Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

286,900 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Bill Superman
MaysGrad09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Sharp testified in front of the Texas Senate higher ed committee.

Link

It seems Sharp's strategy was to increase enrollment to get more money from the legislature, although, to his surprise (expressed in the video), the increase in funding that A&M received in the last session didn't even cover inflation because of enrollment growth. So the strategy backfired and A&M received less money per student.
ReasonableTexan
quote:
quote:
Sh****Texas is having a laugh at our expense FYI.

Every happy meal will come with a degree and an Aggie ring.

Ugh.

Anyone remember the stat on actual graduates to fan ratio?

You are reading comments from a bunch of Walmart shoppers.

That doesn't disqualify the point that Sharp wants to make sure all the Aggie tshirt fans and Walmart shoppers get an Aggie Ring and diploma
Aggball2010
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Sh****Texas is having a laugh at our expense FYI.

Every happy meal will come with a degree and an Aggie ring.

Ugh.

Anyone remember the stat on actual graduates to fan ratio?

You are reading comments from a bunch of Walmart shoppers.

That doesn't disqualify the point that Sharp wants to make sure all the Aggie tshirt fans and Walmart shoppers get an Aggie Ring and diploma

So if every Walmart shopper and fan gets a ring and diploma.... They are then, not tshirt fans. That's my point. Sips have tshirt fans. We have actual grads.
acer_16
AG
quote:

Link

It seems Sharp's strategy is to increase enrollment to get more money from the legislature, although, to his surprise (expressed in the video), the increase in funding that A&M received in the last session didn't even cover inflation because of enrollment growth. So the strategy backfired.
It was interesting to hear the difference between Sharp's and McRaven's testimony. While Sharp focused on expanding the A&M system and keeping costs under control, McCraven's message focused on improving the prestige and quality of the UT system towards that of the University of California system. It seems the goals of the UT system and A&M system are diverging, such that UT-Austin focuses on being the premier public university of the state and A&M focuses on expanding to meet state postsecondary education goals like 60x30TX (and thus programs like 25by25 are justified).

Sharp's testimony starts at 1:31:00 and McCraven starts at 2:58:00.
JT88
AG
So Sharp's strategy failed to achieve his goals for the system while simultaneously harming our alma mater?

What can be done?
gopgabe
AG
quote:

Link

It seems Sharp's strategy was to increase enrollment to get more money from the legislature, although, to his surprise (expressed in the video), the increase in funding that A&M received in the last session didn't even cover inflation because of enrollment growth. So the strategy backfired and A&M received less money per student.

Too funny
TAMU bball fan
quote:
So Sharp's strategy failed to achieve his goals for the system while simultaneously harming our alma mater?

What can be done?

At some point the regents have to realize that Sharp's 5 year tenure as chancellor has been a failure. Some good things were accomplished - the law school acquisition and the privatization of dorms and dining. But the accomplishments were far outweighed by the damage being done from unprecedented enrollment growth at the flagship campus without adequate resources and planning, as well as adding additional campuses that are small and inefficient and drive up administrative costs for the system while diverting resources from the flagship campus.

It's also puzzling to see Sharp's lack of understanding for how the legislature funds higher ed, specifically how universities are not necessarily rewarded for increasing enrollments. This was the case in the last session when the legislature increased formula funding by 9%, but 8% was eaten up by growth...leaving a gain of 1% - not enough to make up for inflation.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
specifically how universities are not necessarily rewarded for increasing enrollments.
tu-austin has decided they don't want to grow, so the leg doesn't want to punish them. So now Sharp is pissed at them for not wanting to grow.
Captain Augustus McCrae
quote:
It was interesting to hear the difference between Sharp's and McRaven's testimony. While Sharp focused on expanding the A&M system and keeping costs under control, McCraven's message focused on improving the prestige and quality of the UT system towards that of the University of California system. It seems the goals of the UT system and A&M system are diverging, such that UT-Austin focuses on being the premier public university of the state and A&M focuses on expanding to meet state postsecondary education goals like 60x30TX (and thus programs like 25by25 are justified).
MaysGrad09
quote:
quote:

What can be done?

