Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

80,000 A&M students in 10 years

285,855 Views | 1687 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by Bill Superman
greg.w.h
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just fail a lot of students arbitrarily. That will improve our image among academic snobs.
cecil77
AG
Using the term "academic snobs" doesn't help. That very thinking is a "snobbish" in it's own way.
Texas A & M
A&M is soaring up the law school rankings. 14th nationally in intellectual property law.

2017 USN&WR Law School Rankings:

15) UT-Austin
45) SMU
50) UH
55) Baylor
111) Texas A&M
123) Texas Tech

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings/page+5
Texas A & M
quote:
The Commerce-based law school, which was acquired by the Texas A&M System three years ago, tied with Columbia University and the University of Pennsylvania on intellectual property, while it came in 28th for part-time law school programs and in the top 60 for publicly operated law schools.

Overall, the law school jumped 38 places to be ranked 111.

In a statement, A&M System Chancellor John Sharp called the ranking an "extraordinary achievement, especially given the fact that we weren't even on the list in 2014."

http://www.theeagle.com/news/a_m/texas-a-m-graduate-school-programs-rate-well-in-u/article_05e8d242-eb93-11e5-9495-0f875f55f05c.html
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
A&M is soaring up the law school rankings. 14th nationally in intellectual property law.

15) UT-Austin
45) SMU
50) UH
55) Baylor
111) Texas A&M
123) Texas Tech

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-law-schools/law-rankings/page+5
Yeah, there's plenty of jobs out here for new attorneys.
annie88
AG
quote:
More students is a bad thing??? Da fuq???
80,000? Yes, that's a bad thing. 50,000 isn't even a great thing. Now you know.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:
Maybe Annie will tell us the formula for determining optimal enrollment...she must have special insight...and a high level of confidence to put out the 'I'm exhausted by you dummies' emoticon on her reply.

...and in case you're new to this thread: the 80k figure was never suggested by anyone at the university...it was a figment of some poor poster's imagination which gained faux legitimacy on this thread thru blind repetition
Texas A & M

quote:
Business Schools
16. University of Texas at Austin (17)
25. Rice University (33)
31. Texas A&M University (27)
37. University of Texas at Dallas (33)
48. Southern Methodist University (48)
57. Baylor University (58)
63. Texas Christian University (63)
A&M fell in the business school rankings...behind Rice now and way behind UT.
cecil77
AG
As it turns out Annie does have special insight. If you knew her you would know that.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
As it turns out Annie does have special insight. If you knew her you would know that.
I guess I should take her word for it then...

But wait! If you only knew who I really am you'd believe me instead!!

So...the formula pls?
HBCanine08
AG
quote:
quote:
cecil77
AG
Her many years of posting history, both here and I AO. Plus a total lack of snark and meanness in her posts. Plus her employment.
MaysGrad09
Any word on how big the incoming class will be this fall?
Yell Practice

Bad Plan
biobioprof
Just got this in my email from Chancellor Sharp:
quote:
I was upset to read in the Sunday Eagle that I was quoted as saying that A&M students were in high demand not because of academics but because of the type of students they are.

Of course I would never say that. The quote I used--and use frequently--is not JUST because of academics but also because of the type of students they are.

Mistakes happen but I want no one to think for one minute that I would ever say anything negative about the great academics here.

The Eagle will be correcting the quote, but I wanted to contact you directly.

Thanks.

John Sharp, Chancellor
jml2621
quote:
quote:

15) UT-Austin
45) SMU
50) UH
55) Baylor
111) Texas A&M
123) Texas Tech

Yeah, there's plenty of jobs out here for new attorneys.
Not sure if serious.

Cause there aren't for a 111th ranked program...
jml2621
quote:
Just got this in my email from Chancellor Sharp:
quote:
I was upset to read in the Sunday Eagle that I was quoted as saying that A&M students were in high demand not because of academics but because of the type of students they are.

Of course I would never say that. The quote I used--and use frequently--is not JUST because of academics but also because of the type of students they are.

Mistakes happen but I want no one to think for one minute that I would ever say anything negative about the great academics here.

The Eagle will be correcting the quote, but I wanted to contact you directly.

Thanks.

John Sharp, Chancellor

Freudian?
AgCPA
AG
The problem from what I am told is that the leadership is only seeing the dollars coming in and not caring what it takes to continue providing a good education. A student at tamu is already underfunded. This only exacerbates the problem.
StarBurns
AG
I just toured UW Madison and I must say that their campus makes our main campus look like absolute ****.

I wish we could steer ourselves to more of their model. Quality of both students and buildings/infrastructure over quantity.
Federale01
AG
quote:
I just toured UW Madison and I must say that their campus makes our main campus look like absolute ****.

I wish we could steer ourselves to more of their model. Quality of both students and buildings/infrastructure over quantity.
Same with Michigan, UVA, UNC or pretty much any of the rest of the higher ranked public schools.
SlackerAg
AG
We should let vines grow on the building walls, to cover up the plain brick. Rice does this & it does help.
Texas A & M

quote:
Since fall 2012, Young said the number of students has increased by 16 percent while faculty and staff have only seen increases of 12 percent and 6 percent, respectively.

