Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

285,836 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Bill Superman
Fitch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Elitism: This is a good discussion and intelligent folks can disagree, as you and I do here.

Honestly, your response reinforces my contention (at least to me). You seem to be ascribing a monolithic attitude (which you believe to be undesirable) to an entire group of people and schools, i.e. East coast elite universities. How is THAT not "elitism"? You clearly feel we are, at least in some sense, "better" than they are, and isn't that the very crux of elitism?

I've heard this sort of comment about A&M a lot. The "blue collar" and "callused hands" stuff. For one, us becoming academically elite and as a result getting a bit smaller (from gargantuan to merely huge) has nothing to do with the attitudes you mention. Secondly, I've got some experience with those schools and if anything have found at least as much of an egalitarian attitude as I do amongst Aggies.
Well, I just spent too long typing out a response to this and after re-reading it I have to say I can get preachy real fast. I'll answer in depth in PM if you want, but my condensed responses are:

1. You have a point that I'm probably being too unilateral in my assessment but I stand by the statement from at least my personal experience. Being an Aggie doesn't necessarily mean you're a good person, or that we have a monopoly on that kind of person, but my experiences in the NE have taught me two things: the people are friendlier than we stereotype them to be and there are some real failures of humanity that are endemic in the population of the workforce there. Not that geography makes us immune to that, but my time in New York, our great cosmopolitan center, has proved to me that egalitarianism doesn't exist across the breadth of the workforce - and I mean within the same companies even - and can in part be traced back to if you "went to the right school." On the flip side I've got a friend from New Braunfels who went to Harvard and she's the furthest thing in the world from elitist. My take away is that it's more to do with your upbringing than your place of matriculation, but those aren't necessarily discrete variables.

References: My company is NY based, was there a week ago. I've got a close friend that works for Goldman, two more at JP Morgan and one cousin there.

2. RE: "Blue Collar" and "Callouses"

I think I've muddied my lingo here, referencing two different concepts: elitism and 'the other education'.

No doubt the 'blue collar' line is a common refrain. I believe the usual parlance is that "the university needs to still be open to the rural communities," essentially implying that the historic makeup of the student body should not be reoriented to target more metropolitan communities at the expense to of the rural. An emotional hot topic no doubt but I'm not necessarily concerned about the egalitarianism of the school admittance office. This comparison back to 'white collar' was meant more in reference to the occasional ivory tower attitude you'll encounter from our esteemed colleagues around the state. If anyone here has never been told "you went to an ag school," congratulations, I hope you never are.

As for the callouses bit... I have a personal philosophy that there's a real reward in physical labor, the kind that wears you down to your breaking point and you have to confront yourself and self determine if you are going to push on. I'm at a loss for the right word, but "humbling" or "introspection" is maybe the closest I can term it right now.

I cannot tell you how many hot, disgustingly humid days I spent with others carrying logs or how many freezing nights I spent with a cold steel Y-stick in my hands...and today I can still feel the sharp lasting sting of shower water hitting my hands which were more open blisters than skin. I couldn't add up all the hours I spent doing that in place of reading a textbook. I worked for and have two degrees in Finance from Mays but I can point to that time and without a doubt know that it had a greater effect on me and my career than the time I spent in class, as odd as that sounds. I don't think I'm uncommon in that type of response either.

I fully support elevating A&M's academic profile, but I can't see a plan with the goal to become a Top 5 public school giving much reverence to the "extracurriculars" that our alumni base holds in regard... a person's time is zero-sum after all...just ask a BQ how much time he has on a weekend in the fall. It's that basic constriction on time that raises my concern when there's talk of pushing to be a national leader in academics - not that it's a bad goal or that we should not strive sir excellence, but that type of directive changes the entire complexion of how students appropriate time.

To me a better strategy is to balance academic achievement and the cultural institutions to shape an educational policy that equally weights both and promotes student retention and in-the-round education.