At some point the regents have to realize that Sharp's 5 year tenure as chancellor has been a failure. Some good things were accomplished - the law school acquisition and the privatization of dorms and dining. But the accomplishments were far outweighed by the damage being done from unprecedented enrollment growth at the flagship campus without adequate resources and planning, as well as adding additional campuses that are small and inefficient and drive up administrative costs for the system while diverting resources from the flagship campus.

It's also puzzling to see Sharp's lack of understanding for how the legislature funds higher ed, specifically how universities are not necessarily rewarded for increasing enrollments. This was the case in the last session when the legislature increased formula funding by 9%, but 8% was eaten up by growth...leaving a gain of 1% - not enough to make up for inflation.

You overestimate the intelligence of the A&M Board of Regents.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
All of this talk lends itself to the real issue--that companies and graduates are increasingly mismatched. Meaning most non STEM grads still have to be extensively trained after being hired. It's the college economic bubble taking place right before our eyes.

I'll say this. If I was A&M and I was guaranteed increasing revenue thru federally subsidized student loans--would you increase enrollment or pull back?
MaysGrad09

quote:
If I was A&M and I was guaranteed increasing revenue thru federally subsidized student loans--would you increase enrollment or pull back?

Tuition only covers a portion of A&M's expenses incurred by students. By increasing enrollment we've ended up with less money per student.because the state hasn't increased funding in proportion to A&M increasing enrollment.
terata
AG
If any of you are really serious about making A&M elite instead of bloated, then YOU can rid the system of Sharp. Start an aggressive "letter" writing campaign to the Govenor. Keep the pressure on until jackass is gone. One letter equals about 2500 similar opinions. If enough of us ***** and moan long and loudly enough we can force a change.
JayTee70
quote:
Doubling admission and still half of us old farts would not be admitted today.
Half of us old farts would have a 4.0+ using today's standards.
biobioprof
quote:

quote:
If I was A&M and I was guaranteed increasing revenue thru federally subsidized student loans--would you increase enrollment or pull back?

Tuition only covers a portion of A&M's expenses incurred by students. By increasing enrollment we've ended up with less money per student.because the state hasn't increased funding in proportion to A&M increasing enrollment.
We'll lose money on every student, but we'll make it up with volume!
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
If any of you are really serious about making A&M elite instead of bloated, then YOU can rid the system of Sharp. Start an aggressive "letter" writing campaign to the Govenor. Keep the pressure on until jackass is gone. One letter equals about 2500 similar opinions. If enough of us ***** and moan long and loudly enough we can force a change.
I wonder why I got two different one-day bans for posting 'inappropriate' stuff like this on this thread? (I assume this gentleman/woman will be lauded by the same people who voted down my posts)

Classy group posting on this thread for sure. Keep up the good work gang!!
2004FIGHTINTXAG
9,000 graduates in the Spring. The most graduates of any university in the country and A&M somehow thinks this is a good thing. This really needs to stop.
45-70Ag
AG
Wow, didn't realize there were 9,000 graduates this spring.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
There's an article by TAMU posted on the TexAgs home page about the 9,000 graduates as if it's some great accomplishment.
Texas A & M
Abbott: "I Would Like to See" Top 10 Percent Rule Change

quote:
Gov. Greg Abbott has called for tweaking the state's highly controversial Top 10 Percent Rule for college admissions, another sign that the law could be at risk when the Texas Legislature convenes in 2017.
Sid Farkas
AG
You guys should check out this thread:

https://texags.com/forums/25/topics/2650619

Looks like we're headed in the right direction for sure!!
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
quote:
quote:

Link

It seems Sharp's strategy is to increase enrollment to get more money from the legislature, although, to his surprise (expressed in the video), the increase in funding that A&M received in the last session didn't even cover inflation because of enrollment growth. So the strategy backfired.

Sharp's testimony starts at 1:31:00 and McCraven starts at 2:58:00.
my God this is sickening.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Very sickening, but hey give the guy a huge raise for the downward trend. We really need a guy like McRaven.
yobyob
quote:

Link

This is a gross misinterpretation (or in your case, misrepresentation) of what was actually said.

He said plainly that the support from the Legislature is not enough and they need to provide more assistance if A&M is to maintain the goal of keeping tuition costs down. There was zero statement about enrollment growth being a strategic way to get more funding. Meanwhile, the metrics he listed are inclusive of all system campuses, not just A&M-College Station.

