welcome to the thread
    Brick Tamland
    Stadium was awesome. My friends and I got to run the sponsor logo out on the field before the game so we got to hang out on the field for warm ups.
    jeffk
    AG
    This is all your fault.
    Brick Tamland
    quote:
    This is all your fault.

I know. I went to an Astros/Rangers game last month and the Rangers won. Grab the torch and pitchforks!!!

Although I was wearing a Dynamo shirt for the 5-0 beatdown of Dallas at the beginning of the season...
    Bockaneer
    AG
    Dale Dynamo
    Bryan98
    AG
    Tonight is our 20th game of the MLS season and we're looking for our 5th win. Pitiful.
    Bockaneer
    AG
    so we're at the halfway point- if we win out: its playoffs, am I right?!!
    Out in Left Field
    Out in Left Field
    AG
    Good effort but not enough quality in the final third.

Also uncalled handball in the box in the 94th.
    Bockaneer
    AG
    so frustrating
    Brick Tamland
    A point is a point at this point?
    Bryan98
    AG
    quote:
    Good effort but not enough quality in the final third.

Also uncalled handball in the box in the 94th.

We have absolutely squandered our scoring chances this season. Many balls in the box, not enough goals. Tonight was no different.
    gig them
    AG
    The service wasn't really there.

I agree that in games past we had been putting the ball in dangerous positions with no result, but the final ball wasn't there last night.

I did like playing with two strikers. Feel like we might as well try anything at this point.

And maaaaan what a crap missed call in the 94th.

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.