Before we digress too much further with this conversation it's worth noting that the thread discussion is about A&M enrollment and how to manage it going forward. There's a couple folks on this thread who could probably outline a few scenarios and move discussion on a productive course in a debate of the merits of each.
VanZandt92
Fitch, your third from the last paragraph, I didn't understand. But I guess it's late.
cecil77
AG
I would submit that "the other education" and extracurricular are much more negatively impacted by a huge student body than by academic rigor.

As to folks in the NE, my experience is that it's an urban phenomenon, not a geographic one.
Fitch
AG
An argument could be made In support of both your points.

I suppose the question we're dancing around is what's the right size and why.
Ag92NGranbury
AG
has anyone started a Fire Sharp petition yet?
The Collective
AG
Sharp isn't getting fired. He is empire building which is exactly what the big money people want.
Yell Practice
houstonag2008
Texas A&M continues precipitous drop in college rankings. The latest is the USWNR in which we have moved downward over 20 spots in the past 10 years.

https://www.texastribune.org/2015/09/09/rice-and-ut-climb-us-news-rankings-m-drops/

Plenty of land grant colleges have grown past their original intent into an academically elite university while still maintaining school pride and spirit (Florida, Ohio State, Georgia, etc).

I hope Michael Young has a plan to slow growth and focus on quality.
Richardson Zone
AG
We're no longer a top 25 public university.
FightingAggie
AG
20k signatures couldn't even get the seal changed, let alone get a high ranking exec fired.
houstonag2008
What can we do to make a difference?

Has anyone heard Michael Youngs plan on this?
Ray Finkle
I'm interested in hearing ideas too..

Anyone have any precedents or examples of how other schools alumni have handled a situation similar to this?
houstonag2008
This is against everything that vision 2020 represents.

Why are we reporting blinn team numbers with our class profiles and why are we accepting everyone with access to student loans?

I don't want to complain, I want to do something.

Where can we start?
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
Ahem...
http://time.com/money/4026487/best-colleges-rankings-us-news-money/?xid=yahoo_money

...don't even know why I waste my time w you guys and your thread full of prevarications anyway.

Ok. go back to grinding your axe.
TAMU bball fan
Nobody cares how Money Magazine ranks colleges. More parents and students look to USN&WR report than any other resource when picking a college. That's a fact.
MaysGrad09
quote:
Nobody cares how Money Magazine ranks colleges. More parents and students look to USN&WR report than any other resource when picking a college. That's a fact.
greg.w.h
AG
The Money comments on the USNWR ranking are thoughtful. I think the USNWR ranking largely validates the status quo of education tribal lore. There is zero justification in the methodology for either huge changes or how the stupid expensive universities are always the top pick. But none of that is specifically either a direct argument for or against 80,000 students.
MidTnAg
AG
From my limited experience, USN&WR is definitely the most read and used evaluation of colleges by parents and prospective students.
TAMU bball fan
This is alarming

SAT rankings in Texas (May '15):

Math:
1. Rice
2. UT Austin
3. SMU
4. UT Dallas
5. Trinity
6. Baylor
7. Austin College
8. Texas A&M
9. TCU
10. University of Dallas
11. Southwestern
12. Texas Tech
13. St. Edwards

Reading:
1. Rice
2. SMU
3. Trinity
4. University of Dallas
5. UT Austin
6. UT Dallas
7. Baylor
8. Austin College
9. Southwestern
10. Texas A&M
11. TCU
12. St. Edwards
13. Texas Tech
houstonag2008
Email our administration.

Cap enrollment and grow the quality of our entering class.
JeffHamilton82
quote:
This is alarming

Math:
1. Rice
2. UT Austin
3. SMU
4. UT Dallas
5. Trinity
6. Baylor
7. Austin College
8. Texas A&M
9. TCU
10. University of Dallas
11. Southwestern
12. Texas Tech
13. St. Edwards

Reading:
1. Rice
2. SMU
3. Trinity
4. University of Dallas
5. UT Austin
6. UT Dallas
7. Baylor
8. Austin College
9. Southwestern
10. Texas A&M
11. TCU
12. St. Edwards
13. Texas Tech

Please provide a link with the data.
SA-AG72
AG
Staff, please move this thread to the Academic forum. TIA
houstonag2008
I'd like to see a link as well.