It was a couched political statement that was targeted to say the State either needs to increase funding if they want A&M to continue to follow directives from the Legislature on enrollment & access to higher education, or else be prepared for an unhappy performance report in the future.

It's like some of y'all have never watched politics in action before.
Aggball2010
AG
quote:
quote:

Link

This is a gross misinterpretation (or in your case, misrepresentation) of what was actually said.

He said plainly that the support from the Legislature is not enough and they need to provide more assistance if A&M is to maintain the goal of keeping tuition costs down. There was zero statement about enrollment growth being a strategic way to get more funding. Meanwhile, the metrics he listed are inclusive of all system campuses, not just A&M-College Station.

It was a couched political statement that was targeted to say the State either needs to increase funding if they want A&M to continue to follow directives from the Legislature on enrollment & access to higher education, or else be prepared for an unhappy performance report in the future.

It's like some of y'all have never watched politics in action before.

"It Seems"...

See, that's where you went wrong.
Texas A & M
It's going to take Aggies stopping contributions to the Association of Former Students to send a loud message, especially during this "Lead By Example" capital campaign. Let them know why.

http://www.aggienetwork.com/contactus/
yobyob
quote:
It's going to take Aggies stopping contributions to the Association of Former Students to send a loud message, especially during this "Lead By Example" capital campaign. Let them know why.

jesus mary and joseph that's the stupidest thing you've said yet

The AFS isn't even legally the same entity as Texas A&M so suggesting that they be spitted is as myopic as it is asinine. They're only responsible for donations up to $25k and primarily exists to connect aggie alumni groups across the county and provide direct support to students via scholarships and student organization support.

Congratulations on having an original post not directly bashing the System office or reposting a debunked rumor though.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:

jesus mary and joseph that's the stupidest thing you've said yet

The AFS isn't even legally the same entity as Texas A&M so suggesting that they be spitted is as myopic as it is asinine. They're only responsible for donations up to $25k and primarily exists to connect aggie alumni groups across the county and provide direct support to students via scholarships and student organization support.

Congratulations on having an original post not directly bashing the System office or reposting a debunked rumor though.
You're wasting your time. This thread is full of all kinds of dumb posted by people who have a political ax to grind against Sharp & Perry. Facts don't matter to them...it's as if they're campaigning for A&M to fail so they can blame it all on Sharp

Warning: don't upset them or they'll contact mods to have your posts removed and you'll get a one day ban (happened to me twice so far on this thread)
Tango Mike
So John Sharp added a sock to this thread to agree with his normal username?

IP tracing is a cool trick, Sid
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
So John Sharp added a sock to this thread to agree with his normal username?

IP tracing is a cool trick, Sid
Not exactly sure what u mean...but I think there are some groundbreaking new meds for paranoia. See your doctor if you exhibit symptoms.
95_Aggie
AG
quote:
they're campaigning for A&M to fail so they can blame it all on Sharp
He's well on his way doing that himself.
TXAggie2011
AG
Why would I give a **** about John Sharp? I don't give a damn about John Sharp.

I care about how he runs the A&M system and the flagship campus. He otherwise is entirely irrelevant to me. It doesn't matter who is running the show, but anyone who runs it like Sharp does and heck yeah, I'll be concerned.

And surely John Sharp doesn't think I care about the man who is John Sharp. That would take his self-flattery to another level.

Repeat for Rick Perry.
Franklin Delano Bluth
AG
Sharp is a POS

He'll sit next to Bud Adams once he gets to hell......

I'll be sure to celebrate
CrottyKid
AG
Looks like I kept my nose out of this.
Good for me.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
quote:
You're wasting your time. This thread is full of all kinds of dumb posted by people who have a political ax to grind against Sharp & Perry. Facts don't matter to them...it's as if they're campaigning for A&M to fail so they can blame it all on Sharp

Warning: don't upset them or they'll contact mods to have your posts removed and you'll get a one day ban (happened to me twice so far on this thread)
No one on here has a political ax to grind. This has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with the way he is running TAMU. The facts speak for themselves. Above state average student to teacher ratio, decline in SAT/ACT scores, decline in national rankings, and a significant increase in enrollment that has widened the teacher to student ratio gap. On top of that he gave himself a fat raise.

The reason you probably got a ban was because of the personal insults you throw at people when they disagree with you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.