Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

285,858 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Bill Superman
TXAggie2011
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Trying to dismiss as "militant PC-bull****" what is happening at Missouri isn't going to solve the problems or settle anyone down. Obviously race issues invoke a lot of emotion and passion, and lead some folks to say idiotic things or to call for the firing of the wrong person(s).

But its that same passion and emotion that requires we have serious discussion and discourse about race and equality in the United States.

In sum, your's and other's playing loose and fast with big words like "fascism" isn't helpful.

I'm more interested, however, in seeing if you can articulate why this is even relevant to the thread or if you're just throwing **** against the wall and hoping something sticks.
Sid Farkas
AG
Relax...You should re-read previous posts before asking that.

Someone pointed out how much better UW-Wisc is than A&M based on the odor of unicorn f*arts or some useless biased poll they read on the Internet...I pointed to facts that prove A&M is superior to UW-Wisc (UW is part of the university culture that encourages aggressive PC Nazis and A&M doesn't)...while also highlighting a growing pervasive problem with this pathology across academia...(incl further evidence related to Mizzou's self destruction). Click the links and learn something

A culture of militant social justice has been coddled for decades across university campuses. however thankfully not at A&M. Hence we have a much better environment for learning, personal enlightenment, etc...
cecil77
AG
You're confusing many, many issues Sid. We all want the best for A&M. But whistling past the graveyard and using cute euphemisms like "unicorn farts" don't address the problems we have. And while some may overstate A&M's problems, ignoring them with the attitude of "well, at least we aren't like THEM!" doesn't help us at all.

Like it or not the USNWR rankings absolutely DO mean something. No, they shouldn't be over reacted to, but they also shouldn't be ignored.
TXAggie2011
AG
I did read it. Several times trying to figure out what you were talking about.

Someone said they toured Wisconsin and thought it was much prettier than our campus and wish we had nicer buildings and also mentioned they wish we had the quality of student found on their campus.

At which point after you called Wisconsin a beacon of liberal hell, someone said they have good sciences programs, too.

You then entered into your diatribe about fascism on college campuses around the country.

Again, I'll ask if you're just throwing **** at the wall?

p.s. There is little doubt that the academic programs at Wisconsin are highly respected and that graduates of Wisconsin often go on to have highly successful and influential careers. That university has a long history of graduating leaders.

p.p.s. I know they've had some peaceful protests about race, but so has Texas A&M. I'm not even sure the facts support your assertions.
Aggball2010
AG
When the USNWR rankings affect the income levels that A&M graduates make, I'll start to GAF about them.
TXAggie2011
AG
I'm concerned about Texas A&M and that's not based on the USNWR rankings.

While that's an oft-cited number, there's certainly more to it than that.

cecil77
AG
quote:
When the USNWR rankings affect the income levels that A&M graduates make, I'll start to GAF about them.
A tech grad could say the same thing. Would you be OK if our USNWR rank was the same as tech's?
coldmoose
quote:
quote:
A tech grad could say the same thing. Would you be OK if our USNWR rank was the same as tech's?
Sadly I think it might not register with some in charge until it gets to those levels.
gopgabe
AG
quote:

?

Last year I provided an application to A company and it asked where your degree was from.

The schools listed were at the top of the USNWR. Employers care, even a little.

It should matter.

Frankie T
I'll bite. What was your major and what industry and type of company were you applying to? I'm just curious as to what companies are not seeing TAMU as a quality institution.

When you say "the Universities listed" are you saying that on a job application it asked where your degree was from and then gave you a list of Universities to choose from? If so this seems odd since there are an awful lot of Universities.
Science Denier
AG
You folks realize that the 70% admittance rate includes programs such as Team Blinn? These are not all full acceptance and I don't know why we include them in our acceptance rate.
SlackerAg
AG
We really need to remove the Blinn numbers from the acceptance rate totals. It's not even a system/satellite school.
gopgabe
AG
quote:
I'll bite. What was your major and what industry and type of company were you applying to? I'm just curious as to what companies are not seeing TAMU as a quality institution.