If this is true it adds further fuel to the fire of capping admissions.
Ranger1743
AG
http://collegeapps.about.com/od/sat/a/top-texas-sat-scores.htm

Here's the link, not sure if it's posted correctly. It's embarrassing what our university has become.
houstonag2008
quote:

Here's the link, not sure if it's posted correctly. It's embarrassing what our university has become.
Disgusting.....

I'm sure adding 25% to our incoming freshmen classes in the last few years has contributed greatly to these statistics.

We need to raise admission standards to stand out among other texas universities.

Anyone can be university of Phoenix. Having 60k at college station isn't special.
biobioprof
quote:
Staff, please move this thread to the Academic forum. TIA
The academics forum is more for current and future students with more specific issues, from what I've seen. Things like: which prof should I take for some business class.
JeffHamilton82
quote:

How can we be sure these figures are accurate? And how much affect does the top 10% rule affect our scores?
houstonag2008
I would bet that the Blinn Team numbers affect those statistics more than the Top 10% rule.

Jackass2004
AG
More proof that the college bubble needs to pop asap.
Martin Riggs
AG
quote:
quote:
Ahem...
http://time.com/money/4026487/best-colleges-rankings-us-news-money/?xid=yahoo_money

...don't even know why I waste my time w you guys and your thread full of prevarications anyway.

Ok. go back to grinding your axe.

Sorry, but no ranking system that places BYU as #15 is worth a damn.

Being an engineer I don't care so much about the general university rankings. I'm honestly not sure how reputable those even are. I care, but I'm mostly concerned with the engineering school's ranking. And it comes in #12.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-engineering-schools/eng-rankings

For my particular field UT's program is ranked better though. I did undergrad at TAMU and then transferred to UT for grad school which is where I'm at now. So I suppose if A&M goes down the crapper having a diploma from each should protect me
Traveler
AG
quote:
This is alarming

Math:
1. Rice
2. UT Austin
3. SMU
4. UT Dallas
5. Trinity
6. Baylor
7. Austin College
8. Texas A&M
9. TCU
10. University of Dallas
11. Southwestern
12. Texas Tech
13. St. Edwards

Reading:
1. Rice
2. SMU
3. Trinity
4. University of Dallas
5. UT Austin
6. UT Dallas
7. Baylor
8. Austin College
9. Southwestern
10. Texas A&M
11. TCU
12. St. Edwards
13. Texas Tech

Holy S**t!
That is highly troubling.

And before all you "SATs are meaningless/useless" people come out of the woodwork, the SATs are objectively highly predictive of a students performance in college.
12thmnfromflotown
AG
quote:
I would bet that the Blinn Team numbers affect those statistics more than the Top 10% rule.

I've had some of these Blinn Team kids work for me and I can tell you that most of them aren't the brightest crayon in the box. Not to say there aren't outliers that are quality students but, on average they're not traditional A&M material
Diyala Nick
AG
UT Dallas is quickly becoming one of the better universities in Texas.

houstonag2008
Email our administration if you don't want to be another Texas third tier college.

I have received a response from several members of our admin. It was encouraging.

They will not know how we feel unless we voice our disagreement with the current trajectory.
AggieBill005
AG
Interesting thread, but this statement is false:
quote:
the SATs are objectively highly predictive of a students performance in college

While the SATs are significantly predictive of first year college GPA, they account for less than 20% of the total variablity in first year GPA (depending on which article). Of note, High School GPA is more predictive of college GPA than SAT scores.

Not saying SATs are useless, but the are just one piece of the puzzle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.