In fall of 2014, the student-to-faculty ratio was reported as 23.1 to 1 as compared with the 22.1 to 1 statewide average for that year.

As a reference point, Young said the University of Texas had a 19.1 to 1 ratio. To achieve that, he added Texas A&M would need to add nearly 450 additional faculty members.

To get to the ratio the university wants, Young said it would require an intake of hundreds of new faculty members.

http://www.theeagle.com/news/local/financial-report-to-a-m-regents-has-young-looking-toward/article_b28293a9-bca3-5ffa-bcba-5e483b429b9c.html
ScoutBanderaAg956
AG
Why is growth a problem? Should we revert back to 1,000 students?
45-70Ag
AG
So the choice is between 80,000 or 1,000
ag2003
AG
We need to focus on quality over quantity.....bigger isn't better but it seems we just want the title of biggest and be damned with the quality.
FightingAggie
AG
quote:

Except that it's covered in snow 6 months of the year.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:

Except that it's covered in snow 6 months of the year.
And Wisconsin-Madison is PC liberal hell just like 98% of the country's state sponsored flagship universities.

Do not want.
Ranger1743
AG
Their sciences are also excellent. But glad you've thought through the important part.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
Their sciences are also excellent. But glad you've thought through the important part.
As if A&M's science sucks.

Putting BS Usn&wr rankings aside, we're a much better place to send your kids to be immersed in a sane and healthy intellectual alternative environment compare to the being force-fed a self-validating, unchallenged (and viciously militant) PC doctrine they can expect from places like UW-Mad.
cecil77
AG
Spent a lot of time there have you?
Sid Farkas
AG
Here's an example of what is happening (to one degree or another) and most college campuses:

So sad...

Yes, I have spent enough time working in Wisc with UW-Mad grads to know its not much different than Mizzou in this regard...someone please correct me if this is commonplace at A&M these days.

Edit: didn't take much googling to find this about UW-Madison:

More 'sad'...
gopgabe
AG
quote:
Here's an example of what is happening (to one degree or another) and most college campuses:

So sad...

Yes, I have spent enough time working in Wisc with UW-Mad grads to know its not much different than Mizzou in this regard...someone please correct me if this is commonplace at A&M these days.

More 'sad'...

I agree with you that the PC mentality is taken too far at some places.

However, you make it seem like we don't have instances of weird mentality here.

• Corps jizzing on dead dogs and placing it on the band field.
  • The TAMU student tweeting racist things at recruits - happened yesterday
  • Students yelling racist things at high schoolers.

Odd mentality has nothing to do with the academic rankings nor does it have anything to do with academic quality.

Young has even said recently that we were understaffed given our enrollment.

Given that statement - that we are understaffed - do you honestly believe we are providing the optimal education to the state's students?

TAMU bball fan
quote:

quote:
Since fall 2012, Young said the number of students has increased by 16 percent while faculty and staff have only seen increases of 12 percent and 6 percent, respectively.

In fall of 2014, the student-to-faculty ratio was reported as 23.1 to 1 as compared with the 22.1 to 1 statewide average for that year.

As a reference point, Young said the University of Texas had a 19.1 to 1 ratio. To achieve that, he added Texas A&M would need to add nearly 450 additional faculty members.

To get to the ratio the university wants, Young said it would require an intake of hundreds of new faculty members.

Surprise surprise the quality of education is getting worse at Texas A&M.
Fitch
AG
Literally the next sentence in the article speaks about improvement.

quote:

To get to the ratio the university wants, Young said it would require an intake of hundreds of new faculty members -- a feat he said would be possible should the proper resources become available.

For fiscal year 2015, the ratio had dropped to 22.7 to 1 for the university.

In both its four-year and six-year graduation rates, Young said the university finds itself well above the state average at 56.4 percent and 84.9 percent respectively for fiscal year 2015. During that same year, the state averages were 32.7 percent for four-year graduations and 59.3 percent for six-year graduations.

With the Regents meeting this week there should be some signal as to how resources will be allocated to the proposed hiring programs and strategic direction.

EDIT: There's an item on the Regents' agenda to approve an authorization to request the Governor to grant a waiver from current legislation to exceed the state mandated cap on FTE by 290 hires.There was an existing request from 2016 to hire another 252, with the Regents' authorization that would increase another 38. That's about two-thirds of the stated increase necessary to reach the t.u. ratios.
Sid Farkas
AG
quote:
quote:

So sad...

More 'sad'...

I agree with you that the PC mentality is taken too far at some places.

However, you make it seem like we don't have instances of weird mentality here.

• Corps jizzing on dead dogs and placing it on the band field.
  • The TAMU student tweeting racist things at recruits - happened yesterday
  • Students yelling racist things at high schoolers.

Call me when A&M's 'problems' are not just stupid, crude, weird...and merely alleged misbehavior by less than a dozen students...

The death of a university at the hands of PC fascists

This is the future of big state universities if they aren't careful.

...And Bowtie didn't deserve this

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.