When you say "the Universities listed" are you saying that on a job application it asked where your degree was from and then gave you a list of Universities to choose from? If so this seems odd since there are an awful lot of Universities.
It was CarMax, I believe. I'm a CompE and was applying to a software dev role.

It stated to say to select whether you were from a certain list of schools. I guess they give higher priority to those people.
Schools you'd expect MIT, CMU, Harvard, etc.
Public schools: UNC, Michigan, UVa, Florida, Georgia, and yep even Texas on that list. A&M was not.

I had to select "Other". It was a bit annoying because, guess what, TAMU is public institution on par with those schools.

45-70Ag
AG
A&M is not on par with UVA, Michigan or UNC academically.
J2theB
Your education is what you make of it. Learn what they teach you and you will have an education commiserate with it coming from the 68th ranked university. Learn as much as you can about a broad range of subjects beyond just whatever your major is and you can compete with anyone. If I were to rely on someone to teach me everything I know vs choosing to learn about things that I wanted or felt I needed to know then that is my own fault.
gopgabe
AG
quote:

Let me rephrase that. Theyre all large public institutions with a ton of resources. Texas, a school of comparable size and resources to us, evidently is on par with them. We arent, but why would that be?
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:

Let me rephrase that. Theyre all large public institutions with a ton of resources. Texas, a school of comparable size and resources to us, evidently is on par with them. We arent, but why would that be?
We are on par with them (actually better IMO)

A few reasons IMO for the misperceptions...including, but not limited to

1. tu gets respect points for historically excelling at the higher profile, traditionally respected disciplines: medicine, law, business, liberal arts, etc...while A&M churned out (metaphorically speaking) the blue collar grads in agriculture and engineering. Society writ large and the elites who are in positions to pass judgement on 'what's better' have a certain bias as to what constitutes value.
2. tu has gotten 2/3 of puf and lion's share of other resources for a long time...esp important when it was an even larger part of the school's budget...tu built themselves into being the big dog for decades...our greatness is relatively new...perception is in a time lag

One reason why we're better: as prev posted...most flagship universitiy campus cultures have degraded over time due to political correctness (incl tu)...while A&M's culture stands for the exact opposite: ideology.

A&M provides the best (not perfect, but the best overall) environment for young people to live while enriching their minds. IMO it's not really close.
cecil77
AG
quote:
A&M provides the best (not perfect, but the best overall) environment for young people to live while enriching their minds. IMO it's not really close.
Have you been a student on campus, or been the parent of a student on campus in the past 10 or so years?

Your perceptions are not, in general, shared by those who have. The environments are not all that different anymore. We are not immune to political correctness.
Sid Farkas
AG
Yeah. I'm there a couple of times each year.

There has always been a subculture of misfits and malcontents at A&M. I estimate that while their numbers have grown, their actual content is still around 2% (Many of them posting on this thread)
cecil77
AG
My experience, both personally, and from having a very involved child on campus is much different from yours. Our student body is little different from the student body in Austin. Maybe some differences in political viewpoint, but even those are minimal.
GreatSullysGhost
I'm glad that this thread has gotten more readable and on-topic as time has gone by.
TXAggie2011
AG
I've been a student at both UT-Austin and Texas A&M. 2+ years in Austin, 4+ years in College Station.

I've spotted very few differences. The one that sticks out is that my time at UT-Austin has proven to be much intellectually stimulating and thoughtful than my time at Texas A&M.

That I will just chalk up to graduate vs undergraduate school, although I fear that's not completely the reason.

I still think there is a useful observation and that is my graduate school on the whole is a collection of higher achieving, more thoughtful students than I encountered in undergraduate. It's made me a better student, it's made me a better professional, and it's made me a better citizen.

And that takeaway applies to undergraduate studies. The more thoughtful, the more ambitious, the better I think the academic experience is going to be at the undergraduate level, too.

Is the student body here on the whole more liberal than the student body at Texas A&M? I suppose so but its not really noticeable to me nor do I think it's detracted in any way from my studies. If anything, the diversity of views here make it a more stimulating environment.

In the end, contemporary undergrads and graduate students at both schools grew up in the same neighborhoods, went to the same grade schools, played on the same little league teams, and they both go drink alcohol, play video games, chomp on cafeteria food, play pick up games at the gym, and all in all, look, talk, and act about the same.

If you have a strong visceral reaction to anything you perceive as "misfit" or "counterculture" then parts of Austin are certainly not for you...but as far as the universities and the university community...

Sid, I honestly believe, is making a big issue out of nothing.
hiphopfroggy
Soon TT and aTm will be indistinguishable.
gopgabe
AG
quote:
Soon TT and aTm will be indistinguishable.

If someone asked you the diff between TT and A&M what would you say?

(Name, bevels here instead of there, Lubbock vs CStat)

Research money is one, but that only partially benefits undergrads. Alumni network another.

Why would someone be incentivized to send their kid to A&M over TT?
MaysGrad09

quote:
With the Regents meeting this week there should be some signal as to how resources will be allocated to the proposed hiring programs and strategic direction.

EDIT: There's an item on the Regents' agenda to approve an authorization to request the Governor to grant a waiver from current legislation to exceed the state mandated cap on FTE by 290 hires.There was an existing request from 2016 to hire another 252, with the Regents' authorization that would increase another 38. That's about two-thirds of the stated increase necessary to reach the t.u. ratios.

So not enough.
MaysGrad09
The engineering school is 35% bigger since announcing the 25 X 25 plan. Up to 15,000 students from 11,000. Operation Diploma Mill is in full effect.

Link
SEC 2012

quote:
The college will gain five to eight new online master's programs that will help drive an increase in online master's students from 300 to 4,000.
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/texas-a-m-crafting-a-bigger-better-engineering-school/article_6bfdda0a-8da6-5172-80bf-77114ec7108e.html

You can get an A&M engineering degree online?
Finally
My anecdotal story.

One reason I've added a blue-blood graduate school to my resume was to reduce the effect of A&M's slide.
2004FIGHTINTXAG
Thanks John Sharp.
gopgabe
AG
quote:

quote:
The college will gain five to eight new online master's programs that will help drive an increase in online master's students from 300 to 4,000.
http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/texas-a-m-crafting-a-bigger-better-engineering-school/article_6bfdda0a-8da6-5172-80bf-77114ec7108e.html

You can get an A&M engineering degree online?

Yeah, but it won't be a liberal PC degree.
Ranger1743
AG
Why do people go back to this? We are not saying that liberal arts degrees are worth anything, we are saying the entire school and particularly engineering are being devalued. No one is talking about PC here and frankly it has nothing to do with the discussion.
gopgabe
AG
quote:
Why do people go back to this? We are not saying that liberal arts degrees are worth anything, we are saying the entire school and particularly engineering are being devalued. No one is talking about PC here and frankly it has nothing to do with the discussion.
Because Sid Farkas. There's good news on campus as far as some students being aware of the issues. But by the time everyone realizes it, it'll be too late.

aggie_fan13
AG
What the hell does PC culture have to do with academic ranking ?
BMX Bandit
quote:
My anecdotal story.

One reason I've added a blue-blood graduate school to my resume was to reduce the effect of A&M's slide.

Specifics please.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
What the hell does PC culture have to do with academic ranking ?
quote:
You can teach a student a lesson for a day; but if you can teach him to learn by creating curiosity, he will continue the learning process as long as he lives.

Clay P. Bedford
...there's no shortage of quotes on education. Google will kick out thousands of em...

I don't know how rankings became the end-all metric for quality of education. Maybe it's just an easy/simple thing to reference for comparison and competition?

I will assert that A&M provides a comparably unbeatable environment. One that defies stunted curiosity. ref prev posted examples Mizzou and UW-Madison. Those are places where unconventional (read: anti-PC) thought is punished and dogma substitutes for enlightened thought. (Very unhealthy for developing minds)

I don't know who clay Bedford is, but I'll bet he'd say A&M is relativley a much better place to instill curiosity, thus better preparing students for lifelong learning.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.